OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 21]

321Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:38 am

AsianPerzuasion

Whoa thanks for all the info! I truly appreciate it!

322Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
AsianPerzuasion wrote:Whoa thanks for all the info! I truly appreciate it!

You are very welcome. I do hope it is helpful, just wish the others had chimed in with their experience.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

323Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:57 pm

skywalkersaga

Sorry, GF.... been busy. I didn't chime in because I felt I didn't have much else to add.

I agree with you that it's probably better to repaint a head to match the body at this point , because it's very difficult (or impossible) to make a tbleague body lighter than it is to make it darker. (Other than potentially using gooboo's oil paint method, which I don't have experience with so I can't really comment on.)

324Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:00 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Sorry, GF.... been busy. I didn't chime in because I felt I didn't have much else to add.

I agree with you that it's probably better to repaint a head to match the body at this point , because it's very difficult (or impossible) to make a tbleague body lighter than it is to make it darker. (Other than potentially using gooboo's oil paint method, which I don't have experience with so I can't really commend on.)

No apology necessary, and I hope all goes well with you. I just recall you being frustrated trying to lighten a body -- but I think you were trying to actually make it white, which is not quite the case here, and thought some of that experience might be pertinent. I, too, feel uneasy commenting on methods that I have not used myself (like RIT dye or oil paint).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

325Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:15 am

CaseyTong

thanks for the tips and tricks guys
but did you all tried out using gundam markers (real touch) on the Phicen figures?

326Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:55 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Sorry, GF.... been busy. I didn't chime in because I felt I didn't have much else to add.

I agree with you that it's probably better to repaint a head to match the body at this point , because it's very difficult (or impossible) to make a tbleague body lighter than it is to make it darker. (Other than potentially using gooboo's oil paint method, which I don't have experience with so I can't really commend on.)

No apology necessary, and I hope all goes well with you. I just recall you being frustrated trying to lighten a body -- but I think you were trying to actually make it white, which is not quite the case here, and thought some of that experience might be pertinent. I, too, feel uneasy commenting on methods that I have not used myself (like RIT dye or oil paint).

Well, my immediate need to lighten a body to turn it white is moot since I picked up one of those Sinful Suzi bodies a while back. ;D  But it's still good to know if there are alternative methods for future..

CaseyTong wrote:thanks for the tips and tricks guys
but did you all tried out using gundam markers (real touch) on the Phicen figures?

Hi there! You're welcome. And sorry, I'm not familiar with those markers... ?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

327Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:28 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very cool! gives me hope yet to match Jake's body!

328Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:51 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father

I have not tried Gundam markers, but if you read my adventures and misadventures in trying to paint body hair and then the Darth Maul design, most markers will not work well. I don't believe these would, but I don't know. You can always experiment, for example on the part of the neck of the TBLeague body near the neck post, which will always be obscured by the head. Remember to remove the protective powder first (for example with a wet q-tip), and then to replace it afterwards, after you are done experimenting. You might want to leave the experiment overnight to make sure the marker has a better chance of drying/curing -- if any.

329Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 am

CaseyTong

GubernatorFan wrote:

I have not tried Gundam markers, but if you read my adventures and misadventures in trying to paint body hair and then the Darth Maul design, most markers will not work well. I don't believe these would, but I don't know. You can always experiment, for example on the part of the neck of the TBLeague body near the neck post, which will always be obscured by the head. Remember to remove the protective powder first (for example with a wet q-tip), and then to replace it afterwards, after you are done experimenting. You might want to leave the experiment overnight to make sure the marker has a better chance of drying/curing -- if any.

Hmm...  I'll try it
Oh yes...  About the powder you are talking about.
After cleaning with wet q-tip and applying the color,  should I use back some baby powder on it?

330Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:50 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
CaseyTong wrote:Hmm...  I'll try it Oh yes...  About the powder you are talking about. After cleaning with wet q-tip and applying the color,  should I use back some baby powder on it?

A variety of powders work. I use a silicone finishing powder (pictured in the painting nipples tutorial), but baby powder and corn starch are all said to get the job done. You don't want to leave any part of the rubbery surface (which turns out to be TPE, not silicone, as we recently found out) unprotected for a long time, especially when you are handling it. Of course, it has to be off if you are painting the body or a design on it, until that process is complete and everything is reasonably dry.

331Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:08 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GF -- what exactly is the reason why you don't want to leave the powder off too long? I've never actually known....

332Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:GF -- what exactly is the reason why you don't want to leave the powder off too long? I've never actually known....

Good question. The body can become tacky, possibly even without much handling, which would make it odd to handle, easier to stain, even more of a dust and lint magnet, but, most importantly, it might make the rubbery material less resilient and possibly even cause it to degrade. At least so I gather... So keeping the material clean and dry (and the powder helps with both) seems to be a priority.

333Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:24 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:GF -- what exactly is the reason why you don't want to leave the powder off too long? I've never actually known....

Good question. The body can become tacky, possibly even without much handling, which would make it odd to handle, easier to stain, even more of a dust and lint magnet, but, most importantly, it might make the rubbery material less resilient and possibly even cause it to degrade. At least so I gather... So keeping the material clean and dry (and the powder helps with both) seems to be a priority.

Ok, thanks for explaining. I wasn't sure if it was actually protecting it from degrading or not, so thanks for confirming.

334Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:25 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:

All of this, S.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 C8485110

335Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

All of this, S.

Thank you!

I have one body that I failed to put the powder back onto ....it's now been like that for over a year. It's been kept in a plastic bag, but still.... curious what detrimental effects it might have had on it.

336Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:31 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you! I have one body that I failed to put the powder back onto ....it's now been like that for over a year. It's been kept in a plastic bag, but still.... curious what detrimental effects it might have had on it.

It is probably ok, but it might have gotten a bit tacky by now. It helps -- to a point -- including a silica pack or two in the sealed plastic bag (just as TBLeague includes them in their boxes). I recently dug out a TBLeague body I had stored this way for a long time and not used, and it had gotten a little tacky. Perhaps I failed to powder it properly after extensive handling in the first place, or perhaps this is what happens after long storage. But after some re-powdering, looks like there was no harm done.

337Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Oil paint on M35 Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:16 pm

mvde27

So......
After my first failed attempt of putting on too much paint I tried again.
I was able to clean off the body with GAMSOL to bring the body back to original state.
I washed the body again then after with soap and water.

I then put the oil paint on again thin with a brush covering the whole body. I let it dry then for 72hours.
I was then able to put on another coat and let that dry for 72hours.

Once it dried, and I mean not wet or too tacky, I was able to use the make-up brush to lightly take off wheat seamed like the dust left over on the body and this was the result
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 4fa17e10

338Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:17 pm

mvde27

mvde27 wrote:So......
I was able to clean off the body with GAMSOL to bring the body back to original state.

I then put the oil paint on again thin with a brush covering the whole body. I let it dry then for 72hours.

Once it dried, and I mean not wet or too tacky, I was able to use the make-up brush to lightly take off wheat seamed like the dust left over on the body and this was the result

So its not "Stark" white by any means but the process is tried and true.

339Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:20 pm

mvde27

mvde27 wrote:
mvde27 wrote:So......

So its not "Stark" white by any means but the process is tried and true.
Im not sure this photo does the figure color justice as it looks a little blue/grey but it is more on the white side.

The question now is....
do I add another coat toes how white I can get it? Like wearing clothing color white?

Also, the other body I am going to mold and cast with the armature inside, wish me luck.

340Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
To me it seems to have turned out well!

From what I recall of gooboo's experiment, he said that putting a second coat on doesn't seem to adhere and might lift the underlying paint off, unfortunately. So if I were you, I might just leave it as it is.

Does it have to be stark white for the character? To me it looks just white enough...

What are you planning to do with the mold for the other one?

341Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:51 pm

gooboo

It did come off when I tried rubbing the paint on, but since he seems to be brushing it on I'm not sure what will happen.

342Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:30 pm

mvde27

I am making a guardian figure.

The other one is going to be molded, armature removed, and then cast in silicone with white pigment.

343Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:40 pm

troycruzy

This forum is a literal godsend. I want to make an attack titan and an armored titan to go along with the figma AoT figures, so that it is more in scale. Someone in a discord gave the idea of phicen bodies, and for the attack titan it seemed like throwing one of my headsculpts on an arnold body would do the trick. For the Armored titan, though, achieving the red color and detail in the musculature seemed impossible given that its on that TPE. This forum seemed to have given me a way to do it, maybe even given me a way to add more detail to the attack titan so its not so boring. I will be sure to update if anyone is interested.

For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about:

Attack Titan
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Attack10

Armored Titan
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Armore11

(Please let me know if the pictures aren't showing up. I have never joined a forum before and I don't know what the hosting stuff is all about.)

For the Armored titan I think I'm going to 3D print some or most of the armored pieces and paint them then attach them that way. If you guys have any insight as to what bodies would be best, please let me know. I need to save some money to get the bodies and I am not all too familiar with 1/6 scale figures so I'm sure someone might know a more muscly body to use for either one of these guys before I start.

344Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:52 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
mvde27 wrote:I am making a guardian figure. The other one is going to be molded,  armature removed,  and then cast in silicone with white pigment.

I think it worked out very nicely. How did you paint the dark figure? So you are going to "flay"/strip this second, darker body for the armature? I applaud your adventurous enterprise, but hope there is something seriously wrong with it before taking such a drastic step. Anyway, it would be interesting to see how it turns out.

troycruzy wrote:This forum is a literal godsend. I want to make an attack titan and an armored titan to go along with the figma AoT figures, so that it is more in scale. Someone in a discord gave the idea of phicen bodies, and for the attack titan it seemed like throwing one of my headsculpts on an arnold body would do the trick. For the Armored titan, though, achieving the red color and detail in the musculature seemed impossible given that its on that TPE. This forum seemed to have given me a way to do it, maybe even given me a way to add more detail to the attack titan so its not so boring. I will be sure to update if anyone is interested.

For the Armored titan I think I'm going to 3D print some or most of the armored pieces and paint them then attach them that way. If you guys have any insight as to what bodies would be best, please let me know. I need to save some money to get the bodies and I am not all too familiar with 1/6 scale figures so I'm sure someone might know a more muscly body to use for either one of these guys before I start.

I don't know if the most muscular TBLeague bodies (M34 and especially M35 are the most massive) are quite colossal enough for titans (then again I don't know how large you need/want them to be), but you can check out more information on them all, with links, here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3013-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-with-steel-skeleton-catalog-updated-continually

For coloring the bodies, check out the posts above. I can vouch for the oil pastel technique, but you have other options too.

You can certainly 3D print armor, but perhaps experiment with some easily shapeable material on the actual body before doing that. Or, just an idea, not sure how well it will work in practice, if the armor is not meant to be stiff hard material (I have no idea what is called for for these characters), with a lot of patience, you might be able to build up such an exo-muscular (?) structure out of something like silicon glue right on top of the body (it will be reasonably resilient and flexible -- and possibly detachable, in principle).

345Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 am

troycruzy

@GF The look for the Titans isn’t really supposed to be huge in mass, but just muscly and toned. I wish there was a skinnier toned body because that would be perfect. Like a m32/33 torso with the m34/35 legs. The main problem with the bigger bodies is the pecks, they are just too large. I don’t know if I’d be able to cut them down or if I’ll be forced to use a m32/33. Id rather have a toned body than a ripped massive one.

Also, the silicon glue is an awesome idea. I definitely want to try 3D printing some parts, like the chest plate (only because there is so many lines and details), but I’m not too good at modeling things to fit other things. So if worst comes to worst, I’ll just try all silicon glue armor. Might even use the glue for pieces in/around joint areas and use the printer for wider areas with less articulation.

346Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Of these, M33 has nice musculature that is not too bulky; M32 has defined musculature too, but very tight, and probably not suitable for your purposes. Perhaps this narrows the choice to M33 or M34? The flexibility and removeability of the silicone glue is why I suggested it -- you could sculpt it right on the body, and then if needed you could eventually yank if off. This is somewhat, but not entirely theoretical, of course. Given the organic look of the titan armor, I'm thinking it will be a suitable approach.

347Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:30 pm

CaseyTong

Yes...  I have tried Gundam markers (real touch pen) on it and it works perfectly, after apply then marker use q-tip to dab dry the area
I can't post it here though coz is on the nipples area.
GubernatorFan wrote:
CaseyTong wrote:Hmm...  I'll try it Oh yes...  About the powder you are talking about. After cleaning with wet q-tip and applying the color,  should I use back some baby powder on it?

A variety of powders work. I use a silicone finishing powder (pictured in the painting nipples tutorial), but baby powder and corn starch are all said to get the job done. You don't want to leave any part of the rubbery surface (which turns out to be TPE, not silicone, as we recently found out) unprotected for a long time, especially when you are handling it. Of course, it has to be off if you are painting the body or a design on it, until that process is complete and everything is reasonably dry.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Screen11
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Img_2013

348Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hi Casey, thank you for experimenting and reporting back. I am testing it as we speak, but will have to get some real touch markers to replicate your experiment properly.

349Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 14 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:23 am

CaseyTong

Need me to post it at the nipples section?
GubernatorFan wrote:Hi Casey, thank you for experimenting and reporting back. I am testing it as we speak, but will have to get some real touch markers to replicate your experiment properly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum