OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 21]

401Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:19 pm

Ovy

Yeah nice one, although don't underestimate good powder, if rubbed in enough you won't really see a powdered texture but a shine. And I wouldn't recommend the use of resin dust, haha.

Last week I experimented with color pigment powder on a body, has this been covered here yet?

402Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:31 pm

skywalkersaga

Ovy wrote:
Last week I experimented with color pigment powder on a body, has this been covered here yet?

Someone mentioned using crushed pastels mixed with water, but I don't think anyone has brought up colour pigment specifically. Would be interested to know your results?

403Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:44 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Last week I experimented with color pigment powder on a body, has this been covered here yet?

I don't think so. Go ahead and post on it, if you will. I'm interested to see what you have to say and the result.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

404Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:07 pm

Ovy

Well it is a very fast method I think, but not for the faint of heart who panic at the idea of slightly staining the non visible inside of some clothing. If I find time tomorrow I will go more into detail and provide more pics. There are quite some pros and cons.

NSFW, adult content

I would also still have to censor them because of the very dangerous imagery:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f20/20/01/14/82/img_2099.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f20/20/01/14/82/img_2100.jpg
I think the blending of colors and highlighting/shading at least is better than some oil pastel methods. But yeah more of that tomorrow I am tire.

405Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:10 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the preview, Ovy. It looks quite promising. I hope you find time tomorrow (or when you can) to tell us more about what exactly you used and what technique you applied, etc.

406Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:36 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Ovy wrote:Yeah nice one, although don't underestimate good powder, if rubbed in enough you won't really see a powdered texture but a shine. And I wouldn't recommend the use of resin dust, haha.

Yeah, the resin dust was just to give me an idea of what it looked like powdered Laughing , I still want to hear some scientific reason powder would be needed to protect these bodies, I think it's only used in transport to stop figures getting stuck to their clamshell plastic trays or bags etc.. and clothing. I don't think it does anything to actually protect the bodies once displayed (except for not sticking to the clothes). I've been reading a bunch of info on the net about silicone rubber production and its properties, lets just say it's bloody complicated!! affraid So here's the simplest source I found, typically wikipedia of course! Wink You might want to scroll down to properties of silicone rubber if all the chemistry gives you a headache, and yes this is still by far the simplest explanation of the processes used in production, properties and uses etc..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_rubber

skywalkersaga wrote:
Someone mentioned using crushed pastels mixed with water, but I don't think anyone has brought up colour pigment specifically. Would be interested to know your results?

I was using them with silicone oil not water, looks like water but oil pastels are not water soluble hence oil floating on water in spills at sea and still being able to burn etc..
Unless you're talking about another type of pastel, GTF mentioned some water soluble types that can just be washed off, makes me think of chalk pastels.

407Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:41 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Shovelchop - yes, in this instance I'm referring to 'soft' pastels ... similar to chalk pastels, only with much stronger and higher quality colour pigments.

I've used oil pastels and they work ok for my needs, but I'm still always curious about other methods. Putting the soft pastels directly onto the body still leaves some residue, but someone has previously mentioned a method that grinds the soft pastel into dust and then mixes it with a bit of water and a drop of liquid dishsoap (so that it mixed better with the water). This gave a more 'watercolour'-ish result on the body. But Ovy has just said he's tried applying the powdered artist pigments themselves, not even soft pastels but the actual pigments. So I'm curious to know more about that method. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

408Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
skywalkersaga wrote:Shovelchop - yes, in this instance I'm referring to 'soft' pastels ... similar to chalk pastels, only with much stronger and higher quality colour pigments.

I've used oil pastels and they work ok for my needs, but I'm still always curious about other methods. Putting the soft pastels directly onto the body still leaves some residue, but someone has previously mentioned a method that grinds the soft pastel into dust and then mixes it with a bit of water and a drop of liquid dishsoap (so that it mixed better with the water). This gave a more 'watercolour'-ish result on the body. But Ovy has just said he's tried applying the powdered artist pigments themselves, not even soft pastels but the actual pigments. So I'm curious to know more about that method. : )

I see, sorry I haven't gone into too much depth reading this thread, I have oil pastels to hand so just looked for any info of dos and don'ts using those. Thanks for explaining it to lazy me! pirat

409Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
shovelchop81 wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Shovelchop - yes, in this instance I'm referring to 'soft' pastels ... similar to chalk pastels, only with much stronger and higher quality colour pigments.

I see, sorry I haven't gone into too much depth reading this thread, I have oil pastels to hand so just looked for any info of dos and don'ts using those. Thanks for explaining it to lazy me! pirat

Don't worry at all, there's a lot of pages to sift through and it's easy to miss some of it. I have to constantly go back and reference this thread because people have done so many interesting experiments but I can't always remember all the materials used. It's a great resource! : )

410Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm

Ovy

Ovy
NSFW -- adult

Ok, Vallejo pigment experiment.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211202-175920

It's simple but also complex. It was just wild experimenting without a goal or empiric studies.
Started with an s29 I once experimentally colored with a pastel powder stick, extracted from pastel chalk. It was brown and split into reddish and very dark pigments. It had really dark stains on some areas. Wasn't too bad but I put the body away for some time.

I recently cleaned it with some outdoor body wash detergent. It was not completely cleaned but had an even color and all the dark stains gone. Don't know if all this is relevant to the adhesion quality of the pigment I added later.

Actually wanted to try the Make Up powder method, but I don't have this stuff (nudebynature)  and it's too (censored) expensive to just buy it to colour dolls.

So I used Vallejo Pigments on the cleaned body, might be similar I thought.
One can of Pigments is enough for a lifetime of weathering everything, so I could spare a bit. I did not use those regular artist pigments, because they were invented by the evil gods of darkness to torment artists and everyone living with them.

Just dabbed the finger in the pigment can and spread it evenly on the body. It's very fast.
Made it a bit wet, but don't use too much water. Also used window leather to rub it it.  If it is completely covered, a lot will come off though.

It didn't stain when trying tissue, but it lightly transferred color onto the leather.
I tried using Ethanol, it blended the color transitions very smooth. It evaporated fast, after that I cleaned it with water. Because the figure  smelled like an alcoholic. Didn't really lose color anymore. Baby Powder after drying, reduces staining a lot.

Oh and I tried oil paint too after all that, but didn't have the patience to let it cure/dry and washed it off again, didn't change much about the powder cover.

So.

Pro:
Nice natural looking blending and shading, alcohol helps with that

Easy mixing with other colors

Very fast

Probably completely removable again with the right detergent

Con:
Slightly transfers to some materials

Colour Covering is not that strong

Very dark colours probably not doable. I tried it with very dark pigment on another body, but most washed off. Good for tanning though.

And it's a bit messy, use safe environment

Tried on a broken white coverall, at the seems you can see slight brown traces.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211202-173245

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211202-174055

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211202-174421

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211202-175027-2

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211202-175359

https://i.postimg.cc/SRGCPZV2/PSX-20211202-175553.jpg

411Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:55 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting technique and results. It looks pretty good.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 C8485110

412Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:19 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, interesting technique and promising results. Thanks for sharing. There is a possible benefit to this being (possibly) reversible. Technically, it may be possible to (largely) remove even oil pastel with enough determined washing with soap (and perhaps more effectively with other means). The RIT dye method is perhaps not reversible, but it seems to yield variable results. So this might be a viable alternative. How long has it been since you experimented, Ovy, and is there any fading to the color and (a different matter) any less transfer onto other materials? Interesting presentation, too; I would have censored a bit more on principle, but very artistic.

413Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:37 am

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Interesting technique and results. It looks pretty good.
Thanks, it was worth a try at least.

GubernatorFan wrote:I agree, interesting technique and promising results. Thanks for sharing. There is a possible benefit to this being (possibly) reversible. Technically, it may be possible to (largely) remove even oil pastel with enough determined washing with soap (and perhaps more effectively with other means). The RIT dye method is perhaps not reversible, but it seems to yield variable results. So this might be a viable alternative. How long has it been since you experimented, Ovy, and is there any fading to the color and (a different matter) any less transfer onto other materials? Interesting presentation, too; I would have censored a bit more on principle, but very artistic.
Around a week. And I think the color tranfering mostly stopped one day, when enough pigment was wiped off probably. Pigments can still be manipulated a bit. As I say, not for the faint of heart who panic at the thought of slight color transfer.

And yeah I used random phone stickers, haha. The things I do for a family friendly forum full of peaceful imagery and themes.

Here the other figure with darker pigment. Used a head I printed too large to experiment, as this is the head intended for the figure.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-072050

Tried coloring it with the same pigment, thought it could be a way for a more fitting colour, but it dries very differently and more like a stone statue. This is the figure before  powder treatment, with grainy pigments on it.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-094844

Here treated with the powder.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-084042

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-083233

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-084331

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-084515

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-090158

Next to the other figure.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-090303

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-090442

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 PSX-20211204-090550

Overall the pigment did not stick good enough and the colour transfer was too frustrating. Didn't expect much from this method but now I know at least. But don't know if I could pull of the same look with pastell or oil pastels, sadly.

414Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:48 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The things you do for us are appreciated, but I think you should employ even more of these random phone stickers, your choices being so cool and artistic. Wink
That said, the look is certainly stunning, but you're right, one would want something practical, that remains effective, without impeding articulation or causing too much transfer. I doubt you would be able to get this type of texture with oil pastel, but if you get lucky with your pastels or if you persevere with the color blending between them (which is difficult but not completely impossible), you will probably get something close to these colors. From using the oil pastels and cosmetic sponge method for years, I have the impression that the surface can take only so many layers, so when you try this with oil pastel, try to plan ahead on ideally just 2-3 layers (not counting any spot treatments that may be needed). Maybe first experiment elsewhere on what colors (if any) are required to blend a color you like. I'm often too impatient with such things, but that is not the way to go.

415Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:22 am

Ghost808

Ghost808
Quick question about gundam markers...

Are they blendable, to create colour variations, or are you stuck with the static colours available?
The stock colours available from gundam are quite limited, and not necessarily ideal for light, natural skin tones (I'm looking to paint nipples, freckles, blemishes on pale/suntan TBL bodies, so need some warm pinks/yellowish browns).

Sorry if this has been answered already, I don't get much time to study the threads in detail lately.

P.s. thank you for doing all these tests and putting this thread together. It's excellent.

416Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ghost808 wrote:Quick question about gundam markers...

Are they blendable, to create colour variations, or are you stuck with the static colours available?
The stock colours available from gundam are quite limited, and not necessarily ideal for light, natural skin tones (I'm looking to paint nipples, freckles, blemishes on pale/suntan TBL bodies, so need some warm pinks/yellowish browns).

Sorry if this has been answered already, I don't get much time to study the threads in detail lately.

P.s. thank you for doing all these tests and putting this thread together. It's excellent.

You are welcome -- for my part.
As for Gundam Real Touch Markers, the basic answer is no, they are not readily blendable, at least not in the normal sense of the word. Remember, this is also a fairly unusual material for coloring, so it is impressive enough they work at all. The member who pointed them out to me as a solution discussed possibilities of mixing them (presumably having removed the ink/paint from the marker first) with the help of Mr.Color Thinner -- I bought that but still haven't figured out how to even experiment with it. So, theoretically there is a workaround. Also, the two sets of Gundam Real Touch Markers include a "Shade Off Marker" which appears to be intended as a colorless blender, but I'm not sure how to use it in this instance. Perhaps there are some YouTube tutorials that would shed more light on the matter. Someone asked a question about it on Amazon, which was answered as follows: "The clear is used for blending. You can move around the ink from the other pens with it for, well blending, or weathering effects." Presumably that also requires "extracting the paint." The brown provided in Set 2 can be used for natural enough effects. A single light application (soaked up immediately with a cotton swab or paper towel) would give you a slightly lighter color than two or more applications (you should still soak up the excess liquid carefully and quickly). It may take some time (and additional careful soaking up/static massage with paper towels) until a body you have colored with the real touch markers becomes completely safe to handle (no transfer at all, no smudge at all). I just checked on my real touch-colored custom Darth Maul 3.0 before posting this answer, and he is in perfect condition, colors have not faded, and there is no transfer or smudging. Do remember that these markers don't appear to be a very successful solution for painting hard plastic (they can be rubbed off -- at the very least while relatively fresh, haven't checked since). Of course here we are talking about coloring extensive areas. More limited and specific application like nipples, moles, etc is probably going to give less issues and become stable quicker.

Set 1 includes: Gray 1, Gray 2, Blue 1, Red 1, Orange 1, and "Shade Off Marker" (also called "Grading Marker" or "Blurring Marker")
Set 2 includes: Gray 3, Brown 1, Green 1, Yellow, Pink 1, and "Shade Off Marker" (also called "Grading Marker" or "Blurring Marker")

417Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:22 pm

Ghost808

Ghost808
GubernatorFan wrote:
Ghost808 wrote:Quick question about gundam markers...

You are welcome -- for my part.
As for Gundam Real Touch Markers, the basic answer is no, they are not readily blendable, at least not in the normal sense of the word. Remember, this is also a fairly unusual material for coloring, so it is impressive enough they work at all. The member who pointed them out to me as a solution discussed possibilities of mixing them (presumably having removed the ink/paint from the marker first) with the help of Mr.Color Thinner -- I bought that but still haven't figured out how to even experiment with it. So, theoretically there is a workaround. Also, the two sets of Gundam Real Touch Markers include a "Shade Off Marker" which appears to be intended as a colorless blender, but I'm not sure how to use it in this instance. Perhaps there are some YouTube tutorials that would shed more light on the matter. Someone asked a question about it on Amazon, which was answered as follows: "The clear is used for blending. You can move around the ink from the other pens with it for, well blending, or weathering effects." Presumably that also requires "extracting the paint." The brown provided in Set 2 can be used for natural enough effects. A single light application (soaked up immediately with a cotton swab or paper towel) would give you a slightly lighter color than two or more applications (you should still soak up the excess liquid carefully and quickly). It may take some time (and additional careful soaking up/static massage with paper towels) until a body you have colored with the real touch markers becomes completely safe to handle (no transfer at all, no smudge at all). I just checked on my real touch-colored custom Darth Maul 3.0 before posting this answer, and he is in perfect condition, colors have not faded, and there is no transfer or smudging. Do remember that these markers don't appear to be a very successful solution for painting hard plastic (they can be rubbed off -- at the very least while relatively fresh, haven't checked since). Of course here we are talking about coloring extensive areas. More limited and specific application like nipples, moles, etc is probably going to give less issues and become stable quicker.

Set 1 includes: Gray 1, Gray 2, Blue 1, Red 1, Orange 1, and "Shade Off Marker" (also called "Grading Marker" or "Blurring Marker")
Set 2 includes: Gray 3, Brown 1, Green 1, Yellow, Pink 1, and "Shade Off Marker" (also called "Grading Marker" or "Blurring Marker")
Thanks for the detailed answer. I figured they might only provide a fairly static colour. 
Still, maybe with some playing around, I can get the results I'm after. I think I'll try them out. I'll also look more into this grading marker too.

Your maul custom is excellent BTW.

Thanks again.

418Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ghost808 wrote:Thanks for the detailed answer. I figured they might only provide a fairly static colour. 
Still, maybe with some playing around, I can get the results I'm after. I think I'll try them out. I'll also look more into this grading marker too.

Your maul custom is excellent BTW. Thanks again.

You are very welcome. (And thank you for the kind words.) I hope you find the experience successful and rewarding. I'm thinking that if you have the color you need, and if your application is suitably consistent, it might be even better than oil pastels. Keep in mind, it is harder (perhaps impossible) to undo. It is definitely superior to my other experiments when it comes to painting/drawing details on the body (oil pastels lack precision, other markers either smudge or ultimately potentially/partially crack). The fact these markers have to applicators, one bigger/wider and one smaller/thinner (under the bigger cap!) is also helpful, although there is still a limit as to how fine a detail you can make. If I were you, I would do some research and experiment elsewhere with the "grading"/"blurring"/"shade off" marker just in case they do provide an effective solution to the blending issue. When it comes to the bodies, you can always test with some small application on the top of the neck, near the neck post, which would always be covered up by the head sculpt -- that is what I did.

419Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Ghost808

Ghost808
I went with oil pastels in the end, and overall I'm pleased with the effect. So thanks all for your experiments and trial and error.

Sadly I'm not happy with my colour choices. As such, I need to ask another question...

Am I right in thinking gamsol is essentially just an odorless white spirit? And if so, can I use regular white spirit? I have a gallon of the regular stuff going spare, so would rather avoid paying out for a fancy artists spirit.
That being said, I also don't want to melt my figures!!

Anyone tried regular hardware store white spirit?

Thanks.

420Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:49 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ghost808 wrote:I went with oil pastels in the end, and overall I'm pleased with the effect. So thanks all for your experiments and trial and error.

Sadly I'm not happy with my colour choices. As such, I need to ask another question...

Am I right in thinking gamsol is essentially just an odorless white spirit? And if so, can I use regular white spirit? I have a gallon of the regular stuff going spare, so would rather avoid paying out for a fancy artists spirit.
That being said, I also don't want to melt my figures!!

Anyone tried regular hardware store white spirit?

Thanks.

If you are trying to get rid of the oil pastel coloring you applied, before you try any chemicals consider other options:

1. Would applying a different oil pastel color (or two) on top and trying to blend that in make a sufficient improvement toward your desired goal? Oil pastels do not blend very easily, but they do blend.
2. Depending on just how successfully you ensconced the oil pastel into the TPE surface, repeated washing with soap and water may eventually undo or partly undo (fade?) the coloring. It takes a lot of time and effort, and you want to keep it gentle.

After our exchange, I tried painting a body to match an African American head (been planning that for a while), using the Gundam real touch markers. The process was working, but the brown was too warm a color for the head I was trying to match, and it was not a head I wanted to repaint. So I gave up on that, and proceeded to color it with oil pastel. I thought Van Dyke brown would be a close match, but it was not -- it ended up being too dark on the body, even once I applied the protective powder (which created a slightly lighter and cooler effect). So I washed off the powder again, and without trying to remove the oil pastel coloring, applied a layer of olive brown oil pastel over it, and then rubbed it in thoroughly, just like I was coloring the body from scratch. The result was somewhere in-between the two colors, and a pretty good match.

421Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:04 am

Ghost808

Ghost808
GubernatorFan wrote:

If you are trying to get rid of the oil pastel coloring you applied, before you try any chemicals consider other options:

1. Would applying a different oil pastel color (or two) on top and trying to blend that in make a sufficient improvement toward your desired goal? Oil pastels do not blend very easily, but they do blend.
2. Depending on just how successfully you ensconced the oil pastel into the TPE surface, repeated washing with soap and water may eventually undo or partly undo (fade?) the coloring. It takes a lot of time and effort, and you want to keep it gentle.

After our exchange, I tried painting a body to match an African American head (been planning that for a while), using the Gundam real touch markers. The process was working, but the brown was too warm a color for the head I was trying to match, and it was not a head I wanted to repaint. So I gave up on that, and proceeded to color it with oil pastel. I thought Van Dyke brown would be a close match, but it was not -- it ended up being too dark on the body, even once I applied the protective powder (which created a slightly lighter and cooler effect). So I washed off the powder again, and without trying to remove the oil pastel coloring, applied a layer of olive brown oil pastel over it, and then rubbed it in thoroughly, just like I was coloring the body from scratch. The result was somewhere in-between the two colors, and a pretty good match.
Hi Gub,

Thanks. I have had some good results with blending, but as you say, it's not the easiest. It requires a lot of time and care.

Sadly I overdid the blending, and ended up with too dark a colour. I also had a bit of colour bleed around the nipple (which I think is actually where I spread the colour around too much in the wiping off process. 
I used your hole punch template technique, which is great, but I think I need to go slightly smaller next time.

Another reason I want to strip some of the colour off, is that I had some oil pastel residue on my left hand when I picked up the figure, and innadvertently smeared a small strip of rosewood over the figures butt! DOH! Lesson learned.

I've given it a soapy, vigorous, but careful wash. Sadly it seems I did too good a job at working the pastel in.

The annoying thing is, I have a broken old S09 that I test everything on. Painting on that went PERFECTLY! Soon as I move onto my good quality figures....oops! Oh well😄

I might test basic white spirit on my old figure, and see how it goes. I'll update with my results.

P.s. I'd love to see your results with the African American recolour.

422Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ghost808 wrote:Hi Gub,

Thanks. I have had some good results with blending, but as you say, it's not the easiest. It requires a lot of time and care.

Sadly I overdid the blending, and ended up with too dark a colour. I also had a bit of colour bleed around the nipple (which I think is actually where I spread the colour around too much in the wiping off process. 
I used your hole punch template technique, which is great, but I think I need to go slightly smaller next time.

Another reason I want to strip some of the colour off, is that I had some oil pastel residue on my left hand when I picked up the figure, and innadvertently smeared a small strip of rosewood over the figures butt! DOH! Lesson learned.

I've given it a soapy, vigorous, but careful wash. Sadly it seems I did too good a job at working the pastel in.

The annoying thing is, I have a broken old S09 that I test everything on. Painting on that went PERFECTLY! Soon as I move onto my good quality figures....oops! Oh well😄

I might test basic white spirit on my old figure, and see how it goes. I'll update with my results.

P.s. I'd love to see your results with the African American recolour.

Sorry to hear it is not working. Again, I would not recommend using chemicals, but maybe I'm just being overly cautious. I have some vague notion that it might be ok to use odorless spirits or something like that. Check out this thread, it might have something about this somewhere in it (in a hurry right now, haven't searched) --
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t215-staining-and-cleaning-continuously-updated

I would still go on with multiple washing; when I say be gentle, I just mean don't use anything really abrasive to scrub; also, don't use extremely hot/boiling water.

Also, the solution might be just applying another layer of pastel and blending that in, rather than trying to remove the underlayer. What, if I may ask, are you trying to achieve? As for the nipples, yes, save that for last, and be careful that any darker pastel color does not get anywhere it is not supposed to. Wipe the "stencils" between each use.

423Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:43 am

Ghost808

Ghost808
GubernatorFan wrote:

Sorry to hear it is not working. Again, I would not recommend using chemicals, but maybe I'm just being overly cautious. I have some vague notion that it might be ok to use odorless spirits or something like that. Check out this thread, it might have something about this somewhere in it (in a hurry right now, haven't searched) --
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t215-staining-and-cleaning-continuously-updated.
Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

On this occasion, due to the accidental smudging and the halo of colour around the areola, which weren't budging with soap and vigorous rubbing. I decided to try out white spirit.
I used a basic low odour hardware store brand I already had.

I applied a very tiny amount via cotton bud/Q-tip. The spirit immediately and effortlessly lifted the colour off, without any pressure or rubbing. I then immediately washed the body thoroughly with soap to reduce the risk of the spirit drying the body out.

Upon reapplying the pastel, I found that running a tiny bit of spirit around the painted area, removed any accidental slips, while also creating a nice softening, blended effect at the edges. 
I then soap and water washed it, to remove all the excess pastel. The effect in the end, was pretty great. Very faded and natural. 
The colour still isn't 100% what I want, but as you suggest, I'll try layering up colour for a better blend, but I ran out of time yesterday.

Eventually, I hope to add muscle definition, blemishes, skin variations, veins, etc. 
I think pastels might be too blunt a tool for finer blemishes, but I might yet try the Gundam pens for that.
I don't currently have any need for a full body recolour, as I'm lucky enough to only have pale/suntan heads, but if I see a non standard head I like, I'll definitely not hesitate to try it now.

424Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm glad it worked. I imagine this method -- washing as soon as the spirits application has worked -- is relatively safe. The Gundam real touch markers have both a larger and a smaller, finer tip. For something really tiny, you can probably use a pin tip as an applicator. Adding definition to muscles, etc, is probably a good place for partial blending (to avoid too stark a contrast, and yet have some).

425Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:38 pm

OwnsBeagles

GubernatorFan wrote:Update on painting silicone seamless bodies (Phicen/TBLeague) with oil-based ink

As explained above (see Post 174), oil-based ink like that in the Pilot Drawing Pens (see Post 162 above) did not prove a permanent solution when applied directly onto the silicone seamless body. That solution appears to be provided by Uni Pin Fine Line fineliner drawing pens with water and fade proof pigment ink (see Post 192 above). However, when I experimented with this last option (Uni Pin Fine Line fineliner drawing pen) on a silicone seamless body that was painted with oil pastel, it failed. So I decided to give the oil-based ink another try for this specific condition, figuring that oil ought to work on oil. Preliminary testing was very promising so I proceeded with it for my custom Darth Maul (see Parts I and II HERE). Also see The Further Adventures of Darth Maul, HERE.

Having first painted the body the base color (I looked it up, Maul's is supposed to be red), I applied the patterns of the "tattoos" (I think rather "war paint") with different tip-size (005 to 08) Pilot Drawing Pens with black oil-based ink (and, for some larger areas, black oil pastel, although that came out exceedingly dull and I partly went over it with oil-based ink). So far so good.

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Swdmt116

You want to give the ink a chance to dry, after which touching it is no problem. I knew that protecting powder ought to help (building up a thin layer between the surface and anything else), but I held off on using it, lest it dull the colors for the initial photo shoot. It was not the smartest decision (as expected), because repeated handling to pose and move the figure, however careful, led to some dulling and very slight smudging in some places. The worst problem was where areas of the surface come together (like the inside fold at the biceps or at the knee, or at the armpit and down the inside of the biceps), which allow the oil-based ink (even at a couple of days old) to transfer (stain) the clean surface. Take this into account and either coat the figure in protective powder before handling or test for staining in such places and incorporate the "problem area" into the pattern ("if you can't beat them, join them"). Now that I have coated the figure in protective powder, it seems to be doing its job, but I'm going to be handling it very rarely and very carefully.

The moral of the story is that you can draw designs on silicone seamless bodies that are painted over with oil pastel, using Pilot Drawing Pens with oil-based ink, but you need to apply protective powder after this and probably exercise great care in handling. For drawing designs on silicone seamless bodies that are not painted with oil pastels, I would stick to Uni Pin Fine Line fineliner drawing pens with water and fade proof pigment ink. Still, proceed at your own risk and apply extra protective powder (although, if you get some of the oil-based ink onto a silicone surface where you don't want it, you can wash it off with soap and water).

Update: A few weeks later, and the oil-based ink transfer issue is still a problem. While I'm experimenting to find a better solution for the painting onto oil-pastel-colored silicone bodies, one thing that has contained the problem is a vigorous but careful rubdown (or massage) of the surface with paper towels. Make sure to not move the paper towel (once used) over another area to avoid retransfer or smudging during the process. Keep going over the problem areas with fresh paper towels until you see no transfer. Theoretically, this might be the solution to the issue. But it does mean your design would look a little duller or slightly faded.

That there is the reason I even hunted up this site like-- four years ago now?  I think?  And bookmarked it.  I wanted to know if anyone could conceivably do Maul's colors and markings on a seamless, largely because I totally want to do one, and there you went and pulled it off.  Fantastic work, really; thanks for pioneering it, in case I ever have the time to make use of the damn Phicen I bought years ago hoping to make an attempt.  You probably saved me a hell of a lot of time and money.

(Also, amusingly, I am likely one of those people whose fanart you ran across.  Though I don't see him as a sex symbol, I totally ship him with his arch-nemesis and have drawn such things accordingly. Very Happy )

Anyway, sorry for bringing this back around, but I wanted to give you a big thumbs up even if it's late!

426Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:19 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
OwnsBeagles wrote:That there is the reason I even hunted up this site like-- four years ago now?  I think?  And bookmarked it.  I wanted to know if anyone could conceivably do Maul's colors and markings on a seamless, largely because I totally want to do one, and there you went and pulled it off.  Fantastic work, really; thanks for pioneering it, in case I ever have the time to make use of the damn Phicen I bought years ago hoping to make an attempt.  You probably saved me a hell of a lot of time and money.

(Also, amusingly, I am likely one of those people whose fanart you ran across.  Though I don't see him as a sex symbol, I totally ship him with his arch-nemesis and have drawn such things accordingly. Very Happy )

Anyway, sorry for bringing this back around, but I wanted to give you a big thumbs up even if it's late!

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm delighted this is helpful. When it comes to you giving it a try, please read carefully the various posts here, and maybe the linked custom Maul thread. Just so there aren't any surprises or disappointments. As far as the ink/marker is concerned, I think my latest experiment, with Gundam real touch paint markers might be best (used on Maul 3.0), although with enough handling even they seem to sill transfer just a little bit. The others are just not as hard-wearing. I have yet to experiment on using the Gundam real touch markers on top of oil-pastel-colored background -- to any considerable degree. I wonder if that would be (a) practical and (b) possibly even better than Gundam on Gundam. I would be interested to see what you come up with, so don't be shy (but do keep in mind Forum policies). Smile

427Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:26 pm

OwnsBeagles

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm delighted this is helpful. When it comes to you giving it a try, please read carefully the various posts here, and maybe the linked custom Maul thread. Just so there aren't any surprises or disappointments. As far as the ink/marker is concerned, I think my latest experiment, with Gundam real touch paint markers might be best (used on Maul 3.0), although with enough handling even they seem to sill transfer just a little bit. The others are just not as hard-wearing. I have yet to experiment on using the Gundam real touch markers on top of oil-pastel-colored background -- to any considerable degree. I wonder if that would be (a) practical and (b) possibly even better than Gundam on Gundam. I would be interested to see what you come up with, so don't be shy (but do keep in mind Forum policies). Smile

If I get the time, I totally would. LOL! (I work full time in a physically demanding job, so time becomes more and more precious the older I get.) I do plan on re-reading even more in-depth. Heck of an exercise, really. As to forum policies, I am an old hat on many and can censor with the best of 'em.

Anyway, again, terrific work and I'll be sure to check out the other threads, too!

428Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:59 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
OwnsBeagles wrote:If I get the time, I totally would. LOL!  (I work full time in a physically demanding job, so time becomes more and more precious the older I get.)  I do plan on re-reading even more in-depth.  Heck of an exercise, really.  As to forum policies, I am an old hat on many and can censor with the best of 'em.

Anyway, again, terrific work and I'll be sure to check out the other threads, too!

Thanks again. I get it about the time... a precious commodity that one can never get back. No pressure.

429Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 17 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:08 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I have a quick question for gooboo .... regarding the oil painting method, if one already has a body coloured in oil pastels, can you paint the oil paint on top of it? I am having a bit of a struggle with a particular body in getting coverage, and I thought maybe I could just use the oil paint in a very fine layer on top of the oil pastel to sort of touch it up so the skin doesn't show through. But I'm not sure if that would work in the way I envisage....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum