OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLeague PHICEN 1/6 Custom Male Head Sculpt

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

vonacid

Stryker2011 wrote:
1.  Any neckless head with a ball-joint socket should work. If the ball joint inside the head is too big, you might have to do a little modding to make it fit (I sometimes use a little blu-tac on the ball of the neck joint to make it tighter; some have used air-drying miliput on the ball joint). If the inner neck joint is too tight -- sometimes you can take the neck joint out, but generally I find if you take a Dremel you can widen even that inner rubber just enough to get the neck joint to slide right in.)

2. Are you referring to the difference between resin and vinyl? If you're talking about a "soft" head like a Barbie -- those are generally easier for someone to do a reroot as the entire head is hollow and they can easily get to the knots inside the head to cut out the existing head and "reroot" it. Most of the heads for 1/6 are not of this variety. They are either hard resin, or solid plastic of some sort. Many of the heads with "real" hair have a scalp piece attached to the back of the head that has the hair attached to it. TBLeague (when they were still Phicen) used to make their heads with a removable scalp piece -- now they glue that thing on with industrial grad adhesive, just like most of the manufacturers. A couple companies (like Kumik & Wondery, & occaionally Super Duck) still make the scalp piece removable. A removable scalp piece would be the easiest for someone to work with. I've used this lady in the past for a couple female head sculpts (not sure if she'd be able to mimic the type of hair you're looking for or not):

http://tsubasahome.com/rootingservice.htm

The bigger problem is finding a male head sculpt with a removable scalp that would work for what you want. More than likely, you will have to find someone who can do custom hair work: meaning you would send them the intended head you want to use and they would then have to glue the hair on one tiny bit at a time until they achieved what you are looking for (IF you can find someone who can do this -- it WILL NOT BE CHEAP -- I've been told this sort of process can cost as much as $300-500 dollars).

3. I don't know anyone (other than the lady above, and I doubt she'd be able to help you to be honest) who can do the kind of thing you're asking. There are a couple really decent YouTube videos I've seen by folks gluing hair onto a bald doll head; you might want to check those out, get a couple of cheap heads (they don't have to be bald to begin with -- you can shave that off with a Dremel -- and practice this technique yourself. I have to do this myself, I just haven't gotten up the nerve to do so).

Check out this forum for possible "sculptors" to help you (MAYBE you'll find one willing to take on commissions, and you can get the entire head -- with sculpted hair -- made); you'll have to register to navigate the site or see anything:

http://customonesixth.com/index.php

Thank you! and just curious. with this type WhiteHead is it possible to paint it into suntan color? and do you happen to know what sizes of head will fit a body like M32?

ravrohan

I was looking at some head sculpts today, and it occurred to me, have you thought of taking some of the female heads and modifying them?

vonacid

Do you happen to find any female heads that have a face shape similar to Noctis or 9S? I have no problem using them but the painter(makeup) artist I found is pretty particular about the shape of the face. And somehow... I can’t quite see the dissimilarity in them. Found a close one but it’s white head and artist said that she can’t paint it suntan and was told that maybe it’s smaller than expected for M32  TBLeague PHICEN 1/6 Custom Male Head Sculpt  - Page 2 Cb99b710

skywalkersaga

I’m not sure why someone would not be able to paint a head to match a skintone? I am not a professional doll repainter, but that seems rather odd.

Perhaps try that 'holy monk' head I mentioned earlier ( the one that ReverendSpooky modded to look like his character, Koda). I bet it could work for both of your male characters, even . Just a different paint job and different hair, etc. And at least with that one you know it would be the right size to work with a tbleague body. : )

The blank white head looks like it would work as well (shape-wise), but I’m just suggesting the other as a viable option , since it sounds like the artist you are using didn’t want to use a white head.... ?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, that blank head states clearly it’s not meant for a muscular body, and the bodies it says it is compatible with look even thinner than the standard “narrow shoulder” body. I think skywalkersaga is right, try to find that Monk head sculpt she suggested. I guess the only reason the Painter you found can’t paint the skin to match is they don’t have one of those bodies in front of them; if you are certain you want to use the M32, offer to send the Painter not only the head sculpt, but one of the hands from the body — they should be able to match the color to the hand).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague PHICEN 1/6 Custom Male Head Sculpt  - Page 2 C8485110

vonacid

Hi folks, thanks for your reply again.

Ive offered to send a M32 to the painter right from the beginning. there is a couple of issues im facing.

1) The painter request for a soft head due to the paint type she uses and she couldnt find the head sculpt with a face shape of her liking. The only one she found was white and she doesnt paint the head color and the size of the head might be too small for M32.

2) ive proposed to her using the holy monk one and is waiting for her reply. But given that she is very particular about the face shape of head matching the characters, it might be hard for her to use it for noctis and 9S.

3) i am just wondering.. if theres any head sculptors out there and customize head with color and size. with that, i can send her the head for painting and hair rooting. (Where did all the folks who came up with a new phicen/TBL head make the base of the head before sculpting and painting?)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum