OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

First things first, I have a lot of figures in a variety of levels of completion, because of that I've decided to go for the easiest/more complete ones first. In this case it's another figure of my alt history series but this time set in the 1980's do not worry however I still have a few more figures set in the 30s and maybe 40's, some of you might recognize this guy as that mercenary I posted some weeks ago and you would be right, when the ideas are flowing almost nothing is safe.

So what have I done this time? Well I was going through my spare parts when I spotted this "chocolate chip" uniform, personally I don't use desert uniforms as I tend to have a hard time putting figures together for them but this time I decided to turn it into a green uniform, nothing hard really just painting the tan with some green and done, a totally new and different uniform. So with that said here's a little something.
The 1986 revolt

The 1986 revolt was the result of the assassination of President Juan Alfonso Iguina at the hands of a group of army and navy officers who carried out a coup. During the morning of October 24th, 1986 army and navy officers along with a small group of soldiers and guerrilla from the radical group "Ejercito Boricua" would break through the gates of the Santa Catalina presidential palace and execute the president and vice president, their respective wives and children who where not present at the time would be whisked away by the Presidential Guard and kept safe at one of the presidential safe houses. For the next couple of months there would be sporadic gun fights all over the island, martial law would be declared in order to keep the situation under control and only the most loyal units of the army and navy where allowed outside of their barracks.

Among the loyal army and navy units where the parachutist regiments, these regiments where different from the rest of the army due to their usage of camouflage, at the time the standard uniform was either green or tan and parachute regiments made use of their own camouflage based around the US "chocolate chip". This camouflage was produced locally and used from 1985 to 1994 when all military personnel where issued m18 woodland or a locally produced copy of the same. By the 1970's most of the Puerto Rican military had replaced their locally produced leather equipment with US made allice gear, the standard helmet which since the 1920's had been the local copy of the  stahlhelm was replaced by the 1960's with a copy of the M1 helmet (Casco Modelo 1960) still some units continued to use the stahhelm well into the mid 1980's causing foreign press to snap pictures of these soldiers wearing the most modern gear available and still using such old helmets.
Due to military culture and traditions the old helmets where turned into parade helmets and honor guard helmets, those that didn't end up in such positions where stored away at the Castillo San Luis, a fort built in the 1930's and turned into a massive storage facility for outdated military gear.
[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] 0fOFZ6V
[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] AykPndO
[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] AcAO9DX
[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] Bo5Twr1

Well that's all for today. I know that there's quite a lot going on and I personally thought about not posting this little story and photos today. The main reason I posted these where to show off my green chocolate chip uniform and share something with you all and because I needed a little break from giving knock off gargamel his hair regrowth treatment and putting together my one armored arm man fighting dude. I have a lot of ideas right now and I need to organize myself before I can start to make something, otherwise one of my figures will end up with a hair treatment.  
Well with that said I hope you all have a safe week, have some fun when you can and stay safe out there.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice figure, backstory, and presentation. And it looks familiar -- I think I own some of these pieces, from a set that came with an articulated horse.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Pictures and thanks for a lesson in History

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That uniform turned out great. Have you found the material getting stiff from being colored?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] C8485110

Ovy

Ovy
Wow Sir I think you really nailed it this time, mixing different eras and repainting the Coco chips. Got a 60s vibe from the gun at first, and then I realized the choco chips and it looked very modern/90s. I thought it's an official alternative version, but you made the sand green! I think it also looks good at the fringes, were the olive is still bleeding and a bit of sand color can still be seen.
And of course the helmet that gives it a very retro style. I wonder how the helmet would look with your olive choco chip as helmet cover.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice figure, backstory, and presentation. And it looks familiar -- I think I own some of these pieces, from a set that came with an articulated horse.

Thanks Gubernator, I'm unsure from where do the parts used come from, all I know is the choco chip uniform is dragon.

Ephiane wrote:Great Pictures and thanks for a lesson in History

Thanks Ephiane, I'm always up to the task of providing many fake history lessons.

Stryker2011 wrote:That uniform turned out great. Have you found the material getting stiff from being colored?

Thanks Stryker. I have painted a few fabrics with fabric medium and the results seem to be mixed, my civil defense guy's uniform is a bit stiff but not too much, the civil defense officer's pants and shirt are not stiff for whatever reason. In the case of this uniform I used fabric medium too but I added a few extra drops of water into the mix to thin it out and I think that might be the real secret since the fabric didn't get stiff.

Ovy wrote:Wow Sir I think you really nailed it this time, mixing different eras and repainting the Coco chips. Got a 60s vibe from the gun at first, and then I realized the choco chips and it looked very modern/90s. I thought it's an official alternative version, but you made the sand green! I think it also looks good at the fringes, were the olive is still bleeding and a bit of sand color can still be seen.
And of course the helmet that gives it a very retro style. I wonder how the helmet would look with your olive choco chip as helmet cover.

Thanks Ovy, I really like to mix old and new, specially when it comes to these sorts of things where outdated gear might be more common due to a lack of funding or a desire to change things due to politics and culture. The bleeding occured naturally, I tried to stop it from doing it but the paint does what it wants.

Additionally wonder no more for I have dug through my spare parts to find a choco chip helmet cover, not the same fabric sadly.

[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] IAN5E8q
[Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] APaKGHo

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt history] Trouble in Paradise, the 1986 revolt. [Now with helmet cover] 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He still looks very good. Smile I think I was also thinking of a Dragon set.

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I'm not much for history so I can't tell what's been altered or not, lol...but I appreciate the 'old school' vibe of the figures themselves. The B&W photos work especially well. Did you build that wooden door yourself? ...And look at that, another shoot involving a guy with his eyes covered by cloth - first me, then you, and also Ovy mentioned doing something similar with a character. Will this be national face-cloth covering week/month? Razz

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:He still looks very good. Smile I think I was also thinking of a Dragon set.
It probably is, I buy dragon stuff whenever I see it at a good price.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:I'm not much for history so I can't tell what's been altered or not, lol...but I appreciate the 'old school' vibe of the figures themselves. The B&W photos work especially well. Did you build that wooden door yourself? ...And look at that, another shoot involving a guy with his eyes covered by cloth - first me, then you, and also Ovy mentioned doing something similar with a character. Will this be national face-cloth covering week/month? Razz

Thanks AlkelAstra, all I did was change the camouflage from dessert to forest/jungle. I did make the door, it's made out of foam core that I pealed off and with a pencil gave it the wood grain texture you see, the rivets are just air dry clay I shaped into rivet heads. I think the use of face masks is affecting us all, pretty soon one of us will post a figure made out of face mask. 😄

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Good work! It turned out really well!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Good work!  It turned out really well!  

Thanks ThePhotosBlog.

Ovy

Ovy
Great job, looks very eighties now, despite a hundredish year old helmet! 

That door has seen a lot of history, is there a story to it?

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ovy wrote:Great job, looks very eighties now, despite a hundredish year old helmet! 

That door has seen a lot of history, is there a story to it?

Thanks Ovy, sorry for the late reply. I think the really old helmet adds something, what is I still can't figure it out.

The door has more history than a lot of places I think, I don't have a story for it since I was going to originally make more things that would at times hide it but I can come up with something for next time I use it. 😀

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum