OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars Shadow Operatives

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Star Wars Shadow Operatives Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:07 pm

Elvis2500

For my first post, I would like to share a few photographs of a Star Wars-inspired special operations squad I just recently completed. This project represents the most technically and financially demanding endeavor I've taken so far in this hobby, and I am thrilled with the outcome.

The team consists of a core of four Storm Commandos (or Shadow Scouts) and one Shadow Trooper, but I've also entertained the idea of including some HT Death Troopers, increasing the number to nine. The Commandos (my personal favorite EU military unit) are heavily-modified SSC Biker Scouts, and the Shadow Trooper is from Hot Toys (largely just the stock figure, with a few extra pieces of gear). I built two commandos in conjunction with Joel Haase, an amazing Instagram-based customizer/figure-builder, who I commissioned to do the painting and some of the mod work -- he did an absolutely phenomenal job, and some particular highlights for me include the insane weathering detail, helmet conversion to flip-up style, and the skull visor art on the center-most figure. As for my contributions on the two figures, I handled the design, procurement, and final construction of all of the gear. This proved a fairly laborious task, as well as a rather large exercise in organization. As for the other two commandos, one I commissioned directly from Joel (the one with his visor flipped up in the group shot), and the other I found listed on eBay by one of his former clients (one with the silver lenses).

Overall, I had a lot of fun doing this, and while the two commandos that I helped build certainly aren't perfect (referring solely to my contributions -- Joel did an absolute top job) and look a little too busy in some areas, they represent the best figures my current skill will allow me to produce, and they are about as close as I can come to making a physical iteration of an idea that I had, at one point, thought was doomed to the confines of my imagination. Always satisfying when you can complete a personal passion project!

Thanks for taking a look.

Star Wars Shadow Operatives 20211113

Star Wars Shadow Operatives 20211114

Star Wars Shadow Operatives 20211111

Star Wars Shadow Operatives 20211110

Star Wars Shadow Operatives 20211112

2Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:16 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They look excellent, Elvis. I know precious little about the Extended Universe (I don't even consider all canon canon LOL), but I do know about Shadow Trooper and had heard of Shadow Scouts (recently, in fact). They came out great. Any slight variation between them could be attributed to plausible customization for such a unit. You've assembled a great team there. Five is, if I recall correctly, the number of troopers in a scout trooper wing, so the number makes good sense too. Of course, with troopers, one can never have enough. Death Troopers would certainly blend in.

PS I just obtained a couple of 3D printed scout trooper helmets with flippable visors from Black Ops Toys. Still have to paint them and put them together.

3Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:54 pm

Elvis2500

GubernatorFan wrote:They look excellent, Elvis. I know precious little about the Extended Universe (I don't even consider all canon canon LOL), but I do know about Shadow Trooper and had heard of Shadow Scouts (recently, in fact). They came out great. Any slight variation between them could be attributed to plausible customization for such a unit. You've assembled a great team there. Five is, if I recall correctly, the number of troopers in a scout trooper wing, so the number makes good sense too. Of course, with troopers, one can never have enough. Death Troopers would certainly blend in.

PS I just obtained a couple of 3D printed scout trooper helmets with flippable visors from Black Ops Toys. Still have to paint them and put them together.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm generally a "movies only" type of guy, but I will admit that the EU can be a fun distraction from time to time, and at the very least provides some decent inspiration for figure building. Storm Commandos have some coverage in the pre-Disney universe, but not so much in the media nowadays. Maybe someday.

The helmets on these guys are the stock ones from SSC -- with a bit of pressure, you can actually pull the visor part away from the helmet, and then you can dremel out the neck peg to fit a sculpt in. I've seen a few of the 3D printed ones painted and they look (and function) great. Will be nice to see yours when they're complete!

4Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:47 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice group of Troopers. I find the guy with the flip up visor hilarious (in a good way). I’m curious why you want the number to be up to 9 (when you mentioned it, my mind immediately went to The Nine — the Ringwraiths/Nazgul from Lord of the Rings)?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Star Wars Shadow Operatives C8485110

5Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:51 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Maybe because there are 9 troopers in a squad of Stormtroopers? But it is confusing -- or simply inconsistent -- and other sources say 10.

6Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:33 am

Diana

Diana
Welcome, and thank you for presenting your excellent project! Your team looks very convincing. Quite plausibel and modern and yet perfectly fit for the Star Wars universe.

What an entrance! Very Happy

7Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:06 am

Ovy

Ovy
Yay, non white practical stormtroopers! Great job/coordination by you and your squad. The skullguy looks like a proper psycho. They could also be a rebel terrorist group.
Welcome to the forum Elvis.

Oh and check the 1:12 custom practical special troopers Picklemunkey and me made some time ago:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1828-imperial-advances

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1190-999th-imperial-penal-battalion-1-12-star-wars-update-6-17-kx-droid

GubernatorFan wrote:Maybe because there are 9 troopers in a squad of Stormtroopers? But it is confusing -- or simply inconsistent -- and other sources say 10.
With 9, you can make group shots with the leader in the center, does not work with ten.

8Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:24 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Maybe because there are 9 troopers in a squad of Stormtroopers? But it is confusing -- or simply inconsistent -- and other sources say 10.
With 9, you can make group shots with the leader in the center, does not work with ten.

Agreed, aesthetically. And I believe that is or was canon -- 9. Except when I looked it up just now, I also saw some specify 10. The 9 is supposed to be a squad leader and 8 troopers. The 10 is also supposed to be an officer and a squad. If I recall correctly, we do see groups of 10 on the first Death Star, which might support that interpretation. But it may very well have not been thought out at the time and we may be inferring more than was actually intended.

9Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 pm

Elvis2500

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice group of Troopers. I find the guy with the flip up visor hilarious (in a good way). I’m curious why you want the number to be up to 9 (when you mentioned it, my mind immediately went to The Nine — the Ringwraiths/Nazgul from Lord of the Rings)?

No real reason for the nine (although I like that Lord of the Rings idea), I just have four Death Troopers, so if I wanted to display all of my "special forces" Imperials together as one unit, I would have a maximum of nine. Probably just going to stick with the Commandos and the Shadow Trooper for the core display, though.

Diana wrote:Welcome, and thank you for presenting your excellent project! Your team looks very convincing. Quite plausibel and modern and yet perfectly fit for the Star Wars universe.

What an entrance! Very Happy

Thanks for the kind words! Wanted to explore an intersection between modern military and Star Wars with these guys, while still retaining the Star Wars-feel. Tough line to straddle for sure, and wanted to avoid the "airsofting Star Wars fan" vibe I get from other modern military-Star Wars crosses (which are still cool, just not the direction I wanted to go with this project).

Ovy wrote:Yay, non white practical stormtroopers! Great job/coordination by you and your squad. The skullguy looks like a proper psycho. They could also be a rebel terrorist group.
Welcome to the forum Elvis.

Oh and check the 1:12 custom practical special troopers Picklemunkey and me made some time ago:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1828-imperial-advances

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1190-999th-imperial-penal-battalion-1-12-star-wars-update-6-17-kx-droid

Thanks! Loved gearing these guys up, not going to win too many fights with just an E-11 and a holster. Your figures are awesome, as are Picklemunkey's. Sick backstories, too! Especially liked the Tear character, can tell he's a hardo.

10Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:40 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those are really great looking, I wouldn't worry too much about them not being canon or whatever, just have fun making some star wars inspired bashes.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Star Wars Shadow Operatives 1f60e

11Star Wars Shadow Operatives Empty Re: Star Wars Shadow Operatives Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:23 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Wonderful work! I like how you managed to give each one their own character even though they are all similar.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum