OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH™ ANAKIN SKYWALKER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I realize it's probably still the same prototype but it just looks so good.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Moonbase Alpha Male

skywalkersaga wrote:
Zurdoz wrote:This looks phenomenal! Probably one of their most realistic looking pieces ever! A big bummer it’s going to be in limited quantities. It’d be great if they offered a regular release, or a make to order time window, but alas..

It would be a huge travesty if they never make use of this particular sculpt again. You would think that Hot Toys who likes to re-use sculpts would at least consider a regular (sculpted hair) version at some point...

"Highly limited" is a feature, not a bug.  It seems highly unlikely to me that they would ever re-use the headsculpt for anything except maybe a similar level DX Artisan 2.0 at the same price and degree of complexity.  This wouldn't be some straightforward transaction like eg releasing a regular figure two pack and then reusing the sculpt for a solo version.  Big fuss is being made (somewhat deservedly) for "DX Artisan" as the new Hot Toys flagship premium level, the new standard by which all others are measured - limited availability built in as part of the cachet.  Wouldn't make any sense to confuse it by releasing subsequent "Gold, silver and bronze" downgraded versions, or to reuse some of the components.  Sales of a few more regular figs wouldn't be anywhere worth the depreciation or diluting of the DX Artisan brand.  So if you like it and you can afford this I wouldn't hold out for some future variation.  For all the same reasons this will be the immediate target of unauthorized Recasts but that's a different conversation.

skywalkersaga

Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:
Zurdoz wrote:This looks phenomenal! Probably one of their most realistic looking pieces ever! A big bummer it’s going to be in limited quantities. It’d be great if they offered a regular release, or a make to order time window, but alas..

It would be a huge travesty if they never make use of this particular sculpt again. You would think that Hot Toys who likes to re-use sculpts would at least consider a regular (sculpted hair) version at some point...

"Highly limited" is a feature, not a bug.  It seems highly unlikely to me that they would ever re-use the headsculpt for anything except maybe a similar level DX Artisan 2.0 at the same price and degree of complexity.  This wouldn't be some straightforward transaction like eg releasing a regular figure two pack and then reusing the sculpt for a solo version.  Big fuss is being made (somewhat deservedly) for "DX Artisan" as the new Hot Toys flagship premium level, the new standard by which all others are measured - limited availability built in as part of the cachet.  Wouldn't make any sense to confuse it by releasing subsequent "Gold, silver and bronze" downgraded versions, or to reuse some of the components.  Sales of a few more regular figs wouldn't be anywhere worth the depreciation or diluting of the DX Artisan brand.  So if you like it and you can afford this I wouldn't hold out for some future variation.  For all the same reasons this will be the immediate target of unauthorized Recasts but that's a different conversation.

I think you're misunderstanding my reason for commenting about that. I have no wish to 'hold out' for a different version. I want this version and would pay through the nose for it! For once I can actually afford it, as well, thanks to my new job. But my fear is that I will MISS OUT *because* it is indeed so limited. The price is not the issue, I would happily pay £1,000+ for an Anakin figure this accurate. Been waiting years for one. But since the preordering is going to be done via some kind of queue system, it seems like it's only the luck of the draw that would actually secure it for me rather than my willpower in this case. Which is really upsetting and frustrating to me. Anakin is the whole reason I'm into collecting in the first place, and I've purchased every Anakin related figure from HT since they started doing Star Wars figures. So, I find it really unfair to think that I could end up 'blocked' from owning this, the best Anakin by far, simply due to not being 'lucky' enough.

Is that 'just the way it is'? Sure, I guess. But I don't have to be happy about it!!!

Valiarde

I can understand the points from sky - I also really dislike this lottery style system. I wish they would do it like InArt and make a three day preorder window and everyone who want one can get one then.

Imagine you own a company and stop selling expensive stuff that would go like hot cakes because you just cap it and say: No, just limited number. I really don't think the limited number is what makes this sooo much more valuable for collectors.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:I can understand the points from sky - I also really dislike this lottery style system. I wish they would do it like InArt and make a three day preorder window and everyone who want one can get one then.

Imagine you own a company and stop selling expensive stuff that would go like hot cakes because you just cap it and say: No, just limited number. I really don't think the limited number is what makes this sooo much more valuable for collectors.

Agree with you.

I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but I can't really fully explain how devastated I will be to miss out on it. And I'm already expecting I won't be able to get it...how could I? There seems very little chance to secure one. And that makes me so crestfallen that I feel like I might as well give up on collecting. Why even try if it's impossible to have the best figure of my favourite character?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Valiarde

Valiarde
skywalkersaga wrote:
Valiarde wrote:I can understand the points from sky - I also really dislike this lottery style system. I wish they would do it like InArt and make a three day preorder window and everyone who want one can get one then.

Agree with you.

I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but I can't really fully explain how devastated I will be to miss out on it. And I'm already expecting I won't be able to get it...how could I? There seems very little chance to secure one. And that makes me so crestfallen that I feel like I might as well give up on collecting. Why even try if it's impossible to have the best figure of my favourite character?

There will be so many expensive figures released next few years from InaRt and Hot Toys, fans have to decide on what to buy. Maybe this is a slight chance there will be Anakins available. And if you would really spend $1000 on this one, I bet you can fetch some on ebay down the line for sure (even if scalpers are the worst).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:

Agree with you.

There will be so many expensive figures released next few years from InaRt and Hot Toys, fans have to decide on what to buy. Maybe this is a slight chance there will be Anakins available. And if you would really spend $1000 on this one, I bet you can fetch some on ebay down the line for sure (even if scalpers are the worst).

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I would spend a lot to buy it on ebay later on if I could not get it from Hot Toys.

It's not my usual practice (I do normally prefer to PO the HT figures I want), but I would make an exception in this case. But I would rather not have to deal with the stress of it. Would be so much better to just be able to PO it like normal and not have to worry about it. :/

Valiarde

Valiarde
Despite what MBA thinks, I bet we will see a non-artisan release later on with sculpted hair and same head as a normal release...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:Despite what MBA thinks, I bet we will see a non-artisan release later on with sculpted hair and same head as a normal release...

I hope so. I will do my best to try to acquire this one, but hoping for something like that down the road in case I miss out.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Yeah, I don’t agree with the “limited makes it valuable”. I get that used to be a thing in the past, but at least InArt, who are charging premium prices, offer their items for sale (granted there is a “order by” date, or miss out), but it isn’t the kind of crap Howard Chan is pulling with this “eBay-style-bidding-war” listings. Anyone, and everyone, who ordered in the PO window for InArt is going to get their item — this sort of thing with HT is just disgusting

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH™ ANAKIN SKYWALKER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, the InArt way of doing it seems much more fair. If you miss out on that, it's probably due to a lack of interest or funds, rather than simply not being quick or lucky enough.

Maybe InArt will do their own Anakin figure at some point. Razz (Hard to beat this particular sculpt though....sigh... )

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
skywalkersaga wrote:I think you're misunderstanding my reason for commenting about that. I have no wish to 'hold out' for a different version. I want this version and would pay through the nose for it! For once I can actually afford it, as well, thanks to my new job. But my fear is that I will MISS OUT *because* it is indeed so limited. The price is not the issue, I would happily pay £1,000+ for an Anakin figure this accurate. Been waiting years for one. But since the preordering is going to be done via some kind of queue system, it seems like it's only the luck of the draw that would actually secure it for me rather than my willpower in this case. Which is really upsetting and frustrating to me. Anakin is the whole reason I'm into collecting in the first place, and I've purchased every Anakin related figure from HT since they started doing Star Wars figures. So, I find it really unfair to think that I could end up 'blocked' from owning this, the best Anakin by far, simply due to not being 'lucky' enough.

Is that 'just the way it is'? Sure, I guess. But I don't have to be happy about it!!!

My apologies if I pushed a button or triggered a sensitivity. I totally understand your position and totally I am sympathetic to it, having shared similar frustration with "collectible" items that are made artificially scarce.  I simply meant to disabuse the hope or notion that not necessarily you, but many others have expressed, assuming or hoping that this excellent sculpt might have a second or a third life of regular reuse -- because I don't think that's what the business concept of DX Artisan is going to be.  We have seen it before when companies attempt a "higher level super premium" line, like DX Artisan, or when Asmus did the Crown Series Gandalf.  The isolated one or two figures probably do well enough, but the spark doesn't catch fire, and buyers aren't sold on a new standard or a sustained upper level line up.  In this case I think that HT marketing wants deliberately to create or feed upon that frustration you are feeling, rather than trying to find any alternative to resolve it.  Remember HT is fundamentally a Sith run company Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
MBAM - it's not you I'm frustrated with, so no worries. I'm just expressing how dismayed I am that loyal and dedicated fans such as myself are being teased in this unfair manner. I know nothing of how Hot Toys is run behind the scenes, I am merely a die-hard Anakin fangirl who only deigned to even start collecting from HT in the first place solely because I love this character (and his fictional associates) that much. But I can certainly believe your assessment. ;p

Zurdoz

Zurdoz
skywalkersaga wrote:

Agreed, similar to the new TDK Joker a sculpted hair version should have been offered too. Hopefully, perhaps sometime in the future they’ll release a sculpted hair figure; I’d like to think they won’t simply develop this new head sculpt/figure and not reuse it for a more widespread release.

Valiarde wrote:[…] I bet we will see a non-artisan release later on with sculpted hair and same head as a normal release...

Here’s to hoping!

skywalkersaga wrote:

I hope so. I will do my best to try to acquire this one, but hoping for something like that down the road in case I miss out.

Aww, man, I genuinely hope you are able to acquire one!

I initially was really bummed when the exclusive WW 100 was put up on SS and was having difficulty checking out and it sold out in minutes, so I imagine a fair number of collectors feel disappointed these ultra higher quality figures are so limited and hard to get.

Valiarde wrote:Some pics from the exhibition

Lookinggg good!!!

doodlehobby

I've been through all sorts of PO hell and I know it's a horrible feeling missing out on PO item you have your heart set on. Worst one being Bandai... 3am 3-4 etailers loaded up and F5 mashing just to get the add cart button and hoping to get through checkout process without being cart jacked. And you have to do this all within 5-10 minutes all or nothing thing. Because past that window you can forget about it.

I wish more companies open PO windows (like the current Maxfactory 1/6 Guyver figure for example). Gives those that want it an opportunity to get it without the stress and have satisfaction and enjoyment that they'll have it when released.

This actually looks great... But not really my interest. I do hope you'll be able to secure one Sky.

Valiarde

Valiarde
NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH™ ANAKIN SKYWALKER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 Screen12

That will fix all problems Razz

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Well, that’s 100 more chances Sky can get one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH™ ANAKIN SKYWALKER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2012 wrote:Well, that’s 100 more chances Sky can get one.

LOL! That will solve it! Laughing

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
skywalkersaga wrote:
Stryker2012 wrote:Well, that’s 100 more chances Sky can get one.

LOL! That will solve it! Laughing

Adding 100 units, and just 100, so they can say it's "due to overwhelming response," strikes me unlikely to be any kind of genuine unexpected "course correction," and way more likely to be a step built into the marketing plan from the beginning to stir up excitement and capture one more press release.  Like I said, HT is fundamentally a Sith run company Smile    

Here's me too hoping it works out with Skywalkersaga on the right side result.  If I can't have one myself I hope to get a contact high from Skywalkersaga pictures.

Diana

Diana
I honestly can't believe they would not use that sculpt again. But maybe with the way they've been dishing out figures with sculpted hair the rooted hair is becoming a premium feature (rather than the sculpt itself).

I'm on the waitlist. Maybe they'll add another 100 now. Laughing

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Diana wrote:I honestly can't believe they would not use that sculpt again. But maybe with the way they've been dishing out figures with sculpted hair the rooted hair is becoming a premium feature (rather than the sculpt itself).

What do you mean, waitlist? Did they already do the queue and I missed it? I was supposed to get an email notification or so I thought...

Diana

Diana
skywalkersaga wrote:
Diana wrote:I honestly can't believe they would not use that sculpt again. But maybe with the way they've been dishing out figures with sculpted hair the rooted hair is becoming a premium feature (rather than the sculpt itself).

What do you mean, waitlist? Did they already do the queue and I missed it? I was supposed to get an email notification or so I thought...

Sorry, I thought that's what the RSVP thing is. So probably not then. What a Face

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
No the RSVP is just a notification thru email that you need to go to the site and order. So, if you’re not monitoring your email constantly, you’re screwed.

csyeung

csyeung
I heard these are being heavily scalped in hong kong so the price will be quite a lot second hand.

Sky, I think the best way to try to get this is know when Sideshow plans to drop it and log in like 20-30 mins before it drops on sideshow. Do not wait for the email, as it's probably too late at that point. (I usually get those emails as the exclusives are already sold out). Logging in early also gives you time to get through their queue system and you are ready to hit that purchase button right away. After that just keep trying to check out until it takes. Make sure your payment info and stuff is up to date as well. Other than that, good luck! I'll be sending you some lucky vibes!

As for a sculpted version, I would say they make one in the future. Anakin sells well and I don't think it'd cost hot toys much to repackage product with an added sculpt at a lower cost. I'm sure the limited numbers is due to the hairing process and how many they can get out in a timely fashion. It sucks for the collectors for sure. I wish they had a better system so that all those who wanted it can actually get it, even with the caveat that it may take longer to release.

PS I would not be surprised if they dropped it during the fandom event in a couple weeks. (Aug16-18)

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
csyeung wrote:I heard these are being heavily scalped in hong kong so the price will be quite a lot second hand.

Sky, I think the best way to try to get this is know when Sideshow plans to drop it and log in like 20-30 mins before it drops on sideshow. Do not wait for the email, as it's probably too late at that point. (I usually get those emails as the exclusives are already sold out). Logging in early also gives you time to get through their queue system and you are ready to hit that purchase button right away. After that just keep trying to check out until it takes. Make sure your payment info and stuff is up to date as well. Other than that, good luck! I'll be sending you some lucky vibes!

As for a sculpted version, I would say they make one in the future. Anakin sells well and I don't think it'd cost hot toys much to repackage product with an added sculpt at a lower cost. I'm sure the limited numbers is due to the hairing process and how many they can get out in a timely fashion. It sucks for the collectors for sure. I wish they had a better system so that all those who wanted it can actually get it, even with the caveat that it may take longer to release.

PS I would not be surprised if they dropped it during the fandom event in a couple weeks. (Aug16-18)

Thanks for the tips! Smile  Especially the hint about the upcoming event -- I purposefully try to stay away from all current Star Wars promotional stuff because my distaste for the Disney side of things means it's just better for my sanity. But it does also mean tend to miss certain 'important' happenings.

I was not sure how the Sideshow RSVP notification would work in this particular instance, but presumed it was best to keep checking their website directly. But if I had the knowledge of the exact date and time when this will become available, I'd be doing exactly as you have suggested above. Hopefully there will be some prior confirmation of when this will happen, otherwise, yes, I'll be screwed, lol.

Re: the scalper prices -- eep, yeah, I can imagine those will be steep. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. pale

And I do agree that there *is* at least some chance of a sculpted version somewhere down the line. Simply due to the character's current popularity, if nothing else. The question is whether the faint hope of one materialising eventually will be enough to placate me if/when I miss on this Artisan version, sigh...

Speaking of which, the fact that Anakin is now such a popular character is oddly a bit of a double-edged sword for me. I don't mean to sound like a hipster 'I was here before it was cool', but..... I kinda was.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH™ ANAKIN SKYWALKER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f605  I've been a die-hard Anakin fan for 20+ years, so if I sound resentful of the idea of 'missing out' on something like this due to the increase in popularity, that's why. I'm like, back off everyone, he's MINE. Razz

csyeung

csyeung
oh if you register for the fandom event, you get 5 bucks in rewards instantly. I know it's not much but well it's something at least heh. I'll try to post here if I get any info that can help you out. It is interesting that anakin is getting more hype these days than when the movies came out. I'm more an OT fan as that's what I grew up with and remember being hyped for the prequels but they fell flat at the time but is now gaining a resurgence. So weird i remember when I got into the hobby in 2018, the star wars fandom was at a low. People were selling their star wars figures for cheap! Now many of them have skyrocketed.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
csyeung wrote:oh if you register for the fandom event, you get 5 bucks in rewards instantly. I know it's not much but  well it's something at least heh. I'll try to post here if I get any info that can help you out. It is interesting that anakin is getting more hype these days than when the movies came out. I'm more an OT fan as that's what I grew up with and remember being hyped for the prequels but they fell flat at the time but is now gaining a resurgence. So weird i remember when I got into the hobby in 2018, the star wars fandom was at a low. People were selling their star wars figures for cheap! Now many of them have skyrocketed.

Oh....where does one register for said fandom event?? Is that on Sideshow website? I had no idea... O.o

And yeah, of course, the OT is always incomparable. I grew up with the OT and it is an intrinsic part of my childhood nostalgia. But when TPM came out, I was a young teen and I unironically loved it! And I was in high school when AotC was released, and I even had posters of Anakin and Padme hanging in my room.  NEW PRODUCT: HOT TOYS: STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH™ ANAKIN SKYWALKER™ 1/6TH SCALE COLLECTIBLE FIGURE - Page 2 1f605 So while the Prequels may have been much maligned by older fans on the internet, I had them ingrained into my psyche from early on. I love you  

I think the shift in the wider fan attitude toward Anakin actually started very gradually with The Clone Wars (2008-2013) animated series, but that was moreso happening in the smaller niche demographic that actually watched that series at the time, rather than amongst the mainstream general audiences. Once Disney came onto the scene, TCW was cancelled before it was fully completed, and Disney wanted to do Rebels instead. Ironically, though, Rebels actually lead more people back to TCW in order to find out the backstory. In the meantime, the Sequel films had come out and total newbie fans were getting introduced to the OT and PT through those. Sometime in 2017, two things of note happened that mark the 'sea change': 1) the r/prequelsmemes subreddit was formed, which meant that the Prequels had sort of more 'fondly' entered the mainstream consciousness, and 2) Hayden Christensen received a standing ovation during his appearance at the SW celebration that year, which likewise signified an overall warming in attitude towards Prequels' Anakin.

I'm guessing the reason many fans were, however, feeling 'done' with Star Wars only a brief time later in 2018,  was because of the disappointment over the (fake) Disney Sequels. (I personally hated TFA so much I never bothered with watching the rest of those, but I was well aware of the shift in fan attitudes at the time).  But then over the following years there were subsequent Disney SW tv series that came out (including the 'final season' of the Clone Wars), which eventually meant once again more attention being paid to the Prequels-era of the Star Wars universe.

To be clear, I don't begrudge new fans for how they might have come to this story, and I'm always happy when other people are able to finally see what I have seen in the Prequels-era and its characters all along. So, this HT figure is on the one hand very welcome addition, since HT really didn't get the likeness right with the previous Anakins, but at the same time I can't help but be frustrated that it's so exclusive, as it actually feels like such a cruel tease. On certain fandom sites, I've even seen some newer fans who aren't familiar with collecting who are saying they want this figure, but they probably have no clue there are only 3,000 pieces being made, and will thus be sorely disappointed when it disappears in seconds. So for everyone's sake, I do hope for a less limited (sculpted hair) version eventually. Hayden's Anakin deserves to have an accurate likeness in 1/6 scale that is more widely accessible. : )

Valiarde

Valiarde
Will be available on Sideshow this Friday, 9 a.m. PT

Which means 6 p.m. CET or 5 p.m. UTC for those interested from Europe. Hope the server won't crash Very Happy

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:Will be available on Sideshow this Friday, 9 a.m. PT

Which means 6 p.m. CET or 5 p.m. UTC for those interested from Europe. Hope the server won't crash Very Happy

Wait....THIS Friday? It says 'August 18th' ....isn't that a week FROM this Friday?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum