OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

nepenthes

Received the head sculpts in the mail. Thanks so much.

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 <a href=Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Img_2612" />

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Unpainted and together like this they almost look like pieces of (neo)classical sculpture.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

ukshaun

Both sculpts look great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

nepenthes

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 1_pain10
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 2_loga10
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 3_jess10

Started work painting them after watching tutorials on Youtube. I already have some acrylic paints so I went with that medium. The tutorial I decided to follow suggested starting with painting everything black, and then layering from there. So, I painted the heads with successive layers of black paint, thinned with water to keep the bulk down. One thing I did learn was that I should have washed the sculpts off before painting. There were certain areas where the paint would not stick. I have read that there can be remaining residue on 3D printed or resin elements and it's a good idea to wash them well before painting. It cost me a layer of paint to have to wash the sculpts off after the first coat, thereby losing that coat, but subsequent coats lay down fine. It took about 5 coats to completely conceal the resin.

nepenthes

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 4_laye11
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 5_laye11
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 6_loga11

Since I'm using acrylics I used a blowdryer to dry all the black layers and was immediately able to start putting down color layers. I downloaded screen shots and behind-the-scenes pictures of the characters for reference.This was how the sculpts looked when I finished up for the evening. I drybrushed color on the strands of hair: a brown mix for the Jessica sculpt and raw umber for Logan.

nepenthes

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 1_jess10
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 2_jess10
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 3_loga10

Further along painting. I've put more detail on the Jessica than the Logan so far. It took longer to get in around all the delicate hair elements around the ears. I also need to remain cognizant that I shouldn't be adding a lot of layers that will add bulk to the sculpts. It's also quite difficult to keep the brushes as pointy as possible to keep the area being panted as small as is necessary.

nepenthes

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 5_jess10

Here's where I have stopped on the Jessica figure for the evening. The lines in the hair were looking pretty harsh, but I put a gel transparency coat over it and that helped meld the paint lines together better. It's hard to see here, but I even have some tooth-color white paint on the teeth between the open lips. When the skin color is to my liking I will go back in around the edges of the hair and cover over the paint that's almost impossible for me not to get on the edges of the hair. The tutorial I followed suggested getting silly putty to spread on where you don't want paint transfer to happen.

nepenthes

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 4_loga10
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 6_loga12
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 7_loga10

Progress on Logan. I had gotten the skin color on, and started on the eyes, when I realized I had made the skin too pale. I put a wash over the skin to bring the lightness down and tomorrow I will layer the skin color up again. It looks dirty now but I'm not leaving it that way. Pretty happy with the eyes so far. The second picture shows how well the transparent overlay on the hair has worked to bring the colors together. I think I will get two real transparent overlay paint, one for the blond hair and one for the brown. By the way, did I mention how awesome these sculpts are? Thank you.

Ovy

Ovy
These heads are in high demand it seems. Still have to watch the movie, haha. Intresting technique with the shiny hair.
And yes, 'in between' shots when head painting can be scary, sometimes they look like pale or burned zombies until they are finished.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Layering the way you are doing it is the best way I find to do realistic skin tones. One thing I find intrusive on most painted sculpts is how folks think they need to add highlights and lowlights to skin — if you layer the skin correctly, dark to light, with thinned paint, the “skin” should have enough “translucency” to allow natural light to give the same effect — and, to my eyes anyway, looks natural enough under changing, or any, light conditions. “Makeup”, and highlights in hair, are a completely different matter.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 C8485110

ukshaun

ukshaun
nepenthes wrote:[url=https://servimg.com/view/20295381/13]
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 5_jess10

I like the colors used on her mouth.
The pupil on the right side (left eye) could use some re positioning. I am known for being hyper picky when it comes to eye's. I used decals, and still wasn't happy.

nepenthes

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 13696910
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 13719910

Work done on January 8. The eyes still need work.

ukshaun

ukshaun
nepenthes wrote:Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 13696910
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 13719910

Work done on January 8. The eyes still need work.

They have a certain loose style, reminiscent of a painting, rather than hyper realistic.
I'm not sold on the hair color. They are heavily zoomed in/blown up.
I like the lightness levels of JA skin tone. My JA has a suntan.

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Update-23rd-Jan-2021-3
LOADING: Image(s)

ZombieTestSubject

Great commission, Stryker2011. And interesting paint job, nepenthes. Hope you've kept going, although I was enjoying the artsy effects.

frunombulax

I found this site a couple weeks ago while searching for a Jenny Agutter head sculpt when I decided I needed a Jessica 6 figure in my life. I'm currently in the middle of the painting process of this marvelous sculptLogan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Img_0714
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Img_0715
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Img_0716
. Here's a few phone pics. Man, you can really pick out the flaws in pictures!

frunombulax

A couple more...
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Img_0812
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Img_0813
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 Img_0717

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Screw that traitor and his female pair up!  We want Francis 7!   Now THAT’S a Sandman’s Sandman!

Seriously though, both sculpts look great!

ukshaun

ukshaun
@Stryker2011

Any news on your Jessica figure?
Did you ever post the Jessica portrait to be painted?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hi Shaun, nice to see you back. I did send the head to 357Partment to get painted (I think back in April), it took nearly a month and a half to get to Korea. I contacted them a couple weeks back and they said it was about 60% done. No photo updates. I received both her outfits, but there’s still things I need to figure out (belts and her slippers; I have the ankh, but I still need to get something for her chocker).

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:Hi Shaun, nice to see you back. I did send the head to 357Partment to get painted (I think back in April), it took nearly a month and a half to get to Korea. I contacted them a couple weeks back and they said it was about 60% done. No photo updates. I received both her outfits, but there’s still things I need to figure out (belts and her slippers; I have the ankh, but I still need to get something for her chocker).

Thanks..
Go to hear the figure is still happening.
I used DHL to send the portrait, which arrived hyper fast (less than a week).
357Partment returned the painted portrait using standard mail, which took about a month.

It will be interesting to see the painted portrait, has it will be based on Jessica ref photo's.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I received my Jessica 6 head sculpt back from 357Partment today. While the hair has a nice healthy "shine" to it, it's a bit flat in the paint (ie, no real highlights/lowlights), but the face is absolutely gorgeous. Now I need to finish adding details to her outfit(s) and she'll be good to go.

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 _dsc3461
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 _dsc3462
Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 _dsc3460

ukshaun

ukshaun
Amazing how they painted teeth. The eye's look great. Eye's look more open than my paint app. Then again i provided images of the same person from a different movie.

Personally, i think the body you are using has shoulders that are possibly too wide, resulting in the portrait looking on the small side.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's a truly gorgeous paintjob, really pleased for you! And it's great to finally see them with their outfits!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Wow. Absolutely beautiful!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Actually I think they did an excellent job, Mark. Well done. Logan has some along very nicely too!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:Amazing how they painted teeth. I assume the reference image featured teeth.
i think the body you are using has shoulders that are possibly too wide, resulting in the portrait looking on the small side.

Yes. The reference pics I sent had her moth open slightly (but so did the sculpt). I agree, the body (the S19B) does have wider shoulders, but the outfit itself also has pretty “poofy” shoulders exaggerating the width more than usual.

skywalkersaga wrote:That's a truly gorgeous paintjob, really pleased for you! And it's great to finally see them with their outfits!

Xavion2004 wrote:Wow.  Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you, both. They really did a fantastic job — about 7 months from the time I sent it out until I got it back. Well worth the wait.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
The heads and figures look great!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks! Very Happy

ukshaun

ukshaun
Looking forward to seeing more photo's with different poses Smile
Maybe find away to make some images that are brighter, higher contrast.

Logan's Run: Logan 5 & Jessica 6 (both head sculpts) - Page 5 P04h7bd1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum