OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Empty Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:53 pm

djamesi

(. . . In terms of quality and historical accuracy, that is.)

I’m interested to get everyone’s insights/opinions on this topic.

Some possible candidates:
- ACI Knight Hospitaller
- COO Model Gothic Knight
- DML “Timeline” Knights DeKere and Arnaut (while Timeline was a fictional tale, the knights were well made and relatively accurate for the 14th Century, IMHO.)

Question

2Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Empty Re: Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:36 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That is a difficult question. There are so many types and periods to begin with, then consider all the sixth-scale iterations. I haven't had a chance to open up the boxes and reference books and look over them again lately. But I'd say this: Ignite/Time Silhouette made some figures that were very historically accurate, but were also very pristine (no weathering) and fairly early in the development of higher-end sixth-scale figures. ACI did some great work, but it remains incomplete, and I can't trust them to be completely accurate (judging by their Roman and Greek figures). CooModel does very impressive work, adds weathering (sometimes perhaps going too far), but also often imports armor, etc, from different periods or even from fantasy. That said, I would draw attention to the following knight, which looks fairly accurate and certainly generically representative of Late Medieval/Renaissance armored knights, if memory serves me right perhaps more specifically of what has been called the "Burgundian" type of armor (although it was actually Italian).

CooModel Knights of the Realm Famiglia Ducale

HERE was the product announcement on our site (the first single set, although the second and the combo set are probably about as good).

HERE you can check out the amazing articulation of the figure taking a knee. I was very surprised. That said, the cast metal is quite heavy, requiring plenty of caution and support.

3Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Empty Re: Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I can’t help you, I’m afraid. But, GubernatorFan and shazzdan should be able to help.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? C8485110

4Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Empty Re: Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 pm

djamesi

“That is a difficult question. There are so many types and periods to begin with, then consider all the sixth-scale iterations. I haven't had a chance to open up the boxes and reference books and look over them again lately. But I'd say this: Ignite/Time Silhouette made some figures that were very historically accurate, but were also very pristine (no weathering) and fairly early in the development of higher-end sixth-scale figures. ACI did some great work, but it remains incomplete, and I can't trust them to be completely accurate (judging by their Roman and Greek figures). CooModel does very impressive work, adds weathering (sometimes perhaps going too far), but also often imports armor, etc, from different periods or even from fantasy. That said, I would draw attention to the following knight, which looks fairly accurate and certainly generically representative of Late Medieval/Renaissance armored knights, if memory serves me right perhaps more specifically of what has been called the "Burgundian" type of armor (although it was actually Italian).”

Thanks, GF! I had completely forgotten about the Ignite series. In particular, the Outremer knights I and II and the German knight from that series stand out for me- they were taken straight out of Osprey Publications. Very well done.

I agree also with your assessment of CooModel’s Famiglia Ducale knight. Greatly improved from some of their earlier attempts (such as Richard the Lionhearted).

Additionally, I also recall the Cotswold Collectibles series of knights. Rare today, they used real metal but were heavy and unwieldy.

Would welcome any other thoughts/comments anyone else might have.

5Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Empty Re: Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:48 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
I've seen very few that are historically accurate. None of the Coomodel ones are even close and the prices they charge make them even worse. Brown Art did the most accurate knight but the pieces were made from cast metal and were very hard to fit together. I still haven't worked out how to get the shoulder pauldrons on mine. Cast metal is very thick and heavy so the figures have trouble holding poses.

Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? BWA-A0001S-4

They recently announced a second knight with the armour made from metal sheet, rather than cast metal, so should be a lot better. It isn't a perfect reproduction but not too bad.
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2300-new-product-brown-art-the-duke-of-saxony-coburg-1548-1-6-scale-action-figure-b-a0005m-war-horse-1-6-scale-action-figure-b-a0005h

Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? 11031

Don't use Osprey for anything except photos of extant artefacts. Their pretty colour plates are usually not very good. There are a few exceptions but not many.

6Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Empty Re: Best 1/6 Medieval Knight Ever Made? Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:47 pm

djamesi

Thanks, shazzdan. I agree-the latest Brown Art knight does look very promising- I hope that they will continue with their current trend-

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum