OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Illusion

Illusion
I do have Asmus Toys' first Arwen and had not been keen to get the second one too (I am no particular fan of that character either, but appreciate the looks of the movie) - then I stumpled across the Deluxe Version ... well, the furniture junkie took over and I had to get it due to the Chaiselongue  Rolling Eyes

She arrived a couple of days ago - and I am not that impressed... Just wanted to share a couple of quick pics and thoughts in case anyone else is thinking about getting her.

The Deluxe Version comes in a simple cardboard box with a sticker, no pics, no credits - Deluxe Simplicity.

The Chaiselongue is nice but the colour deviates from the colour of the little table the regular version comes with. Really??? Why...  Rolling Eyes  Mad
The pillow and blankets seemed to be white on the promos but are greenish/bluish (as indeed they are in the movie, even more so).The white blanket is just a cut piece of fabric with a rather ugly backside, the pillow is mediocre. It all works ok, but does not fit in an elven quality standard.

The head sculpt is rather good, I'd say. I am not overly excited about it but that is mostly due to the fact that I did not really intend to keep her (the plan was to sell her off individually and keep the furniture) and due to the hair. I am always on the fence when it comes to rooted hair of Action Figures. It is just always fuzzy and far off the quality of my fashion dolls' hair. The upper section of Arwen's hair is kind of glued to the head with hair product but two strains keep sticking out (which vexes me - I will have to tackle that - as I did take the decision to keep her after all.) The lower part with the curls is the usual messy fuzz.

Dress is nice and soft and falls rather naturally.
She has bare feet which makes her stand a bit unsteady. Mobility is good. Just getting her to sit straight is a bit of an effort due to the silicone covered upper body part (you know what I mean by that? this skin imitation stuff in her breast/neck area)

The chandelier is very light and keeps tilting over.

Overall - satisfying quality. Nothing to scream delightedly about (esp. considering the price tag of the regular version and the little accessories you get for your money) but no failure either.

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwendfportrait2ajn2

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwendf0fwkpq

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwendf00e7k2d

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwendf29wk9h

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwendf1xbkg8

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwendf3uzk2s

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwendf4fyjw9

Comparison of both versions' heads:
Likeliness of the new one is better is better,I'd say
But I find the old one more beautiful/elegant and elven appropriate. (Of course the new one also has the pointed ears.)

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwenvglwzkkb

head switch:

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review Arwenalterkopfpjk2d

thegreatshaggy

thegreatshaggy
Definitely the HS has improved from the first version.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I have this new version, also (mine is missing all the extra hands, but they are sending them to me). It is a nicely done figure, and the chaise is pretty cool, though it should have come with some sort of cushion, as I can’t imagine anyone wanting to lie down on this thing with just a thin piece of cloth (I may end up making one myself).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the insightful review and photos, Illusion. I think she came out better than I expected. I still see a bit of Serleena from Men in Black in the face, but quite good. I'm glad you've grown to like her enough to keep her, and are considering improvements.

Illusion

Illusion
Thanks everyone cat

Stryker2011 wrote:I have this new version, also (mine is missing all the extra hands, but they are sending them to me). It is a nicely done figure, and the chaise is pretty cool, though it should have come with some sort of cushion, as I can’t imagine anyone wanting to lie down on this thing with just a thin piece of cloth (I may end up making one myself).

strange not to have the hands included… but I guess it just can happen during the boxing process… as long as Asmus can provide spare ones, that should be fine (if it does not take them 8 months to deliver Rolling Eyes )

well, yes, the chaise is a bit of a martyrdom without a cushion, but fortunately the figures can take more than I would be able to Twisted Evil
I am more concerned about the look of the sheets, which just do not convince me silent

Ephiane

Ephiane
Aww ! In the lord of the rings movie i loved this scenes so much. If i had a wish for free i wish i can stay in rivendell for the rest of my life. Thanks for to show me that pictures I love you  The floor and the background are fantastic to, but the elven furniture is Amazing ! Think my favourite is the new HS, because of the wider jaw-line

Illusion

Illusion
Ephiane wrote:Aww ! In the lord of the rings movie i loved this scenes so much. If i had a wish for free i wish i can stay in rivendell for the rest of my life. Thanks for to show me that pictures I love you  The floor and the background are fantastic to, but the elven furniture is Amazing ! Think my favourite is the new HS, because of the wider jaw-line

Thanks so much for your kind comment and liking the set up. Yes, Rivendell is such an amazing place... a girl's fantasy. And yes, the HS with the wider jaw-line is closer to Liv Tyler, true.

Here's a pic of Arwen on the Throne of Thorns by TYS Toys, which is really an amazing piece of "furniture". I can totally recommend it. I forgot to take pics of the the empty throne in better light but you can go by the promo pics. I really love this piece. (The little skull on the promos is not attached to the throne. It is just an extra piece. And the torn piece of red cloth is included too. I put it in the back of the pic.)

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review 51638177847_7330a2469b_b

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review 51639008521_67fb995e35_b

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, that's SO beautiful!!! Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review 1f60d

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Awesome shot, Illusion. And great work with those candles again. Smile

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's a really great looking dress and figure overall.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review 1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool photos. The lighting is very dramatic.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Asmus Toys - ARWEN Death Frock Deluxe Edition Review C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Great pics and review! Can't say I was ever tempted by this one, perhaps because I'm a guy and more armour and weapons lol but I am tempted by the Galadriel figure just put off by the price tbh. Bummed I didn't get the original Arwen but she came with so little for that price.

Illusion

Illusion
Thanks so much everyone for dropping by and leaving a comment. Glad you enjoy her too. Smile

blackpool

blackpool
very nice grab, I couldn't choose between the two headsculpts, they both have qualities. Very nice review, and very cool photography!

Thanks for sharing!

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thanks for the bonus pictures, Illusion. Love the Light. You are a masterful photographer

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum