OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

ukshaun

Tanzenwolfe wrote:Great progress on the head and the boots - looking good even though the flocking seemed to work a little differently than hoped….  I like the shot of flocking in action - looks like the wicked witch of the east had an accident with a box!

Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

ukshaun

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Haircu10
LOADING: Image(s)

From this angle, something about the eye's and mouth remind me of Juliette Lewis
The white face takes me back to the Rock band Kiss

Updates..

The hair style / cut has been worked on some more.

Upper chest area has been made to look whiter / lighter (than Phichen pale - which looks pink)
Thanks to GubernatorFan for the help offered.

Bright / Dark / Pink top added. I went for this top as the color was correct and the v-neck shape was ideal.
In an ideal world the top would have sleeves and be made from different fabric.
Since the plan is to add a jacket, the lack of sleeves is not a issue.

I have 2 jackets on order. One is black, one is patterned. Neither is accurate to the source material,
although i am more aiming for the vibe of the character. I have a feeling the black jacket just might work better.
For the moment i have my fingers crossed that the jacket sleeves are longer enough to cover the wrist joints.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I agree about the likeness to Juliette Lewis. You can either repaint the head some more or recolor the body. More specifically about making a body paler, there is this thread, with two versions and a look at the pastels:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4922-yet-another-tbleague-body-pale-repaint-experiment-updated-with-part-ii-2-0

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

ukshaun

GubernatorFan wrote:I agree about the likeness to Juliette Lewis. You can either repaint the head some more or recolor the body. More specifically about making a body paler, there is this thread, with two versions and a look at the pastels:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4922-yet-another-tbleague-body-pale-repaint-experiment-updated-with-part-ii-2-0

The plan is to leave the body as is Smile
I could always swap out the portrait for another one (with less white) in the future.
At the same time, i do like the over white face, as it gives the impression of a being who is not quite up to scratch when it comes to dressing like an Earth based female.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Dsc00110

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Dsc00111

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Dsc00112

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Dsc00113

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Dsc00114

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Dsc00115

The fur jacket arrived today. It fits well, even if it bulks out the figure. The height of the jack is correct, as is the arm length.

I took some pictures. The figure looks better in person than the photo's suggest. I should work on more photo's in the future, preferably shot outside on an not so bright / overcast day.

As much as i like the portrait, it is too white. I am thinking on having another go with the portrait to make it less white.

The purse was made by me using a section of real black leather (from an old wallet) cut and rolled around a section of card.

Yes, the figure is 100% inspired by Scarlett Johansson playing the part of The Female during the movie Under The Skin (2013)

The S29B Phicen / TBLeague body probably features a too bigger bust to represent Scarlett Johansson, although the rest of the body works well.

The black boots worked out so much better than i had planned.

The super tight denim's jeans work a treat, even if the rear pockets sit slightly on the low side.

The fur jacket has the knock-on-effect of making the portrait look under-ized.

One aspect of the fur jacket that is slightly annoying is the direction of the fur. On the body area the fur flows downwards, which is how it should be. On the arms the fur flows in the opposite direction (upwards) which fails to make sense. Whoever makes these jackets should consider fixing the issue.

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Under_12

Source of inspiration

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't know about how closely you want it to match that look, but I like it very much in itself. If you are going to repaint the face skin tone, consider mixing some Liquitex ultra matte medium into your paint, which would lessen the glossiness of the surface.

ukshaun

ukshaun
GubernatorFan wrote:I don't know about how closely you want it to match that look, but I like it very much in itself. If you are going to repaint the face skin tone, consider mixing some Liquitex ultra matte medium into your paint, which would lessen the glossiness of the surface.

I am happy with the results. It was never going to be possible to go for a 100% exact match, although using what was available + some work, allowed for the creation of something that captures the same / similar 'vibe' as the original character.

That said, i will be working on another portrait that is less white with bigger / more out of control (wind swept) hair, if only to see how it works out. I will look into Liquitex ultra matte. Is the idea to mix it with paint?
I had considered using thinned out white matte paint.

The current portrait was painted using spray paint (as i do not own an air-brush). The finished is very smooth, no brush strokes (obviously) and too shinny. The finished is tough.

The finish i am ideally after is the effect of someone who has been made up using white face make-up.

Valiarde

Valiarde
I do think the face is too white when shown under daylight conditions, but I really love the look of the jeans and boots! Smile  Really cool

If the jacket is too bulky you could try to cut it with a scissor, but it still works, comparing it to your source/inspiration pics

ukshaun

ukshaun
Valiarde wrote:I do think the face is too white when shown under daylight conditions, but I really love the look of the jeans and boots! Smile  Really cool

If the jacket is too bulky you could try to cut it with a scissor, but it still works, comparing it to your source/inspiration pics

The jeans and boots turned out well.
I will be working on another portrait, the same portrait with less white applied (i will keep the current white portrait as a back-up)

I have another jacker on order, the same jacket but in black. Depending on which jacket i prefer, i might experiment with trimming the jacket using an electric hair trimmer. It might work, it could go horribly wrong.

Do you have any suggestions for the ideal wig?
The black wig i used on the current white portrait was classed as wavy, but the wavy did not start to be wavy until the shoulder level, which is why the hair now looks nearly straight (as i cut the wavy off).

Ovy

Ovy
I used electric hair trimmers on furs and pelts in the past, but I'd recommend starting with small scissors first for more control.

I'd also keep the white head as a backup for another character, she looks like she could be a custom ghost as a hommage to a Japanese or Korean Horror Movie.

For wavy hair, Dark Chinese lamb hair might give you the best results.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Ovy wrote:I used electric hair trimmers on furs and pelts in the past, but I'd recommend starting with small scissors first for more control.

I'd also keep the white head as a backup for another character, she looks like she could be a custom ghost as a hommage to a Japanese or Korean Horror Movie.

For wavy hair, Dark Chinese lamb hair might give you the best results.

With electric trimmers there is more control over the amount of hair / fur being removed.
With scissors i would imagine the result looking choppy, which could work for some looks.

ukshaun

ukshaun
GubernatorFan wrote:I don't know about how closely you want it to match that look, but I like it very much in itself. If you are going to repaint the face skin tone, consider mixing some Liquitex ultra matte medium into your paint, which would lessen the glossiness of the surface.

Liquitex ultra matte appears to be something that produces a non shiny finish.
Q. Can it be used to create a non shiny semi transparent finish?
Q. Does Liquitex ultra matte have to be mixed with paint, or can it be used as is?
Q. What is the benefit of using Liquitex ultra matte compared to matte white paint?

(thanks)

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:

Q. Does Liquitex ultra matte have to be mixed with paint, or can it be used as is?
Q. What is the benefit of using Liquitex ultra matte compared to matte white paint?

(thanks)

I'm not sure about using it for a semitransparent finish by itself -- it might be just slightly whitish rather than completely clear, although that might be what you want.
Liquitex ultra matte medium is intended to be mixed with the paint. I mix it with the paint I use for the top layer of a head sculpt. In addition to producing a more matte result, it also ends up giving you more paint mix to work with.
Liquitex ultra matte medium might not be 100% transparent but it is a lot more so than white paint. It will make your paint mix slightly lighter and slightly cooler in tone than without it, but it is not meant to be a color. It works better than the Vallejo matte varnish or the acrylics without varnish.

ukshaun

ukshaun
GubernatorFan wrote:
ukshaun wrote:

(thanks)

I'm not sure about using it for a semitransparent finish by itself -- it might be just slightly whitish rather than completely clear, although that might be what you want.
Liquitex ultra matte medium is intended to be mixed with the paint. I mix it with the paint I use for the top layer of a head sculpt. In addition to producing a more matte result, it also ends up giving you more paint mix to work with.
Liquitex ultra matte medium might not be 100% transparent but it is a lot more so than white paint. It will make your paint mix slightly lighter and slightly cooler in tone than without it, but it is not meant to be a color. It works better than the Vallejo matte varnish or the acrylics without varnish.

I see. Thanks. I am still pondering white matte paint thinned out. I might give that a try on some spare plastic before spending out on Liquitex.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Another possibility is just using a matte varnish spray as a finish on the paint or inbetween painting steps.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Valiarde wrote:Another possibility is just using a matte varnish spray as a finish on the paint or inbetween painting steps.

I will look into that. Thanks Smile

BAMComix

BAMComix
Not familiar with the film, but a great looking figure none the less! I like how you managed o match the clothes.

ukshaun

ukshaun
BAMComix wrote:Not familiar with the film, but a great looking figure none the less! I like how you managed o match the clothes.

The movie is low budget and not for everyone. It is one of those movies i was disappointed in after the 1st watch through. Over time i found myself returning to it and being more and more fascinated by it.

Matching the cloth's was a challenge. I never thought for one minute i would find the pink top required. The shade of pink is spot on. The denim's fitting like they do, came down to luck Smile ..i am working on an update on the portrait. We'll see how that works out.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That movie seems interesting, not sure I would watch it. The figure inspired by it however looks good so far!

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 1f60e

ukshaun

ukshaun
Theboo-bomb wrote:That movie seems interesting, not sure I would watch it. The figure inspired by it however looks good so far!

Thanks..
I am currently painting another portrait to see how that works out (it will be less white).
I am also attempting to dye fake hair, which failed the first time around. I will give it another try.

teamweapon

ukshaun wrote:
BAMComix wrote:Not familiar with the film, but a great looking figure none the less! I like how you managed o match the clothes.

The movie is low budget and not for everyone. It is one of those movies i was disappointed in after the 1st watch through. Over time i found myself returning to it and being more and more fascinated by it.

Matching the cloth's was a challenge. I never thought for one minute i would find the pink top required. The shade of pink is spot on. The denim's fitting like they do, came down to luck Smile ..i am working on an update on the portrait. We'll see how that works out.

MAAATTTTEEEE thats ACE! it really looks like her in that film and what a film! probably my fave johansen movie i think? i agree it looks a bit white in the pics, but also imagine it looks slightly less so IRL? you certainly did a much better job of painting it than i would have, i am APPALING at fine detail painting. im ok at skirting boards and windows though haha.
great job on a fantastic character Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
You probably won’t be able to dye fake hair (synthetic, I’m assuming?), as it isn’t absorbent like real hair. You might be better off getting mohair and dying that — as long as the original color is naturally pale (or close to what you are going for), or try to find mohair in the color you want.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 C8485110

ukshaun

ukshaun
teamweapon wrote:
ukshaun wrote:

MAAATTTTEEEE thats ACE! it really looks like her in that film and what a film! probably my fave johansen movie i think? i agree it looks a bit white in the pics, but also imagine it looks slightly less so IRL? you certainly did a much better job of painting it than i would have, i am APPALING at fine detail painting. im ok at skirting boards and windows though haha.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My painting skills are amateur at best.

This is v2 of the portrait. It has had 2x layers off thinned white matte paint applied.
The black eye make-up and darker eye browse have yet to be added.
I did not want to go too white. Part of me think it looks white enough. Maybe i should go whiter?

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Portra10

Stryker2011 wrote:You probably won’t be able to dye fake hair (synthetic, I’m assuming?), as it isn’t absorbent like real hair. You might be better off getting mohair and dying that — as long as the original color is naturally pale (or close to what you are going for), or try to find mohair in the color you want.

I tried the acrylic paint (black mixed with brown) + rubbing alcohol method.
Most of it washed out Sad

On my 2nd attempt, i used extra rubbing alcohol. I am leaving it to dry as i type.
Next i will wash it to see how much  washes off and how much dyed the hair?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like the new face, and I wouldn’t go any whiter on it as it looks good enough already. Black hair like that would be really easy to get in mohair (seen it plenty of times on Etsy and eBay). As far as the eyeliner, one of the things that I’ve done with success is using a fine-tipped pen to add it, instead of trying to use a paint brush.

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 C8485110

teamweapon

ukshaun wrote:
teamweapon wrote:
ukshaun wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My painting skills are amateur at best.

This is v2 of the portrait. It has had 2x layers off thinned white matte paint applied.
The black eye make-up and darker eye browse have yet to be added.
I did not want to go too white. Part of me think it looks white enough. Maybe i should go whiter?

Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Portra10

Im not sure i would go whiter? but i guess thats for you to assess as you have the best view of what it will actually look like? after all its you who will be looking at her in a cabinet.
But i have to say hats off to you mate! im also guessing your not going to try a "defrocked" version of the character? hahaha Wink

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:I like the new face, and I wouldn’t go any whiter on it as it looks good enough already. Black hair like that would be really easy to get in mohair (seen it plenty of times on Etsy and eBay). As far as the eyeliner, one of the things that I’ve done with success is using a fine-tipped pen to add it, instead of trying to use a paint brush.

I will give the fine-tipped pen a try.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The matte paint application works much better. Don't go whiter! At least looking at the reference photo provided on my screen, the face is pale but not truly white -- it tends toward cream. At this point, it might be best to match with the body (if necessary) rather than the reference photo. But don't go whiter.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - (inspired by) 'The Female' from the movie Under The Skin (2013) - Page 2 Portrait-v2-06

My efforts using a fine-tipped pen. I guess it looks ok.
After i add applied the ink i had to go in with a tooth-pick to improve the situation, smudge where necessary etc.
I fear the ink rubbing off.

I placed an order for a can of Mr Topcoat Flat to spray over the portrait (masking out the eye's and mouth prior to spraying). It should fix the dried ink in place.

Mr Topcoat also means i just might go in and a slightly more thinned matte white paint, as it looks more patchy that i would like, and possible too pink (not that i want to go too white). She looks patchy in the movie also.

For those that are unaware, SJ plays the part of an alien attempting to act like an Earth female,
thus dressing and does her make-up the way she does, atleast that is my take on the character.
-

The portrait looked white in this shot, due to lighting.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Don't forget to do the eyeliner on the bottom of the eye as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum