OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 21]

376Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Painting entire TBLeague bodies with Gundam Real Touch Markers

The experimentation continues, after testing nipple and tattoo painting with this medium. I tried to paint an entire body with the real touch markers. It was a qualified success. It was also a bit of a pain, but that might be because I was doing a seamless Kotobukiya statue-based Darth Maul for the third time (Maul 3.0). As before, I was using red as the main body color, adding the "tattoo" (I say "warpaint") designs in black on top of that; in larger areas in black, I just applied the black marker directly to the body surface without coloring it red first. As I expected, it was somewhat difficult to obtain a consistent color, especially with the red. Repeated applications and some smearing with cotton swabs seemed to deliver a nice rich red color, but much of this consistency was undone when, after color application and soaking up the extra ink with cotton and paper towels, and waiting for awhile, I washed the body. This was especially true when using soap. Of course I reapplied the coloring to achieve an even color again, but another wash with soap largely undid that. Likewise after more tries (the same thing happens when using oil pastel, except at the end of that process enough color should be securely ensconced onto the body surface). Some variation is perhaps welcome, more natural, and more interesting, so eventually I moved on to applying the black designs, soaking up excess ink, and allowing to dry. These worked well, even if the color is a little flat. I did not dare use soap again, so when I was done with these I washed the body gently, using only water. After pat drying the body, I applied protective powder, which naturally made the color look more faded (the light in the photos here actually exaggerates how much). On the whole, the application of the Real Touch markers onto the TPE rubbery surface appears to have been successful (although I will be avoiding using soap on it), and there is no smudging or transfer. However, trying to use the same markers on the harder plastic hands and feet was disappointing. Despite several thin layers, here the color simply rubs off with repeated handling. I will be repainting these with the special markers I used for Maul 2.0.

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Swdmt231

For more photos, see here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2799-star-wars-the-further-adventures-of-darth-maul-updated-with-part-iii-may-2021#57167

and here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2773p45-star-wars-updated-darth-maul-custom-part-v-maul-3-0-photo-heavy#57173

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

377Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon May 17, 2021 3:48 am

skywalkersaga

Thank you for sharing the results of your latest experiment, GF. I think it looks turned out fairly well, given the challenges, though it's also good to be aware that it's not totally permanent.

378Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon May 17, 2021 4:23 am

Diana

Holy cow! So much progress since I last checke din here.
Awesome tattoos, Gub, and I also hope to see an in depth tutorial on that casting progress, mvde27.

379Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon May 17, 2021 5:40 am

mvde27

Diana wrote:Holy cow! So much progress since I last checke din here.
Awesome tattoos, Gub, and I also hope to see an in depth tutorial on that casting progress, mvde27.
Stay tuned.... still working on it. Actually got some commissions out of it so trying to perfect it. Cheers

380Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon May 17, 2021 10:42 am

mvde27

mvde27 wrote:
Stay tuned.... still working on it. Actually got some commissions out of it so trying to perfect it. Cheers
Progress Pic
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Img_6710

381Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon May 17, 2021 10:43 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you for sharing the results of your latest experiment, GF. I think it looks turned out fairly well, given the challenges, though it's also good to be aware that it's not totally permanent.

Thank you very much. Well, it seems like washing with soap will not remove the pigmentation entirely, just make it look a lot more faded at least in some places.

Diana wrote:Holy cow! So much progress since I last checke din here. Awesome tattoos, Gub, and I also hope to see an in depth tutorial on that casting progress, mvde27.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it.

mvde27 wrote:Stay tuned.... still working on it. Actually got some commissions out of it so trying to perfect it. Cheers

Excellent. Hope that you will share the results (and the secrets) with us. And will you be the one to give us a fully viable seamless horse? Smile Just saw the progress photo. He came out great.

382Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue May 18, 2021 4:44 am

Diana

Diana
mvde27 wrote:
mvde27 wrote:
Progress Pic
Magnificent!!
Close-up, please? Very Happy
Did you sculpt that mask?

383Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue May 18, 2021 8:01 am

mvde27

Diana wrote:
mvde27 wrote:
mvde27 wrote:
Progress Pic
Magnificent!!
Close-up, please? Very Happy
Did you sculpt that mask?

Here are a few close ups. Again, once I finish off the custom (hopefully this week) I will start to post the tutorial with all the tricks and mistakes that were discovered.
Yes, I did sculpt the head. The figure is the Guardian from Marvel Alpha Flight.
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Img_2910
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Img_6610
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Img_6711
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Img_6712
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Img_6713
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Img_6714

384Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue May 18, 2021 5:26 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very impressive job on both the body and the head sculpt.

385Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue May 18, 2021 5:30 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s pretty cool. It’ll be awesome to see the Guardian finished with the red coloring when he’s done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 C8485110

386Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu May 20, 2021 8:11 pm

mvde27

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s pretty cool. It’ll be awesome to see the Guardian finished with the red coloring when he’s done.
Ha. Me too. Silicone body can only take silicone paint. Also it is going to be airbrushed with a template that I made. Fingers crossed. There is no room for error unfortunately.

387Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu May 20, 2021 8:17 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Right, and this is real silicone in this case, not TPE.

388Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu May 20, 2021 8:36 pm

mvde27

GubernatorFan wrote:Right, and this is real silicone in this case, not TPE.
Correct. Platinum silicone.

389Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri May 21, 2021 4:56 am

Diana

Diana
Ooph! So beautiful!! Thank you for the update. I shall patiently await the final (progress) shots. bounce Wink

390Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:00 am

irregularcog

I just wanted to say that I found this whole thread extremely fascinating, the variety of experimentation and leaps and bounds in technique were a thrill to read though. I got inspired and got a S17B Narrow Body to try work on fixing the VTS Furiosa I got but I don't know if I will. Might post it up on the forum bst.

391Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:42 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Welcome, irregularcog, and please do share if you upgrade your Furiosa. I’ve seen it done elsewhere using a TBL, and aside from the slightly undersized head sculpt, it turned out pretty cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 C8485110

392Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:57 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the kind words, irregularcog. I hope our shared blunders and successes are educational, and help you achieve your goal. And I hope we get to see it. Smile

393Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:45 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Some brilliant work and ideas on this thread! Ephiane (did I spell that right?) has a great system with oil pastels, GuberatorFan has great results using Gundam markers and that recasting by Mvde27 came out great too! I'd love more info of that as I'm used to making the moulds out of silicone not the castings!LOL, also does this method mean you have to sacrifice a seamless figure every time to get the metal skeleton; or to make this process simpler are you using an entire thin seamless body and encasing it in a full muscle body of a different colour? That's how I would start experimenting with colour casting anyway. Never chimed in on this thread as I've always used recycled cheap junk bodies and rebuilt them or encased them in armour, or in the case of Iron Man related builds of which I've done a silly amount, there are no bodies! LOL. Thanks everyone who has contributed to this great thread!!

394Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:35 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks, Alex, I hope you manage to put our oil pastel and marker experience to good use with your very creative builds.

395Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
From shovelchop81

shovelchop81 wrote: Just to add my first experiments in this area of 1/6 (done well over a 1,000 builds in my lifetime but never used seamless bodies). Turning basically a super dark brown body (Anubis body) into a LOTR Uruk-Hai Berserker body with these techniques and a bit of my own impromptu variations like mashing oil pastel into a mix with silicone oil as a paint, this won't dry (well not for a few years probably lol) but it does get colour in all those hard to reach areas with a brush, especially like on the heavily muscled body I'm using; you just leave it for a day next to a heater/radiator then wipe all the excess off. This leaves you kind of a wash effect (probably works better on paler bodies but no guarantee on that!) that you can continue to go over with the same colour pastel on the flatter, wider areas. Of course I then went over all these hard to reach areas with black which might seem counter productive but not for this particular build.

Figure I started with on the right next to the Hobbit body:

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 1rQYDME

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 IQvvHzE

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Wvkybau

Painted with silicone oil/oil pastel mix

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 CvK7Ke6

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 MCK6AEV

Dried off with a rag then gone over with oil pastels on the large areas

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 ROXTSfi

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 M6vDoSg

Powdered, don't like the look TBH.

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 NHHPa9c

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Raw4WP9

Gone over with oil pastel again (because I didn't like the powdered look) and black oil pastel to make the muscles on this monster pop

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 GY3s7Uh

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 K6mbr6C

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 0IimozQ

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 E06wbf9

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 K6mbr6C

Anyway, that's it so far but the rest will be character specific.

396Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:23 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Excellent work, Alex. Perfect coverage, light shine (which is what you wanted), and so much chocolate-y goodness. Wink Love it.

397Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:37 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Excellent work, Alex. Perfect coverage, light shine (which is what you wanted), and so much chocolate-y goodness. Wink Love it.

Cheers for moving my wrongly placed post!

Chocolatey? Oh dear I'm going more for a red wine, dark blood sort of maroon colour.

398Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:38 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Cheers for moving my wrongly placed post!

Chocolatey? Oh dear I'm going more for a red wine, dark blood sort of maroon colour.

You are very welcome. And before you panic, I'm (a) partly color-blind, and (b) obsessed with chocolate, so I'm sure the color is what it is supposed to be, not necessarily what I see. Wink

399Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:47 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:Cheers for moving my wrongly placed post!

You are very welcome. And before you panic, I'm (a) partly color-blind, and (b) obsessed with chocolate, so I'm sure the color is what it is supposed to be, not necessarily what I see. Wink

C) Could be my lighting! Does look browner in the pics now I see them on the monitor/tv opposed to the phone.

400Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:51 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Whatever it is, it seems to be a good match for the target color and the application is flawless. Well done.

401Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:19 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Yeah nice one, although don't underestimate good powder, if rubbed in enough you won't really see a powdered texture but a shine. And I wouldn't recommend the use of resin dust, haha.

Last week I experimented with color pigment powder on a body, has this been covered here yet?

402Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:31 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:
Last week I experimented with color pigment powder on a body, has this been covered here yet?

Someone mentioned using crushed pastels mixed with water, but I don't think anyone has brought up colour pigment specifically. Would be interested to know your results?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

403Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:44 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Last week I experimented with color pigment powder on a body, has this been covered here yet?

I don't think so. Go ahead and post on it, if you will. I'm interested to see what you have to say and the result.

404Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 16 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:07 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Well it is a very fast method I think, but not for the faint of heart who panic at the idea of slightly staining the non visible inside of some clothing. If I find time tomorrow I will go more into detail and provide more pics. There are quite some pros and cons.

NSFW, adult content

I would also still have to censor them because of the very dangerous imagery:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f20/20/01/14/82/img_2099.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f20/20/01/14/82/img_2100.jpg
I think the blending of colors and highlighting/shading at least is better than some oil pastel methods. But yeah more of that tomorrow I am tire.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum