OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Righteousness" : A Yae no Sakura/TGF production

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
To see the original Yae mega thread, click here. To see the first video, it's in several places, but try this thread.

The title of this piece is 義 (gi), or righteousness (also can mean justice, integrity, rectitude, and many other similar principles), and it's one of my favorite tracks in the mammoth 60+ track Yae no Sakura soundtrack. It's quite different in pacing and feel from the other one, and the video is less about the figures and more about conveying a sense of story and emotion. But don't worry, the figures (all four of them) are featured plenty in this one, it's just that they are less about static "beauty shots" and more about blending with the footage to create more motion and urgency.

The piece is 3:45, so longer than the last one, and it begins quietly and builds dynamically with each repeat of the main theme. It takes about 40 seconds before my Yae figure makes an appearance, but give it a chance! By the end the scenes and effects come in waves, so please watch all the way through.

As last time, it's rendered in 4k, so please select 2160p for best quality (sorry iOS Safari users, 4k is not available to you, although it is in the standalone iOS YT app).

I really hope you enjoy this one, because I don't think I have it in me to do any more. This one really took it all out of me, and with this, after my year-long journey with Yae, I feel like I've said what I wanted to say and shown what I wanted to show with this final video.

Finally, I encourage all to let me know what you think--don't be shy! And for all you non-member lurkers, give it a whirl! You might just like it! Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! That was really well done. The editing and blending from the film footage to your figures, and of course the really great music, was just excellent. I hope at some future date you find another subject that captures your heart as much as this one, as it would be a shame to not see a project of this magnitude from you in the future.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

"Righteousness" : A Yae no Sakura/TGF production C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I enjoyed that. Like Mark said, it's even more impressive than the earlier takes. And such a great way to present and contextualize your figures.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! That was really well done. The editing and blending from the film footage to your figures, and of course the really great music, was just excellent. I hope at some future date you find another subject that captures your heart as much as this one, as it would be a shame to not see a project of this magnitude from you in the future.
Thanks so much Stryker! So glad you liked it! A labor of love to be sure. Film editing to music is pretty painstaking, especially when you have to create so many individual shots that go by in less than a second each! I'd say this one had about four times as many elements as the second version of the first video. As for another subject, life is funny and unpredictable. A year ago I would never have predicted a Japanese TV show would change me in profound ways.
GubernatorFan wrote:I enjoyed that. Like Mark said, it's even more impressive than the earlier takes. And such a great way to present and contextualize your figures.
Thanks Guv, really glad you enjoyed it! Like I said to Mark, the effort on this one was just on another level compared to the earlier ones. Four times as many elements but double the amount of work per element, so eight times more effort? Lucky number!   tongue Shocked

blackpool

blackpool
Such a masterful work, that's fascinating, the accuracy and details on each character, the posing and blending, and all that crazy animation work... just wow! those 3.46mn just made my day, thanks a lot for that.

As said already I strongly hope another project will get your attention, cause your work is extremely interesting and inspiring.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
blackpool wrote:Such a masterful work, that's fascinating, the accuracy and details on each character, the posing and blending, and all that crazy animation work... just wow! those 3.46mn just made my day, thanks a lot for that.

As said already I strongly hope another project will get your attention, cause your work is extremely interesting and inspiring.
Wow, high praise indeed! Thank you, thank you!! If I "make someone's day" for just about anything that's more than I can ask for.

We'll see about another project. Like I said above these things strike mysteriously and capriciously. I may never have this experience again in 1/6. Or maybe several. Either way the rarity and uniqueness of the circumstance is what has made this special (even though I hate that word).

brassco

brassco
Something that i would like to have done, but did not do it, due to the huge amount time needed to put into this project...so, i salute you! Whatever genre you are into, this is a conversion of something one can only see and imagine on screen, to be a realistic figure one can actually touch...Long live 1/6th action figures, and the Youtube, of course!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I can imagine that such a long project where you have thrown so much time and dedication to get everything as high quality as possible might take it's toll, but rest assured, your work is impressive the quality that you have shown, the attention to even the smallest of details the dedication given to each one of the characters is beautiful.

I sincerely hope you keep posting more of your work, and I'm sure that whatever it is that you end up doing will be as amazing as this.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! "Righteousness" : A Yae no Sakura/TGF production 1f60e

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
brassco wrote:Something that i would like to have done, but did not do it, due to the huge amount time needed to put into this project...so, i salute you! Whatever genre you are into, this is a conversion of something one can only see and imagine on screen, to be a realistic figure one can actually touch...Long live 1/6th action figures, and the Youtube, of course!
Thanks for the kind words, brassco! You know, it's true, the amount of time and effort I spent taking the pics, editing them, ripping the footage, editing those, and putting it all together was so much more work than actually creating the figures. But of course, it doesn't happen unless I create the figures first. So, long live the figures indeed!
Theboo-bomb wrote:I can imagine that such a long project where you have thrown so much time and dedication to get everything as high quality as possible might take it's toll, but rest assured, your work is impressive the quality that you have shown, the attention to even the smallest of details  the dedication given to each one of the characters is beautiful.

I sincerely hope you keep posting more of your work, and I'm sure that whatever it is that you end up doing will be as amazing as this.
Thanks so much Theboo-bomb! I do feel a bit burnt out, but if people actually respond well I'm gratified. I really appreciate your support!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I know I already mentioned this to you, but the editing on this video is astonishingly good. The images, scenes, and transitions blended so seamlessly that I was constantly forgetting that it was a mix of 1/6 figures and real people. It all fit together so well, that I barely noticed! The amount of work that no doubt had to go into it in order to achieve that effect is incredibly impressive. 

Stylistically, I can definitely see the influence of Band of Brothers, along with the music -- though this particular soundtrack has a different feel to it than the track used in the first Yae video (due to the different composer, I presume?). Either way, it is very effective, and both pieces of music have ended up stuck in my head for days after! :') 

As for the contents of the video itself, Yae is still the star of course, but I wanted to make special mention of Nakano Takeko -- I really loved the scenes and moments you included of her here. Very emotional and moving."Righteousness" : A Yae no Sakura/TGF production 1f49b 

I hope everyone will take the time to press 'play' on this one -- it is just as beautifully made, with just as much attention to detail, as the figures themselves. Well worth a few minutes of your day. :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Ovy

Ovy
Well I watched it three times now, one time on the TV.

Some thoughts I had.

As mentioned already in the other video's thread, this style might be one of the best ways to bring 1/6 figures to life in video.
Unlike stop motion, there are no fluent movements in there, but these organic transitions, which our heads put together into a sequence of movement. Stop motion will always have that very stylized puppet feel to it, no matter how perfect it is.
But your realistically appearing 'film' stills look right without having to be fluid. I think the brain is much better in accepting the harmony in these slightly changing figures.

With the stylized beauty of war pictures and solemn music, of course we have that Band of Brothers association, but I also had to think of  'The Pacific' a lot, even though it's intro is less personalized with less faces in there. Used the music/mood for writing shore based undead war stories and read some Eugene Sledge some years ago, so I have some kind of connection to it. And of course The Pacific has that connection to Japan anyway.

The whole video makes one nostalgic for a show  never watched, but it feels like having watched it many years ago. Maybe something in the music triggers some memories to older films. Or even stronger, a nostalgia for a long gone time period.  
In a way romanticising a war from a civilian's perspective, or just paying respect to the people who had to live through it.

I think I have two favourite bits, first when the old photography popped up, giving a sense of the time passed. Had to think of the picture of older Yae you posted, with the lost war behind her.
The other is the running charge sequence and the transition to the figure. It has this undramatic action, if that makes sense. I also like the black grain and scratches whirling like on an old projector.

The amount of work you put in there can be seen in every frame, especially these recreations of poses. So I can understand that this kind of drains your energy to make another one. But as it looks you finished this huge project and educated us along the way.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
skywalkersaga wrote:I know I already mentioned this to you, but the editing on this video is astonishingly good. The images, scenes, and transitions blended so seamlessly that I was constantly forgetting that it was a mix of 1/6 figures and real people. It all fit together so well, that I barely noticed! The amount of work that no doubt had to go into it in order to achieve that effect is incredibly impressive. 

Stylistically, I can definitely see the influence of Band of Brothers, along with the music -- though this particular soundtrack has a different feel to it than the track used in the first Yae video (due to the different composer, I presume?). Either way, it is very effective, and both pieces of music have ended up stuck in my head for days after! :') 

As for the contents of the video itself, Yae is still the star of course, but I wanted to make special mention of Nakano Takeko -- I really loved the scenes and moments you included of her here. Very emotional and moving."Righteousness" : A Yae no Sakura/TGF production 1f49b 

I hope everyone will take the time to press 'play' on this one -- it is just as beautifully made, with just as much attention to detail, as the figures themselves. Well worth a few minutes of your day. :')
Wow, sky, thanks so much for the exceedingly kind compliments and continued support!  I love you You have been a great help to me while I was finishing this project, I can't thank you enough!

About the composer, actually, it's the same one for both pieces, NAKAJIMA Nobuyuki. Just based on his work on this series alone I think he's fantastic. The whole soundtrack is incredibly varied, from typical movie action sequences to the types of moving heartfelt tracks like the ones I used, all the way to jazzy riffs, all mostly classical style but with a very distinctively Japanese feel to many of the motifs (probably more noticeable in this video; the first one reminded me of a Beethoven slow movement). There may be some confusion about the soundtrack because I mentioned at some point that two composers were involved. The great SAKAMOTO Ryuichi (of Last Emperor fame) composed the opening title track as well as one piece entitled Yae's Theme (which hardly was ever used as "her" theme in the show, much more often a general Aizu theme). Stylistically both are very different from the rest of the soundtrack that Nakajima composed, although Nakajima definitely incorporated snippets of melodies or rhythms from those two pieces as inspirations from some of his tracks. But the opening title is the one you'll see the most if you do searches on YouTube, hardly any of Nakajima's are featured.

And yes, in this one I deliberately wanted to feature Takeko as well as the two soldiers in addition to Yae, so the hard part was knowing what balance to strike given the strict time limitation of the piece. When I first took pics of Takeko many months ago I knew I would want to feature her in another video so I took a lot of extra pics that I never posted so they would be "new" when I released this, same with the soldiers. Given the poignancy of Takeko's story I had to feature her poem and last charge, but because my figure doesn't look at all like the series actress and her clothing I tried to focus more on some of the other women from that scene, particularly JINBO Yuki, the woman in the foreground of that first shot (the one who killed herself in the show; and the actress [ASHINA Sei] who killed herself in real life. Sad)

Really, thanks again for your continued support during this whole project. It has helped make all the hard work worth it.
Ovy wrote:Well I watched it three times now, one time on the TV.

Some thoughts I had.

As mentioned already in the other video's thread, this style might be one of the best ways to bring 1/6 figures to life in video.
Unlike stop motion, there are no fluent movements in there, but these organic transitions, which our heads put together into a sequence of movement. Stop motion will always have that very stylized puppet feel to it, no matter how perfect it is.
But your realistically appearing 'film' stills look right without having to be fluid. I think the brain is much better in accepting the harmony in these slightly changing figures.

With the stylized beauty of war pictures and solemn music, of course we have that Band of Brothers association, but I also had to think of  'The Pacific' a lot, even though it's intro is less personalized with less faces in there. Used the music/mood for writing shore based undead war stories and read some Eugene Sledge some years ago, so I have some kind of connection to it. And of course The Pacific has that connection to Japan anyway.

The whole video makes one nostalgic for a show  never watched, but it feels like having watched it many years ago. Maybe something in the music triggers some memories to older films. Or even stronger, a nostalgia for a long gone time period.  
In a way romanticising a war from a civilian's perspective, or just paying respect to the people who had to live through it.

I think I have two favourite bits, first when the old photography popped up, giving a sense of the time passed. Had to think of the picture of older Yae you posted, with the lost war behind her.
The other is the running charge sequence and the transition to the figure. It has this undramatic action, if that makes sense. I also like the black grain and scratches whirling like on an old projector.

The amount of work you put in there can be seen in every frame, especially these recreations of poses. So I can understand that this kind of drains your energy to make another one. But as it looks you finished this huge project and educated us along the way.
Ovy, thanks so much for your thoughtful and kind comments! If it made you feel nostalgia for something you never even saw, I feel like I've accomplished something, because I had those feelings for a show I did watch (4 times!) while I was creating it. Although the music I chose and the way I framed the clips and my figures definitely had a more "romantic" feel, the show is much less so and shows much more heartbreak and senseless death, although it certainly ennobles the sacrifices as well.

I'm glad you feel the use of freeze frame and still photography was effective in conveying movement. I knew I was never going to be able to do stop motion, so I used actual footage cut up into bits of slo mo and freeze frame layered over and under the still photography of the figures, as well as some limited freeze frame photography of the figures as well. It's all an illusion of movement, even though the individual elements are quite static. And the music with it's slow and steady tempo in 4/4 meter also helped, with its underlying triplets giving the illusion of a waltz but belying its slow dirge.

I'm not sure what you meant by "old photography," but perhaps you meant when I used various black and white or sepia colored sequences? And I did enjoy using the "grunge" effects in the freeze frame pics, both on the live footage and the figure pics. Actually, both types of effects were heavily influenced by Band of Brothers, I cannot lie. I tried to imitate the feel but not copy the exact effects, since the music and subjects are so different. Maybe the closest I came was the sequence with the charging soldiers and the explosion sequence during the climax of the piece. Same but different!

Thanks again for your support and you have also helped me feel like the hard work was worth it through this whole project. Someday I may return to this and create another one, but for the moment I've accomplished what I wanted.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Couldn't agree more with skywalkersaga & Ovy's sentiments. This project is so far above and beyond, words are hard to put together to describe how amazing this entire project is. So much rich history, detailed WIP details about putting the figures together. One area that I would like to know absolutely every detail about is how on earth you made the video -- from the editing, software used, etc. I would love to be able to do something like this (and although I took some film classes a long time ago, and learned how to do digital and film editing using the "fancy" equipment provided by the school, this type of stuff is long out of my purview, that I wouldn't even know where to begin.)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

"Righteousness" : A Yae no Sakura/TGF production C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Couldn't agree more with skywalkersaga & Ovy's sentiments. This project is so far above and beyond, words are hard to put together to describe how amazing this entire project is. So much rich history, detailed WIP details about putting the figures together. One area that I would like to know absolutely every detail about is how on earth you made the video -- from the editing, software used, etc. I would love to be able to do something like this (and although I took some film classes a long time ago, and learned how to do digital and film editing using the "fancy" equipment provided by the school, this type of stuff is long out of my purview, that I wouldn't even know where to begin.)

I couldn't agree more. My hat's off to anyone making videos to begin with, and TGF has been creating content that is educational and artistic on top of that. So much of our hobby is based on recreating what we see onscreen or what was seen in real life, and this showcases an absolute feat in achieving that goal.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Couldn't agree more with skywalkersaga & Ovy's sentiments. This project is so far above and beyond, words are hard to put together to describe how amazing this entire project is. So much rich history, detailed WIP details about putting the figures together. One area that I would like to know absolutely every detail about is how on earth you made the video -- from the editing, software used, etc. I would love to be able to do something like this (and although I took some film classes a long time ago, and learned how to do digital and film editing using the "fancy" equipment provided by the school, this type of stuff is long out of my purview, that I wouldn't even know where to begin.)

I couldn't agree more. My hat's off to anyone making videos to begin with, and TGF has been creating content that is educational and artistic on top of that. So much of our hobby is based on recreating what we see onscreen or what was seen in real life, and this showcases an absolute feat in achieving that goal.
Thanks to you both, Stryker and Guv (again!), your continued support and comments are most appreciated!

(deleted)

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
tankgirlfuzzy -- Thanks for explaining about the composer, I got mixed up and thought you had meant this track was by the other composer. I get it now. :'D And I think you got the balance just right with the mix of characters. 

Ovy made a great point about the way the images were edited together, and how it actually ended up being more effective even than stop-motion. I couldn't really explain what it was that made the images flow so well between the figures and the tv series characters, but I think Ovy's observation is spot-on. Again, very impressive work!! 

I realise you've since removed the 'behind the scenes' screencaps, but I wanted to say thank you for the fascinating glimpse into just how much work went into the editing process. I know next to nothing about video editing, but have always wanted to learn (as I have many ideas for fan vids in my mind), so I appreciated the background info. It's sadly beyond my capabilities at this stage, since I don't own a PC with enough memory for all the files, but maybe someday. Thanks again for the inspiration. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum