OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  Empty NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures ) Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 pm

Chip

Hi . The NVA Sapper teams were highly trained to infiltrate U.S Bases in the Vietnam War . They mainly went in at first light or in darkness . Generally they would sneak in , under the barb wire , and past the mine fields , once in they would cause absolute havoc . Sometimes they made safe passage for regular troops to follow them in , using wire cutters ect , often they would turn the claymores so they went off toward the bases . There were special Sapper teams that were trained to hunt MAC-V teams . They wore what looked like loin cloths , and just carried AK`s and chest rigs . They were all feared by U.S forces .

Number 1 in my team , is the ladder man . He would slide the ladder under the barbed wire , and using " Y " shaped sticks he would prop the ladder up , to make a makeshift tunnel under the wire . The ladder was also used to carry the wounded back out ...if they were lucky .

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120412

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120416

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120418

Number 2 in the team , is using a pole charge . Here this is four grenades wired to a long Bamboo handle , with a wire detonator at the end which was pulled , after being shoved in rifle slots in bunkers , door ways , windows or any other building entrance .

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120428

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120421

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120424

Number 3 in the team , is armed with a satchel charge , this was often a sand bag or as here a satchel type bag filled with explosive , and a short timed fuse , which was pulled just before it was slung into any bunker or building entrance / window ect .

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120430

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120432

Number 4 in the team is a suicide bomber , he is also armed with a satchel charge , only this is strapped to his chest , he would attempt to get to the control bunker which held the radios and officers , run in and pull the fuse killing all inside including himself . A similar action was shown toward the end of the Platoon movie . I thought he had an appropriate expression for this character  .

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120437

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120438

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120434

Team photo .

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120439

NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  P1120445

PitViper

PitViper
Very cool looking sappers. Inspiring indeed.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great looking squad Chip, I like how you have used so many different sculpts. I also like how you have incorporated the flocked head, very cool Very Happy

Ovy

Ovy
I think their stylized looks work well when they are all among themselves.

You learn so much here. So much terror with so little means, really nobody you want to have as an enemy. That bamboo charge is especially scary, imagine something like this suddenly sticking into your bunker.
Do you know what the 'success rate' of these suiciders was?

Chip

Thanks for taking the time to comment .

@ Ovy , I don`t know what the success rate was for suicide bombers , I would think amongst all the havoc caused by their comrades , quite a lot reached their targets . There are stories of NVA soldiers being chained to trees too .

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Really cool team, and not something I've seen often in 1/6 either. I remember reading about them years ago and that was it. Sappers are overall an interesting topic for sure, and one of the jobs that I would probably not consider doing, specially satchel on the chest guy's job.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! NVA Sapper Team ( Old School Figures )  1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
Chip wrote:Thanks for taking the time to comment .

@ Ovy , I don`t know what the success rate was for suicide bombers , I would think amongst all the havoc caused by their comrades , quite a lot reached their targets . There are stories of NVA soldiers being chained to trees too .

Never heard of that chaining thing before, got me interested and I found a random Quora topic where veterans/descendants from Vietnam and US share some theories, stories and experiences. It ranges from 'it was all propaganda' to chaining soldier's in tanks or using chained human shields against air strikes.
Truth might lie somewhere in between. Nasty business overall.

https://www.quora.com/Did-the-North-Vietnamese-chain-their-soldiers-into-machine-guns-or-tanks-preventing-them-from-fleeing

Theboo-bomb wrote:Really cool team, and not something I've seen often in 1/6 either. I remember reading about them years ago and that was it. Sappers are overall an interesting topic for sure, and one of the jobs that I would probably not consider doing, specially satchel on the chest guy's job.

Agree, none of the jobs sounds very fun. I would probably pick job 1 with the ladder, it involves some crafty building and much less blowing up of people or myself. Maybe I am lucky and they are hesitant of shooting me in the back when carrying the wounded.

Chip

Thanks The Boo Bomb . Think you made a good choice Ovy . Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum