OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just kitbash things

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Just kitbash things Empty Just kitbash things Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:27 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Since these works in progress don't fit my photography thread, I might as well open a seperate thread for it. Inspired by Ovy getting an airbrush I also ordered one over a year ago. As things are, it was laying in the corner way too long.  Smile

After some testing with it on diorama parts, I tried my hands on head sculpts two weeks ago. I had collected like ten unpainted heads - best requierments to test the airbrush. What can go wrong? At worst, I can remove the paint again. So far I'm quiet satisfied with the skin colors but still have problems with painting eyes, reducing the overall impression of the custom heads. But there is only practice practice and practice... Smile

So let's start with somethiing easier, a prepainted head which I wanted to "improve" for my needs. It was too clean and white for a medieval maiden.
The freckles were more of a happy accident though and I don't know how to reproduce it yet with the airbrush lol  Smile

YMtoys head with a bit of red cheeks, nose and forehead as well as the freckles and coloring around the eyes. Don't know what to do with the hair, as it might not fit the rest of the "weathered" figure.
I'm sorry to not have a before pic at hand.

Just kitbash things TDgn45ah

Just kitbash things ZS95gJDh

smartphonoe pic. The real in hand color is hard to catch, as every light makes a difference on the color shades
Just kitbash things VLYp4Zbh

How do you like it, what would you change? Black around the eyes too much?

2Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:40 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Well, I think it looks very good, especially considering you're trying a new technique. As for whether there is too much black, who knows? Though perhaps this is a modern actress playing a medieval maiden and accentuating her eyes with smokey make up? Smile Either way, it is beautiful.

3Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:47 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
That’s pretty impressive. Maybe, just MAYBe, there’s a bit too much black around the eyes, but it’s not terrible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Just kitbash things 1f10

4Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:52 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Wow she looks great - personally I’m a fan of the blackened eyes, very atmospheric.
Having just done my first face painting over this last week, I appreciate the bravery of starting this process! You have got a very realistic skin tone going there, with great airbrush work and a nice fade on the black eyes. I’m also nervous of attempting to repaint the eyes/iris; I’ve done around the eyes and mouth (only hand brush) but now rather afraid of messing it up……. Look forward to seeking your progress!

5Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:29 pm

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Very nice work, Simon! I like the smokey eyes on her, as they somewhat fit the look of the figure. I get some Cinderella/Aschenputtel vibes from her...

6Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:22 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
She looks fantastic! I really like her.

7Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:44 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
She looks weary and tired, definitely needs either a prince or a vacation. Great job on the accidental freckles too.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Just kitbash things 1f60e

8Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:39 pm

Diana

Diana
She's gorgeous! This is one of my favourite heads still. YMT016C?

Love your touch ups! Is it too much black? Depends on what you're going for! She looks like she's been wearing that smoky eye makeup for a day or two. Or she's been out in the rain with in. Though that in-hand pic looks more subtle, like maybe she's going for a particular look and hasn't quite figured it out yet. My first attempts at smoky eyes may have looked similar. ^^

But I like it! She sure doesn't look like a simple maiden though. More like a girl of pleasures or a witch in training. The Daughter of the Crow. Raven Child. Blessed or cursed? Very Happy

9Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:59 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
GubernatorFan wrote:Well, I think it looks very good, especially considering you're trying a new technique. As for whether there is too much black, who knows? Though perhaps this is a modern actress playing a medieval maiden and accentuating her eyes with smokey make up? Smile Either way, it is beautiful.
Thank you, will do further experimenting

Stryker2012 wrote:That’s pretty impressive. Maybe, just MAYBe, there’s a bit too much black around the eyes, but it’s not terrible.
Yeah I can see it might be a bit too much for a normal maiden. Thanks for the opinion  Smile

Tanzenwolfe wrote:Wow she looks great - personally I’m a fan of the blackened eyes, very atmospheric.
Having just done my first face painting over this last week, I appreciate the bravery of starting this process!  You have got a very realistic skin tone going there, with great airbrush work and a nice fade on the black eyes.  I’m also nervous of attempting to repaint the eyes/iris; I’ve done around the eyes and mouth (only hand brush) but now rather afraid of messing it up……. Look forward to seeking your progress!

Yeah the fading black was done by trying to thin out the black color with some water/isopropyl alcohol mix. Was just a try and I was lucky to not rub away the skin tone beneath.

Randam Hajile wrote:Very nice work, Simon! I like the smokey eyes on her, as they somewhat fit the look of the figure. I get some Cinderella/Aschenputtel vibes from her...
Yeah definately some Aschenputtel vibes here. Someone also called her Molly Malone Smile

BAMComix wrote:She looks fantastic! I really like her.
Thank you!
Theboo-bomb wrote:She looks weary and tired, definitely needs either a prince or a vacation. Great job on the accidental freckles too.
Thank you very much!
Diana wrote:She's gorgeous! This is one of my favourite heads still. YMT016C?

Love your touch ups! Is it too much black? Depends on what you're going for! She looks like she's been wearing that smoky eye makeup for a day or two. Or she's been out in the rain with in. Though that in-hand pic looks more subtle, like maybe she's going for a particular look and hasn't quite figured it out yet. My first attempts at smoky eyes may have looked similar. ^^

But I like it! She sure doesn't look like a simple maiden though. More like a girl of pleasures or a witch in training. The Daughter of the Crow. Raven Child. Blessed or cursed? Very Happy
I think it was the YMT026 but not entirely sure, have to look it up later.
Yeah probably depends on the setting - someone thought the head might be very good for a Shani custom from Witcher (but she doesn't have such smoky eyes)

I think you are right, she might be more than just a maiden. I like your thoughts here - definately some cool ideas!! Thank you for your comment, highly appreciated.  Smile

Here is another head I just needed to get. He looks like he has so much fun. Real character head (even outside the basketball court Razz ).

Just kitbash things OrobMOAh

Just kitbash things 2BM29t0h

10Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:33 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
Cool new figure!

11Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:32 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, excellent head sculpt. And I love the resulting kitbashed character. Perhaps not the first thing that might have come to my mind, but a welcome surprise and a flawless visual.

12Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:03 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Well tbh this is in the kitbash thread because I show self made stuff in here. So yeah i painted the head and the hand. The figure itself is more of a mockup for now. A bit too simple to just change the head and call it a new "kitbsh" figure, bit overall it is growing on me.

Would you guys go for another haircut or trying to make a rooted beared? Thinking about more improvements or changes...

13Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:12 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think kitbashing applies to putting together things through any sort of combination or customization of existing pieces. The mold is so fine, I don't know if it needs changing to real hair or beard.

14Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:31 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Yeah while iam a big fan of real hair, i dont know if you need it for everything.

15Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:07 am

Diana

Diana
Holy cow this guys looks fabulous! Very Happy 
Nope, don't think he needs real hair. The sculpt looks fantastic.

16Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:14 pm

Visisonor

Visisonor
Valiarde wrote:Black around the eyes too much?
My interpretation is that she looks exhausted from overwork.
Maybe she stayed up staring at computer screen for a whole night Smile

17Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:53 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Pretty cool. He looks like a complete madman. Love it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just kitbash things 1f10

18Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:18 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Just kitbash things 20231112
Just kitbash things 20231113
Just kitbash things 20231114

Got some new heads. I can highly recommend the last one, it was just around 15 bucks on ebay, but the details are awesome! (Some of you might want to remove the neck to make it more moveable)

Will post updates soon. Painting first and someday doing the rooting.

And i reworked this lady head. Turned out...different Laughing

Just kitbash things Ipw5bn10

19Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautiful heads, I look forward to seeing what you do with them. Resin, right?
Is he laughing at her? That's uncalled for.

20Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:40 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
The female head looks like a bootleg Angelina Jolie, but I like your finished painted sculpt with hair. She looks awesome. And cool outfit.

Just kitbash things 1f10

21Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:45 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Stryker2012 wrote:The female head looks like a bootleg Angelina Jolie, but I like your finished painted sculpt with hair. She looks awesome. And cool outfit.

Yeah it is Angelina. Here is the head after todays work:

Just kitbash things 20231118

The blackened one is my bootleg unpainted wonder woman head which i didnt like after the first paint round so I troed sth experimental with it.

Just kitbash things 20231119
Just kitbash things 20231120

22Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:59 pm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Those heads look fantastic with your paint job, nicely done!

23Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:24 am

Visisonor

Visisonor
It may be due to makeup but I saw Cate Blanchett in her rather than Gal Gadot.
Looks cool anyway.

24Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:24 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh wow, all of these are looking incredible. You already have an amazing 'style' for your completed figures, and you are also now establishing a recognisable aesthetic for your painted heads, and it's very appealing.

Just wondering, can you link me to that listing of the completely bald Angelina head? It could be useful to my future projects....

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

25Just kitbash things Empty Re: Just kitbash things Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:39 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Visisonor wrote:It may be due to makeup but I saw Cate Blanchett in her rather than Gal Gadot.
Looks cool anyway.

I'm pretty happy if the original sculpt isn't isntantly recognisable in this case, as I normally want more "random" persons for my figures than real actor faces. Thanks

skywalkersaga wrote:Oh wow, all of these are looking incredible. You already have an amazing 'style' for your completed figures, and you are also now establishing a recognisable aesthetic for your painted heads, and it's very appealing.

Just wondering, can you link me to that listing of the completely bald Angelina head? It could be useful to my future projects....

Thanks sky  Embarassed Here you go: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145354287741?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20231107084023%26meid%3Dcee9302ad9e042ec85e3f84cc938f39d%26pid%3D101875%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D155822229151%26itm%3D145354287741%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V2V4ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecallWithVMEV3CPCAuto%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4429486.c101875.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A145354287741cee9302ad9e042ec85e3f84cc938f39d%7Cenc%3AAQAIAAABYObhgc4Nk8%252BdtAwOww4FKLaj%252FQ5qqgDlQCuqZA43WcPFUWDERCUugbbOk7XQv0JXlBfqCg2xKF3WcPghxGMFw2oSlXvfExEaMYr7I7LmrHcP6czY1wIMt0ORyKiCWt95xldincyyBx3g%252BNDW%252B%252FhWUgTaBhK6xAm%252BJIbCOMehu%252Bdwgbdon1cRbap5gFDbBIhHxYJYfGkRnCVjPAvVFQD24Z79Z2G1KOuOK8b%252BxOLWBDmtWVg3OrPavV%252FD6%252FBiS7uwKCLYkpUnPhAT6%252BXuHBkTTWHjL235Ly7BLMXqgvqshJ98u%252F6H7u%252BgB1q40wIGDUWMLZmo%252BAZB%252BqexPGtukmS%252B77cAGnZxxetFW8W4SrxVGdsC1wQ%252F2xl4X5Y1avnE%252Bb2xCiC%252FtzXHyTxH8Db7M858cAFApjF2RzVKlRpJM%252B6pBqKhJvSBkXNrtUJYUwS5TWYq%252FSgB38N4mFDLFH9urVA8w3s%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A4429486 

There should be a few sellers for this one. This one was the least expensive AJ head and I've ordered from that seller before. Will be interested to see what you will be doing with her  Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum