OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

21Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:30 pm

A Man

22Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:18 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
A Man wrote:Very nice pictures.  Would you mind telling the designations for the male and female figure riding the horse in the images?

Thank you very much, glad you liked them. I got lucky with the scale of the horse and the background, I suppose. As for the male and female figures, do you mean what I named my characters? At the risk of sounding careless, I don't think I did -- they were just a "shirtless dude" (thanks, Sky!) and a "blonde ingenue" to make a reference to romantic horseback riding photos on a beach. Smile The male head is a "third party" rather blond-ish bearded Chris Evans, so I suppose he is named Chris (I know, not very original). The female head is... I forget, but cute-yet-bland enough to be Super Duck (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Let's call her Susie. So "Chris and Susie riding on the beach, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Smile Well... embracing anyway... Thanks for making me name them! You can find her in a few more photos alongside another named character in this satire thread:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1854-new-superhero-revealed-fire-man-nsfw-updated-with-part-ii-july-2019
(The characters she portrays on the book covers in Part II bear different names, but I suppose they are roles she "plays.")

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

23Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:07 pm

A Man

24Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:13 pm

TravelGuide

A Man wrote:So, there was this rainy Sunday in March and I was on my way out the door.  "That is a very clumsy choice of words", I said to myself, looking at the computer screen, but I will post it anyway.  After all, everyone can probably understand what I mean...

Thank you very much for the quick response - and for confirming that yes, that was a clumsy choice of words, and no, everyone can not understand what I meant.

What I was curious about, was the Tbleague designation for those two figures - I could just have asked: Which figures are that?

And giving one's figures names - do people really do that in full seriousness?

Anyway, I had a new photo session with Oksana from Arkhangelsk scheduled today, but I will instead sit down and write "I will formulate my questions better the next time"  100 times.
lol!
A photoshoot is more productive though.

25Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
A Man wrote:So, there was this rainy Sunday in March and I was on my way out the door.  "That is a very clumsy choice of words", I said to myself, looking at the computer screen, but I will post it anyway.  After all, everyone can probably understand what I mean... Thank you very much for the quick response - and for confirming that yes, that was a clumsy choice of words, and no, everyone can not understand what I meant. What I was curious about, was the Tbleague designation for those two figures - I could just have asked: Which figures are that?

And giving one's figures names - do people really do that in full seriousness? Anyway, I had a new photo session with Oksana from Arkhangelsk scheduled today, but I will instead sit down and write "I will formulate my questions better the next time"  100 times.

LOL. Welcome. Happy to help in any way, including with phrasing of questions. Smile They are indeed both TBLeague. He is an M33; she is an S25B.
Do people give their figures names? Hmm... well, Oksana from Arhangelsk... Sachiko... Kelly... Beata... Smile I usually do not, except for a specific story, as most of my figures are transient characters -- the heads and clothes and accessories are taken off and the body reused for another combination. Some, like Chad from the thread I linked above, are sticking around waiting for the next episode of their story. Suzie was part of that story and stuck around long enough to be reused for the Mr Z Horse review and for some comparison photos (see the TBLeague Catalog thread), but she has long been taken apart.

26Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:15 pm

A Man

27Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
A Man wrote:Thanks for confirming the, err, designations. I have been toying with the idea of getting the hanoverian and use with a sidesaddle, but honestly I wonder if even an s27b would be on the big side for that purpose.

You are welcome. According to the criterion specified by Stryker, S25B is fine -- in fact it really depends on how you perch your figures on top of the horse (the M33's ankles vary in relation to the horse's underside) and remember they are riding without a saddle in these photos.

28Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:34 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I used to ride and show horses, and the s25b seems ok in relation to this particular horse. The Hanoverian is small for a male figure but works well as a petite lady’s mount. I think someone worked it out that this horse would be the equivalent 14-something hands high in real life, which is either large pony-sized or small horse -sized, depending on the breed. A horse is usually considered anything taller than 14.2 hands, but there are some exceptions( like Icelandic horses). My own horse was only about 15 hands, and I’m about 5’4”, and my legs hung down a little longer than the s25b’s on this horse, even.

So, yeah ... seems fine. : )

29Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:52 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:I used to ride and show horses, and the s25b seems ok in relation to this particular horse. The Hanoverian is small for a male figure but works well as a petite lady’s mount. I think someone worked it out that this horse would be the equivalent 14-something hands high in real life, which is either large pony-sized or small horse -sized, depending on the breed. A horse is usually considered anything taller than 14.2 hands, but there are some exceptions( like Icelandic horses). My own horse was only about 15 hands, and I’m about 5’4”, and my legs hung down a little longer than the s25b’s on this horse, even.

Thanks for the input. Was that without a saddle? Anyway, looking at the figures I wonder if they could mount the horse had it been substantially taller. But what do I know. I can tell the difference between a horse and a deer, and know which one is good for riding, but that's about it! Wink

30Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:11 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
I have been looking into getting a Mr.Z horses for Dannii. Looking at your review it is now more tempting than ever!

31Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:46 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:I used to ride and show horses, and the s25b seems ok in relation to this particular horse. The Hanoverian is small for a male figure but works well as a petite lady’s mount. I think someone worked it out that this horse would be the equivalent 14-something hands high in real life, which is either large pony-sized or small horse -sized, depending on the breed. A horse is usually considered anything taller than 14.2 hands, but there are some exceptions( like Icelandic horses). My own horse was only about 15 hands, and I’m about 5’4”, and my legs hung down a little longer than the s25b’s on this horse, even.

Thanks for the input. Was that without a saddle? Anyway, looking at the figures I wonder if they could mount the horse had it been substantially taller. But what do I know. I can tell the difference between a horse and a deer, and know which one is good for riding, but that's about it! Wink

On that particular horse, I rode English (hunt seat), so an English saddle (though sometimes I did ride bareback for fun, lol). With an English saddle, the stirrups are quite adjustable and how long your legs hang down can vary depending on the length of the stirrup at a given time. I'd have to look at an old photo of myself to be totally sure. Certain styles of English riding tend to have the stirrups shorter than others. Also, English stirrups are not as stiff or bulky as Western stirrups, so allow for a bit more leeway when you have to touch the horse's sides with your heels. Likewise, some breeds of horses are stockier around the middle than others, which means sometimes even a shorter horse can still carry a somewhat taller rider.

As for mounting a horse, I usually used a mounting block, or got a leg up from someone.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

32Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:34 pm

A Man

skywalkersaga wrote:I used to ride and show horses, and the s25b seems ok in relation to this particular horse. The Hanoverian is small for a male figure but works well as a petite lady’s mount. I think someone worked it out that this horse would be the equivalent 14-something hands high in real life, which is either large pony-sized or small horse -sized, depending on the breed. A horse is usually considered anything taller than 14.2 hands, but there are some exceptions( like Icelandic horses).

Thank you very much for the info.

The Hanoverian in the MR.Z & MULTIFUN Cooperation: 1/6 Dressage/ Dressage-Female Equestrian Wear Set is apparently 14.1 hands.

I am left with the impression that even if the model is small for a horse of this type, the size itself could work very well for a female figure measuring around 5'1"-5'2".

33Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:06 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:As for mounting a horse, I usually used a mounting block, or got a leg up from someone.

I should have known... Smile But all kidding aside, thanks for the explanation. Like I said, I'm pretty clueless about horses when it comes to any real specifics or details.

34Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:41 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
A Man -- yes, I think that height sounds perfect for riding the Hanoverian. Smile

GF - lol, no worries. I can't claim to be an expert on every single thing about horses and equestrianism in general -- it's an incredibly vast subject and there is there is plenty I don't know. But I did spent most of my childhood, teenage years, and early adulthood around horses, and have been horse-obsessed all my life, so whatever input I may have that is helpful, I'm happy to share. Very Happy

35Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:59 pm

Illusion

Illusion
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:As for mounting a horse, I usually used a mounting block, or got a leg up from someone.

I should have known... Smile But all kidding aside, thanks for the explanation. Like I said, I'm pretty clueless about horses when it comes to any real specifics or details.

count me in the totally clueless bunch too. when it comes to horses, it is „like“ or „dislike“ here.

I used to have this horse as it was a „like“ as a horse by its own. But when it came to combining it with figures, it quickly became a „dislike“ because it appeared to me to be too small. And as horses are only accessories for me, I quickly sold it again.

Ezio just didn‘t really approve:

Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 39914002600_db6f7d489c_z

(He got another one and is slightly happier now.)

I saw this was an older thread but still useful for members looking for a nice 1/6 horse...

36Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:33 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for sharing the pic.... it makes it clear that it's pretty short next to a 1/6 male figure. Though I feel the horse is absolutely fine for, say, a medieval lady's mount. Horses prior to the early modern period were generally a lot shorter than they are now. From what I understand, the majority of ridden horses in the medieval period would have only been somewhere in the range of 14-15.2 hands. That's why I feel these 'Hanoverians', while misnamed and too short from our modern perspective, may still have some use for certain historical time periods, at least.

37Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:42 pm

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
AFAIK they were even smaller than that in Roman times. Basically it took millennia of breeding to get horses as big as they are today.

38Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Such a pretty head for a horse.

39Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Illusion

Illusion
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for sharing the pic.... it makes it clear that it's pretty short next to a 1/6 male figure. Though I feel the horse is absolutely fine for, say, a medieval lady's mount. Horses prior to the early modern period were generally a lot shorter than they are now. From what I understand, the majority of ridden horses in the medieval period would have only been somewhere in the range of 14-15.2 hands. That's why I feel these 'Hanoverians', while misnamed and too short from our modern perspective, may still have some use for certain historical time periods, at least.

TravelGuide wrote:AFAIK they were even smaller than that in Roman times. Basically it took millennia of breeding to get horses as big as they are today.

very valid and useful comments!
to be taken into consideration by anyone striving for authenticity.

Fortunately, I do not care a lot for authenticity (given my fantasy stuff) Embarassed and just go for what looks nice to me.

40Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Now that you have brought it up, I do remember that my rationale for getting a couple of those included: (1) the look -- I considered it both attractive and, from my point of view, iconic for a horse; (2) I was kitbashing a Roman cavalryman (and still am... long story) and was actually looking for a short-ish horse because of that.

41Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:23 pm

Illusion

Illusion
it is a very beautiful horse, no doubt about that.
I was rather sad that I had just not been pleased with the size.

42Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:30 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Illusion -- nothing wrong with have personal preference. For what it's worth, I do agree that this horse is overly short for most people's purposes, and I really wish the Ili horse was still available for this reason. I adore all horses, from massive draft horses to small ponies, but as someone who has ridden both smaller and larger horses in my life, I admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the former. One of the best rides I've ever had was on a half-Arabian/half-Welsh pony who was only 14 hands -- he had smoothest canter I've ever experienced to this day. Not to mention a shorter mount means you don't have as far to fall... lol.

GF -- I'm sure it would work just fine for that purpose! Smile

43Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:02 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Illusion wrote:it is a very beautiful horse, no doubt about that.
I was rather sad that I had just not been pleased with the size.

Thanks. I know exactly how annoying it can be when something is close to perfection but not quite. Whatever the minor flaw, it just gnaws at you every time you see it...

skywalkersaga wrote:One of the best rides I've ever had was on a half-Arabian/half-Welsh pony who was only 14 hands -- he had smoothest canter I've ever experienced to this day. Not to mention a shorter mount means you don't have as far to fall... lol.

GF -- I'm sure it would work just fine for that purpose! Smile

That was funny. And thanks for confirming.

44Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for sharing the pic.... it makes it clear that it's pretty short next to a 1/6 male figure. Though I feel the horse is absolutely fine for, say, a medieval lady's mount. Horses prior to the early modern period were generally a lot shorter than they are now. From what I understand, the majority of ridden horses in the medieval period would have only been somewhere in the range of 14-15.2 hands. That's why I feel these 'Hanoverians', while misnamed and too short from our modern perspective, may still have some use for certain historical time periods, at least.

If I remember correctly, Henry VIII actually banned the breeding of horses shorter than 15hh in an attempt to increase the size of the average horse so it’s all his fault! XD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_of_Horses_Act_1535_%26_Horses_Act_1540

But yeah, it’s one of my pet hates to see historical movies and games set pre-Tudor times and everyone’s galloping about on Friesians or Shires. Mad

45Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:45 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lynkhart wrote:

If I remember correctly, Henry VIII actually banned the breeding of horses shorter than 15hh in an attempt to increase the size of the average horse so it’s all his fault! XD

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_of_Horses_Act_1535_%26_Horses_Act_1540

But yeah, it’s one of my pet hates to see historical movies and games set pre-Tudor times and everyone’s galloping about on Friesians or Shires. Mad

Yes, definitely -- blame him! Razz

And ahh, I feel you -- as much as I ADORE Friesians and Shires, the horses of that era simply would not have been as hugely tall as they are today. Shires, for one, didn't even exist as a breed yet at that point (though their predecessor, the Old English Black, or some similar variation, may have), and while there have been Friesian horses around since late Roman times at least, the Friesians of the medieval period would have probably only been about 15 hands or so and a lot more 'cob-like' in stature -- definitely not be the extremely tall, long-legged sporthorse variation seen today.

That said, I don't mind them at all being used for fantasy purposes. :')

46Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:36 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
In Henry VIII's defense, he probably couldn't have been carried by a smaller animal. So he was just... looking out for the horses... Smile Cool fact, thanks Christine.

47Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Laughing True! Although, technically smaller horses and ponies are very good weight carriers - a lot of people see massive Draught breeds like Clydesdales and Shires and assume that they’d be ideal for larger riders but as they were bred to pull, not carry, they’re actually fairly limited in what weight they can happily cope with. A short, stout 13hh cob type will do much better with a heavier rider than a hulking 18 hander!

That said, I still want to ride a Clydesdale one day - every time I see the ridden classes at the RHS it makes me so jealous!

Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 48128259382_2a1208779e_zRidden Clydesdales by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

But yeah, for fantasy purposes anything goes really. XD

48Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:02 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Here’s a blast from the past to prove the point - teenage me on a lovely wee Highland called Jazz who was probably about 13.2/14hh - she happily carried me all day on the beach, breaking into canter as and when she felt like it and at one point actually managed to take her bridle off while I was still on board, which was...interesting. Laughing

Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 3044446354_8ef2de529f_zMe & Debs on the beach by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

49Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand - Page 2 Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:31 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's one adorable and cheeky looking Highland pony, and teenage you looks like you're having a blast! :'D

And I'm with you, riding a Clydesdale would be amazing. I've ridden a Friesian and several large-ish cobs, but not had the Clydesdale experience yet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum