OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Ovy

Diana wrote:HOLY COW YESSSSSSSS!!!! bouncebouncebounce
bounce  bounce  bounce  Yeah I will try to get it online in the next hour.

Valiarde wrote:These still life images of Shield, armor, axe and helmet are some of the best creations I've seen in 1/6! I also love the presentation of them on the "wool".  I think you can hardly do this stuff any better, not even real metal would do it here, as the weight might cause other problems. So we have a winner Smile

Very good job sir ovy
Thanks a lot!  Yeah don't know about the metal and the weight, but with the right equipment and skills, there is incredibly detailed stuff to be made.
But I will stick to Plastikk and Putty, for now. Razz

GubernatorFan wrote:We have a winner for sure. It is funny how well this does suit for historical purposes, even if it is intended for a fantasy post-apocalyptic character. The first glimpse of her is already very cool. The promise of more characters in appropriately matching style and different color arrangement, very promising. Oh, and the budding new mythology... Yappateru from Jupiter? Is his female counterpart Yammateru? Smile
Thanks a lot. Yeah, the more you think about functionality when researching fantasy equipment, the more of the old reliable forms are to be found. No spikey shoulderpads anymore I guess and now uber sized axes.  And alway wear your helmets!
And now, there is no Jupiter in this world. And I don't know if Yappateru has a gender, it is a great "IT".

shovelchop81 wrote:Oh cool, we make weapons exactly the same way lol! I thought for some reason you were 3D printing it all (something I'd be useless at!).
Thanks a lot! No I prefer stury flexible plastic card, resin can be too brittle. An no paintjob (in my skill range) beats real wood.

Not much more to say, the next weapon here might be a pole axe or some bashy thing. I will try to get the new figure thread online now.

Stryker2011

Founding Father

Yes, indeed!!!

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Thanks for this video. Holy cow indeed! This guy is hilarious. But so talented! Yes, I can't do a fraction of what you and Dan and Alex (shovelchop) can when it comes to weapons, but that is just wow... and will remain so. Thanks for clarifying Yappateru... hard to accept considering it is basically "Yo' Pater" and -u is a male suffix. Smile Perhaps I have just founded the Holy and Orthodox Church of Yappateru by accident -- they say all heresies/heterodoxies are to be blamed on overthinking it... Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Diana

Thank you for the video! The guy truly is hilarious and very inspiring! I will no doubt watch more of his videos. Smile

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:

Yes, indeed!!!
Thanks really glad you enjoyed!

GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for this video. Holy cow indeed! This guy is hilarious. But so talented! Yes, I can't do a fraction of what you and Dan and Alex (shovelchop) can when it comes to weapons, but that is just wow... and will remain so. Thanks for clarifying Yappateru... hard to accept considering it is basically "Yo' Pater" and -u is a male suffix. Smile Perhaps I have just founded the Holy and Orthodox Church of Yappateru by accident -- they say all heresies/heterodoxies are to be blamed on overthinking it... Smile
Well you could try making a custom lightsabers out of cylindrical metal pieces, that could be your specialization.

Ok maybe I will have to change the name now, you always seem to find something wrong with these. :p
I don't know if there will be religious friction in the Kraken cult, but I think it makes sense that not everyone accepts the rule of the foreigners in the temple. They might overthink too much.

The real confusing religious fun begins with Jaroyesz's religion though. Her church venerated the Hornfather, the (warping) Mother and the Spawn (also the Beast, the Faceless and the Creature, in every combination). It's pagan roots can't be denied, it's associated with the Karuszpatran (working title) Empire. They like dark churches and red windows and candles.

On the other hand there is also this reformed church that dropped the 'evil' pagan stuff following "Father (or stag), Mother and Creation" They see themselves as saved by the light etc.

I won't go into details, but while for example the angels of the Reformed Church look like beautiful humans with wings, the Original angels are Ophanim like formless ever warping beings with thousands of eyes spawned by hallucinogen induced trances. They are just more Metal overall and know to party. The majority of them were wiped out ar the start of the Undead catastrophe, but Jaroyesz's mum taught her a thing or too in the Karuszpatran Diaspora.

They would still be in another religious war if not for the Undead.

Diana wrote:Thank you for the video! The guy truly is hilarious and very inspiring! I will no doubt watch more of his videos. Smile
Yes it's a very relaxing watch! It funny how he makes budget masterpieces out of garbage using large expensive machine and power.

Started making a Poll Axe/Mordaxt/Murder axe yesterday. Still some work to do at the tip, have not figured out the length of the pike yet and there will be something blunt or sharp on the bottom too.

I would prefered having the langets (those long frame things with the nails in them) to be completely recessed into the shaft so it would not disrupt hand movements when sliding along the shaft. But I don't know how to be this precise. And again like with the other hammer, it came out a bit warped. Has seen a lot of use I guess.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20211114-113616

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20211114-113700

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s a beautiful pole axe. Super craftsmanship as always.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's some beautiful work on the shield and axe and also that armor, its perfect.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Excellent work on the weaponry -- they look metal, functional, and medieval. Love the knight wielding the battle axe. And don't let my overthinking you deter you from your fantasy religion -- or if you change anything, keep the name, tweak the mythology, since you have committed to it/established it less. I just happen to know a few things about names and languages that sometimes interfere with the suspension of disbelief.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Ovy wrote:

Thanks a lot!  Yeah don't know about the metal and the weight, but with the right equipment and skills, there is incredibly detailed stuff to be made.
But I will stick to Plastikk and Putty, for now. Razz

I think you linked that one before, but it was a nice rewatch nevertheless. Such a great work and the sword looks so so good.  bounce

Ovy wrote:

Started making a Poll Axe/Mordaxt/Murder axe yesterday. Still some work to do at the tip, have not figured out the length of the pike yet and there will be something blunt or sharp on the bottom too.

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20211114-113700

Inspirational as always. I need to make my own weapons now too. Even if I will never do sth like your armor work, but a Polearm and a sword is sth I will try for sure.

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks people.

The pole arm is mostly finished.

Here my very first over the top fantasy staff weapon from 2018 or so.

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-065001

Next to the two more down to earth weapons I recently made.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-064647

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-064830

The rifle and pistol of a more civilized age of brain center destruction.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-065634

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-065142

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-065259

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-065458

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-071552

Maybe I will shorten the shaft a bit, but the miliput for the teat pommel stuck too well.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-065825

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-065939

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-071410

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220129-071924

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Really excellent craftsmenship! Great presentation and photography!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s some beautiful work, Ovy.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done, as always, Ovy. Even your older "over the top" weapon looks excellent. A more civilized age, indeed! Wink Also love the presentation, with the helmet and the pavement (is that another project you have going on?).

shazzdan

shazzdan
I like them. Very classy.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Seriously beautiful work on that shield, the axe is very good too.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 1f60e

BAMComix

BAMComix
Amazing and inspiring as always Ovy!

Valiarde

Valiarde
These new weapons are most awesome. The real wood combined with a perfect looking metal imitation are so cool

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Never enough superlatives for Ovy's 1/6 weaponsmithing!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Ovy

Ovy
Today I made a Kanabō out of a dead paintbrush and nails.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-191720

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-191725

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-191901

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-191944

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-192118

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-192330

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-192359

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 IMG-20220514-192505

Randam Hajile wrote:Really excellent craftsmenship! Great presentation and photography!
Thanks, I like to give the equipment a bit room as they kinda 'get lost' on figures sometimes.

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s some beautiful work, Ovy.
Belated thanks

GubernatorFan wrote:Beautifully done, as always, Ovy. Even your older "over the top" weapon looks excellent. A more civilized age, indeed! Wink Also love the presentation, with the helmet and the pavement (is that another project you have going on?).
Thanks, and yeah that pavement is still from that first styrofoam diorama, old polymer clay leftovers. The sallet, now broken, ist for Jaroyesz of course, as is the pollaxe.

shazzdan wrote:I like them. Very classy.
Thanks sir

Theboo-bomb wrote:Seriously beautiful work on that shield, the axe is very good too.
Thanks boo

BAMComix wrote:Amazing and inspiring as always Ovy!
Happy to inspire, thanks!

Valiarde wrote:These new weapons are most awesome. The real wood combined with a perfect looking metal imitation are so cool
Thanks, yeah real wood helps sell the look, I think I used it in all the weapons shown here yet.

skywalkersaga wrote:Never enough superlatives for Ovy's 1/6 weaponsmithing!
Thanks!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What a neat idea! And it turned out beautifully!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
And now I know what a kanabo is, or rather that this is a kanabo. Smile The Aztecs did something similar, but with shards of obsidian as blades coming out of the pole. Thanks for the lesson. And for sharing this perfect little piece of weaponry.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow. That is so cool. Neat idea.

BAMComix

BAMComix
That looks amazing Ovy!

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:What a neat idea! And it turned out beautifully!
Thanks!

GubernatorFan wrote:And now I know what a kanabo is, or rather that this is a kanabo. Smile The Aztecs did something similar, but with shards of obsidian as blades coming out of the pole. Thanks for the lesson. And for sharing this perfect little piece of weaponry.
Yeah that Aztec thing was more of a sword/cutting weapon I think, they used those shards because they didn't forge blades.
The Kanabo wasn't only for crushing bone, armor and person, but destroying fancy Katanas. I think it might be an effective and low maintenance weapon against the Undead.

Stryker2011 wrote:Wow. That is so cool. Neat idea.
Thanks!

BAMComix wrote:That looks amazing Ovy!
Thanks!

The upper paintbrush was the base. I poked in holes and then drilled them. Eight studs in the upper rows, then alternating rows of four. The last half less dense. If I made a stencil it might have looked more even.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220515-165803

I made some pics with my Orange Warrior, here a glimpse.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 3 PSX-20220515-030821

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Love it. Such a formidable weapon. I want a real one for the inevitable civil war.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think it would be a pretty effective weapon against anything but missiles and tank armor. Smile Looks great in the hands of your samurai-inspired warrior.

csyeung

csyeung
I see you grabbed the latest leaves from the North Korean Leaf artist again! Laughing

haha, nicely done, it looks amazing!

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Love it. Such a formidable weapon. I want a real one for the inevitable civil war.
Thanks a lot.
I think there is an American version even, the baseball-bat-with-nailsō. (And the derevation of it, the baseball-bat-covered-in-barbed-wireō) :p

GubernatorFan wrote:I think it would be a pretty effective weapon against anything but missiles and tank armor. Smile Looks great in the hands of your samurai-inspired warrior.
Thanks, but who knows, maybe those studs are tiny target seeking missiles themselves?

csyeung wrote:I see you grabbed the latest leaves from the North Korean Leaf artist again! Laughing

haha, nicely done, it looks amazing!

Thanks, yeah cost me a fortune and I lost them directly after the shoot, but hey it was worth it Wink Wink Wink

Anyway I put up some pictures in the other thread, didn't want to give the characters too much focus here.

Illusion

Illusion
further amazing ovyesque still lifes… I love you

love catching a glimpse how you achieve your results (nice to know you used a drill)

loved the reference to the North Korean leaves Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum