OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I remember back when the Cy Girls were first released, I was so excited to finally see some cool looking female figures and immediately went out and bought Kat, the only one that looked kinda military with her camo outfit. I eventually bought a few others, with their somewhat ridiculous space outfits and all, but my fave was always Kat. Eventually they all ended up in boxes in a closet, and a few years ago I ended up selling them all on ebay, including Kat. But I kept the camo bits, thinking maybe someday I'll do a bash that lives up to the "cool" girl promise that those figures didn't quite deliver (see what I did there?  Surprised)

Well, now that I have a bunch of spare TBLeague bodies left over from experimenting for the Yae project, I decided now was the time. The somewhat voluptuous s29b seemed perfect. I also had some leftover bits from way back in that Cy Girls era: weapons, holsters, etc. that I either couldn't sell or decided to keep. 

First, here's how my original Kat looked before I took her apart and sold her body (hmm... that doesn't sound right!  Neutral):
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1060615
Actually this was my ebay pic for the figure, which nobody wanted. But somebody did want this:
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1060699
strange, huh? 

Here's my new version. Please be aware this is rather R rated so if suggestive sheer clothing bothers you, please avert your gaze. If you're under 17, please leave the page!
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1090436_4
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1090434_2
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1090437_5
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1090439_7
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1090442_9
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1090443_10
Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school P1090438_6

Headsculpt is Kimi Kt011; I didn't do my usual full cut but I did wash and restyle the hair, and cut some bits of stray unruly locks. I believe all the gear and weapons are 21C, and I think much of it is from the female figure they did back in those days, some sort of "villain" called Matilda or something. That figure was pretty crap, weirdest body I'd ever seen, bad sculpt, crappy clothing, but the gear and weapons were pretty cool, including some sort of assassin's weapon in a case. Boots are Vicky's Secret. Beret is also VS. Sling is some tactical single point thing I got loose, not sure what brand (there are so many!). The bodystocking is actually a thing of beauty. Although these pics don't show it too well, they are actually seamless like real pantyhose (unlike basically all other 1/6 brands of stockings/pantyhose which have a seam running down each leg), and are stretchy like the real thing too. In fact, it's like someone took a 1/6 shrink ray and zapped a real pair of sheer pantyhose. In the right light and from a foot away or more, they look really sheer without much texture. Get too close and you can see the weave and they look a bit more like fishnets. And they are really tough too, they can survive my rough nails and the extreme tugging needed to get onto those bodies without a run or snag! (trust me, I've ruined too many of my own to count!  Embarassed Evil or Very Mad). The brand is Fire Girl, and these come in different colors as well, including nude, white, etc. I believe they also make a pair of regular pantyhose too.

Quick note about the 29b body: While I really appreciate the more realistic proportions (her legs are much more realistic and shorter, and her arms and hips are much more fleshy like a typical, albeit fit, woman), I've had some real problems with the shoulder and elbow joints on these. Unlike the other leaner types I have (23b, 19b), these shoulder joints easily get out of whack and get locked the wrong way, and I end up having to rotate the heck out of the arm to get it back into normal position. Also, the elbow joint gets loose very quickly and does not hold or stay in position like my other TBLs. So, something about these skeletons seem different (I have two and they both do the same thing). The rest of the body is fine.

Anyway, hope you old-timers enjoy this trip down memory lane! For those of you who are newer to the hobby, it's probably just a cheesy bash with crappy looking gear.  Laughing Question

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Your new girl looks great and is a vast improvement over the old Kat figure.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't know too much about Cy Girls per se, but I can see what you mean about their (partly unfulfilled) potential. And you just fulfilled it with your kitbash. What a difference a better body and head make! Very well done.

Diana

Diana
What a difference! I love the changes you made and while I wasn't in the hobby back then I do appreciate the "before and after". Smile

And how awesome to have an outfit that fits the S29!

The problems you're experiencing sadly is not a rare thing with that model. While mine does keep the (admittedly simple) pose I do also have the "what happened to the shoulder?!" problem. The arm has been backwards because of it, but I managed to get it back into place with a little patience.

tflockj11

tflockj11
I had a few of the Cy Girl figures. My favorites were Aurora (astro girl-which I still have on display) and Elektra. Their pleather outfits have not stood the test of time, frequently shedding and decomposing. But great figures for their time.

Tom

BAMComix

BAMComix
Wow! That is so cool! well done!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ahh, Cy Girls. What a cool upgrade. The only I know for sure that I have is Cutie Honey (from the Anime), but I think I have one other — neither one of them has ever been taken out of the box. You certainly did the old outfit and accessories Justice with the new body, head sculpt, and hair styling.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Great job with the upgrade! The choice of head, body, and the additional outfit pieces and accessories are all excellent.

Regarding the issues with the shoulder -- I think Tbleague seems to have had some production quality control issues over the past year and a half. Some of their newer bodies have had issues that older ones didn't. It could also be because they've used a different/new skeleton for their more 'curvy' bodies, but I do suspect there was some production issue on top of that, due to having had issues with previous body models that I purchased over the past year too. To the point I even contacted GianToy and told them they should complain directly to tbleague about it. My hope is that they are fixing some of those issues now, but who knows what additional effect the pandemic might have had.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
The outfit looks great on the TBLeague figure

Ovy

Ovy
What a cheesy bash with crappy looking gear!

No it's great, I have heard that something like CYgirls existed, but I grew up in a world of tbleauge. Really great transition/interpretation/upgrade or how one would describe it. I think the bodies and headsculpts age much worse than clothing.

Congrats on the seamless  pantyhose, no idea how science can create that. 

I have three s28/29 bodies, one ordered directly after release last year, two later. The first one has slightly loose elbow joints and shoulder problems, slightly translucent skim on the elbows. The newer ones are much better in quality.

I also have the 'plus size' s39, with really good joints and articulation, they probably learned a lot since s28

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I always saw them as some sort of 80's action heroine from one of those kung-fu and mac-10 style of movies.
As for the figure that's a great upgrade, she looks really cool in that clothing.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Homage to Cy Girl Kat: Old school meets new school 1f60e

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Your new girl looks great and is a vast improvement over the old Kat figure.
Thanks BAD WOLF-787!

GubernatorFan wrote:I don't know too much about Cy Girls per se, but I can see what you mean about their (partly unfulfilled) potential. And you just fulfilled it with your kitbash. What a difference a better body and head make! Very well done.
Thanks GubernatorFan! You're right, the body was what gave me the idea to do this.
Diana wrote:What a difference! I love the changes you made and while I wasn't in the hobby back then I do appreciate the "before and after". Smile

And how awesome to have an outfit that fits the S29!

The problems you're experiencing sadly is not a rare thing with that model. While mine does keep the (admittedly simple) pose I do also have the "what happened to the shoulder?!" problem. The arm has been backwards because of it, but I managed to get it back into place with a little patience.
Thanks Diana! Hmm, well, at least now I know it wasn't just my bad luck with the joints.
BAMComix wrote:Wow! That is so cool! well done!
Thanks BAMComix!
Stryker2011 wrote:Ahh, Cy Girls. What a cool upgrade. The only I know for sure that I have is Cutie Honey (from the Anime), but I think I have one other — neither one of them has ever been taken out of the box. You certainly did the old outfit and accessories Justice with the new body, head sculpt, and hair styling.
Thanks Stryker2011! It's funny you still have a few sealed in boxes. I don't think I've ever been able to do that!
skywalkersaga wrote:Great job with the upgrade! The choice of head, body, and the additional outfit pieces and accessories are all excellent.

Regarding the issues with the shoulder -- I think Tbleague seems to have had some production quality control issues over the past year and a half. Some of their newer bodies have had issues that older ones didn't. It could also be because they've used a different/new skeleton for their more 'curvy' bodies, but I do suspect there was some production issue on top of that, due to having had issues with previous body models that I purchased over the past year too. To the point I even contacted GianToy and told them they should complain directly to tbleague about it. My hope is that they are fixing some of those issues now, but who knows what additional effect the pandemic might have had.
Thanks skywalkersaga! I bought a whole bunch of the 23b, 19b, and 17b, and those all seem to be tight and normal, although I'm not sure if those were old stock.
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:The outfit looks great on the TBLeague figure
Thanks ThePhotogsBlog!
Ovy wrote:What a cheesy bash with crappy looking gear!

No it's great, I have heard that something like CYgirls existed, but I grew up in a world of tbleauge. Really great transition/interpretation/upgrade or how one would describe it. I think the bodies and headsculpts age much worse than clothing.

Congrats on the seamless  pantyhose, no idea how science can create that. 

I have three s28/29 bodies, one ordered directly after release last year, two later. The first one has slightly loose elbow joints and shoulder problems, slightly translucent skim on the elbows. The newer ones are much better in quality.

I also have the 'plus size' s39, with really good joints and articulation, they probably learned a lot since s28
Thanks Ovy! 
What a cheesy bash with crappy looking gear!
  Razz  
Theboo-bomb wrote:I always saw them as some sort of 80's action heroine from one of those kung-fu and mac-10 style of movies.
As for the figure that's a great upgrade, she looks really cool in that clothing.
Thanks Theboo-bomb! Yes, there was a nostalgic, slightly cheesy kitsch to them. They were a lot of fun when they came out, but as Ovy said they didn't age all that well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum