OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

One of my prior WIP's is here, an "arquebusier" or a hollywoodised gun powder rifleman, whichever is the most appropiate. The inspiration for this came from a long  desire to make a figure of the pike and shot era, it's an interesting period where armies are switching from swords and shields and onto gunpowder and artillery.

A bit of history

But still I'm centering in a specific area and that is Puerto Rico, most people seem to think that Puerto Rico is just a cool vacation place where nothing interesting has ever happened, oh are they wrong. In 1625 Boudewijn Hendricksz along with 17 ships made history by breaching the defenses of San Juan, his ships sailed past and out of range of El Morro and El Cañuelo and for two days he stayed in the harbor planning how to disembark his force of 800 men past the shoals that made landing difficult, this was more than enough time for the citizens of San Juan to flee inland leaving the walled city with only a handful of soldiers and militiamen.

Hendricksz entered the city unopposed and captured The Palace of Santa Catalina (La Fortaleza) after which the Dutch started construction of siege trenches and installed a cannon battery, El Cañuelo and San Antonio Bridge where also captured effectively cutting those on El Morro from all supplies. For the next two months there would be an artillery duel between the Dutch artillery and the Puertorican aritllery in El Morro, Juan de Amezqueta, already a war veteran would lead parties of men to assault the siege trenches. The fighting would last two months of back and forth with Hendricksz telling Juan de Jaro y Sanvitores (governor of Puerto Rico and commander of the troops at El Morro) to surrender. At one point Hendricksz said he would burn and raze the entire city to which Juan de Jaro replied  "We have enough courage and wood and stone to build again."

On October 22 the Dutch finally made their threats a reality, setting more than 100 houses ablaze, destroying the archives and the Bishop's library, Captain Amezqueta and Captain Botello would soon attack the Dutch, pushing them towards the sea and onto their ships, the city of San Juan would be freed from the Dutch however news of the liberation would never reach Amezqueta as he would be killed in the last minutes of fighting.

Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico 2zS3Zzt
Painting by Eugenio Caxés commenmorating the defeat of Hendricksz, it currently resides at El Prado museum.

The Figure

Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico 287h1cO
Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico PvxFEEV
Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico 14OlEkS
Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico OmGovqy
Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico RsKvFK7
Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico S7Nyi3R
Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico Fx9fvib

The figure is comprised of some bought items, those are the vest, shirt, pants, helmet and rifle(modified) the shoes, socks, belt, powder flask, baldrick, shot bag the "apostles" and the sword scabbard are made by me. The decision to use a pikeman's helmet was one based on looks rather than historical accuracy, a more historical accurate helmet would be a proper morion, a cabasset or burgonet as these are helmets currently residing in the collection of the ICPR and in the collection of El Morro and San Cristobal.  The apostles I made with a cut wooden dowell and the little bits drilled from the top, I don't have a thin enough bit to drill them on the side and my attempts just made them split, they are not great and I would like to change them. I sewed the shoes, these are the second try as the first try where for giants. The rifle is a modified Sideshow Tatooine Luke rifle made to look like a period rifle and that's about it really.

The next figure will still be about this period more or less, it will be a fun thing to put together just how this guy was, and with that, I bid you all a good weekend, and to stay safe out there and keep on having fun.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice history-based figure. One thing that keeps coming up in discussions of how movies mess up history these days, is the growing lack of colors to outfits. Your figure accurately celebrates historical color, and I appreciate that. Nice job re-historicizing (is that a term? it should be) a piece of Star Wars weaponry that probably started out (or was inspired) by what you are trying to portray. The helmet looks great. And your timeless street scenery works beautifully here, too.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
That's an awesome creation! Very original!

Valiarde

Valiarde
Yes this is a great looking figure. Really like the outfit here and also the little details. That sword is still sth I need to get for my pizarro figure, but i have time. Is it self made or bought from a set?

He fits to the backdrop very well.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice work! really nice detailing on his outfit! and nice colourful pics to really show him off! bounce

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great history lesson, and I really like the new figure. He’s one of my favorites that you’ve done so far. And don’t feel too bad about the Hollywood inspired elements — it’s virtually impossible for most of us to recognize fact from fiction at this point — excepting the hard core observers like Dan and Ian. Either way, I like all your handmade items — those shoes are really well done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico C8485110

A Man

Interesting research. Great piece of work.

PitViper

PitViper
Very nice work!!!

Chip

Excellent custom work , really interesting figure and photos .

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice history-based figure. One thing that keeps coming up in discussions of how movies mess up history these days, is the growing lack of colors to outfits. Your figure accurately celebrates historical color, and I appreciate that. Nice job re-historicizing (is that a term? it should be) a piece of Star Wars weaponry that probably started out (or was inspired) by what you are trying to portray. The helmet looks great. And your timeless street scenery works beautifully here, too.

Thanks Gubernator, prior to his vest having that nice green it was a very bright, wet floor sign yellow which I felt was quite simply too bright and didn't fit in with the rest, maybe I'm wrong about it not being too accurate but I prefered the green. My re-historicizing as you have put was done after noticing a slight resemblance to the real weapon.

TravelGuide wrote:That's an awesome creation! Very original!

Thanks TravelGuide!

Valiarde wrote:Yes this is a great looking figure. Really like the outfit here and also the little details. That sword is still sth I need to get for my pizarro figure, but i have time. Is it self made or bought from a set?

He fits to the backdrop very well.

Thanks Valiarde. The sword came from hasbro indiana jone's Mutt Williams, if you can find it parted out its a really good sword.

BAMComix wrote:Nice work! really nice detailing on his outfit! and nice colourful pics to really show him off! bounce
Thanks BAM!

Stryker2011 wrote:Great history lesson, and I really like the new figure. He’s one of my favorites that you’ve done so far. And don’t feel too bad about the Hollywood inspired elements — it’s virtually impossible for most of us to recognize fact from fiction at this point — excepting the hard core observers like Dan and Ian. Either way, I like all your handmade items — those shoes are really well done.

Thanks Stryker. I'm quite proud of the shoes, they are my favorite piece of all the stuff I put together for this guy too.
A Man wrote:Interesting research. Great piece of work.
Thanks A Man!
PitViper wrote:Very nice work!!!
Thanks PitViper!
Chip wrote:Excellent custom work , really interesting figure and photos .
Thanks Chip!

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Prepare, ready, FIRE!, somewhere in Puerto Rico 1f60e

Illusion

Illusion
a really nice figure. I like the detailed custom work on the accessories!!

Ovy

Ovy
Boo they are getting better and better! Before Reading I had no idea what was bought or self made. Those apostles look great (of course you have the ultimate critical look on them as you made them) I can only recommend getting a super tiny dine drill haha.
Every attempt at making 1/6 leather shoes ankle wraps are great too, nice red color contrast.

Thanks for the history lesson, that's nothing I would ever have learned in school. Agree with that Pike and lance period, very interesting (if you don't have to live through it), something I wanted to explore in a fantasy universe one day.

And finally we know where the door is: Somewhere.

GubernatorFan wrote:Nice history-based figure. One thing that keeps coming up in discussions of how movies mess up history these days, is the growing lack of colors to outfits. Your figure accurately celebrates historical color, and I appreciate that. Nice job re-historicizing (is that a term? it should be) a piece of Star Wars weaponry that probably started out (or was inspired) by what you are trying to portray. The helmet looks great. And your timeless street scenery works beautifully here, too.
Didn't you know? Back then it was all grey, brown and gritty. Soap was not available for faces, but at least they had great dentists and tooth hygiene. And if they were sexy/highly billed enough, they didn't need to wear helmets even. There was no point in wearing armor anyway as swords, the infantryman's main weapon, cut cut through mail and plate like cheese, instantly killing opponents.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Agree with that Pike and lance period, very interesting (if you don't have to live through it), something I wanted to explore in a fantasy universe one day. Didn't you know? ... And if they were sexy/highly billed enough, they didn't need to wear helmets even. There was no point in wearing armor anyway as swords, the infantryman's main weapon, cut cut through mail and plate like cheese, instantly killing opponents.

Indeed! I agree on all counts. And I've been meaning to compliment TheBoo-Bomb on those shoes too.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Illusion wrote:a really nice figure. I like the detailed custom work on the accessories!!

Thanks Illusion for your kind comments.

Ovy wrote:Boo they are getting better and better! Before Reading I had no idea what was bought or self made. Those apostles look great (of course you have the ultimate critical look on them as you made them) I can only recommend getting a super tiny dine drill haha.
Every attempt at making 1/6 leather shoes ankle wraps are great too, nice red color contrast.

Thanks for the history lesson, that's nothing I would ever have learned in school. Agree with that Pike and lance period, very interesting (if you don't have to live through it), something I wanted to explore in a fantasy universe one day.

And finally we know where the door is: Somewhere.

GubernatorFan wrote:Your figure accurately celebrates historical color, and I appreciate that..
Didn't you know? Back then it was all grey, brown and gritty. Soap was not available for faces, but at least they had great dentists and tooth hygiene. And if they were sexy/highly billed enough, they didn't need to wear helmets even. There was no point in wearing armor anyway as swords, the infantryman's main weapon, cut cut through mail and plate like cheese, instantly killing opponents.

Thanks Ovy, I'm glad that the time I spent on this guy shows on the custom stuff I made for him, the comments make me quite happy. I'll have to look for some small drill bits or a tiny drill for future stuff. And don't worry about not learning this in school, neither did I. 😁

This time period is something I've always found cool and interesting, but hard to replicate. I only managed to pull it off thanks to finding the helmet and sitting through quite a few photos of reenactors and period items.

I think hollywood has done a great disservice to the medieval period onward, yeah keeping clean might have been hard, if not complicated but there where ways to keep clean if not smell somewhat nice. The thing about colors is something else, even in fantasy/sci-fi we get browns and more browns, it seems their color wheels and palettes are broken.

GubernatorFan wrote:
Ovy wrote:Agree with that Pike and lance period, very interesting (if you don't have to live through it), something I wanted to explore in a fantasy universe one day. Didn't you know? ... And if they were sexy/highly billed enough, they didn't need to wear helmets even. There was no point in wearing armor anyway as swords, the infantryman's main weapon, cut cut through mail and plate like cheese, instantly killing opponents.

Indeed! I agree on all counts. And I've been meaning to compliment TheBoo-Bomb on those shoes too.

Thanks again Gubernator, I still have the pattern in case I need to make some more shoes.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
This type of work is right up my alley. Love the research you do, and your figures always have nice custom details that make them special. I really like the work you did on the shoes especially. Really nice job on this figure! cheers

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:This type of work is right up my alley. Love the research you do, and your figures always have nice custom details that make them special. I really like the work you did on the shoes especially. Really nice job on this figure! cheers

Thanks Tankgirlfuzzy, I'm glad you liked the figures and the research, though I would say I'm cheating by living here and knowing about it. ☺

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum