OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[5/20/21] Yo u n g a n d b e a u t i f u l A n t i n o u s

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Ovy

Ovy
Hey guys,

another group of post apocalyptic Europeans has been waiting for some time now.

The main ideas behind them:
- colorful painted tbleague bodies
- use those bodies' potential for more extreme dancing and flying poses, not typical for your average human, so I have to tailor a story were that makes sense
- putting those beautiful but rather specialized kissy/pouty facepool expression heads to permanent use and build character around them.
- surreal aesthetics and theme, dream like scenes. I watched Alejandro Jodorowsky's holy mountain to get in the mood, but it's less bloody here

I've written a rather long background story for them, but I don't want to bore you with this wall of text yet, as it wouldn't make much sense putting it beside the pictures. So a short introduction for start.

As whistling is important with them, I search YouTube for whistl covers. Found this gem.

Somewhere in former Spain, in the forgotten plains between forests, Mediterran and Atlantic Coast, there are people unlike any of the forest dwellers, Mediterrans and Cargonites, mostly untouched by outside influence for centuries.
It's not happening often that someone accidentally enters the lands of that unique culture. But when they do, they might think they stumbled into a dream: from the distance, you can hear the whistling of what seem to be songbirds, but soon one will wonder if birds are really capable of these strange and beautiful melodies, answering each other.

The next strange thing one encounters might be orchard trees, with painted tree trunks and connected with colorful bands and strange colorful effigies, whistling in the wind thanks to simple mechanical contraptions. Once in a while there is a totem or shrine of some pagan rainbow colored beings with funny faces. Or large, surreal stones contrasting the brown dust around them with their bright painting.

Then you might meet completely painted sheep and goats, with multiple little bells around their necks. You might see a strange greyhound, with pink, blue and green fur, wearing a crown and collar made of colorful feathers, guarding those melodic beings.

And finally, something - or someone - will whistle at you. A human figure will appear in the distance, maybe on the edge of a cliff, staring at you. Like their animals, they are completely painted in multiple colours, sometimes naked, sometimes with colourful clothing, the will spread their arms, sometimes with some kind of wings attached. You are not sure if they want to intimidate or just greet. They will whistle again patiently waiting for an answer, their faces often frozen in a funny, whistling expression.

If you don't show aggression or run away immediately, they will treat their guests very kindly, showing you their multi-colored huts, surreal sculptures and murals, serve you fresh food and sing for you. You will be swarmed by excited children, laughing, whistling and touching your strange clothing and equipment. For them, you are as alien and probably funny as they are to you.

They are one of this apocalypse's many mysteries.

I showed some body pictures in the seamless body colouring thread already and followed Epiphane's teachings.
I don't know which idea was there first, using the expression heads for funny crazy characters, or bodypainting. Anyway, it became an idea and was realized.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20191119-001125

Washing the body with water and soap, then freestyle oil pastelling, that simple.

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20191119-001222

She is a s16, he a M32. The M bodies don't come with a light skin like the S, so the colours look different.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20191119-234935

Very simple clothes, had to paint them later.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034423

I have only seen this expression with that braided hairstyle or a helmet, so I just had to experiment with new hair. A lot of experimenting with these people, I actually made that hairstyle some time ago as a training for Roqi, which I rooted days later.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-033636

I painted the hair in multiple colours with markers, later watered down acrylics.

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-033824
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034152

I painted the hands and feet and went nuts on the brown cloth with acrylics, while watching a dumb comedy movie with Will Ferrell and racing cars.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034017

His name is Hyufiht. Now with wrist clothing and pants in front of an old bedsheet I attacked with paint. The headband is from a multi-colored balloon.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-033009

And Fyyit. Their names are transcriptions based on the sound of their whistling language, they don't talk like we do. You have to whistle the name if you want to do it right.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-033407

These two met for the first time as babies, when they accidentally bumped their heads into each other while their moms cleaned them. They have been in love ever since.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035027

I will paint their faces too, but not sure how yet. Infinite possibilities.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034054

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034115

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034226

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034834

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-034945

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035104

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035146

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035257

Was not sure if I wanted a short or long hairstyle, so one side short, one side long.

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035325

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035338

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035423

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035457

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035525

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035632

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035717

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035818

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-035847

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-040033

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-040052

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200112-040128

Actually, there are some whistling languages still alive.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! So impressive. You make all that coloring seem easy, but I can’t even imagine how long that must have taken. All that work really paid off. I have that same female head, and I have an idea for it, but it would actually require some sort of diorama/scene to pull off the first thing that popped in my head. (That, and the head has a sort of rosy/yellow hue to it that’s hard to find a matching body for.)

Love what you’ve done here.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s C8485110

Diana

Diana
This is possibly the best 1/6 thing I've ever seen. Love it. I'm really feeling these two. Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very interesting... and educational. I had no idea about the whistling language of the Greek shepherds. The Jodorowsky influence is now obvious, although after having been prompted to do a modicum of research on him (like watching the trailer for Holy Mountain and a fairly substantial youtube documentary on his art), I find his work to be an exaggerated compendium of most everything I find annoying, self-indulgent, and off-putting in modern art -- personally (to each his own). Happily you appear to have stayed away from some of his excesses... That said, as always I'm impressed by and respect your work painting and accessorizing the figures and constructing your post-apocalyptic narrative. And what perfect choices of head sculpts and bodies, and almost psychedelic color scheme!

Thanks to the trailer, I can now borrow some ideas for myself, and hereby declare that any and all of my work is beyond the realm of criticism! Wink

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks to the trailer, I can now borrow some ideas for myself, and hereby declare that any and all of my work is beyond the realm of criticism! Wink

Is that really Jodorowsky’s attitude about his own work?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks to the trailer, I can now borrow some ideas for myself, and hereby declare that any and all of my work is beyond the realm of criticism! Wink

I don't know (he actually seems pretty cool in the clips from the interviews) -- it was a line from the trailer for Holy Mountain.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
These are perhaps the most colorful post apocalyptic figures ever. Their language and culture sound interesting tho I do wonder how dangerous they really are (You never know in an post-apoc world). The colors you use remind me of the Thranta riders Ralph McQuarrie had come up for The Empire Strikes back.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Their language and culture sound interesting tho I do wonder how dangerous they really are (You never know in an post-apoc world).

In the animal kingdom, bright colors like this are often (though not always -- e.g., birds) a sign (real or pretended) of being poisonous.

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Incredible use of the body coloring technique, very effective. I used to work at an outdoor haunted attraction and there was a demonic fairy scene with giant psychedelic styrofoam mushrooms all over the place (I actually got to paint some Very Happy). It was glowpaint so the whole place looked really magical at night. I can imagine how fun these figures would be to photograph in such a fitting area. Maybe at some point they use hallucinogen-laced blowdarts on evil invaders to further intensify their colors and appear as godlike deities or something?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
These are..... absolutely amazing!!!! Every time you come up with a new backstory and culture I think it's your best one yet, but then you go and do something like this! The body painting already looked great, but is even better in the context. I absolutely love the happy psychedelic vibe they have going, and the whistling language???? Incredible.  You call them 'Paradise Songbirds', and it really does seem as though they have their own little Garden of Eden together. :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

brassco

brassco
Amazing, Astonishing, Astounding! When i first saw that HS, frankly speaking, i don't know how to use it...and so this is how! Great photography too! This is a work of ART!

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! So impressive. You make all that coloring seem easy, but I can’t even imagine how long that must have taken. All that work really paid off. I have that same female head, and I have an idea for it, but it would actually require some sort of diorama/scene to pull off the first thing that popped in my head. (That, and the head has a sort of rosy/yellow hue to it that’s hard to find a matching body for.)

Love what you’ve done here.
Thanks a lot sir! I think the painting of hands and cloth took longer, painting the bodies was rather straight forward, starting with the light colors. I tried to not think too much while doing it as it would have slowed everything down. CA. 90 minutes for a body maybe.
Yes it seems the female head was rather made for a fully equipped soldier with covered neck. But well, it works if they are painted in multiple colours I guess...

AerynDiana wrote:This is possibly the best 1/6 thing I've ever seen. Love it. I'm really feeling these two. Very Happy
Wow, thank you, that means a lot! Glad you can feel them!

GubernatorFan wrote:Very interesting... and educational. I had no idea about the whistling language of the Greek shepherds. The Jodorowsky influence is now obvious, although after having been prompted to do a modicum of research on him (like watching the trailer for Holy Mountain and a fairly substantial youtube documentary on his art), I find his work to be an exaggerated compendium of most everything I find annoying, self-indulgent, and off-putting in modern art -- personally (to each his own). Happily you appear to have stayed away from some of his excesses... That said, as always I'm impressed by and respect your work painting and accessorizing the figures and constructing your post-apocalyptic narrative. And what perfect choices of head sculpts and bodies, and almost psychedelic color scheme!

Thanks to the trailer, I can now borrow some ideas for myself, and hereby declare that any and all of my work is beyond the realm of criticism! Wink
Thanks a lot, there are more whistling languages, more of that in the super educational part of this post.. ;D And I agree, that movie is rather bonkers, often tasteless, nasty, disturbing, insulting. But also very funny in a way. I heard of it the first time some years ago, found it interesting but then thought: Nah...I won't watch.
But when I was looking for 'dreamlike' movies - that really catch that strange dream atmosphere, not your average cliche Hollywood dream sequences - I found it again and gave it a try. Well and I like the music of it.

GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

I don't know (he actually seems pretty cool in the clips from the interviews) -- it was a line from the trailer for Holy Mountain.
Yeah, that line...I think he is right in a way that you can't compare that movie/piece/thing to a 'regular' movie. And he doesn't take himself very seriously, at the end of the movie he makes fun of the meaning of this movie and movies in general.
I wonder how he got that many extras and actors to participate in this messy movie, though. Laughing

Theboo-bomb wrote:These are perhaps the most colorful post apocalyptic figures ever. Their language and culture sound interesting tho I do wonder how dangerous they really are (You never know in an post-apoc world). The colors you use remind me of the Thranta riders Ralph McQuarrie had come up for The Empire Strikes back.
Thanks a lot! I guess they are rather peaceful. But one shouldn't underestimate them I think. And googled those Thranta riders, Cool stuff, typical McQuarrie.

GubernatorFan wrote:
Theboo-bomb wrote:Their language and culture sound interesting tho I do wonder how dangerous they really are (You never know in an post-apoc world).

In the animal kingdom, bright colors like this are often (though not always -- e.g., birds) a sign (real or pretended) of being poisonous.
Yeah, but in Europe it's mostly flowers and birds, I guess. And all those stuff humans made hundreds of years ago. But those mutated shellfish developed some nasty poisons.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:Incredible use of the body coloring technique, very effective. I used to work at an outdoor haunted attraction and there was a demonic fairy scene with giant psychedelic styrofoam mushrooms all over the place (I actually got to paint some Very Happy). It was glowpaint so the whole place looked really magical at night.  I can imagine how fun these figures would be to photograph in such a fitting area. Maybe at some point they use hallucinogen-laced blowdarts on evil invaders to further intensify their colors and appear as godlike deities or something?
Thanks! And that sounds like a fun job you had there. I thought about glowpaint a lot, I will try blacklight some day and maybe put some fluorescent color on maskes or cloth. Had this in mind for the forest people actually, but it's also fitting here.
And blowdarts make sense, had those in mind for the forest guys too.

skywalkersaga wrote:These are..... absolutely amazing!!!! Every time you come up with a new backstory and culture I think it's your best one yet, but then you go and do something like this! The body painting already looked great, but is even better in the context. I absolutely love the happy psychedelic vibe they have going, and the whistling language???? Incredible.  You call them 'Paradise Songbirds', and it really does seem as though they have their own little Garden of Eden together. :')
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it! Love that you get the 'happy psychedelic vibe'. Well it might be the last 'unique' culture I made, but who knows. And yes the context is really important for those, otherwise they would be your regular psychedelic Goa ravers. Glad you like the name, it's some kind of a placeholder or a name other cultures with spoken language call them.
And that 'Garden of Eden' idea comes close to some ideas I had, I recommend my wall of text down there. Wink

brassco wrote:Amazing, Astonishing, Astounding! When i first saw that HS, frankly speaking, i don't know how to use it...and so this is how! Great photography too! This is a work of ART!
Haha, thanks a lot brassco! I was also like...nice sculpt. But why so specific/without neutral version? Then I thought they might whistle. And that these two head belong together. So the headsculpt dictated the entire narrative in a way.

I started to paint Fyyit's face yesterday.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200113-145225

She looks more serious somehow, but it's not the mouth, I think it's the blue eye. Might tweak a bit later.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200113-145331

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200113-145437

So, now for the story. It's 'meta knowledge', so nobody alive in this world including our songbirds knows what exactly happened back then.

During the global pandemic outbreak, there were many places nobody cared about, left for themselves or presumed dead anyway.
In a remote, little Spanish village, before the outbreak, there was a young twenty-something. And he had a problem. He was one of the first to develop the symptoms of a condition later known as 'Deformed' - starting with skin changes and deformations on the first two days and loss of hair and teeth on the third. During that time, nobody knew that a large portion of the human race was already infected with a sneaky virus, silently killing after three days since incubation. And that these 'Deformed' were the only ones to survive a direct infection.
In this time, doctors didn't know what to make of the few Deformed that started popping up.
As our villager didn't want to go to the hospital, he spent three days among his worrying family.

On the morning of day three,  his family was dead in their beds. Confused and terrified already, he realised that he couldn't get through to an ambulance, could not even reach the 24/7 hotline doctors gave him to monitor his rare condition.
He had received some text messages of friends whose relatives died in the night. He answered them, but nobody ever answered back. He texted everyone he knew. No answers. Emergency broadcasts on TV and radio. The (censored) apocalypse. Looking in the mirror, now noseless and wrinkly, he thought: Was he some kind of zombie now? Was this hell?

Outside, in the village, it was silent, except some dogs barking. All cars still parked. He rang at every door, nobody opened. He forced his way into their houses. Everybody dead, except some pets.
He broke down, exhausted. His neighbours greyhound, Dali, helped him to get up again.
And then, they drove to the nearest town there was. Everyone here dead, some fires burning.

He was quite sure now, that he was the last human alive on Earth.

When he returned to his village, he found some solace in alcohol and started to bury his family and neighbours. It took too long, so he had to burn the rest. He collected ID cards and personal items to commemorate them.  Days of grief and processing passed.

In hopes to find some kind of answer or purpose, he visited a friend's home and borrowed some of his hallucinogens. The new vision made him paint a large portion of his house in multiple colours and patterns for a while.
It was quite therapeutic, so when he was finished with his own house, he dropped some color bombs onto his neighbours house.

Then he realised: Nobody is there to stop him. And everything that was owned by someone now belonged to him, actually. The era of ownership was over.
So he drove his neighbours Porsche to the nearest town again and plundered the stores. A lot of stuff was useless now. Flies, maggots and rodents feeding on uncooled food, so he collected durable and canned goods. Electricity, power grids and internet were slowly dying out it seemed, but all that stuff using batteries would hold for a while. That nice 600€ GPS device he always wanted, for example. As long as the satellites didn't crash...
Thinking of the inevitable decline of technology, he wondered when the nuclear power plants would start to blow up or leak. But he was a mutant now anyway. And he would not mind death.

Collecting consumer goods for free was nice for a time, but became shallow soon.  And the amount of food cans might already hold for some generations, if he weren't the last of his kind. His neighbours dentures helped with chewing, at least.
They had a nice house, elderly couple, some academic art people from the city. Last member of that family was the greyhound named Dali, his only friend now. Their art collection was not bad for the untrained eye,  but they had always wanted to own a real masterpiece.

Who would stop him now if he just went to Paris, abducting Mona Lisa? Until now, nobody had stopped him from using freshly printed 500€ bills as toilet paper. Because they were all dead, dead as the money, the banking system an the art market.
So he had a mission and took his dog for a bus ride.
First Target: Prado, Madrid. Nobody there! He stayed for some days, thinking about making it his new home. The fires in the empty city made him uncomfortable though, and all that sewage infastructure was failing too.

On another psychedelic trip, he painted all those naked little  people in Hieronymus Bosch's 'Garden of Earthly Delights' in bright colours. He regretted it a little when he had sobered up. It looked quite good, still. But he had no idea what an culturally important artifact this would be in the next centuries.

Next stop:
Barcelona, Dali Museum. Something was different here. At night he could see lights on the water. There were boats and ships. They didn't move, just anchored there. But all those giant crabs and other mutated sea life was walking the beaches, now totally unchecked by humans. Some car sized crabs were even walking through the streets.
Nobody at the museum, so he carefully loaded painting after painting on his bus, a piece of art on every seat, paid his respects to the master and brought them to his personal gallery, leaving it to the crabs, sewage and nature to create new surreal art.

The situation at Bilbao, Guggenheim museum, was also different. There seemed to be a camp, showing signs of recent human activity. Somebody definitely put up signs here. With a crossed out picture of himself. Or somebody looking like him, wrinkled, noseless, hairless, toothless and blueish. A note to please leave as this condition is contagious and deadly. There had to be more like him, he realised.

The next trip to Paris was cut short by massively clogged highways full of dead cars and rotting and burned people. When he walked in search of the traffic jam's end and a suitable vehicle, he saw a group of humans and ran to them, waving. Thanks to his Deformation he could not talk anymore, only grunt, moan and whistle.
They shot him before he could get any closer, than they fled.

He had learned the hard way that 'Deformed' were not welcome near healthy survivors. Accepting he would die of his bleeding leg wound, he crawled back to his bus and gave himself some first aid. His dog Dali ran away, excitedly barking.

In the evening, Dali returned to him, followed by a small group of humans looking Deformed just like him. They carried him into the forests and tended to his wounds.
Over a year had passed and the first humans he saw had shot him, only to be saved hours later by these 'monsters'. They communicated with him through writing, as they too lost the ability to speak. He also realised there were healthy newborn babies among them, immune to the virus.

When he had recovered, the forest dwellers asked him to be a part of their new 'tribe', a safe place for Deformed. But he declined, he had a quest and loved his village. He was joined by two forest dwellers in his quest to loot Paris. Those two didn't want to grow old in the forests and still had some adventure in them. These two had found a way to communicate through whistling, a language our villager slowly adapted. He also felt ugly among them, as they concealed their ugliness with cloth, masks, wigs and paint. And so he went full rainbow body color, hoping that nobody would shoot at such a beautiful creature like himself again.

During their great shopping tour in Paris, they encountered a moving tank in the streets!
And it was operated by a deformed COS soldier. He was happy to see someone, not caring how ugly they were. He wrote that he was a member of a special task force with a mission to shut down Europes nuclear power plants. He was the last survivor of his troop and stayed here after the mission.
So they rode a tank loaded with priceless art back to the village, population four and a dog named Dali.

It would not be their last tour. While motives varied, they visited many places in Europe, avoiding the coasts and camps inland.
Besides their now very colorful rainbow tank, they used old railways and even balloons to carry their goods. Whenever they met deformed, they handed them invitations, GPS devices, and maps leading to their little paradise. Many declined, accepting their new life in the forest, while some adventurous individuals followed those invitations.

And slowly, the village grew into a unique little haven full of hope, art, spirituality and unconventional knowledge, soon forgotten by everyone else when the last Deformed left this Earth...

93 years old, the 'young villager' was the last Deformed, with 11 children, 41 grandchildren, 133 great grandchildren and more on the way. His live had taken a unsuspectingly good turn. And no nuclear power plants had blown up, at least none nearby!
When one of his daughters found a wing contraption , a downed hang glider, he realised: Never in his life had he been on a hang glider. It was never too late! So he told them all to get up to the mountain.

And then he ran, wings attached, witnessed by all his people, as he ran over the mountain's edge and was flying, just like the colorful angel and bird people in his famous paintings. He flew and flew until he could not be seen anymore, faster than anyone could run.
That was the last time he was ever seen. Maybe he crashed, nobody knows. But his tribe celebrated and whistled in awe, sure that he had left this world and entered another paradise, becoming a legendary figure in the centuries following.

Today, this event is still celebrated in annual festivities. With a completely warped sense of history and their own mythology and legends, based on the art and old stories, experienced in lucid dreams, these villagers lead a secluded life. They have everything they need, ochards and gardens with more fruit and vegetables than they could ever eat, the knowledge of producing paints and magical plants, rainbow colored goats, sheep and chicken. Protected by feathered greyhounds...and some other mysterious figures at their borders, it is said.
With their colorful painted bodies and faces, dancing and running around happy and naked while whistling in a beautiful unique language, they leave every traveler absolutely confused, but always a happy, sometimes enlightened person.

And about that priceless art collection...every single painting and sculpture has been 'restorated' multiple times with different colours, using the technique they learned from their legendary ancestor.

[The original Garden of Earthly Delights. Notice Jesus on the left.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s El_jard%C3%ADn_de_las_Delicias%2C_de_El_Bosco
Thanks to the infamous Spanish 'fresco Jesus', from the nearby town of Borja, the lines between Jesus depictions, our ugly villager and this failed restoration attempt merged into one legendary figure.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s 24christ-span-jumbo

Finally, for those interested in docu-fastfood, the
Super educational part:

Turkish whistling language:

Spanish whistling language:

A Daliesque 360° video...don't know if it works on a PC but very cool.
https://youtu.be/F1eLeIocAcU

And finally, the infamous 'Holy Mountain' on YouTube, just the link. I only show there is a possibility to watch it, it's not a movie I would really recommend, it's a crazy, bloody, pervert, stupid, funny, intelligent, visually interesting, surreal, disgusting piece of film, watch at own risk. You have to be a logged in adult to watch it:
https://youtu.be/YG-LT80tzvU

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Interesting back story and docs. And I've got to say, you did a gorgeous job painting her face. I was worried about the outcome when I first learned of the plan, but I shouldn't have. If anything, you have made her look beautiful and glorious, a vast improvement on anything else that could have been done to her. Well done!
As for the whistling language, too bad some of us can't even whistle...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s an expansive history. And I agree with the Guv, you did a nice job with her face paint.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What a fascinating backstory! As an art history person and someone who used to work in an art museum, I found that part of the story to be especially interesting. The Hieronymus Bosch was a great detail. Wink Not many people focus on what happens to artworks during or after an apocalypse, and so I appreciate this unknown tale of the survivor-turned-'art collector', lol. 

And yes, the way the face painting turned out is absolutely beautiful! I love how it gives the whole appearance a very camouflaged feel -- if one were to require camouflage inside of a psychedelic, surrealist painting. :'D  

Thank you also for sharing the videos on the whistling.... in my linguistics courses I studied 'clicking' languages before, but didn't know much about this form of communication. It also helps to immerse us even more fully in your world. : )

GregT

I was hooked at the first pic on the morning of your initial post,
and then the whole storyline and character development exploded from there.
wonderful work!

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks to anyone reading all that backstory text!

GubernatorFan wrote:Interesting back story and docs. And I've got to say, you did a gorgeous job painting her face. I was worried about the outcome when I first learned of the plan, but I shouldn't have. If anything, you have made her look beautiful and glorious, a vast improvement on anything else that could have been done to her. Well done!
As for the whistling language, too bad some of us can't even whistle...
Thanks, very glad you like the outcome, was rather worried too as it's hard to imagine the changes. Started with light yellow as it didn't change the face drastically, then added the freckles and stripes etc. The lips were pink first, than half blue/pink and then blue, but I didn't like it. So back to pink.

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s an expansive history. And I agree with the Guv, you did a nice job with her face paint.
Thanks a lot!

skywalkersaga wrote:What a fascinating backstory! As an art history person and someone who used to work in an art museum, I found that part of the story to be especially interesting. The Hieronymus Bosch was a great detail. Wink Not many people focus on what happens to artworks during or after an apocalypse, and so I appreciate this unknown tale of the survivor-turned-'art collector', lol. 

And yes, the way the face painting turned out is absolutely beautiful! I love how it gives the whole appearance a very camouflaged feel -- if one were to require camouflage inside of a psychedelic, surrealist painting. :'D  

Thank you also for sharing the videos on the whistling.... in my linguistics courses I studied 'clicking' languages before, but didn't know much about this form of communication. It also helps to immerse us even more fully in your world. : )
Thanks a lot, very glad you like it! I guess Europe has a very high density of art, unlike your traditional (often nuked) American/Australian desert wasteland. Although our rainbow people's restoration techniques might be the horror of any art historian. Regarding Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights, maybe I could print and rebuild the Triptychon in 1/6 and paint the little naked people in there in multiple happy rainbow colours?

By the way, found a song named after the painting by the Maestro. Has some cool hedonistic dark feral demonic vibes to it. I recommend reading the top comments, very accurate descriptions.

About that camouflage, I think they would be invisible in flower fields, as pre-apocalypic, one coloured plant monocultures are a thing of the past.

And you had linguistics courses too? You sure are educated!

GregT wrote:I was hooked at the first pic on the morning of your initial post,
and then the whole storyline and character development exploded from there.
wonderful work!
Haha, thanks a lot, my head really exploded there too! So many possibilities, you have to shut off parts of the brain and just start painting to combat overthinking.

Well, now I also painted Hyufiht's head, too. Looks like mix of a sad clown, mime artist,
Floki from Vikings, some guy from Rammstein, a rainbow beret jungle operator and Spud from Trainspotting.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200115-133819

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s IMG-20200115-122752-2

The color palette on the body was green, pink, blue, orange and black. I didn't use yellow as the body was too dark.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s IMG-20200115-123231

The black accents around the eyes were risky, but I like them, what do you think?
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200115-124601

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200115-125535

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200115-125623

Not sure yet about the hair, if I will leave him that way, turn him into rainbow Jesus with undercut and maybe a blue/pink Salvador Dali Mustache.
The texture painted blue reminds me of Van Gogh's starry nights, so I added oranges and yellows.
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200115-125833

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200115-130059

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think this one works very well too. I think the darker paint around the eyes is fine, though I wouldn't have done that "tear" (?) effect on the side myself. And they do look great together. Another win for your fantasy world!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Beautifully done. They both look good.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:

Thanks a lot, very glad you like it! I guess Europe has a very high density of art, unlike your traditional (often nuked) American/Australian desert wasteland. Although our rainbow people's restoration techniques might be the horror of any art historian. Regarding Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights, maybe I could print and rebuild the Triptychon in 1/6 and paint the little naked people in there in multiple happy rainbow colours?

By the way, found a song named after the painting by the Maestro. Has some cool hedonistic dark feral demonic vibes to it. I recommend reading the top comments, very accurate descriptions.[...

[...]

About that camouflage, I think they would be invisible in flower fields, as pre-apocalypic, one coloured plant monocultures are a thing of the past.

Of course, your work is just too awesome. I think the paintjob on his face is fitting. Maybe he was inspired by old images of mimes [or any of those people/characters you mentioned] he encountered somewhere. And they look great together, regardless of what you end up doing with his hairstyle. Smile 

And lol, the 'restorations' might be the horror of any current art historians and/or museum curators, but luckily they probably won't be around to see it. Wink A repainted Garden of Earthly delights would make a perfect backdrop. But then, as you say, so would a field of wildflowers.... 

Re: my education, oh goodness... probably more accurate to say I was just an over-eager overachiever in my younger days. Razz I actually have a B.A. in linguistics, specifically historical linguistics, along with minors in art history and English literature. Though technically I had accumulated enough credits to have done majors in all three.  After that I realized I could never just settle on a single academic subject, lol, so I went on to do my M.A. in interdisciplinary medieval studies. 

Originally I had started out majoring in fine art as my undergraduate degree, but, ironically enough, at the time I struggled in my 3D and sculpture courses, and eventually switched. :3

And thanks for that Ennio Morricone song... such a psychedelic rock feel. Love it.  Very Happy

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
For whatever reason I feel like walking into their territory is not only a surreal experience, almost like a dream but also quite unnerving for someone who might not be used to so much color, almost like walking into an unknown dimension or alien world, I don't think they will be invaded anytime soon. 😎

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s 1f60e

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Well that is just fantastic work and what a backstory!
I couldn't help but pucker my lips while scrolling through the pics.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ha, yes, they are truly that immersive!

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:I think this one works very well too. I think the darker paint around the eyes is fine, though I wouldn't have done that "tear" (?) effect on the side myself. And they do look great together. Another win for your fantasy world!
 Thanks. Yeah I had to be intuitive when painting these, thinking hinders the progress here. It just happened somehow. Very Happy

Stryker2011 wrote:Beautifully done. They both look good.
Thanks as always!

skywalkersaga wrote:
Ovy wrote:

By the way, found a song named after the painting by the Maestro. Has some cool hedonistic dark feral demonic vibes to it. I recommend reading the top comments, very accurate descriptions.[...

[...]

Of course, your work is just too awesome. I think the paintjob on his face is fitting. Maybe he was inspired by old images of mimes [or any of those people/characters you mentioned] he encountered somewhere. And they look great together, regardless of what you end up doing with his hairstyle. Smile 

And lol, the 'restorations' might be the horror of any current art historians and/or museum curators, but luckily they probably won't be around to see it. Wink A repainted Garden of Earthly delights would make a perfect backdrop. But then, as you say, so would a field of wildflowers.... 

Re: my education, oh goodness... probably more accurate to say I was just an over-eager overachiever in my younger days. Razz I actually have a B.A. in linguistics, specifically historical linguistics, along with minors in art history and English literature. Though technically I had accumulated enough credits to have done majors in all three.  After that I realized I could never just settle on a single academic subject, lol, so I went on to do my M.A. in interdisciplinary medieval studies. 

Originally I had started out majoring in fine art as my undergraduate degree, but, ironically enough, at the time I struggled in my 3D and sculpture courses, and eventually switched. :3

And thanks for that Ennio Morricone song... such a psychedelic rock feel. Love it.  Very Happy

Thanks a lot, also for your education history. You will be a lot of help if I need to know something Razz

rollotomasi wrote:Well that is just fantastic work and what a backstory!
I couldn't help but pucker my lips while scrolling through the pics.
Ha, great to hear!

You cracked a secret code btw:

Pucker lips

Puckerlips

Puckerlyps

Puckerlypse

A Puckerlypse

Apuckerlypse

Apocalypse

Meanwhile, a new contraption has been formed. The following conversation is roughly translated from the whistling language. Fyyit encounters Hyufiht, Hyufiht is sitting on the floor, woodworking.

["Hyufiht, what is it you have there?"] 
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-001244

["Fyyit, I am working on a contraption."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-001357

["Hyufiht, what kind of contraption?"]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-004438

["Fyyit, I will not tell."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-001540

["Hyufiht, I will find out."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-001627

["Fyyit, I am sure you will. Look."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-001708

["Hyufiht, I look. It is a foldable contraption."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-001759

["Fyyit, a foldable contraption indeed."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-001938

["Hyufiht, very foldable."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-002128

["Fyyit, it can also spin."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-002401

["Hyufiht, let us spin it together."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-002454

["Fyyit, you can guess what this is?"]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-002555

["Hyufiht, I do, I guessed the contraptions purpose."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-002755

["Fyyit, I am sure you do, what is it then?"]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-002848

["Hyufiht, I will not tell. I now pick up and unfold a contraption myself."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-003005

["Hyufiht, it is a pair."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-003327

["Fyyit, indeed, they belong together."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-003421

["Just like we do."]
[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-003544

[5/20/21] Yo u n g   a n d   b e a u t i f u l  A n t i n o u s PSX-20200208-003624

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think they make a cute couple...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum