OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CIOPCC videos

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:31 am

michael crawford

Since this week's CIOPCC video tour covers a group of sixth scale figures, I thought I'd add it to the post! Time to get your Star Wars on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77wlL-gmNg&ab_channel=MichaelCrawford

27CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:55 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Wow! Just wow! Impressive.

28CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:12 pm

skywalkersaga

I love all the Sideshow and Hasbro stuff, especially the aliens, the large animal mounts, and the diorama scenes and pieces. I know those older figures are not everyone's fave, but there are some fun things in there! And you are right, some of those will likely never be made by Hot Toys, so why not have them on display with the rest. Smile

The Bespin Luke hanging from the ceiling was also a particularly awesome touch! CIOPCC videos - Page 2 1f44c

29CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:15 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Honestly, Sideshow excelled at the aliens, etc., and if they were smart they’d update those and do more.

30CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:31 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Lovely collection. Interesting to see them all there. And just how many Clone Troopers Sideshow did, again. Wish they had given so much love to the Original Trilogy. Interesting to see where you have opted to pick up newer or HT versions and where not. I've been on a Star Wars customs binge for a while now and this is not helping. Smile

31CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:04 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Most impressive Very Happy

32CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:46 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote: And just how many Clone Troopers Sideshow did, again. Wish they had given so much love to the Original Trilogy.

Don't think it's possible to fully compare there, seeing as there are a huge variety of Clone Troopers, both as battle groups with particular armour colour schemes and also as individuals, whereas the OT Stormtroopers don't have the same amount of variation. The Clone Troopers' individuality and variation is purposeful, to show the difference between the more free and colourful Twilight of the Republic time period vs. the oppressive Dark Times.

Also, Sideshow was still in the process of making the Clone Troopers as of the mid-2010s (I think there's a Sideshow Rex from as late as 2015?) and I presume they might have eventually done even more OT figures if not for Hot Toys also starting to put those out around the same time. That being said, it does seem like Sideshow had already put out quite a lot of OT related material by that point, based on what's in Michael Crawford's collection, at least. ;D Though you are porobably referring to the 'Militaries' series, which is what I assume was somewhat interrupted by Hot Toys becoming the more popular 1/6 scale source for Star Wars figures.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

33CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:10 pm

Ovy

Ovy
What a beautiful tour.  I especially like the occasional funny gimmick like one handed Luke hanging around in Cloud city.
(I really should have taken the path of international drugs and arms dealer when I had the chance.)

Imagine being an archeologist discovering this beautiful place in the far future.

The Sideshow Clones are what got me interested in 1/6 in the first place. Not that I ever bought or owned a 1/6 Star Wars figure. I think I haven't even seen a real 1/6 Star Wars figure yet. But they made me realise that 1/6 scale exists. But I mean, why would an adult pay +100$ for a toy figure, it's insane, INSANE!

34CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote: And just how many Clone Troopers Sideshow did, again. Wish they had given so much love to the Original Trilogy.

Don't think it's possible to fully compare there, seeing as there are a huge variety of Clone Troopers, both as battle groups with particular armour colour schemes and also as individuals, whereas the OT Stormtroopers don't have the same amount of variation. The Clone Troopers' individuality and variation is purposeful, to show the difference between the more free and colourful Twilight of the Republic time period vs. the oppressive Dark Times.

Also, Sideshow was still in the process of making the Clone Troopers as of the mid-2010s (I think there's a Sideshow Rex from as late as 2015?) and I presume they might have eventually done even more OT figures if not for Hot Toys also starting to put those out around the same time. That being said, it does seem like Sideshow had already put out quite a lot of OT related material by that point, based on what's in Michael Crawford's collection, at least. ;D Though you are porobably referring to the 'Militaries' series, which is what I assume was somewhat interrupted by Hot Toys becoming the more popular 1/6 scale source for Star Wars figures.
I am under the impression that Sideshow's Militaries series was not that recent (judging by the bodies and the quality of the heads), so it would have run concurrently with the clone troopers (aren't they part of it, too?) -- unless the clone troopers were all earlier and largely wrapped up before they started that (I wouldn't know). Did they leave any clones behind? Smile Because there is a lot that they didn't do for the Original Trilogy, although it would be a shame they didn't try to cover more faceless figures.

Among Imperials, they did do:
Admiral Piett (works for most olive-tunic imperial officers)
Commander Praji (works for most black-tunic imperial officers)
Stormtrooper (with flaring out chest and back plates and wrong proportions ratio in the "nose" area)
Snowtrooper (I personally didn't like the sculpted creases on the face mask, although in principle it is justified)
Snowtrooper Commander
AT-AT Driver
Scout Trooper
TIE Fighter Pilot (two versions, including the leather suit for Rogue One)
Sandtrooper (3? paint variants, wrong proportions ratio in the "nose" area, one was a deluxe option with Dewback)

Among Imperials, they did not do, although they had produced much of the necessary outfit pieces for many of them:
Naval Guard (AKA Death Star/Squad Trooper, there should be two variants: tunic and overalls) (Hot Toys planned but failed to do one of these)
Naval Officer (black overalls; the tunic version is covered by Praji above)
Communications officer (olive tunic)
Medical? Officer (olive tunic, black pants)
Gunner (there should be two variants: with or without leather breastplate) (Hot Toys made one, not entirely accurately)
Security Bureau (cream tunic, black cap)
Scanning Crew (grey overalls, olive cap)
Naval Tech (light blue overalls, olive cap)
Ground Crew (dark blue overalls, black talker helmet) (not the Rogue One reinterpretation, which Hot Toys kinda did, with Jyn Erso)
AT-ST Driver (works for imperial army troopers)
Royal Guard (Hot Toys made those)
not including various named characters (including Tarkin, Ozzel, Jerjerrod, etc.)

Among Rebels, they did do:
Captain Antilles
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Rebel Commando (Endor) (3 variants)

Among Rebels, they did not do:
Rebel Commando (Hoth) (multiple variants)
Rebel Commander (Hoth)
not including various named characters

And don't get me started on the Jabba people...err, aliens (besides Jabba, there's what, Bib Fortuna, Gamorrean Guard, and Leia as Boussh, apart from three little critters?). Smile Though they did good on the bounty hunter group.

I don't know whether they intended to cover more with the Original Trilogy, but clearly it was a secondary priority for them compared to the Prequel Trilogy. And I can't be happy about that. Perhaps they got discouraged by Hot Toys. But the thing is, apart from an occasional problem here and there, Sideshow was actually pretty good at nailing armor and costume. And it used to be at a lower price point.

35CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:01 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy -- Ha, yeah, I remember you saying the Clones caught your attention, they really were nice figures for Sideshow.

GF - I don't know exactly when Sideshow started the Militaries line (maybe Michael knows more details), but it was definitely way before 'my time'. They may have put some out during the Prequels era but I was under the impression a lot of the 'individual' Clone troopers were done to coincide with the 3D animated Clone Wars series, which started all the way back in 2008 with the release of the pilot episode/feature-length movie (the series itself started airing in 2009).

36CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:44 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:GF - I don't know exactly when Sideshow started the Militaries line (maybe Michael knows more details), but it was definitely way before 'my time'. They may have put some out during the Prequels era but I was under the impression a lot of the 'individual' Clone troopers were done to coincide with the 3D animated Clone Wars series, which started all the way back in 2008 with the release of the pilot episode/feature-length movie (the series itself started airing in 2009).
Looking at the reviews on Michael's website (some of them are my guest reviews! Smile ), which do not include absolutely every figure (or even every figure he has, judging by the collection video), it looks like we can approximately date the Militaries of Star Wars line by Sideshow as c. 2007-2013. It seems that the various "series" of figures ended this type of group designation after 2013. Moreover, the Militaries series included both Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy figures. In the list below, the dates reflect the review, but usually correspond to the date of release.

Dengar (2018), Zuckuss (2018), Snowtrooper Commander (2018), TIE-Fighter Pilot (2017), 4-LOM (2017), AT-AT Driver (2016), Jawa 2 pack (2016), C-3PO (2016), X-Wing Pilot Luke (2015), Scout Trooper (2015), Hoth Luke and Han (2015), Cad Bane (2015), Jango Fett (2015), Captain Rex (2015), Clone Troopers Deluxe (2014), General Grievous (2014), Darth Vader Deluxe (2014), Yoda (2013), Battle Droid and STAP (2012) were not part of a designated series.

Snowtrooper (2013), Battle Droids 2 pack (2012), Sandtrooper Deluxe and Dewback (2011), Clone Sergeant (2011), Admiral Thrawn (2010), Imperial Shock Trooper (2009), Republic Clone Trooper Utapau (2009), Imperial Stormtrooper (2009), Captain Antilles (2009), Commander Praji (2008), Rebel Commando(s) (2007) belonged to the series called Militaries of Star Wars.

Emperor Palapatine (2010), Darth Vader (2009), Chancellor Palpatine (2008), Darth Sidious (2008), Asajj Ventress (2007), Darth Maul (2006), Anakin Skywalker Sith Apprentice (2006) belonged to a series called Lords of the Sith.

Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Padawan (2013), Yoda (2011), Ki-Adi-Mundi (2008), General Obi-Wan Kenobi (2008), Aayala Secura (2008), Obi-Wan Kenobi (2007), Mace Windu (2006), Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Master (2006), Qui-Gon Jinn (2006), Kit Fisto (2006), Anakin Skywalker (2006), Luke Skywalker (2006) belonged to a series called Order of the Jedi.

Bossk Bounty Hunter (2013), Tusken Raider Sand People (2012), Boba Fett (2012), IG-88 (2012), Figrin D'an (2011), Gamorrean Guard (2011), Momaw Nadon (2011), first Jabba the Hutt (2007), Bib Fortuna (2006) belonged to a series called Scum & Villainy. Some of these were re-released later, maybe no longer under this series designation.

Lando Calrissian (2009), Luke Skywalker Moisture Farmer (2008), Han Solo Smuggler (2008), Padme Amidala Naboo Senator Ilum (2008), Leia Organa (2007), Luke Skywalker Bespin (2007), Luke Skywalker Yavin (2007), Han Solo Bespin (2006) belonged to a series called Heroes of the Rebellion (though it began after Padme died!).

37CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:12 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for finding the full list, I was having trouble tracking it down on Sideshow's actual website.

The dates of release do correspond more or less with the original run of the 3D Clone Wars series. It was cancelled in 2013. (And only briefly 'revived' later by Disney for a final season in 2020, which I of course stubbornly refused to watch CIOPCC videos - Page 2 1f605 ).

I brought up the animated series mainly to explain why there was possibly a disproportionate focus on Clone Troopers in that particular Sideshow line.

38CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:16 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for finding the full list, I was having trouble tracking it down on Sideshow's actual website.

The dates of release do correspond more or less with the original run of the 3D Clone Wars series. It was cancelled in 2013. (And only briefly 'revived' later by Disney for a final season in 2020, which I of course stubbornly refused to watch  CIOPCC videos - Page 2 1f605 ).

I brought up the animated series mainly to explain why there was possibly a disproportionate focus on Clone Troopers in that particular Sideshow line.
No problem, you got me curious, so I went through it. But it is not a full list. As you can see it only has several clone troopers from the reviews, whereas Michael's collection has what seems to be dozens of variants.
Anyway, you might very well be right about the alignment with the animated series. On the other hand, Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy figures were produced concurrently with those and also afterwards, so they did not start them after coverage of the series ended (or the series themselves did).
By the way, it must be pretty disappointing that that was their only Padme, no? I think I remember you sharing your disapproval before. Your custom one makes this one look like a rag doll by comparison.

39CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:40 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
By the way, it must be pretty disappointing that that was their only Padme, no? I think I remember you sharing your disapproval before. Your custom one makes this one look like a rag doll by comparison.

Oh goodness, yeah....that Sideshow Padme is pretty infamous, lol. Glad you liked my version though. Speaking of which, I need to take some more photos of my upgraded version of that figure. I shared a few pics here several years ago for the holiday season, but I've made a few adjustments since then. Thanks for the reminder. Wink

But yes, it is indeed very frustrating that there isn't a newer official Padme figure out yet. Can only hope that maybe someday Hot Toys will finally deign to release the one they teased back in 2019...Razz

40CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:19 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh goodness, yeah....that Sideshow Padme is pretty infamous, lol. Glad you liked my version though. Speaking of which, I need to take some more photos of my upgraded version of that figure. I shared a few pics here several years ago for the holiday season, but I've made a few adjustments since then. Thanks for the reminder. Wink

But yes, it is indeed very frustrating that there isn't a newer official Padme figure out yet. Can only hope that maybe someday Hot Toys will finally deign to release the one they teased back in 2019...Razz
It would be great to see them again, updates and all. At least for Padme there are several options when it comes to head sculpts. And that goes a long way to potential kitbashing a custom figure.

41CIOPCC videos - Page 2 Empty Re: CIOPCC videos Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:22 pm

michael crawford

Latest video tour that involves sixth scale is DC…

CIOPCC Favorite Collection- DC sixth scale action figures
https://youtu.be/sZYmgENvN1I

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum