OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

scalawag

scalawag
Here is the latest addition to my Black Series 'The Mandalorian' shelf.  This is the Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child set, which is a Smyth Toys exclusive here in the UK, and a Target exclusive in the US.
I missed this when it was first released at Smyth toys late last December, but they had fresh stock this week and I managed to bag one!!  Smyth's service was excellent too I have to say, this was actually delivered well within 24hrs of purchasing.

This is a nice set, which is composed of Mando in beskar armour with a removable helmet which reveals a Pedro Pascal head sculpt underneath, The Child or Grogu as we now know him and his floating crib, some beskar ingots and a tracking fob.

The Mando figure is basically the Beskar Armour Mando released last year, but with a new head sculpt and separate helmet.  This has all the same articulation, and faults of the first issue of this figure.  It comes with the same jet pack and plastic cape that don't really work together, so I have ordered another of Mudhorn Customs (Mudhorn Customs) excellent cloth wired Mando capes to go with this figure.  
The new head sculpt is not dead on for Pedro Pascal, but it is not bad either, and they have done a good job I think of getting a reasonable size head sculpt whilst retaining the proportions of the helmet too so that both look ok with the body. That is no mean feat in this scale in my opinion.

The Child is an all new piece for this set, and unlike the previous The Child figure its only point of articulation is a ball joint at the neck.  He does come with his floating cradle though, which is nice and that has a removable hood so that it can be displayed open or closed.  I may find a small piece of appropriately textured cloth to put in the crib as a blanket, although the interior is nicely sculpted and painted too.

The other accessories are nice, but rather incongruous to this version of Mando in my mind.  
The tracking fob and beskar ingots are really nicely represented for items in this scale, but this version of Mando is never seen with either to the best of my knowledge.
He uses the tracking fob to find The Child whilst wearing his original armour, and uses the beskar ingots he receives as a reward to replace his armour!!!  Still nice pieces to get though, and as you can see in the shelf pics the tracking fob has gone to my original Mando figure.

All in all this is another nice addition to my Mando shelf and I am very happy to have gotten hold of one.

Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8810
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8811
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8812
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8813
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8814
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8815
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8817
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8816
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8818
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8819
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8821
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8820
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8822
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8823
Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive Img_8825

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed this post.  If you would like more info or pics on any aspect of this set please do just ask here.

Paul

Diana

Diana
Oh I love your collection and he looks great!! Especially with helmet. Not so keen on the head sculpt though. ^^

scalawag

scalawag
Diana wrote:Oh I love your collection and he looks great!! Especially with helmet. Not so keen on the head sculpt though. ^^

Thanks Diana, I'm pleased you like what I am doing.

The head sculpt is a little lacking on this figure, but I think we are lucky to get one from Hasbro at all really, and not just see them keep producing Mando figures with his helmet on and no head sculpt.

There are some pretty good figures in this range these days, I love them.

Paul

Diana

Diana
I love this scale. My space is limited, and with TBL now releasing in this scale, too, it just got so interesting! And yes, even the jointed figures look incredible.

I got my first action figures in 2004 at a convention, all 1/12: Daniel Jackson and Teal'c from SG-1, Morpheus sitting in his armchair, Neo upside down in the lobby, T-800.... I love them, but these figures don't move much.

1/12 Villa is fantastic! If all of my 1/6 sets had a 1/12 version in the same quality as the Villa head sculpt, then I'd be swapping out my entire 1/6 collection.

Sadly 1/12 Neo couldn't keep up.

Definitely keeping an eye out for 1/12 releases. But I've been neglecting some mass produced options... Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice new acquisitions, Paul. Maybe after the Mandalorian reveals his face on screen they will improve the head. Smile

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice new acquisitions, Paul. Maybe after the Mandalorian reveals his face on screen they will improve the head. Smile

Lol yeah maybe!!

I think there were probably all sorts of constraints on getting this head sculpt to work with the removable helmet and make both look reasonable. Both the helmet and the head suffer as a result. being able to remove the helmet is a cool feature, but it might have been better to just do swappable heads!!

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's a great shelf and how cool that they gave a "reveal" head sculpt. (I only got through the first 3 episodes of season 2 before I canceled Disney+) Did he show his face again in S.2 --? I have the HT set of Djin & Gorgu on PO from Timewalker, but I'm still waiting on them. I was hoping by now the first season would be announced for DVD/Blu-Ray -- but haven't heard anything. Your little figure collection has certainly grown.

(I'm still jealous of your Greedo...) Hehe.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Black series Din Djarin (The Mandalorian) & The Child Smyth's Toys/Target exclusive C8485110

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:That's a great shelf and how cool that they gave a "reveal" head sculpt. (I only got through the first 3 episodes of season 2 before I canceled Disney+) Did he show his face again in S.2 --? I have the HT set of Djin & Gorgu on PO from Timewalker, but I'm still waiting on them. I was hoping by now the first season would be announced for DVD/Blu-Ray -- but haven't heard anything. Your little figure collection has certainly grown.

(I'm still jealous of your Greedo...) Hehe.

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I am loving this scale, and I will do a full run down of all the figures on this shelf soon. Greedo is still the prize amongst my 1/6 figures, although I love them all really.

Din Djarin does indeed remove the helmet again in Season 2, won't say more than that for all the folks who may not have seen it yet. I've stuck with Disney+ for now so that I can watch the shows when ever I want and with all the new shows that have been announced I think they will keep my subscription.

Paul

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I suppose it was about time Disney did something right with Star Wars. If they've got Paul's subscription, they must have. Smile Well there goes my theory out the window, but Paul may be right... a removable helmet might have meant some compromise on the face.

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:I suppose it was about time Disney did something right with Star Wars. If they've got Paul's subscription, they must have. Smile Well there goes my theory out the window, but Paul may be right... a removable helmet might have meant some compromise on the face.

I think Disney are finally coming good with the Star Wars franchise with The Mandalorian. It is the most Star Wars thing I have seen since the OT I think.

Early Disney Star Wars efforts have been hamstrung by a desire to do away with the "old" Star Wars and it's values from those at the top in Lucas film and to turn it into something quite different. But there is the potential now for change at the top at Lucasfilm and a return to the old Star Wars values that George Lucas put in place. The power in terms of who says what gets made and how it should look is shifting, and The Mandalorian is the first fruit of this shift in ideology back towards what Star Wars has always been.

Disney+ is likely to be an integral part of this going forward as I think Disney are shifting from big budget blockbuster movies to more regular income from subscription services. Don't forget that Disney+ is not just Star Wars it is the entire Marvel Studios Universe too and much more besides. This pandemic I think will have driven this even more as people are less likely to go to the movies now or like here in the UK at the moment just can't go to the movies.

I think there is a lot of potential for future Star Wars stuff and i will be keeping my disney+ subscription to be able to see things quickly and in 4k straight off the bat.

Paul

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum