OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Black Series 6" K2SO

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Black Series 6" K2SO Sun 24 Feb 2019 - 7:20

scalawag

scalawag
I have been thinking of getting this figure for a while as it is a character I like, but I saw it yesterday for around £15 (around $20 US), and as this was the cheapest I have seen it I thought I would get one.

This is No 24 in the Black series 6" range and I expect that most of you will have seen it before, but here goes.

This is a nicely made figure, with a good level of detail in the mouldings.  The hands do look a little weird to me, but I think this is because they have been moulded to at least have some hope of holding an accessory, although you don't actually get any accessories with the figure.  A blaster or thermal detonator might have been nice.  

The figure is nicely articulated, except for maybe having no swivel joint at the ankle.  There is one below the knee but these means the whole lower leg needs moving to twist the foot.  Other than that he moves as you would expect a character like this to, and he stands nicely on his own without the need for a stand (unlike IG-88).

The paint on this one is a bit of a mixed bag for me.  The upper body and head has some lovely paint application and nice weathering, however some of the paint elsewhere is not so good.  In particular the orange rings at the shoulders and hips are very uneven and patchy, and could have been much better.  The hips are particularly bad on mine I think.  Likewise the weathering on the feet looks quite false to me and almost as if it was an after thought.  It looks very much like what it is, which is blobs of silver paint.  Why the feet are like this when the rest of the weathering is much more subtle I don't know.
I think the best element of the paint may be the eyes.  In the pic with the 1/6 K2SO the 1/6 model actually has lit eyes, and the 6" models eyes seem to look very much like the lit ones in the bigger model.  I don't know if it is a reflective paint or similar that has been used, or if I just got lucky with the lighting, but this figure has very convincing eyes I think.

Anyway onto some pics so that you can see what I have been blathering on about:-

Black Series 6" K2SO VJWzJik
Black Series 6" K2SO OGvONGs
Black Series 6" K2SO A8CC6if
Black Series 6" K2SO IJRVWZZ
Black Series 6" K2SO Ky4Kvdu
Black Series 6" K2SO S25mPnI

And of course with his bigger self from Hot Toys

Black Series 6" K2SO DnjT6Bh

Thanks for reading

Paul

2Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Sun 24 Feb 2019 - 7:42

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool review. Aside from the truly obvious feet issue you expressed, he looks overall really good. I really like his character in RO, and I especially liked how he was not only the polar opposite of something like C-3PO, but the voice work of Alan Tudyk made him the comedic highlight of the film. I could kick myself for passing on the HT version (I thought the price was too high — now that he’s sold out, it’s insane).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Black Series 6" K2SO C8485110

3Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Sun 24 Feb 2019 - 9:00

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Cool review. Aside from the truly obvious feet issue you expressed, he looks overall really good. I really like his character in RO, and I especially liked how he was not only the polar opposite of something like C-3PO, but the voice work of Alan Tudyk made him the comedic highlight of the film. I could kick myself for passing on the HT version (I thought the price was too high — now that he’s sold out, it’s insane).

Yeah I think K2SO is a classic Star Wars character.For me he is one of the highlights of RO which is a real achievement for Alan Tudyk as the whole film is brilliant with many memorable characters, and it is quite something that his character stands out like this.

This figure is not bad, but I do think the paint lets it down a bit.  It's a shame because apart from that I think it would be an exceptional figure.

I think the Hot Toys K2SO whilst still pricey, actually represents more value for money than most Hot Toys figures do.  There are a lot of cast metal pieces in that figure (it weighs a ton) rather than the more normal plastic castings, and every single joint on it is superbly articulated right down to the finger joints.  The hands are truly masterpieces in their own right.  Unlike most other Hot Toys figures they could not design it on a standard body.  The whole thing will have to have been designed from scratch so more time and expense there too.
It's a very imposing and solid figure, and one of the only Hot Toys figures I have that I would gladly pay the asking price for again.  You get much more with that figure for your money than you do with almost all the other HT figures I would say.

Sorry I know it's gonna hurt because you passed on him Stryker2011, but he is awesome.

Paul

4Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Sun 24 Feb 2019 - 16:03

Ovy

Ovy
Yep, might be my favorite Droid character too!

Those eyes look quite good.
I have the Bandai 1/12 Model kit, which costs little more, but I like the details and proportions better.
On the other hand, you have to assemble, decal and weather by yourself.
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-K-2SO-Scale-Plastic-Rogue/dp/B01LWTAU5H

5Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Sun 24 Feb 2019 - 16:23

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree with everything you said, Paul, about both versions (and I had gotten both myself some time ago). I like the character too, definitely one highlight of the post-Original Trilogy installments.

6Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Mon 25 Feb 2019 - 1:53

scalawag

scalawag
Ovy wrote:Yep, might be my favorite Droid character too!

Those eyes look quite good.
I have the Bandai 1/12 Model kit, which costs little more, but I like the details and proportions better.
On the other hand, you have to assemble, decal and weather by yourself.
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-K-2SO-Scale-Plastic-Rogue/dp/B01LWTAU5H

Thanks Ovy,
I have a couple of the bandai kits in this scale and they are great model kits. Far more accurate than these black series figures are.

I used to do a lot of model making in the past from model railways to RC tanks, but these days I am less a model maker and more a collector with these things. My creativity in terms of making these days leans towards 1-1 costumes and props.

Paul

7Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Mon 25 Feb 2019 - 1:58

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:I agree with everything you said, Paul, about both versions (and I had gotten both myself some time ago). I like the character too, definitely one highlight of the post-Original Trilogy installments.

Thank you GubernatorFan as you know I have reached the limit on how much more of my money I will give to Hot Toys for any number of reasons, but their 1/6 K2SO is a stand out figure. It really is so well constructed and executed.
I think the Character is truly inspired, and we need more writing and creativity like that in the 'new' Star Wars universe (although I am an original trilogy stick in the mud Laughing )

Paul

8Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Mon 25 Feb 2019 - 5:44

blackpool

blackpool
Couldn't agree more with all the previous comments, indeed a cool figure of an awesome character, both in design and acting! Actually I'm both surprised and happy to read such a positive feedback about Rogue One, it's the only SW movie that gave me again that original starwars feeling, I didn't like the prequels that much, and I don't like the new era at all, I found RO very solid and respectful, like a proof there is a lot to tell in the SW universe without having to go too far, but that's another subject!!!

Thanks for the review!

9Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Mon 25 Feb 2019 - 8:49

scalawag

scalawag
blackpool wrote:Couldn't agree more with all the previous comments, indeed a cool figure of an awesome character, both in design and acting! Actually I'm both surprised and happy to read such a positive feedback about Rogue One, it's the only SW movie that gave me again that original starwars feeling, I didn't like the prequels that much, and I don't like the new era at all, I found RO very solid and respectful, like a proof there is a lot to tell in the SW universe without having to go too far, but that's another subject!!!

Thanks for the review!

Yeah Rogue One is an awesome film, and reawakened my own passion for Star Wars after becoming somewhat disillusioned with the Franchise in general. Like you said it really proves that there is so much still to explore about the original trilogy, such as where characters come from, things that are mentioned in passing and could be expanded on etc....
When these things are done right as in the case of RO then they take you straight back to the essential essence of what Star Wars is. No need for new plot lines, and new stories.

For me the biggest problem with the new trilogy is that its plot lines do not tie in to the original story at all. Yes it has some old familiar characters, but the story (if there is one) does not connect back to the past.

Paul

10Black Series 6" K2SO Empty Re: Black Series 6" K2SO Mon 25 Feb 2019 - 9:21

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Or rather, I'd say, the connections the Sequel Trilogy makes to the Original Trilogy are too tenuous and the feel of the thing itself too different from what we knew and wanted; there is too much invested in relatively unlikable new characters and too little in the ones we already liked (admittedly that was a tall order to fill, but they fail anyway). As for the Prequel Trilogy, it was in a way doomed from the start, because we knew how it was going to end. And it was spoiled further by overthinking and overconnection. But ultimately overthinking might also be our problem as (relatively) grown up fans of what was purportedly intended to be a movie for children. As for Rogue One, the film has some serious problems (though at times it shows some depth), but it does feel closer to the Original Trilogy (in part because of what it shows and how it looks) than anything else made since ROTJ.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum