OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Headsculpt reference building

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Headsculpt reference building Empty Headsculpt reference building Mon 17 Aug 2020 - 23:47

csyeung

csyeung
With the many available products out there and I have a growing collection of figures and heads, I was contemplating trying to make some kind of resource or reference thread for those interested on how some of these heads look in hand. I don't have a ton, but would involve maybe posting pics of the production with in hand photos, maybe a skin color comparison? I don't know, just brainstorming. I know for a collector, often it's difficult to find in hand pics of third party heads. Popular brands like hot toys, threezero etc may be much easier, but not so for third party. I guess you could search the forum for individual products, but sometimes you don't know the company or product number so it's much more difficult to search for. Poblem would be keeping it organized in a thread.
Also preferably it would be nice to have forum members contribute to it as there will be many heads I don't have.

Any ideas?

2Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Tue 18 Aug 2020 - 1:52

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is a good idea, but the question is how to achieve it systematically and uniformly, which would help for the purpose of comparison. Ideally, it would also entail collaborative effort, and yet that would likely make any uniformity impossible. For my own reference, I keep a catalog of the male heads I've picked up, all posed against a dark background on the same (CM?) torso/bust, and shot and cropped about identically. I haven't been updating it lately, so I'm a bit behind. I plan to do the same with the female heads, but the corresponding bust is still on preorder.

For example:
Headsculpt reference building Tomhar10

Or comparisons between the different renditions of the same individuals, like this:
Headsculpt reference building 6gosli12

Then there is the comparison of specific head sculpts to specific bodies, like these I did to answer someone's question (about head compatibility with Phicen's M30) :
Headsculpt reference building M30hea10

There is also an already existing -- though not necessarily exhaustive or always accurate -- database here:
https://armedfigures.com/t/headsculpt-database-caucasian-hispanic-a-j/1994/
https://armedfigures.com/t/headsculpt-database-caucasian-hispanic-k-z/2056

3Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Tue 18 Aug 2020 - 4:52

csyeung

csyeung
I quite like what you've done with your pictures. The ryan gosling comparisons is very cool. You can see what each company has done. The database link has mostly prototype pictures which as we all know usually tend to look different from in hand pics.

4Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Thu 20 Aug 2020 - 22:16

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
I'd be very interested in this as I make my customs. Even just a post with a picture of the head, the model number, and on a body with a note as to the skin tone would be an incredible help.

5Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Fri 21 Aug 2020 - 1:49

csyeung

csyeung
I'm wondering if maybe starting off with a head sculpt thread and adding in hand pictures frome everyone would work as a kind of slush file in the beginning and later collate later into something more organized. I had the idea before of just posting in the threads of new products which is always helpful, but harder to find. Also, in another forum, someone mentioned an ebay listing for a scarlet witch and the headsculpt in the picture looked more like a third party head than official. I think it'd be helpful at least for some people to compare and make their own decisions. There are differences but sometimes not as evident unless you get something to compare to.

Here's the head by the way. I'm also going to be adding some others I have I think after I get some clear shots in this thread at least to start off.

Headsculpt reference building 3rd_pa10

Third party Scarlet Witch. Not sure what company this is from, readily available on ebay. Matches with suntan tbleague although maybe a shade darker.

Here are a few more heads from my collection:

Headsculpt reference building Dsc00610
Master Team Charlize Theron (Comes in two hair colors, this is the A version I believe with pure blonde hair). This can work with Tbleague suntan or pale as it's somewhere in between. (thats a pale tb in this photo)

Headsculpt reference building Dsc00710
TS TOYS Lauren Begins. Skin color matches perfectly with the very cool suntan which is similar to tbleague new suntan. I feel like there are other versions of this sculpt floating around, but this is from this particular set.

Headsculpt reference building Dsc00928
SWToys Danvers . Matches tbeague suntan.  https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2223-new-product-swtoys-fs028-1-6-scale-danvers-figure?highlight=danvers+swtoys

Headsculpt reference building Dsc00611
Soosootoys SST003 One last time Logan neutral face

6Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Wed 26 Aug 2020 - 19:31

csyeung

csyeung
A couple more in hand pics of headsculpts.

Headsculpt reference building Ymtoys10

YMToys 020B . The head is a bit undersized for a regular sized phicen. Color matches phicen suntan.

Headsculpt reference building Cowpen10
Headsculpt reference building Cowpen11

COW PEN TOYS NB-002 I kinda like how it came out especially the hairstyle, although the skin tone is more pinkish than your phicen skintones. Size seems right for phicen or other figures. I currently have it on a cowgirl kitbash and fits for the most part.

7Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sat 3 Oct 2020 - 17:54

Diana

Diana
I’ve started on my collection and am trying out the format. Here are the first heads:

Included in this post (for searchability):

• Jing Tian (in the image of Threezero’s)
  • YMT09A ("blonde elf" by YMToys)
  • SDH018A (by Super Duck)
  • KT008 ("Natalie Portman" by Kimi Toys)
  • Charlize Theron (by Master Team)
  • KT004 ("Amanda Seyfried" by Kimi Toys)
  • Angela (by Wondery)

Headsculpt reference building 4b718310
Headsculpt reference building 60482910
Headsculpt reference building Ac223610
Headsculpt reference building 96265010
Headsculpt reference building Bfec1010
Headsculpt reference building 8dd87c10
Headsculpt reference building C0dc6810

8Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sat 3 Oct 2020 - 18:30

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those are beautifully shot and composed, Diana!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

9Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sat 3 Oct 2020 - 20:07

csyeung

csyeung
I like your format Diana! I have the Charlize head as well. I think it's made by Master Team. Lovely head in hand.

10Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sun 4 Oct 2020 - 14:05

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nicely done, Diana, I've been inspired to start cataloging my own female heads, especially now that the display bust is finally here.

11Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sun 4 Oct 2020 - 15:27

Diana

Diana
Nice one, GF! I was tempted by those. Smile

Glad the format works!
And thank you Stryker, I've added the info to the post (but too lazy to do it for the picture. Maybe another time. study )

12Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sun 4 Oct 2020 - 17:23

doodlehobby

AerynDiana wrote:

• Jing Tian (bootleg or Threezero?)

Headsculpt reference building 4b718310
It's definitely a KO of the Threezero HS. Here's the official head for reference:
Headsculpt reference building 26324495458_fd76509bf2_bHS Front 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Headsculpt reference building 26324495218_7d326c621e_bHS Front Angle 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Headsculpt reference building 26324495008_488b095efd_bHS Front Angle by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

13Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sun 4 Oct 2020 - 18:06

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Funny, to me the KO looks much better.

14Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Sun 4 Oct 2020 - 18:11

doodlehobby

GubernatorFan wrote:Funny, to me the KO looks much better.
That it does. Not sure if Threezero improved or not, but they have been known to not be able to match their proto pics.

15Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Mon 5 Oct 2020 - 18:48

Diana

Diana
Interesting! Thank you for the info. I don’t know what KO stands for but I get the meaning... ^^
I’ve updated the list and added Wondery’s Angela.

I actually think the original Jing Tian has more character and is more intriguing, but the copy is prettier.

16Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Mon 5 Oct 2020 - 19:16

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Probably true. KO = knock off. I also get lost in abbreviations sometimes, probably shouldn't use them myself.

17Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Mon 5 Oct 2020 - 20:08

doodlehobby

That's true. I would contribute, but I really don't have any third party head sculpts. But I should dig around and see as I can't keep track of what I have nowadays. Lol

18Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Thu 4 Nov 2021 - 9:31

csyeung

csyeung
Trying a new format, 360 video showcase, hopefully this helps get a better visual of some headsculpts.

First is the Elli head sculpts from cctoys last survivor (last of us 2), neutral and angry.

19Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Thu 4 Nov 2021 - 9:35

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice showcase, Craig. Love the music you chose; it's moody and even a little sad -- is it from the game?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Headsculpt reference building C8485110

20Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Thu 4 Nov 2021 - 9:42

csyeung

csyeung
no, it's a song from youtube's free audio library. (Early Avril - Unicorn Heads). Thought it fit the character. I think the second half of the song (not included here) gets way more upbeat though, haha.

21Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Mon 22 Nov 2021 - 15:49

csyeung

csyeung
Just got in a new head to try painting. Thought this one would be fun I found on feebay. (scarlet from Wandavision)

Headsculpt reference building Dsc02912
Headsculpt reference building Dsc02911
Headsculpt reference building Dsc02910

In hand, it looks like it's smaller than most. I think the closest is maybe this ymtoy next to it with the short hair with purple highlights, slightly larger than the katyusha. (L-R cctoys angry ellie, mttoys charlize theron, unbranded wanda, ymtoys 020b, HT Tom Holland)

Headsculpt reference building Dsc02914
Headsculpt reference building Dsc02913

I thought it'd be too small for most bodies, but looks like it can work on a generic, poptoys or s25b, especially once i add hair and her headdress. May work for a 27b as well i think.

Headsculpt reference building Dsc02916
Headsculpt reference building Dsc02917
Headsculpt reference building Dsc02915

kinda works on this body too!

Headsculpt reference building Dsc02918

It looks to be 3d printed and the hole for the neck is huge. Will have to fill it up a bit. There really isn't much of a bottom of the chin so I may fill that in a bit with  some apoxie sculpt before i paint it. Currently using a big wad of bluetack to keep it on the bodies for the comparisons.

22Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Mon 22 Nov 2021 - 16:28

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Interesting expression. Smaller heads can be a good thing, since many heads look too large on the more petite bodies. Generally, I would use foamies to fill up the neck hole.

23Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Mon 22 Nov 2021 - 17:06

csyeung

csyeung
yea it's a kinda exasperated look.

Headsculpt reference building Wanda-10

24Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Tue 23 Nov 2021 - 4:14

Diana

Diana
Interesting find! I think the proportions look best in that first picture.

I hope we'll get to see the finished paint job and character! Smile

25Headsculpt reference building Empty Re: Headsculpt reference building Tue 23 Nov 2021 - 6:11

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty cool grab, Craig. It’ll be interesting to see the outcome. It’s too bad the only way to get a comic accurate version of Elizabeth as SW is to get the Iron Studios’ 1/10 statue.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Headsculpt reference building C8485110

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum