OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Tanzenwolfe

What a marvellous adventure, as always it’s intriguing to see your processes and creative tricks with use of materials and parts!

shovelchop81

Tanzenwolfe wrote:What a marvellous adventure, as always it’s intriguing to see your processes and creative tricks with use of materials and parts!

Cheers! I might be swearing more than usual on these builds though!! pirat Twisted Evil

shovelchop81

Bollocks.... helmet arrived but too small, shrunk helmet is still a tad too big and can't be shrunk anymore...
I'm thinking maybe I can combine them in an artistic way with matching jagged edges to mimic lightning effects and have two shades of translucent blue (interrupted by bits of black) which might help get the size right too? Question Idea Neutral
Sadly there's no magical chemical to enlarge PC, PS, ABS, PEI etc... maybe hot water and an air pump? lol

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 CvR6xYA

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 ZJrrM0j

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 GHSSCAC

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 9qr8tkG

VINYL MASK ISN'T FULLY RECONSTRUCTED YET.

Zes

Ah, the new helmet's a tad too small, like you said. Bummer.

Question: Why not look at 3D printing a Vader mask in clear resin or translucent blue?

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Zes wrote:Ah, the new helmet's a tad too small, like you said. Bummer.

Question: Why not look at 3D printing a Vader mask in clear resin or translucent blue?
I've already been talking to a guy on eBay about it, he said transparent colours can be problematic with 3D printing and the helmet is part of a statue set only, not available on its own but I'll see if he can quote me a price for the set to get an idea whether it's affordable for the project or not. Meanwhile I'll just experiment with what I have.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 L92EIZV

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Sent a message to the eBay printer guy who I think is in the UK and English is obviously their first language so that always helps! Explained more in depth about what I'm doing and what I need, also attached measurements pics and a comparison pic of what I have.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 DCzbR51

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 AkS6k5f

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 9SPy5U0

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 UZYeC8x

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 JWGUrvH

GOT THE CLEAR ONE APPART WITH HOT WATER AND BRUTE FORCE..

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 HQaoTwV

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 Gt5eAjm

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 SAMwWs7

Yeah, this kind of sucks...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Perhaps it's the same guy, but I found this UK printer on Etsy very reliable and helpful:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CBPrints3D

Zes

Zes
I've used Fiverr to find 3D printing services, with great success. There should be several UK printers on there. I think I worked with a UK-based printer a year or so ago. I can find his page if you'd like.

I also printed a bunch of stuff in regular clear resin and translucent blue resin by Siraya Tech, which I can definitely recommend.

My thought process would be to find a Darth Vader 3D print STL set meant for 1:1 cosplay, scale that down to 1:6 scale or to your precise measurements, and then try to get that 3D printed in a suitable color in 4k or 8k resin.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
removed by creator.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The photos show up fine if I go into your thread in edit mode or hit preview, but show up as links when posted; the links work, but I understand your frustration. The workaround we used last time does not seem to work here, unless Dave manages to solve this mystery too. Try to think back to whether you pasted in these links in any way differently from what you did in the previous posts, where they worked correctly. Or perhaps the sheer number of images in a single post send up a red flag to the software and somehow causes this.
One of the links had a ? in it; removing it did not help.
We have had Imgur-related issues before, but they seemed to be resolved. At the time we consulted Forumotion, we discovered that posting the BBCode directly in the message was sufficient for it to display the photo. But when I remove the [ img ] [ /img ] tags from your links, all I get is a link, so that does not seem to work now.
Here is a link to that thread, but I don't know that it would help:
https://help.forumotion.com/t155601-imgur-images-and-insert-image-function?highlight=imgur

EDIT: I experimented with breaking down the post into three smaller portions and it works. I don't know the precise limitations and conditions that lead to this issue, but as I suspected, it does have something to do with how many Imgur image links you are posting in a single post, at least in part. The second portion (with 18 photos) still had enough image links to prompt the anti-spam protocol, but it nevertheless posted the images fine. My suggestion is that you post smaller sections of photos at a time.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Shovelchop81:

Thanks guys! Great links to have!!
I'm currently discussing the model below being printed 1/6 clear white or blue resin (he has dyes) and I've asked if they have a skull and spine the can print in clear white resin too which would save me making moulds and buying resin etc.. which isn't cheap and goes off. [/img]

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 SnywZjy

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 PRVxbey

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 RQpdO0H

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 Zejv9fv

modded Predator skull to be recast in clear if needed

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 NoxQWQS

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Shovelchop81:

I've been working on the 3) Vader too, dremelling his crotch and removing the rubber 'pants' he had to get him to sit better. Along the way I discovered a connector had broken in the past due to the ridiculously strong spring connecting his groin to his abdomen, so fixed that and put in a much weaker spring which will aid with articulation too.
The new HT vest, groin armour and light up chest box (ESB correct)  arrived today so I installed those and discovered even though the ANH chest box he came with (second hand) doesn't light up and never did (no wires) the belt boxes actually do! So now he has a full light up armour controls system which is really cool.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 AsI74vV

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 IQEck8S

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 RFGsAax

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 6pRv0U3

BROKEN BIT

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 Ec91IKM

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 NZfLl79

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 R404Ftz

STUPIDLY STRONG SPRING!!

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 RgCVyPq

LARGER BUT MUCH WEAKER SPRING NOW USED

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 QCVVaro

RUBBER 'PANTS' REMOVED

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 E6Oj6y4

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 QNHEmrU

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 0hf0Wht

IMPROVED ARTICULATION

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 MtbHYAZ

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 InwtWCC

BELT NEEDED TO BE MODDED A BIT

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 Kb0Rv0m

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 Rwigiza

INITIAL TRIAL WITH CLOTHES, BETTER BUT NOT GREAT

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 PxAkxUr

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 1Xucb5C

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Shovelchop81:

MUCH BETTER AFTER DISCONNECTING HIS GROIN ARMOUR THONG AND PLACING THE CHEST BOX BATTERY PACK HIGHER UP HIS BACK MAKING HIM LEAN FURTHER FORWARD WITH THE WEAKER SPRING IN PLACE (HS IS SSC SO WILL NEED A MOD I THINK TO FIT RIGHT).

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 JDiVryf

ALL LIT UP TOO! FLASHES IN AN ALTERNATING PATTERN LIKE THE REAL THING

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 IXUysBd

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 CdNzytQ

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 6D2VOTM

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 XvEkkt0

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 HIqUzVC

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 WRdMR53

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 C0sQPkI

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I finally had a moment to see all the photos in detail. Definitely not an easy kitbash, with so much customization, but I think it is shaping up great.
Do you think you have more Vaders than Stormtroopers? Smile

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I finally had a moment to see all the photos in detail. Definitely not an easy kitbash, with so much customization, but I think it is shaping up great.
Do you think you have more Vaders than Stormtroopers? Smile

Thanks so much again for all the effort you put into getting my pics to display! I'll now try to follow the less than 18 pics per post 'rule of thumb' that seems to work best Laughing

And thank you for taking the time to comment after what was probably a frustrating solution to find!

I do indeed have more Vaders than original trilogy ST's since I only have four on display but there are other troopers: Death Star, Scout, Snow, Death, TIE Pilots, officers etc.. also lots of different clones (oxymoron?) and First Order ST's and their variants...probably forgetting some.. do Royal Guards count? They are elite ST's after all.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Thanks so much again for all the effort you put into getting my pics to display! I'll now try to follow the less than 18 pics per post 'rule of thumb' that seems to work best Laughing

And thank you for taking the time to comment after what was probably a frustrating solution to find!

I do indeed have more Vaders than original trilogy ST's since I only have four on display but there are other troopers: Death Star, Scout, Snow, Death, TIE Pilots, officers etc.. also lots of different clones (oxymoron?) and First Order ST's and their variants...probably forgetting some.. do Royal Guards count? They are elite ST's after all.

Just remember, 18 would still trigger the anti-spam check but so far it seems to allow the images to post.

I think you need to bash some more regular Stormies... Smile The relatively cheap recipe was Bandai kit with Hasbro's "flying" Stormtrooper's helmet (which is better than the Bandai one). By now, however, these pieces are probably harder to find.

I still think that you have some leeway with the seating area of the "meditation chamber" and a higher seat would allow you to seat your Vader more comfortably.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:Thanks so much again for all the effort you put into getting my pics to display! I'll now try to follow the less than 18 pics per post 'rule of thumb' that seems to work best Laughing

Just remember, 18 would still trigger the anti-spam check but so far it seems to allow the images to post.

I think you need to bash some more regular Stormies... Smile The relatively cheap recipe was Bandai kit with Hasbro's "flying" Stormtrooper's helmet (which is better than the Bandai one). By now, however, these pieces are probably harder to find.

I still think that you have some leeway with the seating area of the "meditation chamber" and a higher seat would allow you to seat your Vader more comfortably.

I also have a Black Hole ST. Yeah the Bandai kits were perfect but they're too expensive and rare now. Got ST's where I need them, had a shelf packed with Hasbro ones before but decided it was a bit tatty and a waste of a shelf tbh. The seat will work with some mods as it's more of a round cushioned backed thing in the movie, I can change the angle of the seat etc..

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 KYfVQbi

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 M0UySqu

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 NK9qnAP

Chamber's undersized but the chair is about right.

Diana

Diana
YES!! He's looking great. That unmasked head is looking so good! And the sitting pose is working. Win!

And heh, you sent me down a rabbit hole regarding the origins of "squee". Smile Yes, it describes a high pitched sqeal expressing a state of joyful excitement, though I consider a sqeal to be more animal-speech (especially pigs), while a squee is a more controlled human sound. I first encountered it on a Magic: The Gathering card and it has stuck with me. Laughing 

Bet you wanted to know that. Wink

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Diana wrote:YES!! He's looking great. That unmasked head is looking so good! And the sitting pose is working. Win!

And heh, you sent me down a rabbit hole regarding the origins of "squee". Smile Yes, it describes a high pitched sqeal expressing a state of joyful excitement, though I consider a sqeal to be more animal-speech (especially pigs), while a squee is a more controlled human sound. I first encountered it on a Magic: The Gathering card and it has stuck with me. Laughing 

Bet you wanted to know that. Wink

That is interesting! We don't really use 'squee' in English, must be more Germanic in origin maybe? A 'squeal' is used to describe some pig like noises but also often children especially little girls. It also means to inform or 'tell on' someone i.e. to be traitorous perhaps initially described that way due to torture?
Getting there with some parts of the different builds but have some interesting problems for each one to address.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ah... but is "squee" pronounced Skvi: in German? Smile I have always taken it as intended when I've seen it here in type, and I think Diana is not the only one to use it.

Back to business, great job tracking down the actual look of the furniture for Vader's seat, which I'm pretty sure was not discernible onscreen. A sloping surface to the seat part (lower in front, higher in back), combined with appropriate overall height, should help the sitting position.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Wow! Lot to catch up on. This is looking pretty cool. And the fact your adding all the diorama pieces — awesome stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 1f10

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Ah... but is "squee" pronounced Skvi: in German? Smile I have always taken it as intended when I've seen it here in type, and I think Diana is not the only one to use it.

Back to business, great job tracking down the actual look of the furniture for Vader's seat, which I'm pretty sure was not discernible onscreen. A sloping surface to the seat part (lower in front, higher in back), combined with appropriate overall height, should help the sitting position.

Stryker2012 wrote:Wow! Lot to catch up on. This is looking pretty cool. And the fact your adding all the diorama pieces — awesome stuff.

Thanks guys!
Well the 3D printer guy's giving me the 'cold shoulder' probably out of his comfort zone doing something not 'plug and play' not the first time this has happened confused Mad  I sent him some pics of my customs assuring him I won't be moaning about the part once it arrives as I'm very used to adapting things to my needs as long as it's the correct size (already sent him measurements in those pics I posted here before and just asked him to get as close as possible with the shape of the model/file he has). Anyway looks like I'm on my own which is fine, I hate relying on other people for stuff like this because of the unreliability, communication breakdowns etc..
So I'm doing a typical chop job of Frankensteining the large translucent helmet with the small translucent helmet, carefully cutting and gluing parts to try and get the correct 'Goldilocks' size while keeping the proportions as accurate as possible (I'll allow a little leeway for distortion as he is getting zapped heavily by Force Lightning!). I'll also include missing bts from the two by supplementing parts like the collar back and lower front etc.. using the black Hasbro bits. I've ordered a second hot glue gun to run clear glue through as my only one is full of the more expensive black glue right now and it just seems a wise cheap investment for the long run to have one gun in each of the colours I use all the time (you can't just pull out the black stuff to change it to the clear stuff, you have to waste a lot of glue each time and can still cross contaminate them anyway).I'll be using the clear glue to fill in gaps and add structural support to the rather fragile helmet. To blend the different shades of blue I'll blur the borders with blue ink so they look more 'marbled' with lighter streaks here and there. The dome is going to be a pain but I have an idea to fade parts to black leaving contrasting highlights of light and dark blue, leaving the mask to be the focus of the glowing parts from the LED, still need to cast a clear skull though unless it looks like it won't be able to be seen.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 CHUfWxB

SSC parts for size comparison only.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 KTdQGcQ

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 0DUOsJR

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 3TtbXPv

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 TQFOuqC

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 TCDemY1

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 OtBAn2B

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 SkemhKL

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 8OhFqzX

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 LCXCsOw

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 FeMpo8U

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 HezfPiM

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 Jh9qLta

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
You could try some of the other printers we suggested. But it looks like you are well on your way with this aspect of the project. And it looks promising. Frankensteining it sounds about right, given the process. Smile

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:You could try some of the other printers we suggested. But it looks like you are well on your way with this aspect of the project. And it looks promising. Frankensteining it sounds about right, given the process. Smile

He got back to me today, some BS about being away (from his phone or what?) for a few days but whatever, might work out might not.
I'm just carrying on as if he won't be making it, nothing else to do with these parts anyway! Wink Going to start the helmet's shell/bowl whatever you call it now.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 HcLuoam

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 SDGFbA0

THOUGHT ABOUT INCREASING HIS LENSES SIZE BY PUTTING THEM ON THE OUTSIDE BUT DECIDED IT WOULD LOOK TOO GOOFY.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 Nq3OYd7

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 H2APHRj

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 IzcknCA

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 H20m7h0

IT WILL BE NARROWED ETC..

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 8SFxMPl

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 9Hkcvjm

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 2VNMcR4

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 HOC2BGe

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 MDYnihk

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 EBZSZma

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 YOYpbYv

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 P59yrSY

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Looking good, Alex. Sorry to hear that guy isn’t being very helpful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 1f10

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2012 wrote:Looking good, Alex. Sorry to hear that guy isn’t being very helpful.

To be fair he's gotten back to me a couple of times today but still not sure of the price or how clear he can print it, also 'yellowing's' a thing apparently.

So still working with what I have.

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 L5NvGpr

Three New Darth Vader Figures (LAST TWEAKS TO EMPEROR'S DEATH DIO) & Dio Builds For Them 1) Bespin Gantry Scene 2) Force Lightning Killing Emperor Scene 3) Meditation Chamber Scene. - Page 2 EDagfJE

Zes

Zes
Yellowing is only really an issue with clear resin. If you print in a translucent blue, you, hopefully, won't have that issue. Exposure to UV is usually what causes resin to turn yellow. You can also coat clear resin with varnish, which should somewhat protect it.

I have a 3D printed part printed in clear resin some ~6 years ago that I sprayed with gloss varnish. It's still perfectly clear.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Your dedication to this is amazing. I've heard of people putting together life-size Vader helmets, but you are building one from pieces in sixth-scale. Wow!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Zes wrote:Yellowing is only really an issue with clear resin. If you print in a translucent blue, you, hopefully, won't have that issue. Exposure to UV is usually what causes resin to turn yellow. You can also coat clear resin with varnish, which should somewhat protect it.

I have a 3D printed part printed in clear resin some ~6 years ago that I sprayed with gloss varnish. It's still perfectly clear.

Yes, we've been talking about that and he says he has some tricks like letting it cure in water then varnishing it with UV resistant clear coat. Good to know your's has lasted so well for so long!

GubernatorFan wrote:Your dedication to this is amazing. I've heard of people putting together life-size Vader helmets, but you are building one from pieces in sixth-scale. Wow!

Cheers mate! Done it before lol. I remember getting the shape of the helmet dome right was the tough part and that was making a black opaque one so I could use putty and all kinds of glues etc..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum