OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A scratch built dumpster

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A scratch built dumpster Empty A scratch built dumpster Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

A dumpster, what a weird thing to scratch build, or even want I think. I've been wanting to make more urban props for photos, stuff that can be found just about anywhere. I originally looked at some bins on ebay for some urban clutter but while those where nice I thought "What about a dumpster?" which prompted me into looking for 1/6 scale dumpsters and I found one, the first at Big Bad Toy Store and the second in here Dumpsty. Both are (for me at least ) a bit too expensive for what I wanted which was a cheap prop for pictures, that's essentially when I thought "Wait a second... a dumpster is just a box, I can make a box." and that's essentially how this whole thing started. There's also a third one too here Zbobtoys Dumpster

My first idea for a dumpster was to make it out of thin cardboard from a box of cereal, the idea was good but at this much larger scale it was too flimsy and would have required to be reinforced somehow in order to make it a bit more durable, that's when I remembered that the last time I went to the dollar store I got myself 10 sheets of foamcore that I haven't used, while there are no pictures of the Dumpster MK-1, there is quite a few pictures of Dumpster MK-2.
A scratch built dumpster GfoQjUP
A scratch built dumpster S7ok6fS
A scratch built dumpster MJ3Seen
A scratch built dumpster ZlGN9wk
A scratch built dumpster C0SyF2i
A scratch built dumpster 7UWaLe5
A scratch built dumpster LSrmSNV
A scratch built dumpster TYlpqx2
I started this second version of the dumpster on September 26 and finished it on the 30th, sadly I was waiting for some supplies to make some nice weather effects on it but as it is common for UPS the supplies I ordered never came on the delivery date (october 10), instead they arrived yesterday via USPS for whatever reason and by yesterday the dumpster had already been painted and weathered as I had grown impatient of waiting for UPS to miraculously not fail me again.  The dumpster isn't exactly big, its merely 9 inches wide, by 7 inches deep and almost 8 inches tall.
A scratch built dumpster UptLvDT
A scratch built dumpster 3xx7yKX
A scratch built dumpster ViyizqH
A scratch built dumpster ZFpom60
A scratch built dumpster HZaGn1I
A scratch built dumpster 6jQLU42
A scratch built dumpster EsMD1nU
A scratch built dumpster X9RScRy
A scratch built dumpster LhDw8vI
A scratch built dumpster IVmb3Kr
A scratch built dumpster X1dO9LU
A scratch built dumpster 9uuM0na

Its not big, but it's roomy enough inside for two figures, 3 if you really bend them in there. Most importantly however it was cheap as dirt to put together. And well that's it really, this is what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks, going around town to look at different dumpsters and get a sense of scale (and smell) and then somehow translating that into this, the commercially available ones also helped to get a sense of 1/6 size too. Until next time, have a nice weekend and stay safe out there.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A scratch built dumpster 1f60e

2A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Progress pics are always more interesting than the final result but the final result looks pretty good too.

How come you didn't make it bigger? Were you limited by the size of the foamcore sheets?

3A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:23 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like it. A perfectly utilitarian dumpster, looking suitably worn and used.

4A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:28 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. And suitably worn. I’m curious as to the answer to shazzdan’s question, as well; we’re you limited to the size of the sheets?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

A scratch built dumpster C8485110

5A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:19 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
How did you do the hinges?

6A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 pm

davidd

davidd
That looks fantastic! The hinge detail is impressive! The paintwork looks realistically worn, like the dumpsters at the local refuse transfer station.

I'm impressed that you didn't just go with a rectangular box, but added in the angles to get the slope to the top. And you included all the various lifting points for a forklift. Very nice work!

7A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That turned out awesome! And agree, I'm really impressed with how you designed it. The details you included make it very convincing.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Dr. Dahk'nezz

This is very well done. You've inspired me...

9A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
shazzdan wrote:Progress pics are always more interesting than the final result but the final result looks pretty good too.

How come you didn't make it bigger? Were you limited by the size of the foamcore sheets?

Thanks Shazzdan, glad you enjoyed the wip photos too.
I was originally going to make it much bigger however when I tried the first one on my little scenario it simply filled it up too much and taking pictures with it would have been complicated as all the shots would have to be zoomed in.

GubernatorFan wrote:I like it. A perfectly utilitarian dumpster, looking suitably worn and used.

Thanks Gubernator, never seen a brand new dumpster, I think they come prepackaged with the smell too.

Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. And suitably worn. I’m curious as to the answer to shazzdan’s question, as well; we’re you limited to the size of the sheets?
Thanks Stryker, glad you liked it. It's smaller than the initial one due to the size of the area I take photos in, the space is wide but doesn't have too much depth and if I made the dumpster bigger it would take too much of the space on the scene.

shazzdan wrote:How did you do the hinges?
Well the hinges I made out of cardboard, I simply cut strips of cardboard that I then shaped around a wooden dowel, once shaped around it I glued them together using super glue  and also used the same glue to water proof them.

davidd wrote:That looks fantastic! The hinge detail is impressive! The paintwork looks realistically worn, like the dumpsters at the local refuse transfer station.

I'm impressed that you didn't just go with a rectangular box, but added in the angles to get the slope to the top. And you included all the various lifting points for a forklift. Very nice work!
Thanks Davidd, I did look at a few real life dumpsters, I do wonder if there's security footage of a weirdo looking at random dumpsters.  A scratch built dumpster 1f604, I'm glad you enjoyed the details like the lifting points, it wouldn't be a dumpster without them I feel.

skywalkersaga wrote:That turned out awesome! And agree, I'm really impressed with how you designed it. The details you included make it very convincing.
Thanks Skywalkersaga, I'm glad you liked how the dumpster turned out.

Dr. Dahk'nezz wrote:This is very well done. You've inspired me...
Thank you Dr. I'm glad this little dumpster managed to inspire you into creating stuff.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A scratch built dumpster 1f60e

10A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:28 am

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Well done man.

11A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:49 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Brilliant work!

12A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
ZeroDelta wrote:Well done man.
Thanks ZeroDelta.

BAMComix wrote:Brilliant work!
Thanks BAM!

13A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:26 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
This is really good. You turned paper into rusty metal ! Magic Very Happy It looks absolute authentic. Maybe a grafity done by a talentless sprayer ? Wink

14A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:49 am

valentin

valentin
It's a nice looking trashcan, well weathered to blend in to its surroundings too.

15A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:24 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ephiane wrote:This is really good. You turned paper into rusty metal ! Magic Very Happy It looks absolute authentic. Maybe a grafity done by a talentless sprayer ? Wink
Thanks Ephiane, its indeed a bit of magic to turn paper into metal, and a lot of glue too. I thought about adding some graffity but I don't feel good enough for that yet, I've been practicing and I hope to show some of it some time soon.

valentin wrote:It's a nice looking trashcan, well weathered to blend in to its surroundings too.
Thanks Valentin, never seen a clean dumpster in my life though I must say it looked really nice while it was all green and new.

16A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:25 pm

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Awesome!
Truly a useful diorama piece and would cost a mint if manufactured by someone for sale.
Some of the best props are the home made type!

17A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:43 pm

Kitsune1000

Kitsune1000
Very nice work.   I like the weathering.   I've just dipped my toes in diorama building but find myself making a lot of mistakes.  Perhaps you can share some tips in the future

18A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:14 pm

Chip

Great piece of scratch building , I love seeing stuff like this created , very inspirational , well done .

19A scratch built dumpster Empty Re: A scratch built dumpster Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:49 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Pontiacivan wrote:Awesome!
Truly a useful diorama piece and would cost a mint if manufactured by someone for sale.
Some of the best props are the home made type!
Thanks Pontiacivan! You are quite certain on that, the best stuff is made at home, props like these are like a homecooked meal.

Kitsune1000 wrote:Very nice work.   I like the weathering.   I've just dipped my toes in diorama building but find myself making a lot of mistakes.  Perhaps you can share some tips in the future
Thanks, the best tip I can share is to be patient while building and to look into real world examples of what you are trying to make, another tip is to look at youtube videos, specifically those of people who create miniature gaming terrain and the like since all of their tips and tricks can be translated into 1/6 really easily.

Chip wrote:Great piece of scratch building , I love seeing stuff like this created , very inspirational , well done .
Thanks Chip, glad to know its inspirational.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum