OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

1:12 Load Bearing Vest

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:01 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
That guy with the hockey tape and paper towel is back again.

I dipped my toes into the 6" GI Joe line a little, grabbing a couple Cobra Troopers and Flint.
But it just got me wanting to see a more realistic, modern military type figure...so I ditched the Nerf guns and got to work.

I dusted off my paper towel and hockey tape, and got a bit crafty.
1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51732228635_eca4dafcbd_c

1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51731991919_965644d5d0_c

As usual, used paper towel lined with tape as my medium. I got some strips and then glued some grosgrain ribbon on to act as the MOLLE straps.
Then I salvaged some buckles from a 1:6 scale vest I had kicking around.

Some of the smaller pouches were just some wooden stir sticks cut down to size, covered in tape, painted and glued on.
If I wanted to get fancy I would've stashed magnets under the belt, and inside the pouches, to allow custom placement.
I didn't. But I could've.

I felt he needed a holster for his .45 as well, so whipped one of those up. The magazine pouches were stir sticks covered in tape, with a little ribbon to act as the pulls.
1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51732228690_57b07a9918_c

The holster I used magnets on, so it opens and closes and you can remove the .45 with no trouble.
1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51731991984_d142d4ee51_c

His Duty Belt is just some grosgrain ribbon with a 1:6 buckle.

1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51732228710_44fc70a8b1_b

Here he is all kitted up.

I swapped his lower legs to legs from the Netflix Punisher figure, which had a more basic military look.
I also filled the holes for the joints before I repainted him in camo.

In this shot he's toting a Marvel Legends M4 which I repainted and made a strap for.

The helmet is from McFarlane Military, when dremelled out they fit 6" heads wonderfully. I made him a liner and popped it on his melon.
I made him some body armor, in black (black hockey tape because of course.)
1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51731338281_d6e51f37b7_b

He's got two helmet options, I kinda like the second pretty good. His M60 is also a McFarlane piece, I repainted it, articulated the carry handle, and made a sling for it.
1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51731991994_40fd647421_b

1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51730526707_a6a3a6ce0d_b
His camelbak is from McFarlane, too, repainted and with grosgrain straps rigged up.

He's also got an M16A4, again from McFarlane...I also salvaged the hands off those old figures, but I forgot to grab pictures of the M16 and hands, I haven't had a chance to get some proper photos of him yet.

I may have been a little quiet here, but was definitely not idle.

21:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:17 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Holy cow, that was awesome. You had me with the load bearing vest. Paper towel, hockey tape (check!), and all. Smile Thanks for sharing it with us.

31:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:33 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
GubernatorFan wrote:Holy cow, that was awesome. You had me with the load bearing vest. Paper towel, hockey tape (check!), and all. Smile Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks for checking it out! Gotta be consistent, eh?

41:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:42 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I did, by the way, get myself a few rolls of different kinds of hockey tape. Just haven't done anything much with them yet (trying to make leather-like boots).

51:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Oh cool! Definitely looking forward to seeing what you get up to with it.

For leather I highly recommend using a plain paper towel as a backer. The tape gives nice extra strength, and the paper when painted can give a nice leather like look.

1:12 Load Bearing Vest 51327202359_dab05d5af1_b

61:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:29 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the advice. So the paper towel would be on the visible outside, the tape on the inside? (I was going to use tape glued to tape for the parts that were not supposed to stick onto anything.)

71:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Basically, yes! Then you use the lined sheet as your starting sheet and cut out what you'd need, similar to using paper patterns for clothing making.

The holster pocket above is all one part. I cut it out, folded it over, trimmed the excess and glued it down. Then added some of the excess for the strap. When you fold the holster over the belt, it makes its own loop, then you tuck it into the strap and you're set.

For straps, I find 1/8" is a pretty perfect size, and I'd recommend a good straight edge and a good pair of scissors as well. And make them a little longer than you think necessary.

81:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:45 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you again, PickleMunkey. I'll see what happens and maybe one day it will be on show here. Smile

91:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:46 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Please do! I'd really look forward to seeing it!

101:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:12 am

Diana

Diana
This kind of stuff is always very inspiring and I just put some hockey tape into my shopping basket. I think it may be too thick for one of my plans, but it looks perfectly suitable for making boots and bags and the likes and I can't wait to give it a try! Perfect extension to my kinesiology tape experiment. Very Happy

So thank you very much for documenting and sharing your progress!

111:12 Load Bearing Vest Empty Re: 1:12 Load Bearing Vest Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:16 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Glad to be of service, Diana! It can be really versatile stuff, I think you'll enjoy it. I definitely look forward to seeing what you get up to with it Smile Thanks for checking this out, too!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum