OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Ephiane

Beautiful way to photograph. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get your taste for 1:6 figures.

Visisonor

Theboo-bomb wrote:Very nice! I like the lightning.
Ephiane wrote:Beautiful way to photograph. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get your taste for 1:6 figures.

Thanks! Light is the hardest part of photography, and I still have a lot to learn.

Accessorize! (Part 2: sparring outfits)

With 1/6 scale I can't really afford having multiple figures per character as I do in 1/12 - too much space, and heads I need are too rare. So I have to resort to swapping clothes. Which is, of course, realistic, but not convenient.

One of the looks I consider iconic is the training/sparring attire. Here is the reference in 1/12 scale:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Kate_v10
(Kate and Vera, obviously a composite image)

components:
How easy can it be to replicate it in 1/6 scale?
There are options.

I started with BOX Studio, mostly because they've used S22/23 in their promo pics (though what I have in hand differs from those pics).
But the result did not meet my expectations. The material is stiff and not stretchy, any attempt to strain these pants rips some seam or the other apart. Moreover, I am obsessed with covering joints, and my favourite way of hiding the ankle joint is letting the pants drape over part of the foot, as seen on the twelfth scale photo above. These pants end with a cuff, making it hard to achieve:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_6943
I was able to fidget the ankle eventually to make it look better:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7053

And the top is actually quite nice, also seen in an earlier post. But I needed something better.

Next up: the Yoga Sportswear Suit Set, unbranded, as far as I can tell:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Yset10
I've only tried the pants, and they are made from much stretchier material than the BOX Toys set.

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7054
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7136

Even if they are shorter than BOX Toys pants, they work so much better in general, and I could declare victory with these if I didn't find a better option.

This better, and final option is called CJG-049:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cjg-0410

and it resembles my 1/12 scaled reference the most:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7137

The lower part drapes over the foot the way I want to, covering the joint in the most natural way. The pants are long and stretchy:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7138
Even a full split is possible (not easy, it can take up to an hour, but possible):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7139

on the subject of splits:

The only downside, at least for the black version, is the abundance of lint. Even after two washes, the top from this set leaves fibers on the body - not staining, but they are a pain to remove (the pants are OK after two washes, however).
So the top on the photos above is not from this set - it's from CJG-044 by the same manufacturer:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_6945
Kate would like to remind you that these CJG clothes require Stryker's vinegar wash to prevent staining!

Curiously, lint is not an issue for the white version, and Vera wants some spotlight too, so here is the complete CJG-049 suit in white:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7140

(and yes, it's Vera, not Villa in this outfit; just my mental model, really)
White also tends to accentuate all the details that are now being censored. But this is because the pants are quite high here as I was planning this shot:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7217
Splits? What's the big deal?

Normally they would be a bit lower to better cover the ankles - because doing the split and covering ankles at the same time is a stretch (literally).

But I also wanted them to have identical outfits in different colors, and actually a bit denser too. The crop top I like the most, judging from product photos, is this item by FireApple (if I read it right):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Fireap10
I've ordered it in black and white, but what I actually received looks more like this:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Unknow10

I guess eBay is always a gamble.

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7219
Kate: oh come on, posing again! I want action!

I have to leave action for another post though, this one is already too long.
Sorry for the long read, hope it may be helpful.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
It is a sensible strategy and I think a winning one, by the looks of it. They look good. As for the lint... one time (it is documented somewhere here as an unexpected discovery) I came across a pair of black athletic pants or shorts that left so much lint that they provided a viable solution for making male bodies look hairy. I was so intrigued with this "fix" that I ordered a second pair, which was for some reason remarkably reluctant to produce anything near the same amount of lint. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

BAMComix

Really great pictures, and as Ian said above, a good idea to swap heads, change clothes and keep costs down. I think you've made them look just as god as their 1/12th versions Very Happy .

Diana

Diana
While the white version looks a little too transparent for my liking I can ignore that because the overall look is great! I am totally with you on your choices among what you've tried. They look great!

Visisonor

Visisonor
GubernatorFan wrote:I ordered a second pair, which was for some reason remarkably reluctant to produce anything near the same amount of lint. Smile
Ah, good to know that these things are not consistent. It wouldn't hurt to have another CJG-049 set in black (I may already have it even, just didn't open it yet).

BAMComix wrote:Really great pictures, and as Ian said above, a good idea to swap heads, change clothes and keep costs down. I think you've made them look just as good as their 1/12th versions Very Happy .
Thanks.
They are definitely better articulated than their 1/12th versions.
As for swapping heads - the biggest downside is that I can't have both sisters in the same photo (though it makes sense story-wise) - at least without blending them in post-processing. So I'll keep hunting for another head, and try to make a custom one. It's way over my skill level, but the only way to learn anything is to try.

Diana wrote:I am totally with you on your choices among what you've tried. They look great!
Thank you, and I'm glad you like these results.
I'll also try to make the white one less revealing - should look better in dynamic poses, and perhaps in neutral ones too, with some adjustments.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Girls fight (part 1)

The first more or less serious attempt to shoot a sparring sequence - which is pretty much what the outfits from the previous post are for.
A couple of kicks, punches and something that's supposed to represent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osoto_otoshi.

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7231
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7232
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7230
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7233
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7235
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7234
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7236
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7237
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7238
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7239
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7241
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7240
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7310
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7311
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7312
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7313

Also pictured are pale fists from Frontline Maid Eliza. They kind of work but nail polish is visible in some photos, I may need to paint it over. But I'm waiting for another set of hands with fists, so maybe I won't have to.

Overall, despite better articulation, it seems harder to pose these figures than their 1/12 scale counterparts: they are larger and require longer hand motions.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Nice sequence of pics. There are a couple that look like real people. Pretty cool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely posed. I agree with Mark, in some of these they are very realistic.

BAMComix

BAMComix
You captured the movement really well!

Diana

Diana
What a cool sequence!! Nice attention to detail. Have you ever made a stop motion film? What a Face 

How was it to create this in 1/6 as opposed to 1/12? Smile

Visisonor

Visisonor
Stryker2012 wrote:There are a couple that look like real people.
GubernatorFan wrote:in some of these they are very realistic.
Thanks! That's the goal, make them look like real people, at least to untrained eye Smile

BAMComix wrote:You captured the movement really well!
Thanks! I'm trying to capture key poses which hint at some motion.

As for stop motion, though...
Diana wrote:Have you ever made a stop motion film?
It will require a decimal order of magnitude more shots in between, with minuscule adjustments. I haven't tried that.

Diana wrote:How was it to create this in 1/6 as opposed to 1/12? Smile
I've mentioned that in a post - articulation is better than that of 1/12 scale seamless figures, it does not limit poses I want to achieve. But working with larger figures is harder. I am somewhat used to figures fitting within my hands so I can get my figures around them and adjust them with small movements. With 1/6 scale, however, I have to move my hands around much more.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Wow very nice! Getting real martial arts vibes from that sequence!

Also liking the backdrop fits nicely into your world even though it makes the eyes not catch the scale of your figures. It could be 1/12 after all. Smile

Visisonor

Visisonor
Valiarde wrote:Also liking the backdrop fits nicely into your world even though it makes the eyes not catch the scale of your figures. It could be 1/12 after all. Smile

The central part of the backdrop is actually made of floor panels from 1/12 floor pack. Though these panels are generic enough to work as walls too, in both scales.
But box-like things seen on the left (parts of Sector 6 diorama) are more obviously out of scale.

As for catching the scale:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7316 Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7315 Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7314
(Pictures like these are usually titled "don't talk to me and my son/daughter ever again" on various action figure subreddits, though they also evoke recursion memes featuring Xzibit.)

Valiarde

Valiarde
Yeah I'm quiet a meme guy and know the xzibit stuff. lol Thanks for the usual titles.

These doubled up figures 1/6 and 1/12 look so nice and fun in one picture.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Adaptational Modesty

One thing that somewhat bothers me with the 1/6 scale version of Villa is the deep décolletage of her suit.
If you remember how the 1/12 figure looks, without scarf,
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_3416

the cleavage is not as deep as on the large version:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7326

(and since the smaller figure was released later, the adaptational modesty concept was applied on transition to 1/12).
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7327

And even the scarf of the larger figure is comparatively shorter.
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7410

Generally I don't mind revealing outfits and prefer them in certain cases. But I don't find them compatible with military (or pseudo-military) style of this character (or at least how I envisioned her in my setting).

So I decided to dress her up a bit
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7411

I've got another crop top specifically for that, in grey to match the colors of the suit (though black would work too):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7412
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7413

Complete look with scarf and glasses:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7414

Anyway, this looks closer to the 1/12 scale look which I consider iconic. Not exactly the same, but I don't mind slight differences. And it makes more sense to me now.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Your solution seems to work nicely, well done, it works and looks great bounce

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, it works very well, and helps your figure look more serious and credible. Not to mention, match her mini-her. Smile

Visisonor

Visisonor
BAMComix wrote:Your solution seems to work nicely
GubernatorFan wrote:Not to mention, match her mini-her. Smile
Thanks.
Now I need to make cross-scale photos with updated look (I thought I did that but apparently forgot).

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Good way to adapt it to look more authentic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 1f10

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
The fight scene is posed expertly! Excellent work!

I also like the addition of the top to Villa's outfit. Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 1f44d The big bust on the VC body is so exaggerated that it actually hurts the overall look of the figure.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Stryker2012 wrote:Good way to adapt it to look more authentic.
Thanks.
Do you mean authentic in the sense of plausible/realistic? Or original/unique?
Either way, I sometimes add these little custom touches elevating figures from their stock look. Not for all figures, but for those I particularly care about.
She now needs a sidearm holster - her mini version has one.
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7416

Randam Hajile wrote:The fight scene is posed expertly!
Thanks!

Randam Hajile wrote:I also like the addition of the top to Villa's outfit. ... The big bust on the VC body is so exaggerated
I think it is exaggerated by the stock outfit and its cleavage, the bust itself mostly matches the size of TBL "medium"... Which is still quite big tbh, and since the female characters in my setting are based on 1/12 version of VC body or on similarly proportioned T01, they all ended up having "Boobs Of Steel"

Visisonor

Visisonor
Accessorize! (Part 3)

As mentioned in earlier posts, there is a big selection of 1/6 scale female hands, but fists are quite rare and come in gloved sets most of the time. Up until February it was possible to stumble upon parted out fists from Frontline Maid Eliza or some earlier VeryCool releases, but they either don't fit TBL pegs without adjustments or have painted fingernails, or a subject to "sorry friend, this item is not in stock".
Suddenly a wild set of accessories appears!

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Displa10

I couldn't find the manufacturer's name, but these sets are called "Display of hands", and come in 4 colors: pale, normal, suntan, copper suntan.
I've bought all four.
Pale is a perfect match for TBLeague pale bodies. Suntan is not a perfect match but relatively close - so it's Vera's turn to demonstrate the hands and their color.

Fists! Finally!
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7328

Trigger fingers:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7329

item holding hands (wider grip than stock or VS Toys hands):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7330

Relaxed:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7331

And an asymmetrical gesture pair (fingersnap of doom? or everyone comes back?)
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7332

No offensive gestures this time. It's also worth pointing out that these hands have longer (unpainted) fingernails - so they are probably meant for civilian/fashion use cases. Though with fists it's not too evident.

These hands were a relatively recent acquisition, but I was also hoarding other stuff in the meantime, to re-create Kate's agent look. Plus she started to show interest in Villa's gear in the absence of her own,
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7055

so I had to remedy that.

The first to arrive (and to be shown in earlier posts) was the XM2010 sniper rifle by Easy & Simple:

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7056
- Ok, Kate, I'm keeping it if you don't give my M4 back.
- Hey!

XM2010 was my ultimate choice in the quest for perfect sniper rifle, and I was pleasantly surprised by its availability in 1/6 scale (finding it in 1/12 was quite literally a quest).
Larger scale also allows for more details than the smaller model kit. The bipod is articulated, with real springs! The only drawback is that rails for acessories are quite loose. In the end I've ended up gluing the rail for the bipod as it became loose after each time it fell off.

Next up, the tried and true Colt M1911, by Soldier Story:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7143

(also shown here is my final solution for the wrist wraps: it looks like several loops of cloth band wrapped around the wrist because it is, but the whole thing is held together with glue).

It features moving slide and removable magazine (though this, unlike articulated bipods, is common in 1/12 scale too):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7144

Shown above with gloved hands from VS Toys, which are similar to Very Cool ones but with more variety. No fists though.

And the last missing piece to recreate the agent outfit, which is based on Catch Me figure is, unsurprisingly, the 1/6 scale version of this outfit.
Special thanks for BAMComix for confirming how it works:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7145

Unlike the smaller version, which is a one-piece bodysuit, this one consists of two parts. Above is the "body" part, and the other is simple pants:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7417

The boots are from another VeryCool set, Miss Spetsnaz IIRC:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7418
(I have the Catch Me boots too, but I'm too lazy to untie their laces)

The finishing touches include the holster, the belt, combat knife (also the larger version of the twelfth scale one):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7419

And the SVD, which pretty much completes Kate's look from the first chapters of the Diary:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7420

This SVD is actually a model kit, my first in this scale. From FireApple, which also makes one of the tops mentioned here. This reminds me of this meme about
Hitachi:

But ultimately, I was aiming for this (even though she wasn't ever shown using the XM2010 in the story):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7421

Or this - Kate's look from the last chapter:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7422

And even this is probably not the end, I can't stop adjusting things here and there. Possibilities are almost limitless.
But the post ended up quite long again, so I'll stop for now. Sorry for the long read and thanks for looking.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Fantastic pick ups for your female agents! They seem to be making great use of them Very Happy . Lovey posing to by the way Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I second that, great choices, working very well for your continued upgrade/sixth-scale renditions.

Visisonor

Visisonor
BAMComix wrote:Lovey posing to by the way Wink
GubernatorFan wrote:I second that, great choices
Thanks!
And yes, it is an upgrade in terms of articulation and details.
(It may not be complete, some pieces are missing but they can be added)
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7423

Visisonor

Visisonor
Girls fight (part 2)

This was photographed some time ago, not long after part 1.
Since these wooden dowels make decent Bo staffs, I wanted to put them in action:

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7334
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7335
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7333
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7337
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7338
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7336
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7339
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7340
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7341
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7342
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7343
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) - Page 2 Cnr_7344

It seems even harder to set the figures up with two-handed weapons, so the whole sequence covers only two strikes.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like the new sequence. Naturally it is harder with two-handed weapons, but you made it work very well.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great movement capture!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum