OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
hi folks,

haven´t been very active for quite some time, even had my 3d printer around for about 3 months before putting it to use.
so i´m all the more happy to present you my newest, albeit small additions to my collection.

first is a 12.7 mm pistol from fallout. though i lack a usefull 3d model of a 14mm pistol this is a nice new piece for my fallout collection. sorry for the fingertip grip, the paint and coating wasn´t dry completely at the time of photo shooting, so i didn´t want any stains on the figures hands.

next is "the main piece" in my list of first steps. the ultra greatsword from the dark souls series. such a joy to use in game it simply deserved a place in my collection.
sadly i miscalculated the amount of greenstuff i needed to hide the seams, thought it would be covered better when painted, yet the paint made it even worse.
not much of a bummer since i can print the pieces anew over and over again.
i´ll add a pic of the blemishes, mainly the visible gaps where the pieces are put together and a little bit of warping along the edge at the top.
the later problem can be traced to the temperature of the printing bed, which i found out soon after.

hope you like ´em

cheers
tjolnir

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice work. I really like the gun. Pretty cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Well done for getting some decent results! I haven't a clue how to use one..LOL.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Like shovelchop said... congratulations on entering the world of 3D printing... I considered it but trying to self-learn 3D software design (admittedly on freeware) was so unpromising that I have given up for the time being. What you've managed so far looks pretty good, especially considering you are new to it.

Allotropos

Allotropos
cool stuff !
imagining all the possibilities but sadly like Shovelchop - I wish I knew how to use one !

shazzdan

shazzdan
3D printing is the future of this hobby. Looking forward to seeing more. Which printer did you buy? I'm currently saving for a Lulzbot.

dadrab

dadrab
Nice work, man. Getting good results, as I understand, can be a bit of a challenge. You seem to be well on the way, though. The gun turned out really well.

And, I really like the knight. It's one of the CooModel versions, is it not?

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks guys. glad you like them.
the printer i use right now is a sp200 from saarpri, a local company. for 1300€ it gets a rather good quality and the folks that build them are "just around the corner" should i need maintenance.
the printer itself is quite easy to use, apart from a few settings i'm not familiar with at the moment. but all in all its putting a 3d model on a sd cart and selecting print, thats it.
though the tricky part is how to get the models.

first you need to extract something from the game(provided they are extractable by an existing program). second you need "nifscope" in my case of fallout/skyrim models to save them as a 3d model file ending. third program is called autodesk something(sorry need to check my laptop for the name), it mainly fixes the holes after cutting the models in half, since they are hollow by default. the trick is to cut the objects apart to place them flat on the printing bed. last but not least is simplify 3d to make the file ready to print.

geez, quite some headaches prior to the printing itself Smile though it gets easier once you took a few tries.

the knight is indeed a coo model one, royal knight if i recall correctly. was kinda 1:1 copy of the dark souls knight armor, so no effort left here.

once i'm back from vacation on friday i'll jump back into fallout items again.
cheers
tjolnir

shazzdan

shazzdan
Put a few of these on ebay to help offset the prototyping costs.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Nice, lots of potential.

CHEERS!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Really cool! Great start, and man, the possibilities really are endless. It opens up a ton of options going forward. I hadn't even thought of extracting the 3d files directly from a game, but that's a brilliant option over scratch building them in a 3d program. Can't wait to see where you take things from here!

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
infact thats the only option available to me, couldn't build a 3d model of a rock if my life depended on it, let alone build complex objects from scratch.
the whole idea of a 3d printer was build around the premise of making it as much copy paste as possible. granted it has to fit the topic, but as far as weapons go fallout new vegas weapons of the new milenia mod from nexusmods should cover about "all" modern assault rifles as well as a couple of handguns and shotguns. so even for non fallout fans these can be used for various projects.

small issue i encountered thus far is since fallout 4 lets you mod weaponry in a more complex way, the models itself are single pieces that you need to fuse together by hand. this can be a bit tricky since you have to do this for both halves and they got to align perfectly lest they don't fit together after printing. no help here but your measurement.

good thing about fallout 4 weaponry is the size, fallout new vegas weapons seem a bit "slim" after printing and i havent found a good way to broaden them up .

next project in the far future would be either a ranger or visor from quake3/live/champions depending on a program that can convert or extract .pk3 files, skyrim and fallout use meshes from .ba .ba2, total differnt source material.
but technical stuff aside the possibilities are only limited by your patience.

cheers
tjolnir

Ephiane

Ephiane
can´t see a picture Crying or Very sad

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Ephiane wrote:can´t see a picture Crying or Very sad

They were there but seem to have been deleted by the OP, maybe he's replacing them with newer ones? scratch

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
huh? weird, didn't take them down nor delete them. maybe my upload platform took em down 'cause "weapons" i don't know.

i did however put my printer through some more testing, unfortunately i'm down with the flue or something, so fixing them pics and uploading new ones might take a couple of days, not feeling very fit atm. sorry guys.

Ephiane

Ephiane
The SEK Guys are on the way to You, Tjolnir.... Laughing

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
then i guess they should get ready for a surprise

Laughing

just checked the site i uploaded the pics on, they seem to be down due to maintenance.
guess they´ll be visible again soon
cheers

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
ok so the site seems down for quite a while now, i just re-uploaded the pics in a bulk somewhere else and toss it in here for the time be.

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 12mm

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 12mm2

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 Gs1

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 Gs3

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 Gs4

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 Gs5

btw, had my first major "mishap" yesterday. took on an object that would take 8 hours straight to print only to have it (censored) up after 5 hours Sad seems like the printing bed wasn´t attached enough (4 clamps to hold it on the moving part) and got misaligned 70% through the printing..... bummer! only checked on it every hour or so, so no way to save it.

but i guess it´s part of the learning process, even the guy that sold and build the printer was surprised i had that little problems so early on, got it spewing out fallout items right now as there was no tomorrow =)

cheers

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Dude, that sucks about the printing error. But, as you say, it’s all part of the learning curve. Mistakes are what makes things better in the long run.

By the way, I’m still not seeing your pics, how did you post them?

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
now its getting strange, just replying from my ipad with deleted history and can see them just fine in my latestbpost. first upload was on bilder hochladen something, second on picload. while the first still seem to be down i can watch the second just fine.... weird

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I can see the now in your second post; just not in the 1st.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Like Stryker. Think the best option is the " Host an Image " here in the chat funktions ?

See the pics now in Your secound post. Great Stuff.... Now i know a Guy with a 3D Printer, cool. Can we be Friends ? Laughing

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
gonna give the other host option a shot next time i upload some new pics, guess by tomorrow. feeling a lot better and will paint the next batch of items by tomorrow, saturday at the latest.
funny thing about the 3d printer is that i'm now using more greenstuff than ever Smile

3d models in games look all well and good but i just learned that most of them are "hollow".
guess ingame you don't need substance so once cut in half you end up with something similar to dracular and a mirror. and this seems to irritate the printer since he wants a solid base to print upon.
some programs seem to help fill the gaps but some models come out partially "raw". kinda seth brundles teleporter if that makes any sense Wink
most empty spaces i was able to fill with super glue and greenstuff and i hope once painted it won't stand out badly.

next is time: so far i had 2 weeks vacation and 1 week off due to a bad cold, but anything bigger than a few inch needs hours to print. and you shouldn't leave a 200degree celsius printing head unmonitored. so bigger items are limited to the weekends or days off.
got a new figure in the making and the first piece took 7hours to print....

oh and sure we can be friends;) i consider everyone patient and dedicated enough to put up with this hair pulling hobby a buddy of mine
cheers
tjolnir

small update: wind and spraypaint doesn´t mix.... i know i know.... common sense, though i just wanted to get something done today. result ain´t to bad, yet i´ll wait for better weather and after work on saturday with the bulk of items so i´ll upload new pics rather monday than tomorrow.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
hi folks, another small update.

first batch of fallout 1 themed weapons just dry after painting, sadly my smartphone doesn´t show the colors very accurate so the pic looks a bit "off"

still i´m happy with the result in hands.

first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 G110

the bigger on top is the city killer shotgun first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 Latest?cb=20110207063715

lower left is the fallout 3 version of the 10mm smg, painted in the theme of fallout 1. haven´t found a printable model of the real old version yet, so this will have to make due. as a little bonus i had the option to make the mag removable. first major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 Latest?cb=20110211035545

last but not least the starting pistol of the game. yes it´s a magazin fed drum revolver, odd but so it is written in the fallout lorefirst major steps with my 3d printer/update 04.01 Latest?cb=20110211035324

more fallout stuff coming soon....
cheers

shazzdan

shazzdan
Nice job but You are right about them being too thin.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum