OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marwencol - a New Hollywood movie about Mark Hogancamp: Welcome To Marwen

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

blackpool

Indeed, I didn't want to go too far in describing the movie but it is definitely a drama, I will again compare it to forrest gump because the two characters have that loneliness in common, both as a result of mental disorders or fragility at least... So yes some scenes will bring a tear or make the throat dry.

Added to this I didn't remember either about the negative impact of his agression in the documentary, what happened to him caused a lot of phobias and traumas, some of which affected him in a very negative way...

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Well, if you think about it, if it wasn't for forums like this one... we'd ALL be kind of lonely. This is not a hobby well-received by "normal" people. We would be considered Dorks and Losers by most "responsible" adults. It's not until people see (assuming they are willing) the level of detail that goes into this little hobby of ours, that people might be able to see how cool it is. And yes, I have to admit, this is also very much a therapeutic hobby for me, as I would assume it is for many; not just a chance to relive our long-lost innocence and childhood. What Mark Hogancamp went through, however, was/is probably much worse than many people have gone through, and that he found a way to deal with it through his massive diorama and action figures is inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing the Steve Carrell movie more and more, but it won't be available to me until April 9th when the blu-ray finally arrives.

shazzdan

I have mild autism and have spent my whole life trying to find a way to earn a living without too much interactivity with other people. I'm currently working in retail sales, which is not healthy for a severe introvert, but I needed a job in a hurry when my second child was born, and because autistics can't bare change, I'm still there. This hobby has helped me to earn a little side income, which has let me cut back the hours of my sales job, which has helped my stress levels enormously. This hobby is also very therapeutic, which has helped even further with stress. Right now I'm 50 years old and am in perfect health, so it seems that I've finally found the right balance.

Looking forward to seeing this movie. Steve Carell always does good work.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

brassco

Well, I've managed to watch the movie...and here's my review:

Movie Title: Welcome to Marwen

Parent's guide:
Nudity : Yes (breasts shown)
Violence : torturing scenes, war battle scenes, fighting scenes, character severed from the waist, spike thru stomach, blood...
Sexual References : Queer mentioned, Sexualization of dolls and women in general.
Profanity : Yes
Drugs, Alcohol and Smoking : Yes
Verdict : Definitely not for kids!

Quote worthy :
Nicol: Close your eyes...I have a surprise for you.
Hogie : You know I can't close my eyes...I'm a doll!

Mark Hogancamp has his hobby taken to a whole new level...he built a town for it! Directed by Robert Zemeckis, this is warm hearted movie, I think, only 1/6th hobbyists will truly enjoy. I've been dreaming of making a motion picture using some of my collections...but how do i get my budget of 40m dollars?? Maybe lesser, without using famous actors or director...but still a good 10m, i reckoned, if i wanted top CGI like those depicted in the show. Phicen should commission film makers to produce at least one movie with their figures...

If fairy tales can't happen in real life...at least it does in 1/6th...

Marwencol - a New Hollywood movie about Mark Hogancamp: Welcome To Marwen - Page 2 8psc-lot-Japanese-Sushi-Figure-Toy-Sushi-Mini-Model-Toy-for-Play-House-Funny-Playing-House-jpg-640x640

Peaches

Peaches
Yum Smile. I forgot about this movie, I need to see where I can watch it Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the mini review, brassco. Depending on what head sculpts you use, you could probably do one of those movies with a lot less than 40 million -- considering your actors will be in toy form and there is probably cheaper voice talent. Smile

scalawag

scalawag
This looks awesome, and a very touching story. I have just preordered a copy on iTunes.

Paul

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Adeno, Blackpool, and Brassco's recommendations have definitely rekindled my interest in seeing this. I rarely agree with critics anyway.

And Stryker, I completely agree. I've been very luck to have spent most my adult life surrounded by artists and weirdos, geeks and toy people, who in many ways "get it," but rarely to the extent that this community does. Being able to find people with this level of passion and enthusiasm really is a rare and amazing thing, and something I never take for granted. I know this hobby is a necessary creative outlet for me, one of the reasons I found Hogancamp's story so inspirational when I first stumbled on it. I'm glad to hear the film did it justice, and now I'm looking really forward to seeing it.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

The original documentary was truly fascinating and I hope this movie does him justice.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Just watched the movie last night with the wife. I enjoyed it, but I think I may have felt a little distant to it because I made the mistake of watching the documentary again just a few days ago. Aside from the animated Doll sequences (some of which were part of his photographic stories), there were things that seemed odd, and changes that were made (maybe for the sake of the story, or for legal reasons). Some characters were missing (ie, real people that Hogancamp also represents as figures), and some were changed or combined with others (again, maybe for legal reasons would be my guess). And then there were the obligatory Hollywood racial equality changes that weren’t part of Mark’s real Marwencol. Even the name Marwencol — mentioned only at the end of this movie — which is an amalgamation of three real names — is given an alternate persons’s name for the last syllable; and since the real person whom it is based on isn’t mentioned at all in this movie, I’m guessing it was done for legal reasons.

Im not trying to diminish anyone’s interest in seeing the movie, I think most here will probably find it interesting. And Steve Carrell was really good. But if you want an unbiased opinion of this Hollywood film, watch this BEFORE you watch the documentary— but I highly recommend the documentary for a more accurate, and unapologetic, depiction of Hogancamp be sure to watch the documentary.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Marwencol - a New Hollywood movie about Mark Hogancamp: Welcome To Marwen - Page 2 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I'll give it a whirl when it hits DVD, I only vaguely remember the documentary now.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
SPOILER ALERT
Here is a link to an article that breaks down the most significant differences between Mark Hogancamp's real life experience and the Hollywood film. As Stryker suggested, if you want to enjoy the film more fully, you should probably watch that first, before watching the documentary or reading the article.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/welcome-to-marwen-mark-hogancamp-fact-fiction-movie-accuracy.html

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
I Just watched the movie and I found it very good, loved the action sequences and Steve Carrell did a great job in it.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Saw this last night. Loved the action sequences - especially the segues between 1:6 and real life. The plot was a little disjointed but I enjoyed it. Would have been worse without Steve Carell. I deliberately didn't watch the documentary so I could see this with no preconceptions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum