OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tmnt Roadkill Rodney modeled from scratch

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
hi folks,

even if i haven´t posted recently i haven´t been inactive.

ever since i´ve been into tmnt, i was a sucker for every tec-thingie that came out of the technodrome in the original series.
sure those 4 turtles are cool and all but the bad guys are where the fun is at, isn´t it ? Very Happy

sadly, to my knowledge, there has never been a roadkill rodney robot ( thats a mouthfull ) in the original line back in the 80s/90s, neither did i have the funds as a kid to go army build.
not that i lacked figures, far from it and i´m ever so grateful to my parents, but they didn´t see any value in buying me the same figure over and over.

so apart from the odd foot soldier i snatched up years later at the occasional garage sale, krangs army was sorta lacking numbers Shocked

when neca announced a roadkill rodney i was overjoyed and alread putting funds aside to fill that storage with rodneys to build a real swarm akin to the mousers i have around.
unfortunately they put 2 of them in a threepack with a figure i´m not really interested in.

add the somewhat small scale the decide to go with and 59,-€ for a pack you only need 2 small figures from and i was already pondering if that route was worth going.

there are really good 3d models out there as well but in the end i thought all in all those rodneys are just a combination of simple geometry, why not try it myself.

this is a first for me, for i neither have any experience in, nor a patience for 3d modeling and the tools you normally use. blender, meshmixer and others give me a headache bevore i could build a simple thing.

oddly enough i could work pretty comfortable with the simple windows 10 3d builder tool. there´s nothing fancy about it, just forming a simple ball, square or triangle and substract or cut in half what you don´t need.

i have to emphasize though that the dust effect, explosion and the "dirt-part" as well as the drill top you gonna see is not my work but something i am very thankful for having found it on yeggi and thingiverse. so all the praise for those goes to the original designer.

but since they are free of use and i don´t make any profit from using them i thought it would be okay giving my rodney a bit more detail.

the idea of putting a dustcloud behind the wheel, as well as a drill option on the head, is "borrowed" from the original figure, a concept to good not to use if you want the figure to stand properly withoud flattening the tire.

so here we go, my very first 3d model  Very Happy

Tmnt Roadkill Rodney modeled from scratch Rk210
Tmnt Roadkill Rodney modeled from scratch Rk310
Tmnt Roadkill Rodney modeled from scratch Rk410

here´s a comparison what the original looks like.

Tmnt Roadkill Rodney modeled from scratch Triceratonnc5

leaps and bounds between them for sure, still the do it yourself version has 2 serious advantages : almost endless numbers ( as long as you provide filament and the odd print head ) at almost no real cost apart from time to print, glue together and paint.
material value per figure i´d say less than 1€ and that´s with paint included.

20€ for a roll of filament and i´d say for the scale i´ve used i´d get 12-16 rodneys out of it.

hope you like it, i´m already experimenting with battle damaged and cut apart versions, however the situation in the diorama calls for it.
i did scale them up however for i don´t like the size neca went with. for dragging a rhinoceros and a warthog out of their cages they should have some proper size and heft to them.

kind regards

Diana

Diana
Wow! Great job and what a great use of a 3D printer!
Very cool project. Smile

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thank you, glad you like it.
i hope one day we'll be able to simply buy an official 3d model of a figure and have it printed in color at home at an acceptable timeframe.
with how much trouble i had with neca's bebop and rocksteady ( 1 in 4! figures where acceptable and still had minor flaws ), churning out rodneys like there's no tomorrow is a relief.
sure painting them takes time and effort but even if one is somewhat botched you replace him in 9 hours printing time at current technological standards.

kind regards

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
A great use of your 3D printing abilities, and it makes sense to 'pad out' your figures this way rather than purchasing multiples. The finished piece looks the part and works well in your dio! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

blackpool

blackpool
Awesome work!!! And it brings back some good memories, I had forgotten about that robot!

Maybe someday in a not too distant future we'll have both the 3D scanner and printer just at home for small objects! In the meantime there are already plenty of free or low fee 3D database, the google one for sketchup is huge, 3Darchive as well...

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
at 60€ and the size of the originals from neca i'd have bought them at ...say a 4 pack. so 15€ per rodney with accessories would be a fair price and still leaves room for army building properly.
that being said, neca chose to go with a very small scale and even if i don't remember them freshly, being smaller than the turtles looks off in my opinion.

so far i've found rodney for print at shapeways but the model itself as far as i saw was not for sale.
usually i stroll through yeggi and thingiverse and find quite a lot of good stuff thats even free.
some while back i even found a x-01 power armor pieces set for sale, but 100€ for a 3d model with uncertain outcome was a bit expensive for my taste.30-40€ would have been reasonable in my opinion.

i hope the not to distant future comes when i still got my wits about me and my hands and eyes working proper Wink that being said i still got some 15+ years till retirement but already notice a decline in reflexes and twitch split second movement you need for first person shooters. still okay for most part but nowhere near as sharp as when i was at my late teens and early 20s.

but i find it nice to go "full circle" one day not having to waste my time at work anymore and have all day to enjoy my "toys", just like my childhood:)

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow, they look great!

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thank you, to think i scrapped my attempts 2 times and almost giving up i'm happy the way they turned out. my laptop almost gave out on me finalizing the model, having so many errors and issues i thought the work was for naught.
what finally saved it was making it "solid" with meshmixer for the model up to this point did look like a whole body, when in reality it was rather a jigsaw of various parts, all colliding with each other.
surely a downside of the simple windows 3d tool but up until now the only program i partially understand to use. i'm light years from being adept in proper tools like blender or zbrush.
on the bright side, if i can get something useable out of it literally anyone can.
right now i'm printing a cut in half version with some wires in the middle, i'll update as soon as the paint is dry Wink
cheers

Ovy

Ovy
Nice one, all that 3d software gives.me headaches too, although I liked the zbrush trial...until I realized hoe few. olygons your trial objects can have.

The Torso reminds me a bit of the front section of that Rebel ship: 
Tmnt Roadkill Rodney modeled from scratch Star-wars-action-fleet-rebel-blockade_1_df6f73fefed1af32d36624908d365bbd

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum