OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Tue 31 Oct 2023 - 16:01

LaMarquise

LaMarquise
Hello guys Very Happy

Freshly finished today, allow me to introduce this tribute to a beautiful chinese movie: House of Flying Daggers by Zhang Yimou, starring Zhang Ziyi as Mei. The story takes place during the Tang dynasty ( VII-X century) in 859. The hanfu is easily the most recognizable costume of this era:

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img44

As you may observe, the water sleeve dance is characterized by these long sleeves remiscient of flowing water. Since the Zhou dynasty ( one millenium BC) this dance has been practiced by skillful chinese dancers.  

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img45
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img46
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img47
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img48
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img49

Everything is handmade, excepting the facial sculpt. The body is a WorldBox female AT203 body in light suntan.

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img50
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img51

The hanfu was handsewn without a sewing machine, of course the patterns were also created especially for her. The thought of wiring up the sleeves crossed my mind, but considering the gentleness and slow dance in the movie for this scene, letting the fabric naturally fall would fit better.
Fabrics: satin, cotton, lycra, spandex.

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img52
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img53
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img54

The hair and headpiece were modeled in fimo clay, however pearls were added for the jewelry. The headsculpt was handpainted in acrylics, brushwork only. Skintone wise, light suntan is quite strange to look at irl. At first, I thought I might struggle a bit to replicate the skin of the body, but it was an unecessary fear. The result is pretty good once achieved I believe.

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img55
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img56
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img57

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img58
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img59
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img60

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Img_2050

All clothing is removable at will. Usually I work with snap pressure buttons, or embroidery threads when required. The loose pants were also sewn, but alas I'm not the kind that enjoys lifting up women's pettycoats  lol!

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fb_img61

Making-off:

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Img-2022
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 20231014
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Img-2023
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Img-2024
Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Img-2025

The particular scene that inspired me to do this figure:

https://youtu.be/paQWp82kgNI?si=WQQF8PiAZkN8-1ev

Anticipating the next exhibitions, I'll craft her a base and also a pair of shoes in the future. Looking forward to your opinions !

Thank you for reading this post  flower

2Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Tue 31 Oct 2023 - 16:28

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done, Marquise, and most impressive. Wiring or on-wiring is a tough choice, but I think you made the right call, and certainly achieved beautiful poses with it. The only thing that makes me wonder is that the head sculpt looks quite mature (which is actually a good thing in this hobby), and one usually thinks of dancing girls as rather young.

3Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Tue 31 Oct 2023 - 16:40

Valiarde

Valiarde
Yeah impressive work and very beautiful. I like that you also show the making of pics, I always find those very interesting!  Smile

And yeah, her costume reminds me on falling and dancing water

4Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 1:31

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Wow! That is impressive work and very beautiful. The posing of the figure and the clothing is exceptional. You would never know that you sewed this all by hand. Gorgeous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 1f10

5Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 3:20

BAMComix

BAMComix
Extremely elegant figure, top class painting, and simply wonderful positioning on the dancing pics!

6Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 3:28

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stunning work on all aspects. Beautifully painted and sewn, with excellent choice of materials. And gorgeous results. Very nice homage to a classic film!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 9:18

r3500vdp

The craftsmanship on that dress is just superb, so are the photos.

8Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 9:40

Diana

Diana
Wow! She looks absolutely gorgeous!! What a beautiful theme to pick and great craftsmanship on all accounts. Well done!

9Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 11:28

LaMarquise

LaMarquise
GubernatorFan wrote:Beautifully done, Marquise, and most impressive. Wiring or on-wiring is a tough choice, but I think you made the right call, and certainly achieved beautiful poses with it. The only thing that makes me wonder is that the head sculpt looks quite mature (which is actually a good thing in this hobby), and one usually thinks of dancing girls as rather young.

Thank you ! Wiring would fit better her second hanfu, one of which she wears after this particular scene. The dance she displays in comparison is energenetic and acrobatic, but here as previously mentionned, she moves slowly in soft manners. No need for poses that defy gravity haha.
This bald raw headsculpt with the actress' features is the only one available I've found on the market. Contrary to belief, I may suggest that accomplished dancers at the pinacle of their art are mature for sure ( outsides prodigees and even so). Excellence is an habit afterall, it takes time to master any skill.

Thank you everybody for your comments Very Happy

10Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 11:33

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LaMarquise wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Beautifully done, Marquise, and most impressive. Wiring or on-wiring is a tough choice, but I think you made the right call, and certainly achieved beautiful poses with it. The only thing that makes me wonder is that the head sculpt looks quite mature (which is actually a good thing in this hobby), and one usually thinks of dancing girls as rather young.

Thank you ! Wiring would fit better her second hanfu, one of which she wears after this particular scene. The dance she displays in comparison is energenetic and acrobatic, but here as previously mentionned, she moves slowly in soft manners. No need for poses that defy gravity haha.
This bald raw headsculpt with the actress' features is the only one available I've found on the market. Contrary to belief, I may suggest that accomplished dancers at the pinacle of their art are mature for sure ( outsides prodigees and even so). Excellence is an habit afterall, it takes time to master any skill.

Thank you everybody for your comments Very Happy
Absolutely: defying gravity (unless one wants to go full on Crouching Tiger...) is very much the reason why one should not over-rely on wiring. And I agree, there is plenty of good logic about maturity and experience. The stereotype (at least in western culture) is that performing dancers are at least somewhat youthful, although I can think of ballerinas that are more experienced. Perhaps so here. Either way, I like the head a lot; again, in our hobby, more mature (even middle-aged) looking female heads are a rarity. This one is both mature and beautiful at the same time.

11Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Wed 1 Nov 2023 - 13:07

Visisonor

Visisonor
Impressive outfit and dance sequence.

12Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Sat 4 Nov 2023 - 10:20

LaMarquise

LaMarquise
Thanks !

13Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Sat 4 Nov 2023 - 16:50

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
She looks stunning! I really liked this beautiful film and I think the fabric choices here look stunning to capture flow and drape. Excellent hand sewing, and the clay modelling is also wonderful. Thank you for sharing your process too, fantastic work.

14Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 19:25

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Absolutely beautiful work on that, the details are awesome and the figure is very pretty.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 1f60e

15Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Empty Re: Water sleeve dance 水袖舞 Sun 12 Nov 2023 - 12:57

Illusion

Illusion
Stunning - just absolutely stunning!
Remarkable job, both on the outfit but also doing the hair and decorations with FIMO! Who would have thought... I am always in awe when seeing what people are able to achieve with Fimo or similar clay...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum