OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Comic Book Lettering!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Comic Book Lettering! Empty Comic Book Lettering! Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:57 am

EvilErnie

EvilErnie
Hope this is alright to include here--it isn't my tutorial and it isn't directly related to figures, but in the short time I've been checking out the world of 1/6 dolls I've noticed a lot of people like to make comics! (Part of the reason I decided to invest in a phicen doll was for art reference tbh lol)

I've been working on my own comics hoping to be published next year, and one thing I've noticed that a lot of people take for granted is lettering! It's actually a really cool artform I've gained appreciation for after attempting it myself, and I love to share stuff with others that have helped me along the way.

You don't need any fancy art programs to do it (although they're always a perk lol), these are just some general guidelines that might be helpful when planning out and editing scenes/panels.

I am not including all of the lettering tips on the website, just the ones I think would be most helpful here--But if you are interested in reading more, everything is from Blambot.com! (They also have a great selection of fonts, a lot of which are free, and if you are serious in learning more about lettering I HIGHLY recommend their book. It's geared towards Photoshop but a lot of the technical things can be adapted to other programs.)

Comic Book Lettering! Bl004
Comic Book Lettering! Bl005-633
Comic Book Lettering! Bl006-633
Comic Book Lettering! Bl007-633
Comic Book Lettering! Bl012-633
Comic Book Lettering! Bl013-633
Comic Book Lettering! Bl014-633

This page also has great general advice on the visual language of dialogue balloons. Here's a snippet:
Comic Book Lettering! Grammar_tails
BALLOON TAILS
"If at all possible, a balloon tail should point to a character's mouth as if an invisible line continued on past the end of the tail to their face. Pointing it in the general area of the character, (their hand, leg, etc.,) should be avoided if possible. A tail should terminate at roughly 50-60% of the distance between the balloon and the character's head."

If you have access to Illustrator, here are a couple of videos from Scott McCloud on lettering (some techniques shown in the vids are the same or similar to those in the Blambot book but the book goes into much more detail.)

(ALSO if you are interested in comic making in any form, I HIGHLY recommend Scott's books, Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics, and Making Comics--they will revolutionize the way you think about making them. Big fan, highly recommend, 10/10.)

Hope that all makes sense--and obviously don't worry about it if you don't have the time or just don't care how your lettering looks lol, hobbies are meant to be fun, not a chore! (This just happens to be how I have fun lmao. No I do not get out often. Sunlight? What's that?)

Hope you enjoy! I can also answer any questions if you have any (or on making comics in general, though I know that's not exactly the purpose of this forum. I'm here because I wanted to make a doll of one of my characters so the topics are connected in my mind lol)

2Comic Book Lettering! Empty Re: Comic Book Lettering! Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:28 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I did enjoy it, and thank you for posting this. How I wish I had had this at my disposal when I first started making inroads into comics-like vignettes. But my exposure to comics lies very far back in the past, and I entered this whole part of the hobby (posting online, etc) from the perspective of reviewing sets and bodies and accessories. As a result, I tend to avoid covering up much of the actual figures, which limits the options for placing the balloons even further. And for some reason I seem to be stuck on preferring rectangular balloons. Hopefully I will remember (or remember to check back here) some of these lessons to improve. I think we all live and learn, but plenty of us can benefit from this. And others have been making some massive comics-style photo stories, as you can see in that section of the forum.

Since you mentioned problems navigating the forum (the advice you got was was correct -- click on user's name which will take you to their profile, then on the statistics tab, then on the number of topics link, and you'll see a listing), in case you want to have a look, here are a couple of my more recent stories with links to the older ones (at least the Star Wars-related ones anyway).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5484-star-wars-spoof-banned-tv-advertisement-from-the-80s-nsfw#77386

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4234-rivals-photo-heavy#59153

3Comic Book Lettering! Empty Re: Comic Book Lettering! Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:55 am

EvilErnie

EvilErnie
GubernatorFan wrote:I did enjoy it, and thank you for posting this. How I wish I had had this at my disposal when I first started making inroads into comics-like vignettes. But my exposure to comics lies very far back in the past, and I entered this whole part of the hobby (posting online, etc) from the perspective of reviewing sets and bodies and accessories. As a result, I tend to avoid covering up much of the actual figures, which limits the options for placing the balloons even further. And for some reason I seem to be stuck on preferring rectangular balloons. Hopefully I will remember (or remember to check back here) some of these lessons to improve. I think we all live and learn, but plenty of us can benefit from this. And others have been making some massive comics-style photo stories, as you can see in that section of the forum.

Since you mentioned problems navigating the forum (the advice you got was was correct -- click on user's name which will take you to their profile, then on the statistics tab, then on the number of topics link, and you'll see a listing), in case you want to have a look, here are a couple of my more recent stories with links to the older ones (at least the Star Wars-related ones anyway).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5484-star-wars-spoof-banned-tv-advertisement-from-the-80s-nsfw#77386

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4234-rivals-photo-heavy#59153

Thanks, I'll check 'em out Very Happy
And glad I could help!

Altering the typical comic book formatting for doll photography can definitely pose a challenge. Usually it's best to avoid having balloons cover up characters at all, but the problem is usually that we want to see the most of the figures in photography, so we tend not to take as many extreme angles or closeups as you tend to see in comics.

What I would do is zoom out from your frame without losing quality/details, so there is more background space to fit dialogue balloons into. Although sometimes this would mean going beyond your backdrop or diorama and might need some more intense editing (unless you don't mind blurring it out terribly and hoping the speech bubbles draw enough attention away from it lol)

I'll have to do some experimenting myself. I might try to utilize a green screen for some backdrops but I know very little about green screens and my character is green so I'm not sure how that will go lol

4Comic Book Lettering! Empty Re: Comic Book Lettering! Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:01 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
EvilErnie wrote:
Thanks, I'll check 'em out Very Happy
And glad I could help!

Altering the typical comic book formatting for doll photography can definitely pose a challenge. Usually it's best to avoid having balloons cover up characters at all, but the problem is usually that we want to see the most of the figures in photography, so we tend not to take as many extreme angles or closeups as you tend to see in comics.

What I would do is zoom out from your frame without losing quality/details, so there is more background space to fit dialogue balloons into. Although sometimes this would mean going beyond your backdrop or diorama and might need some more intense editing (unless you don't mind blurring it out terribly and hoping the speech bubbles draw enough attention away from it lol)

I'll have to do some experimenting myself. I might try to utilize a green screen for some backdrops but I know very little about green screens and my character is green so I'm not sure how that will go lol
Oh yes, I feel the same way, hence the quandry. And I have done a little bit of what you suggest in terms of allowing the bubble to go partly or wholly go outside the edge of the frame. As for green screen (or blue screen, or whatever), to be honest I find it a bit of a hassle and usually try to avoid it (though I used a lot of it in the Silver Linings story); I do use transparent background or translucent png images on top of the photos sometimes.

5Comic Book Lettering! Empty Re: Comic Book Lettering! Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:08 pm

davidd

davidd
Very useful when it comes to making action figure photo-story comics, in my opinion, is the Plasq Comic Life software:

https://plasq.com/downloads/comic-life-desktop/

Comic Life makes most aspects of creating photo comics much easier, particularly when working with word balloons (bubbles).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum