OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:17 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
To the Glorious Guardians of Historical Accuracy, may I suggest bracing yourselves and having a strong cup of medicinal tea/stiff drink on hand.

My mission is to make a castle for general medieval, a bit of Tudor, Witcher/Kaer Morhen, Game of Thrones etc styling & backdrop (aka a bit of a mish-mash).  Of course, then a castle needs a floor, and then furniture, and a fire…..

Foolishly, I thought this would take me a couple of weeks during the Christmas holidays……

I’ve focussed on making use of craft materials I already had, to keep costs down.  Main ingredients are 10mm Foamboard, wood veneers and glues; including for the table and benches which I attempted in a Tudor style.  Walls are deeply scored foamboard, so not at the heights of Valiarde’s individually carved stone blocks!  Paints and matt varnish were the main purchase so far; my first use of Vallejo which have been a revelation, amazing stuff and the teeny model colour bottles really cover a lot.

WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project A34dfe10

Painted the exterior of the castle, the windows are privacy film (made to cling on glass but used here on its own), then decided to add some moss.  I’ve put some white paint as an undercoat to add some snow effects soon, and now thinking I might as well make a whole exterior diorama snow base.  Interior will need some furnishing & details too.  So there goes the “don’t spend $” intentions and it will take a whole lot longer yet…..  Lots of fun though!

WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Fe603410

2WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:48 am

m76

m76
Only when you start building something in 1/6 you realize that in order to be accurate it would need to be huge.

http://madblog.shacknet.us

3WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:08 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Nice, I love work in progress pics especially like your medieval theme here Smile

Yeah these things always get bigger than you expect. I like the floor and windows you put in.
The whole thing will make a nice backdrop for scenes of your figures.

Snowy outdoor and warm indoor is also a great idea for different setups

4WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:39 am

davidd

davidd
You're doing both the interior and the exterior? That's ambitious!
I like the moss in the crevices between the stones.
The gothic arch windows look great!

5WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:33 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
how cool does that look!

6WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:10 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty cool. I like the idea of the privacy film as windows. Nice table.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project C8485110

7WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, very well done. Love the privacy film for the windows, the mossy exterior, and that table steals the show.

8WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:30 am

Melancholic

Melancholic
I love seeing the diorama process. Never realized the thought and work put into one.

9WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:06 pm

Diana

Diana
Niiice! I can echo everything that has been said. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!

10WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:47 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
m76 wrote:Only when you start building something in 1/6 you realize that in order to be accurate it would need to be huge.

Yes…. The castle wall (and floor) is 30 x 50cm or so; I’m keeping it modular to help with storage options!

Valiarde wrote:Nice, I love work in progress pics especially like your medieval theme here Smile

Yeah these things always get bigger than you expect. I like the floor and windows you put in.
The whole thing will make a nice backdrop for scenes of your figures.

Snowy outdoor and warm indoor is also a great idea for different setups

Thank you, I will try and keep up some progress pictures along the way. The floor was a pain, very curly veneer which has taken a lot of wrangling Smile

davidd wrote:You're doing both the interior and the exterior? That's ambitious!
I like the moss in the crevices between the stones.
The gothic arch windows look great!

Thanks - um, yes. I do have a tendency to get a bit carried away with projects but determined to keep working on this one til it’s done!

BAMComix wrote:how cool does that look!

Thank you!

Stryker2011 wrote:Pretty cool. I like the idea of the privacy film as windows. Nice table.

Thanks - as I’d already cut the windows I had to find something that would fit the gap and this seemed to do a decent job.

GubernatorFan wrote:I agree, very well done. Love the privacy film for the windows, the mossy exterior, and that table steals the show.

Thank you - ah the table took a lot of patience. My partner pointed out that I could have just made it from wood in half the time…. Laughing

Melancholic wrote:I love seeing the diorama process.  Never realized the thought and work put into one.

Yes it started as a couple of backdrop walls, but seems to have ballooned……. It’s taken me years to have enough patience for layers and waiting for things to dry, that definitely helps!

Diana wrote:Niiice! I can echo everything that has been said. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!

Thank you, that helps to keep my momentum and patience going! Very Happy

11WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:59 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
This looks great. I'd love to make a 1:6 castle myself but don't have the space. I'm thinking about making a Western frontier log fort. If I make it from solid wood, I can store this outside.

12WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:14 pm

Spartan06

Spartan06
I like the castle and the furniture!  I agree with all the folks above and the table looks really great!  Can't wait to see your progress.

I've come to the realization that doing anything in 1/6 is quite a project.  I'm planning a shoot house diorama inspired by the set I just missed out on, so I pulled up a bunch of pics on the internet and drew my own plans.  The first two plans I had drawn up were 22" wide x 20" deep and 18" wide x 24" deep - pretty good-sized dioramas until I realized the dimensions were for 1/12 scale not 1/6 scale.

Geez - 44" wide and 40" deep plus a skirt around the outside, not to mention 16" to 20" tall per floor!  Where am I going to put something that big? Rolling Eyes

Well, I guess a couple of the shooting rooms are going to become closets (or imaginary).

Good luck with your project!

13WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:33 am

Melancholic

Melancholic
Sounds big enough for you to just sell you house and move into the diorama. Problem solved!

14WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:51 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Melancholic wrote:Sounds big enough for you to just sell you house and move into the diorama.  Problem solved!

This made me chuckle. It does sound like a reasonable plan.

WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project C8485110

15WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:05 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
shazzdan wrote:This looks great. I'd love to make a 1:6 castle myself but don't have the space. I'm thinking about making a Western frontier log fort. If I make it from solid wood, I can store this outside.

Spartan06 wrote:I like the castle and the furniture!  I agree with all the folks above and the table looks really great!  Can't wait to see your progress.

I've come to the realization that doing anything in 1/6 is quite a project.  I'm planning a shoot house diorama inspired by the set I just missed out on, so I pulled up a bunch of pics on the internet and drew my own plans.  The first two plans I had drawn up were 22" wide x 20" deep and 18" wide x 24" deep - pretty good-sized dioramas until I realized the dimensions were for 1/12 scale not 1/6 scale.

Geez - 44" wide and 40" deep plus a skirt around the outside, not to mention 16" to 20" tall per floor!  Where am I going to put something that big? Rolling Eyes

Well, I guess a couple of the shooting rooms are going to become closets (or imaginary).

Good luck with your project!

Melancholic wrote:Sounds big enough for you to just sell you house and move into the diorama.  Problem solved!

Stryker2011 wrote:

This made me chuckle. It does sound like a reasonable plan.

Now I’m waiting to see pictures of these real estate gems!

16WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:14 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Determined to keep some castle progress going: making icicles with the water effects turned out pretty good. I’ve added them on the external windows with snow over the top. Meanwhile furnishing efforts with a wall tapestry. It came as a flat piece of canvas but I wanted to mount it for hanging so it’s sewn on to silk, made some tassels and edged it a bit. Trusty bamboo skewers to the rescue for the hanger, and I had some old dollhouse wall hooks which make a perfect mount on the wall.

WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project 159a2110

17WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Excellent work! The icicles looks superb, as does the canvas hanging. Really impressive stuff. thanks for sharing.

18WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:20 am

davidd

davidd
Wow! The snow effect, and the ice-coated window, is giving me chills just looking at it! Impressive work!

19WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:53 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Wow! That snow effect is really cool. The tapestry looks nice, and your efforts to “hang” it paid off. Nice progress.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project 1f10

20WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:29 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree with earlier comments -- both the icicles and the tapestry turned out beautifully.

21WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Empty Re: WIP - Medieval Castle 1:6 project Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:48 am

Diana

Diana
Another "wow" from me! Those icicles are particularly impressive! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum