OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I Wish There Were More 1/6 Scale "Normal People" Clothes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Adeno

Ever since I started loving 1/6 scale people, probably the most challenging aspect of collecting them is finding clothes for them to wear. Majority of the time, whenever I try looking for clothes, all the ones I find either look super sexy or they look like high end fashion that only models wear while modeling on the ramp. Clothes worn by normal people are very rare. I've only seen the occasional tank top, underwear, maybe a few exercise clothes. Office clothes are also quite hard to find so whenever a company like Super Duck decides to put up pre-orders for office clothes, I feel happy because finally, my little friends will have something different, yet normal, to wear!

The 1/6 scale industry seems to be quite big and profitable, especially in China. Looking at their BBICN forum (with the help of a translator), it seems super active with lots of people all the time. I imagine basically 95% of all the 1/6 scale stuff we have originate from China. Still, with all the headsculpts, with all the weapons and accessories they make, there's still a complete lack of "Normal People" clothes. I hope someday, a company would dedicate themselves to making 1/6 scale "Normal People" clothes like what us real full sized humans have. I bet those "Normal People" clothes would sell just as well (or even better) as their superhero costumes and the like.

I guess what prompted me to make this topic is how tough it is to find a long white dress for my ghost character. You know, a simple long white dress, something that even shops like Walmart or Target (or even One Dollar stores) have in abundance. Something that no human being would ever have trouble looking for because it's one of the most common types of clothes since human beings started wearing clothes lol!

Not all 1/6 clothes have to be flashy. Most of the time, collectors also want "Normal People" clothes for their 1/6 friends! Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
While I wouldn't say that there is a complete absence of "normal" clothing, I think this is mostly true. Finding practical common designs apart from more specific dress up or sports outfits is not very easy, and a lot of such items tend to come from parted-out sets, which means they are few in number and not easy to find. I suppose in principle flashier and more character-specific outfits are both more profitable and harder to make, but the supply and demand situation paradoxically makes more ordinary clothing harder to come by.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I agree, this is a huge annoyance for me as well. While there seem to be a lot more 1/6 clothing options than there used to be, it is still fairly limited in terms of overall aesthetic. I have my own aesthetic preference, and the mass produced third party stuff rarely ever suits it.

What I've taken to doing is looking for handmade options on Etsy.  There are some 1/6 scale clothing makers there. There are also certain options of doll clothing that fit the smaller tbleague female bodies. For instance, if you look up 'made to move barbie clothing' you will find some that has the potential of fitting the s25b figures. And the 'made to move curvy' size clothing will even sometimes fit the more curvy s29b. Of course, not everything will fit perfectly and you have to sort of learn your way around what works and what doesn't. But you can find more of a range of styles this way. This is how I've branched out and been able to find some clothing that is more 'my' preferred style.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

csyeung

csyeung
I agree with you on this. A lot of times the best is from parted out stuff, but you have to be current with what just released so you can grab them as soon as they pop up. I always think about grabbing some barbie clothes but unsure if A. if they will fit and B the quality of the stitching/ material they use. The barbie clothing is way cheaper though and I think sometimes 1/6 stores sell the barbie clothing but at 3 or 4 x the price.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I’d like to see more everyday clothing as well. I lean more towards the “action figure” side of the hobby character wise, but it would be nice to have, say, a version of Kerr when she’s out of uniform and just dressed like “The Girl Next Door”. As cheap as VeryCool bodies are to come by, I could just swap her head between the two…in uniform and out of uniform.

Therein lies one of the Catch-22s in this hobby though, at least when it comes to female figures. The most popular base bodies are seamless, but why have a seamless body if most of it is covered up? So we keep getting clothing that shows off bare midriffs, bare shoulders, cleavage, legs, etc.

What I’d like to see is more of an unspoken agreement between collectors and manufacturers that we don’t always need seamless bodies, and by extension, skimpy clothing. How about some clothing that would look great on a VeryCool body like a pair of jeans, socks, athletic shoes, and a t-shirt, sweater, etc.?

davidd

davidd
I suppose another option is that we all get ourselves in to "fashion model runway shape" and start dressing like models and action heroes ourselves. Bring high style back in to our own lives - set aside the sloppy surf shorts and t-shirt look. Make our own personal "normal" more like an action figure version of normal, which would serve the purpose of making action figure normal look more everyday normal.

Glancing in to a mirror, I realize this is, at least for me, a somewhat unrealistic proposition.

Sad

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I guess most of the civilian clothes available in 1/6 are "flashy" because most(?) people want something cool for their figure, like I totally understand wanting a set of grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt but I guess most people would want maybe a leather jacket or a pair of urban fashion pants, or a femme fatale dress, its like the sims (if anyone has played that) why would I dress like I do when I have the option to look cool?

Naturally I think that there should be more clothing options, specially for female figures since I feel you can get a more or less normal look on male figures.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! I Wish There Were More 1/6 Scale "Normal People" Clothes 1f60e

Diana

Diana
There are plenty of shirts, tank tops and blouses, jeans, skirts and leggings out there. So maybe the lack is more specifically for dresses, that are not evening gowns and/or overtly sexy. A nice simple little summer dress would be hard to find, but... shouldn't be so hard to make... *thinking*

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum