OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Repairing joints with springs and elastic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
Apologies this is not in the tutorial section as I wouldn’t recommend anyone attempt it and I have no idea what I’m doing Wink the following will be a log of my adventures as I attempt to use various ball joint doll articulation techniques on a very broken enterbay nba body I have been given.

So upon buying some hands for another nba body I have coming, the seller mentioned I could have any wrist or foot pegs I wanted, because the body was broken... I couldn’t resist! As some of you know the enterbay nba shoulders are exceedingly stiff and the strength of the mechanism sometimes exceeeds the strength of the plastic peg holding in the joint. As you’ll see the previous owner had already attempted repairs, and this initial post will show you what I’m starting with.

If anyone can recommend a glue that works well on this type of plastic by the way I’m all ears! and if anyone has tried sugru on an action figure please also let me know how that went...

Repairing joints with springs and elastic Qq5A5Ii

My starting point. one shoulder and elbow snapped, and one leg.

Repairing joints with springs and elastic 7ps4bhl

The previous owner had replaced the shoulder peg but fused the mechanism in the process

Repairing joints with springs and elastic UUdkvyV

The socket - as I disassembled this for cleaning part of it disintegrated.

Repairing joints with springs and elastic HUBS1Lv

Legs broken off at the hip - joint is exceedingly stiff also.

So about the techniques I have two options. Both involve drilling out a straight channel through the limbs and cutting slots at the joints to allow mobility, then the broken parts will be reattached and tensioned with either elastic as in resin bjd, or springs and swivels like in porcelain bjd. Bits that need reinforcement or cosmetic repair I will try to mix a colour matching sugru as it is flexible and quite forgiving...

I have made more progress than this, stay tuned for more photos when I get some light.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Well, you are braver than I to tackle this sort of thing! Smile  I'm certainly intrigued to see your mods on this, as I wouldn't even have the faintest clue where to start.

ETA: Wish I could advise on the glue... but I have not really used glue on one of these types of bodies myself before. I know some people use superglue to tighten loose joints, but not sure if that would work for your purposes.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow, that will be an uphill battle, but I do hope you prevail. Coincidentally, I had a "black" Soldier Story body (I think), which ended up breaking at the place where the upper arm meets the shoulder (a favorite breaking point). I tried to glue around the broken peg so that it retains mobility, but the superglue I was using was weak enough to allow it to break again and again. I have moved on to Gorilla superglue, which I'm told is the strongest, but haven't had the heart to try the repair again. Maybe I'll come back to it one day.

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
Thanks! I’ll have to scour oscf.net to see what kind of glues. I have tried slow zap and moment crystal without much success but I think the surface for adhesion is just too small and I need to sculpt a new piece entirely or use sugru or something to hold large bits of it together.

I could also ask Enterbay for a new arm I guess 🤷🏻‍�Could you replace the shoulder joint on yours entirely, GubernatorFan?

@skywalkersaga I’ve tinkered with building dolls before but this is new territory. I tell myself it was totally broken anyway so I can hardly make it worse!!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
tinyumbrellas wrote:Could you replace the shoulder joint on yours entirely, GubernatorFan?

I suppose if I had an intact entire arm that went all the way up there, probably.

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
Maybe a sculpted joint with a screw for the peg? Hard to imagine the mechanism as it should be. I imagined for this one that I might use stop motion armature in the joint - just a steel ball pinched between two brackets. Still might if the springs or elastic don’t work...

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I have no clue what glue to use, I usually go for super glue but for pieces that move it might be too brittle as it isn't too capable of flexing. Something I can suggest is getting some lego technic ball joints and adapting them to the sockets, they would allow for movement.

Also is that the glue or did the previous owner use a soldering iron or something to make the holes on the arm and shoulder joint? looks like melted plastic.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Repairing joints with springs and elastic 1f60e

tinyumbrellas

tinyumbrellas
It’s glue but I think they also drilled out the peg and put a bolt in there! My method will be even more destructive but arguably more functional as it will restore vertical movement of the shoulder in the socket

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum