OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 25]

Rogerbee

Founding Father
He does look really good.

How about splodging some marker ink onto a piece of card and applying it with either a very thin brush or a pin?

CHEERS!

ReverendSpooky

Daaaaammmn! Pure madness seeing this come together. Can't even believe how good this is looking. Incredible.

http://reverendspooky.com

shovelchop81

GubernatorFan wrote:I take back my previous statement that he was nearly perfection incarnate and I apply it to this new posting.

Only 'nearly' now? Wink

Rogerbee wrote:He does look really good.

How about splodging some marker ink onto a piece of card and applying it with either a very thin brush or a pin?

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger, tried that before without much success, the 'ink/paint' tends to dry super fast and you just end up with a gooey puddle and a ruined brush. Most of the metallic markers seem to be alcohol based even when they say they're acrylic.

ReverendSpooky wrote:Daaaaammmn!  Pure madness seeing this come together.  Can't even believe how good this is looking.  Incredible.

Thank you very much RS!

Done all the little paint bits I wanted so he is officially finished now, I promise! Looking very outnumbered with the Wraith!!

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 M1Zo0gu

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 Tw5Wb4C

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 Xv9Gnom

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 85ZAOfu

Did his fingernails too with paint and gloss.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 LN5z65F

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 PZKOXIL

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 POTzP0E

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 K0gbymy

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 B20OjPP

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 KYoe0d6

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 22wZXEw

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 K1uWRLd

The flash kind of kills his details but it was that or completely dark! Wink

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 DmegsJL

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 IiVsDCu

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 LwpmH9V

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 CEzpUgZ

Ordered a gold pencil and thought I'd give these markers a try..

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 VjrlJx3

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 Mh5qqJZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 KpyCfWJ

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Man, he turned out amazing. All the building that went into this figure... I wish I had that kind of ambition.

peter the painter

Wonderful work Alex, you have created a great looking Dwalin, your attention to detail, to say nothing of your ability to custom make it, is truly admirable.

Cheers,

Peter.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Yeah, those markers could work. You could always try bare metal foil or even gold leaf.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
Yep...In the midst of all those rascally wraiths, poor little Dwalin ain't got a chance.

Fear not, Dwalin. Helps on the way.

Great work, brotha. I'm consistently impressed.

And, I'll be interested to know how those markers work. I've actually tried some similar to those with varying degrees of success.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Man, he turned out amazing. All the building that went into this figure... I wish I had that kind of ambition.

Thank you Mark! Well setting the bench mark higher for myself each time is how I continue to learn and improve my skill set. Plus the challenge makes it far more interesting to me, like a puzzle.

peter the painter wrote:Wonderful work Alex, you have created a great looking Dwalin, your attention to detail, to say nothing of your ability to custom make it, is truly admirable.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thank you Peter! Means a lot!

Rogerbee wrote:Yeah, those markers could work. You could always try bare metal foil or even gold leaf.

CHEERS!

Thought of that but won't work for a bunch of reasons, I appreciate the ideas though! I think I'll end up doing a 2D styled drawing/painting technique where you just show partial bits of the patterns like a trick of the light.

dadrab wrote:Yep...In the midst of all those rascally wraiths, poor little Dwalin ain't got a chance.

Fear not, Dwalin. Helps on the way.

Great work, brotha. I'm consistently impressed.

And, I'll be interested to know how those markers work. I've actually tried some similar to those with varying degrees of success.

LOL! Thank you dadrab! Great narration of his predicament! He'll have to hold them off for a while so just as well I started with the biggest warrior Dwarf!
The markers, like you say will be hit or miss, if they don't work on this I'm sure they'll come in handy for Zoid builds etc..

Got Balin mocked up to get an idea of what I need to do...

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 O7w1EmI

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 0xA6Jfw

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Depending on the intricacy of the design, you might be able to cut up pieces of gold duct tape and attach them to the cloth. Worked ok on my non-superhero Thor's Anglo-Saxon-design-based tunic, but of course I was dealing with fairly large geometric patterns. Check out The Odinssons thread.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Depending on the intricacy of the design, you might be able to cut up pieces of gold duct tape and attach them to the cloth. Worked ok on my non-superhero Thor's Anglo-Saxon-design-based tunic, but of course I was dealing with fairly large geometric patterns. Check out The Odinssons thread.

I'm afraid it's too complicated and subtle for that, works nicely on the tunic you made though. I might actually get away with not actually doing the subtle gold patterns as there are quite a few pics where you can't see it if it's even there due to all the costume changes he has, I think it's most prominent on his sleeves but there are also the rippled segments around his shoulders to do which is the tailoring of the fabric and not a printed pattern. Started sewing his robes anyway, I'll try and stitch together some borders for it in 'Paint' then print them off on fabric.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 FS5RtGQ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 KiGKLx8

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 HwQmEwk

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 Ajnb0Q3

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 VMvNiPX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 YuijoEI

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 AK0Zven

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 UrVYYsY

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 C6AFbey

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 VaO3APE

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looking great, even if a tad Christmas-y. Smile Yes, these are fairly intricate and narrow. On the Thor tunic I made the narrower, finer lines with gold fabric marker from Alene's, but they weren't quite this fine (or didn't turn out that way). It was a pain, and I was already working with a perhaps less fluffy fabric than what you appear to have on those surfaces.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Yes Balin does unfortunately have a rather Santa Claus vibe going on...I will be toning down the red but as usual just working with what I've got. Spent the rest of the day using Paint to cut bits of boarder pattern designs from pictures of Balin, resize them and rotate them with sod all success as Paint is vey limited but at least it's okay to use i.e. doesn't fry my brain! The printer actually behaved from the get go so miracles do happen, got a jigsaw's worth of little border pieces to cut out (they're on the cotton self adhesive sheet) and muddle together. I had lined up a load of pics like last time to create instant boarders but the details must have been too small for the printer to manage as they just came out as brown strips.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 TZ0vyq5

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 BjqEfwT

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 FWkcByj

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 T9v5Nfz

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 Ucf01XY

Had to cut bits like this with Paint as there's very little reference on the internet and unfortunately no sites or pictures dedicated to his embroidery patterns..

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 LC0MPDv

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 ZtBdR4B

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Just one word: WOW.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Just one word: WOW.

Not sure if that's a 'What the hell are you doing?!' WOW or not! Wink
Can't take a nap, too hot and I'm itching all over from cutting back that big bush in my garden, always forget I must be allergic to it somehow.
Remembered I have some better material to make Balin's robes from, it's a darker red and more of a maroon so should look way better, hard to tell in the pics but there is a big difference in hand.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 OXdz5vf

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 WLjmGdG

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Cut and sewed him some new robes out of the better colour matching material, it has a piping texture in it already which I have used to my advantage for some texture and detail. It's quite thin though so may need some puffing out in places using thin foam or another red material on the inside. Needs some hemming and/or trimming but you get the idea.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 SLmd8Ma

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 W3k8mKh

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 Dykn5pj

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 RcaF5th

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 KEk1WIh

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another ambitious build. Looking good so far.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That printer technique looks like it might work. If all else fails, just do a battle version and cover it in mud. That's saved my bacon a few times!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Another ambitious build. Looking good so far.

Cheers!

Rogerbee wrote:That printer technique looks like it might work. If all else fails, just do a battle version and cover it in mud. That's saved my bacon a few times!

CHEERS!

LOL, unfortunately his 'battle version' if a gorgeous fully armoured costume! I hope to make some of these one day using casts from Peter's sculpts for the faces inside the helmets..

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 R3NV9Gs

But yes weathering could certainly help! pirat

I think I just had a 'eureka' moment, he seems to have three sets of robes, his under clothes (trousers and tunic), his main robe with all the boarder embroidery held with a thick belt and an outer robe that has no embroidery but has all the complicated gold patterns in the material and short sleeves. If I don't do the outer robe (he can be seen in the film without it) I can avoid all the gold patterns!

First layer:

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 E76vq1c

Second (main) layer:

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 XIzTxb0

Third (outer) layer:

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 T5yC4JF

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 XOrIHow

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Problem solved, get in!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Hours of cutting, pealing and some gluing later..

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 NeioBnH

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 MSUPd98

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 U3LE2eW

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 WFTby86

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Done the rest of the boarders just need to make his black polygon collar then glue it all in place, perhaps do a lot of sewing too as I never trust glue to last very long.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 JkEDfbF

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 BxvzcNH

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 NWZ6iJ6

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 62lrDfd

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 J6DbhiS

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 VMvNiPX

peter the painter

That's a really good start on Balin, You've got me totally hooked on seeing how you make these characters come together, great stuff.

Cheers,

Peter.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Looking good!

CHEERS!

MerylAkiba

Shovelchops81, always amazing. I need to post my wip soon.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
peter the painter wrote:That's a really good start on Balin, You've got me totally hooked on seeing how you make these characters come together, great stuff.

Cheers,

Peter.

LOL, thanks Peter! And you don't even like LOTR etc.. quite a complement then!

Rogerbee wrote:Looking good!

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger!

MerylAkiba wrote:Shovelchops81, always amazing. I need to post my wip soon.

Just saw you thread and the cool work you're doing on Gothmorg.

Been one of those days, one step forward three back... hot water went of while in the shower while washing my hair, steam had tripped the whole house so the computer then decided it didn't want to live any more so spent a good couple of hours fixing that by repeatedly shocking it ironically (pulling the power plug repeatedly until it decided to reset and behave). Of course this theme continued with Balin, I realised that his robes would look better the other way around because of the seams showing on his sleeves and the sewed on panels showing the way I had it. So I put it on the other way around, sewed up the cut I'd made for the front initially then found that there wasn't enough robe to close at the front so had to unpick all my stitching, leave a gap in the back and glue on a new panel to fill it, by this point I was fed up of sewing only to unpick all the work later. Seems okay now, I'm working on his collar and some dark boarders to go under all the embroidery so it looks more chunky and movie accurate.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 GCmQft2

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 R27pg58

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 J7lkNw5

Striped and glued the tunic together to reduce bulk and make it more form fitting.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 ObXONqI

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 CrKYulh

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 176bBPh

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 GnattNK

dadrab

dadrab
Consistently blown away by the amount of research you put into your builds.

That's looking damn good, man.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
dadrab wrote:Consistently blown away by the amount of research you put into your builds.

That's looking damn good, man.

Thanks dadrab! Just trying to find as many reference pics as possible to do an as accurate build as my time and skills allow bearing in mind how many there are to make!

Doesn't look like I've done much but been gluing and cutting, then not happy so ripping off, recutting and glueing etc.. taking a while to get him sort of right, understanding how the costume is actually made in real life is the biggest hurdle with limited reference pics of the same costume due to all the costume variants used.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 L4sU2KN

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 6 WE0j22h

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looking great, and no longer so Santa Claus. You mentioned one can buy this printable cotton stock. Is the use of it limited to specific kinds of printers, and if so, what?

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Looking great, and no longer so Santa Claus. You mentioned one can buy this printable cotton stock. Is the use of it limited to specific kinds of printers, and if so, what?

You must be stressed, forgot the magic words! Wink
It's for inkjet printers mostly and comes with instructions. There are a few options for laser printers but I think that's mostly acetate and adhesive material for 'stickers' etc.. Mine came in A3 but you just cut them in half to get A4, they're sold in A4 as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 25]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum