OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

The second figure representing the navy is here, I originally was going to post it on friday however as I was reviewing the photos for posting I noticed a few things I didn't like, since it was already late I chose to take the photos again today though this time around it was a bit cloudy. Historically speaking the navy that was in PR by 1898 was already a bit outdated, specially its weapons, nevertheless the navy continue to try to break the US blockade of San Juan, first on June with the ships Terror and Isabel II and then again on the 28 of the same month with the SS Antonio Lopez sadly (or thankfully depending on how you look at it) the navy was unable to break through the artillery on the US ships was just much better than what was on the Spanish ships.

The alternative timeline

The Spanish navy would continue to try and break through the blockade of San Juan but without being able to do so, the ships and artillery at their disposal where simply not enough to contend against the American ships. On June 28 the Spanish navy would finally accept defeat and return to Spain the crowds that had gathered to watch the battle, hopeful that the navy would come through was silent as the few ships where pushed out of the harbor. However this was not the end, in 1907 with the withdrawal of US troops and the island becoming an independent nation of it's own many of those that had fought to try and reclaim the capital would come back, now much older they would be received as heroes.  Yet the navy was perhaps the hardest hit, by 1915 it's ships and weapons where outdated and problems with smugglers would become more common as the years went on, by the 1920's and with the military reforms taking place the navy would seek to modernize itself, it was perhaps their desire for the same to never happen again that had pushed them to seek advisors much earlier on than the army.
During the 1920's and early 1930's the navy was mostly advised by British veterans, though some German and one French advisor where also present, the navy adopted a bit of everything though the British influence was more notable. Originally the navy had wanted to stop using leather and switch to canvas for their belts, harnesses and pouches but military standardization meant that was rather imposible, all pouches had to have the same number of clips and all harnesses had to be the same along with belts, this however didn't dictate design and as such the navy adopted it's own design. Additionally the navy was not to keen on using the calf length boots used by the army nor was it interested in the leather boots adopted by the air force, instead adopting the use of ankle length boots with either putees or gaiters. The navy was also the one force to adopt more than one uniform, with the typical navy uniform being used in both white and a dark blue, the ship's name was often embroidered onto the flap collar though servicemen that where on land duty did not have a ship name embroidered. By 1935 the navy had also adopted the stahlhelm both the locally made version and the bought one, the standard issue weapon was the karabiner 98k though some other weapons where also used particularly the Mauser c96, a favorite among the crews of smaller ships. Other pistols where also used, particularly by officers. A few modern ships where acquired along with better artillery and also quite a few ships where converted into navy ships, experimental ships included converting barges into harbor blockaders and even as a floating gun emplacement an idea that was almost instantly scrapped as soon as the experimental barge was made.
[Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico Lj3l4nx
[Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico 4Kthd9c
[Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico IpyagEd
[Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico N67C4uP
[Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico ZaCpEPV

Well there it is, this time around I remembered that the bayonet goes on the left side which is thanks to ThePhotogsBlog who kindly pointed it out (I tend to miss things sometimes). It was a fun figure to put together and actually my favorite even more so than the army guy, I still haven't figured out how to make an air force figure but I do have a bit of a colorful guy for next time. Well what can I say other than I hope that read isn't too long and for you all to stay safe and healthy during these weird times.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Not what I was expecting (the helmet), but nicely done!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice looking figure, and of course interesting alternate history. Nice to see you still working on these.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:Not what I was expecting (the helmet), but nicely done!

Thanks Gubernator, The original plan was to use a brodie helmet but the one have, produced by hasbro is too large, maybe as a knock off helmet it would have worked.

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice looking figure, and of course interesting alternate history. Nice to see you still working on these.

Thanks Stryker, I plan on making at least all branches though for the air force I'll have to look for some stuff since I don't have any pilot stuff. I also have another figure from the same nation that I plan on making, he's still a very rough draft tho.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Fake history] Navy of the Republic of Puerto Rico 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
Cool, that baby blue helmet gives him a fresh look, more unique and distinctive looking than the first one.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:

Thanks Gubernator, The original plan was to use a brodie helmet but the one have, produced by hasbro is too large, maybe as a knock off helmet it would have worked.

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice looking figure, and of course interesting alternate history. Nice to see you still working on these.

Thanks Stryker, I plan on making at least all branches though for the air force I'll have to look for some stuff since I don't have any pilot stuff. I also have another figure from the same nation that I plan on making, he's still a very rough draft tho.

For headgear, especially when you get around to doing your AF guy, have a look at this ebay seller. I have used him and the quality of his hats is good. He has a large selection and is constantly expanding his line.

https://www.ebay.ca/usr/banjoman1000?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ovy wrote:Cool, that baby blue helmet gives him a fresh look, more unique and distinctive looking than the first one.

Thanks Ovy, I was originally going to paint it white but while browsing my paints I came across that baby blue and I thought it would look great.

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
Theboo-bomb wrote:

For headgear, especially when you get around to doing your AF guy, have a look at this ebay seller.  I have used him and the quality of his hats is good. He has a large selection and is constantly expanding his line.

https://www.ebay.ca/usr/banjoman1000?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Thanks ThePhotosBlog, I'll browse their selection, so far on page one I've seen some cool items.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum