OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
*Long Thread Warning!*
I had meant to just add a few paragraphs of historical context but ended up writing the following mammoth article below. For those who just aren't interested or can't be bothered, feel free to skip down to the pics and how-to stuff below. However, I feel the figure is simply not as interesting without knowing a bit about who this remarkable woman was, and how I came to know about her. And for any of you Japanese history experts who may find errors or misjudgments in my content, my only excuse is that I am not a Japan expert, but tried to do my research as best I could.

Please bear with me as this will require multiple posts to finish.

2Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Empty A little history first... Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:38 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Yamamoto Yae (山本 八重) (pr. Yah-eh) (1845-1932; Niijima Yae after her second marriage ) may well be one of the most obscure military history figures I’ve ever come across, and I believe that might even have been true in her native Japan until relatively recently. She shouldn’t be, at least IMHO. She might be the first woman of the gunpowder era to openly fight in a war as a female rifleman and soldier, without resorting to gender blending disguise (as some women did during the American Civil War, to give one example of women who fought in armies during that time).

Born to a lower level samurai in her native Aizu in the Tohoku (northeast) region of Japan (in what is today Fukushima prefecture), she was fascinated by and obsessed with the Yamamoto family’s hereditary vocation of artillery and firearms from a very young age. Needless to say, her father Gonpachi and her social circle were not exactly encouraging of this interest, and she resorted to stealing her father’s gunnery books to study them on the sly, teaching herself the basic knowledge of how cannons and rifles worked. At some point, either her father or her much older brother Kakuma (by 17 years) finally relented and began to teach her how to actually handle and fire these weapons, and by her late teens she had become a very skilled marksman. But her activity was limited to firing at targets in her home firing range and helping out in their gunsmith shop with maintenance and weapons development with her by-then husband Kawasaki Shonosuke, a peer of her brother and also a weapons expert (perhaps the only man who would consent to marry this “oddball” of a woman, as he himself put it).

Her limited firearms activity changed dramatically in 1868, when the final vestiges of the decaying Tokugawa shogunate collapsed during the Boshin War and Japan entered the Meiji era and rapid cultural, technological/industrial, and military change that transformed the small feudal country into a world power in just a few decades. The Boshin War was the final paroxysm in a process that really began when Admiral Perry sailed into Edo (Tokyo) Bay in 1853, beginning a period of social/political upheaval that culminated in the multiple rebellions and conflicts of the 1860s, in which several feudal clans (acting both independently and then in league) brought down the military government that had kept Japan at peace since the 1600s.

Unfortunately for Yae, her family, and her entire clan, the Aizu feudal lords were descendants of blood relations from the Tokugawa ruling family and fiercely loyal to the Shogun. So, when the last Tokugawa Shogun, Lord Yoshinobu, abdicated and submitted to the “Imperial” forces (in reality rebel/rival clans who had coopted the young emperor in a bid for power), the Aizu were branded the new “rebels.” Their once substantial army (one of the most powerful of the feudal clans) was forced to flee from Kyoto (where they were stationed as military peacekeepers) back to their homeland to await the inevitable punitive invasion force. In fact, the last remnants of Shogun-loyal clans (mostly from the north with close ties to Aizu) formed an alliance to defend themselves from whom they considered usurpers to the legitimate government, even though the new government now had formal imperial support.

(Confused yet? Don’t feel bad, it’s ridiculously complicated and byzantine and took me months to figure out, and I’m making an effort to keep it as simple as possible for people unfamiliar. I still don’t really know it well.)

When the last of the outer defensive perimeter cities and blocking forces were defeated by October of 1868, Aizu lay wide open to the imperial forces who quickly tried to press home their advantage with momentum. But Yae and her fellow compatriots had other ideas. Aizu had been slow to modernize with modern weaponry and tactics, but they were by no means totally unprepared. The French had been staunch supporters of the shogunate and had supplied them with at least 3000 of their breech-loading Chassepot rifles, as well as with military advisers some of whom ended up staying and fighting alongside their clients. However, most of Aizu’s soldiers were still equipped with older muzzle-loading muskets, and many samurai still relied on their katana and yari spears for combat. The rival clans Satsuma and Choshu were far more aggressive in acquiring modern weaponry, including Armstrong cannons and thousands of Minié rifles, as well as Enfields and Snider-Enfield breech loaders. More importantly they completely reorganized and rearmed using larger units of peasants trained to use them alongside their samurai, while the Aizu/shogunate side still clung to a more traditional samurai/ashigaru-reliant military model.

Yae’s younger brother volunteered early in the conflict and was sent to Kyoto where he was killed at the Battle of Toba-Fushimi, a crushing turning point where a small but well-armed Satsuma/Choshu force defeated a much larger but poorly equipped and led shogunate army. According to the TV series Yae no Sakura (more on this later), Yae put on her brother’s bullet riddled uniform, cut off her hair (and by that I mean down to the length of a modern long ponytail, which was considered short for a woman) and took her trusty Spencer repeating carbine (a gift from her elder brother Kakuma that he acquired from German arms dealer Carl Lehmann) with her into the main castle, joining the women, children, and elderly of all the samurai families who were required to enter the castle during times of siege. Many of these families did not, believing they would be a burden to the fight and over two hundred women and children of these samurai families committed ritual suicide in their homes rather than submit to the conquerors.

During the month-long battle, Yae fought as one of the rifle corps, occasionally leading squads due to her extensive tactical knowledge on how to deploy musket armed troops, as well as helping to direct artillery fire. She also helped the other samurai wives and daughters with their tasks of tending to the wounded, putting out fires, cooking, cleaning, washing, etc., and in some incredible instances extinguishing delayed-fuse cannonballs with wet blankets at extreme mortal peril. She participated in night raids into enemy camps, where her Spencer carbine held a distinct advantage. But perhaps most importantly, she fought as one of the men, using a rifle and leading them in western style line-fire or maneuver tactics. She did not wield a katana or naginata, or wear traditional armor and participate in glorious heroic combat, which would have followed a notable but limited heritage of the onna-bugeisha (female warrior). And she survived. Her father, a senior artillery officer, was killed in a virtually suicidal resupply mission, and her elder brother was long ago captured by the enemy and tortured to within an ounce of his life (he would recover, maimed and blinded, and eventually become a pillar of Meiji era Kyoto and educational reform). After a month of brutal shelling and pitched battle, the castle and the lord of Aizu finally capitulated, and most of the surviving clan forcibly moved to another domain while the rest scattered throughout Japan.

Yae would live a long and almost unbelievably eventful life, as if fighting with a rifle in war as a woman in 1868 Japan wasn’t incredible enough. She would: reunite with her brother in Kyoto; learn English; marry an American-educated Japanese Christian minister (Joseph Niijima, who stowed away on a ship and landed in Massachusetts where he graduated from Amherst) and convert to Christianity herself; help him found one of the first private English-language-based schools in Japan which eventually became an university system (the Doshisha in Kyoto); become a military nurse with the newly formed Japanese Red Cross, where she became a senior member who helped train nurses because of her experiences with battlefield wounds during the Boshin War; participate as a nurse in both the Sino- and Russo-Japanese wars around the turn of the century; and become the first non-royal woman to be given an Imperial medal (actually, two of them) for her nursing service during those wars (a most ironic thing given her past association with those Aizu “rebels”). Oh, and she also became one of the first female tea masters ever, as well as becoming proficient at flower arrangement.

Yae in her forties, long after the war and during her "happy years" in Kyoto:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Niijima_Yae
An elderly Yae, holding a rifle once again (not a Spencer I don't think):
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_old_with_rifle

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
It seems to me that by and large she faded into obscurity thereafter, despite an occasional mention in local lore and perhaps a minor supporting role in a few Japanese TV dramas over the years. That all changed in 2013, when her story and that of Aizu was featured in NHK’s annual taiga drama. In fact, Yae no Sakura (Yae’s Cherry Tree) was announced in 2011, several months after the cataclysmic Tohoku coastal earthquake and tsunami wiped out communities and took 20,000 lives. The programming people clearly wanted to give the region and country a morale boost, and what better way than to feature a heroine from a once important city located in present day Fukushima? It is interesting that Yae never had a statue dedicated to her until halfway through 2013, while the show about her was running, and the Japanese do seem to love their historical commemorative monuments. Far more celebrated in Aizu were the 19 teenagers who committed seppuku on a hill overlooking the castle, as well as Nakano Takeko, a naginata-wielding onna-bugeisha who led a small squad of similarly armed brave women on an essentially suicidal charge and was shot dead on the spot. Both of these subjects had statues and commemorative monuments erected for them long ago in Aizu, including, amazingly enough, a gift from Mussolini for the young teenagers who committed seppuku.

Yae's statue in Aizu today:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_statue

I think her conversion to Christianity may have had something to do with her lack of renown, as well as a persistent prejudice against northerners generally and Aizu in particular as being the “traitors” on the losing side during their civil war. In fact, the show did poorly in the national ratings after an initial surge of interest, although predictably the ratings in Tohoku remained consistently high.

4Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Empty The TV show... Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I only learned about her because I happened upon the first episode of that taiga drama which happened to be on Prime Video. For some weird reason Amazon only has the first episode out of 50 available, but after watching it I knew this was something special I had to watch, so I found a DVD set printed in Taiwan with English subs on eBay and bought it, and was so moved and astonished by it I watched it three times (35+ hours of episodes!). For those who know about these year-long TV series (and I didn’t; this was my first and only so far), they are an annual tradition dating back to the early ‘60s and have always been a big TV/cultural event, although the luster had worn off a bit by the time 2013 rolled around. NHK jealously guards its broadcast rights and the shows are virtually unobtainable in the US.

Yae was played by Ayase Haruka, who I thought was fantastic. She’s considered a perky and cute actress who’s known for her rom-coms and some silly comedies, but she also did Ichi, a sort of sequel to the legendary Zatoichi series, which some of you may know, as well as a beautiful more recent film called Our Little Sister (Umimachi Diary in Japanese). Anyway, the show is heartbreakingly sad, but the climax of the Aizu battle comes about halfway through and fills five episodes with some thrilling action, and gives us “Battle Yae” in her most unusual uniform and gear.

Show poster:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_poster

Production photography:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_runsYamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 IMG_0254

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
My first thought was: it’d be so cool to do a figure based on her, and then I thought, no way would you be able to find the requisite parts to even be able to start one, unless I wanted to scratch build everything. And then, a random search turned up Battlegear Toys, which makes Civil War uniforms that are very similar, as well as a Spencer carbine and a special cavalry sling to go with it! And when I saw the Butterfly Helmet Warrior from PopToys, I thought, that headsculpt could work… obviously not Ms. Ayase, but something about that expression and especially the simple ponytail felt right.
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 164101c248vj1pdgg882d8

6Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Empty The build begins... Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:04 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Her pants were more of a problem, since to me those striped bloomers (hakama) are part of the signature look. The only thing available comes from those old Alfrex samurai sets which now cost at least $300 each when you can find them on eBay, which is too much just for a pair of pants. I could find absolutely nothing else in 1/6 that even came close. But, I did find a 1/12 scale pair of full length pleated striped pants from a Wolverine samurai accessory set, and it was cheap enough I thought I could take a chance. When the pleats are let out they can just pass for a crude imitation of her hakama since they hit right at the knee. Below, you can see my first alterations to the tunic and pants:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090152

The pants needed a new pelvic seat area, so I cut up an old pair of desert BDUs I had laying around and stitched the legs to that. The area would be covered up so it didn’t matter too much:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090154
The tunic is almost the exact pattern she wears, except for the buttons. But I think they used plastic buttons on her costume tunic, which would have been anachronistic (perhaps they would have been painted wood?), and I’ve seen depictions of shogunate foot soldiers wearing tunics with gold buttons, so I think this reinterpretation works. During the show she tears the sleeves off her brother’s tunic and it exposes the inner crimson lining, so I had to replicate that:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090156
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090157

Eventually I realized I was too conservative with cutting in front of the seam and had to cut past the shoulder seams and it looked a bit better.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
During the show she starts with a blue and red hadagi/juban undershirt that looks nice and clean 
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 20201101_182944
but eventually gets the sleeves torn off and shredded to reveal a thin strip of dingy grey/beige fabric. I cut up this garment from the PopToys Nobushi set to achieve the same effect. Also, she quickly tears up her pants to reveal red silken underwear that hangs out from underneath, which eventually also gets torn up and dirty:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090155

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Luckily, Battlegear had the same pattern of cartridge pouch available, though I had to paint it black. In fact, it’s apparent the costumers took a WWII era type 30 or 38 ammo pouch and modified it by removing the straps for the oil bottle on the side, so I did the same with mine. But the hardest thing by far was scratchbuilding the other leather items: that strange leather left arm sleeve, the Blakeslee ammo box for the Spencer carbine, and the modified bayonet frog used for her wakizashi (short sword).

As I learned from my Eowyn cuirass, the key with complex leather shapes is making lots of rough prototypes, first from paper, and then from leather. You can never get it right from the start. Even after arriving at a “final” pattern, you have to make minor adjustments and trim to form-fit the figure you’re using. And, as insurance, always cut two of your final pattern in case you screw up when you’re doing final fitting/assembly:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090165
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090166
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090167
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090168
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090164

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I’m really not sure what function the leather sleeve performs. Perhaps it’s to protect against hot gun barrels? In the show it’s cut much higher on the torso, to almost just below the breasts. But I wanted to use it to thicken her waist area so I cut it much longer, and it makes it much easier to secure with the cords. She really needs as much volume as possible to fill out that oversized tunic so she doesn’t look like she’s swimming in it.
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090170
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090160
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090161

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Speaking of bodies, I decided to go with seamless TBleague simply because her right arm is fully exposed as well as a portion of her right knee. It’s almost not worth it, but I did want this to be a special figure, so I ended up having to try a few different ones. 19b was too scrawny (I thought it would be perfect), 29b was just too chunky and short armed, so I ended up settling on 23b, which I had thought would be too broad shouldered and muscular, but given the oversized tunic made for a male body, fit the best. None of them even come close to matching the skin color of the head, so I had to think of a way to deal with that, but put that off for now.

The leg armor and footwear took some searching. Initially I thought I could use the molded feet/sandals from the Butterfly warrior figure, but the foot pegs are totally different so no go. I ended up finding these beautiful handwoven waraji sets from China made from real bamboo twine and real fabric tabi that look very authentic and are the right dark blue color she wears. Problem is they are made for male-sized feet, but I found out that the TBL 29b body has huge man-sized feet so it was perfect! The 23b is so tall that when it’s all put together, the feet and sandals look about right.

For the leg armor the closest thing was the PopToys Ashigaru figures, but unfortunately I couldn’t find them parted out, so I had to buy a whole figure just for this bit of kit. But, I plan on adapting this ashigaru to sort of fit an Aizu soldier of the time, so not a total loss. I also found knee pads from the Devoted Samurai figure (The Last Samurai knock off) that fit the same pattern as she has but different colors (red dots on black instead of black dots on white), and I kind of like this dark theme better anyway. Fortunately these were available loose and came with the greaves and an inner fabric sleeve which I could also use to bulk out her very thin calves. The leg armor needs more of those ribs, but I think it’s close enough and has a very beautiful fabric pattern which actually matches the pants on the Butterfly warrior figure. Weathered up, things are starting to look about right:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090171
You can see how badly the head color mismatches the body, but I had a plan. I was going to use pastels to color the arm and thought I had an old set from college, but it turned out to be some sort of artists’ crayons! I think they are oil or wax based, but the cool thing was they had many earth tones of ochres and browns that I thought could help me bring that skin color closer. In the show her arm gets pretty dirty, with soot and grime marks up and down as well as on her face, not to mention her hands. So I applied, blended and experimented, and came pretty close, not perfect, but close.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Along the way I decided to paint the trim for the leather sleeve just around the hand area, and also replicate the lace sling that loops around her middle finger to keep the sleeve in place:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090169

With things almost done, I was impatient to put together the basic figure to see how she looked:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090172

The sword/bayonet belt was one of those Napoleonic spare parts I found online. I had to cut it narrower to fit the look better. I searched high and low with no luck for a fabric that could replicate the intricate geometric pattern of her sash belt, but instead found something really interesting at my local Michaels—a Japanese themed pink Sakura ribbon!:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090183
Obviously too pale and baby pink, but I stained it with acrylic washes of red and browns, and also glued on a maroon ribbon to the backside for stiffness and color, and I like the result. Once again, this fits into my idea that it’s a “reinterpretation” of her look in the show.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
The Blakeslee box might have been even more daunting to do than the arm sleeve, because it’s a rather precise geometric shape and would tolerate less fudging. I had to think hard about how to construct it, and settled on good ol’ balsa wood: easy to cut and sand, and for final shaping you can actually just press on it and it squishes down if your angles aren’t quite right:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090177

Unfortunately I ended up sanding a bit too much off the length so it’s short by about an eighth of an inch, but who’s counting?

I used the same leather as the arm sleeve to clad this wood former, and had to stain/paint it with acrylics to get it close to the color from the show (BTW I’m a Tamiya devotee, FYI). Real vintage ones are usually black, and the straps are slightly different. It’s pretty clear they custom made or altered a reproduction specifically for this show. Here’s the finished piece:
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090179
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090181

I used leftover buckles that would fit (I have tons from straps I’ve thrown out). They aren’t an exact match but close enough. The stud for the lid strap was also a spare broken part from my trove of leftover junk I’ll never throw out.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I had originally intended to just be lazy and use the looped bayonet strap as-is
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090184
but after looking at footage again I realized how distinct her frog is, and that it would never do sitting next to my custom made Blakeslee box.
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 20201031_163225

So, a few prototypes later (and this time using two different types of leather):
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090185
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090186
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090188
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090189
The wakizashi comes from the Butterfly figure and is a beautiful piece, maybe too ornate for Yae, but I like it.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
When the figure was finally finished I realized the slap dash picture taking I had done in the past just wouldn't cut it, so I bought a dedicated light box for miniature photography from Amazon for pretty cheap. It's actually pretty big (2 ft. cubed) and has built in LED lighting. Even with a mediocre or older camera it improves the quality and shows off your work to advantage.

[April 17, 2021 edit: The original pictures posted here represented a now outdated and nonexistent version of the figure which was updated around the time of this date. Rather than keeping the many full sized old pics here, I've condensed them into 16x9 collages so new readers of this thread will not focus too much on the older version. Please skip ahead to the second half of page 2 to see the new and hopefully final version of this figure. I will also post some teaser pics here so you can make an immediate comparison.]

Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_detail_front_backYamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_detail_sideYamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_detail_front_poses

The groundwork is actually premade sheets from an eBay vendor for 1:30-1:35 scale models. I think it works well with 1/6.

[Please compare the above to some preview shots of how it now looks:]
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090630Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_details_front_back_newYamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_details_sides_new

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
In the show, the women all use simple white string to tie their hair, so I just used thin white kitchen string to replicate the look over the red hairband painted on the ponytail. It’s lightly washed with Flat Earth so not so blindingly white.

[April, 2021 edit:  I've deleted the old pics and substituted the newer version of the same pose here]

Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090668

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh my goodness... this is absolutely astounding work! 😲 😲 😲 Incredible story and historical figure, detailed research, and that tv series sounds fascinating!

The figure itself is a work of art. Your craftsmanship is impeccable. Very creative and resourceful execution and stunning results!  cheers

And you are right, there's no way we would have guessed what you were making with that piece of leather! Laughing

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Diana

Diana
Holy cow. I haven't read it all, cause... work,... but I will want to!
Thank you so much for putting all this together. It's totally worth it. The figure looks fantastic!!

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
[old pics]
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_detail_3Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_detail_2

I used the same ribbon (cut down to width) from the sash for the interesting red cord she uses as a bracelet for her shooting glove. I left it paler and just washed it with Tamiya Flat Earth to darken it a bit. I deliberately didn’t use red because that’s a notorious staining color and it would lie on her bare wrist. I’m not really happy with the pattern of fingerless gloved hands (obviously a modern set), but some parts producer is coming out with a plainer set of fingerless gloved hands in an even closer color match so I’ll end up replacing those. Also, I realize I overdid the grime on the fingers, but painting washes on vinyl hands is always hard to get right.

Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_detail_1

[compare with some new pics:]
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090651Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090649

You can see the tonal variations a little better in the skin on the arm here, as well as the grime marks. Unfortunately the grime is not as pronounced after you recoat everything with corn starch, but once again, good enough for me.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Some closer looks at the lower half, with the weathering and those beautiful tabi/waraji.

Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090214
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090205
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090216
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090228
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090221

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
It’s obvious they also had an unusual pattern of carbine sling that I’ve not seen in my research. The classic is like the one made by Battlegear, just a simple leather belt with a sliding D-ring for the clip so the carbine can move freely along the sling without moving the sling across the body. But hers attaches to the rear buttstock ring as well so the strap functions much like a normal two-point rifle strap—move the gun, move the strap. The only thing I did other than some weathering was adding the missing jump ring to the railing on the carbine for the clip to attach to.
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_outfit_2Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 Yae_outfit_1

[Old pic removed; here's a new pic:]
Yamamoto Yae and the warriors of Aizu, 1868 P1090654

[Old pics removed; sorry]

That's all the photos for now. I'll take more soon, as I bought this terrific stone wall set from Sideshow I found for a good price on eBay (I think from their Civil War sets). I'll try to take some action shots and maybe even do a video.

I've actually produced a lot of compilation summary videos of the show (yes, I'm that obsessed with it), but it's almost impossible to embed it publicly because YouTube stringently enforces NHK's copyright and blocks them all. I've only been able to share privately with friends and family via cloud storage, but that's not going to work here. However, I did manage to get a "music video" type compilation of sequences from the show on Vimeo, which unfortunately doesn't embed here (if someone can tell me a way, please do), but I can share the link below, and anyone interested can see how cool the action is and even the soundtrack bit I used. It's about 5 minutes long, and has no dialogue, just music and scenes. I'm going to try to produce one with my Yae figure and stills from the show and see if YouTube will accept it (those bots are tough!), but it will take some time to do.

Here's the Vimeo link. Let me know if you have any trouble watching it. Be sure to watch it full screen of course. Who knows, it might get shut down eventually too. 
https://vimeo.com/474587917

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
[Post deleted. Text combined with previous post; old pic removed.]

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh my goodness... this is absolutely astounding work! 😲 😲 😲 Incredible story and historical figure, detailed research, and that tv series sounds fascinating!

The figure itself is a work of art. Your craftsmanship is impeccable. Very creative and resourceful execution and stunning results!  cheers

And you are right, there's no way we would have guessed what you were making with that piece of leather! Laughing

AerynDiana wrote:Holy cow. I haven't read it all, cause... work,... but I will want to!
Thank you so much for putting all this together. It's totally worth it. The figure looks fantastic!!
Hey, thanks skywalkersaga and AerynDiana!! I missed your replies as I was busy trying to finish posting the rest of the thread, but the notifications kicked in and let me know. Really appreciate the support!

GregT

level of dedication to a single goal-- remarkable
attention to myriad details and screen accuracy-- staggering
end result-- off the charts
certainly a pleasure, this will be a return-to thread for many days

BAMComix

BAMComix
Wow! that figure is an absolute work of art! Your skills at clothes making are top drawer! Blown away mate at the level of skill involved to undertake such a project!

blackpool

blackpool
Loved it all the way through, absolutely stunning work, all the ressearches, the sourcing, the crafting, it's freakin fantastic from start to end!

The achieved figure is gorgeous, I'm in awe looking at the details and level of finishing, brilliant! Thanks a lot for sharing this!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum