OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

gooboo

Sure, you can post pictures here.

47Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 Empty My Experience Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Titan

Thank you, GooBoo. I followed your instructions to the letter with a few modifications: To get a more realistic skin tone I mixed two Rit Synthetic dyes together.

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 CvTFTT

I fully submerged the body for 20-30 minutes dipping the body every ten minutes:

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 5pP7Ko

First batch, I do not remember the Pale TBLeague body designation:
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 XCjTKA

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 UM0x0P

Second batch was on a TBLeague Keir body which has a blueish tint to it and bloody calves and forearms (covered in the photos):
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 X04yMV

Both together:
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 QgA9Ah

Second batch after I added more red dye:
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 FNrmw7

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 Bhiaxl

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 Gl5idw

This is a game changer for me. My welcome back to the hobby.

gooboo

The skintone on yours looks like it came out a lot more even than mine did. How much dye did you put into the pot?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done, Titan! They seem to have come out pretty flawless and have helped you make quite the entrance. By the way, what did you do to paint the nipples a darker color?

I did have to convert some of your images to links because of our hosting site's policies. You can check the Forum's policies HERE. You can apply digital censorship patches over the respective areas and repost the altered photos.

For example:
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 Tblfbs12

OR

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 Tblmbs10

Ovy

Ovy
Welcome Titan! Great job, this Rit Dye option really opens tons of possibilities.

That last guy looks epic, could totally see him in an old spice commercial. I guess you used M36 hands.

What headsculpts did you use for the girls?

Titan

Titan
The skintone on yours looks like it came out a lot more even than mine did. How much dye did you put into the pot? wrote:
Master, your Padawan used 1 whole brown bottle and half a red bottle. Can't thank you enough for this education.

Welcome Titan! Great job, this Rit Dye option really opens tons of possibilities. That last guy looks epic, could totally see him in an old spice commercial. I guess you used M36 hands. What headsculpts did you use for the girls? wrote:
First, thank you for the welcome, Ovy. I used the hands from a Storm Toys basketball figure. The female heads: 1 is a Triad Toys head customized by Corsetkitten years ago. 2 is an old Barbie head.

Very nicely done, Titan! They seem to have come out pretty flawless and have helped you make quite the entrance. By the way, what did you do to paint the nipples a darker color? wrote:
GubernatorFan, I used a Prismacolor pen.
Well, that was an embarrassing entrance. When I first saw the images in this thread they didn't have the censorship covers so I thought it was okay. My apologies. I will re-post with the corrections in place. Thank you for being so gracious about it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Really gorgeous results, and great photos!

Did yours have any issues with the dye fading over time?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

gooboo

Yeah you should take pictures of your figures over time and see if they fade or not. Mine have all faded to some degree, and I wonder if using an entire bottle of dye will lessen the fading or not.

Titan

Titan
Did yours have any issues with the dye fading over time? wrote:
Thank you, skywalkersaga. These bodies were done 3 weeks ago. I experienced no fading but more of a evening of the tone. The problems I faced were dye trapped between the skeleton and body leaking out unexpectedly ruining whatever I was wearing. Rit Dye is real.

Master, there has been no fading over the the three weeks since I did these although the dye is still transferring to light materials (fabric, paper, desktops).

gooboo

That's really interesting. I wonder if using a lot more dye prevents it from fading. I had just been using a few cap fulls of dye for my figures. I'll have to try out using an entire bottle and seeing what happens to the figure afterwards.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Fascinating results, Titan. And welcome aboard.

I’m wondering if using too much dye is what is causing it to still leach color onto other things...

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 C8485110

Diana

Diana
Welcome, Titan! And thank you very much for sharing your process!

They turned out beautiful. And I love that Triad head!!

Titan wrote:I fully submerged the body for 20-30 minutes dipping the body every ten minutes:
What do you mean by that exactly? You left it in there for a full 20-30 minutes and... took it out briefly every 10?

And I'm guessing you used the same bath for all three? Only adding a little red (how much?) after the first two ladies?

Do maybe half a bottle would be best then? Achieve the same consistency (no fading) while avoiding the staining/dripping afterwards...

Titan

Titan
GooBoo, I wanted dark brown not light brown. I would at least start with half a bottle. I did but didn't like the results.

Stryker2011, thank you! The dye is setting more each week I did four figures and only 2 are still leaching. Very minimal now as I did then over 3 weeks ago. The big part was to letting them dry standing up in a cardboard box. Especially for allowing the draining dye between the SS skeleton and silicone to escape.

AerynDiana, thank you too!
What do you mean by that exactly? You left it in there for a full 20-30 minutes and... took it out briefly every 10? wrote:
Yes. Every ten minutes of soaking I would lift the body out, examine it briefly and re-submerge it.
And I'm guessing you used the same bath for all three? Only adding a little red (how much?) after the first two ladies? wrote:
Yes. I used a full synthetic brown bottle and 1/3 of the synthetic red. Please note that one of the female bodies was the TBLeague Kier which is a light blue with red brown calves and forearms so her color was different from the one that was a pale Caucasian and it shows in the duo photo. For the male I added what equals a half of the synthetic red. I am not good with fractions but that is including the third I had already put in.
Do maybe half a bottle would be best then? wrote:
Not for the dark hue I wanted. This was my second attempt. In my first attempt I tried using half a bottle but did not get a consistent coating which is why I went to the full bottle and longer soak time.
while avoiding the staining/dripping afterwards... wrote:
You cannot avoid the dripping afterwards. That just comes with submerging the figure in a heated liquid. Since the liquid is a dye you will get staining if you are not careful. Only one of the four figures I did trapped the dye. I now have the figures laying on white paper. Only two of them are leaving a slight color residue from their buttocks area. The other two are not leaving anything. I hope this helps.

I will be doing another four figures the first week of April and will let you know how it turns out.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Titan, if you are trying to let any trapped dye liquid escape, shouldn't you be keeping the figures standing vertically upside down?

Titan

Titan
GubernatorFan wrote:Titan, if you are trying to let any trapped dye liquid escape, shouldn't you be keeping the figures standing vertically upside down?
Gubernator, all four figures had the usual leakage that just comes with submerging the body in a heated liquid. Usually it all comes out within the first few hours. Only one had liquid trapped in it - Surprise! I never thought of flipping it over. Standing it up and letting gravity work down both legs has worked for me. It would seem harder to balance it upside down. Maybe I will try it with one in the next batch.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Titan wrote:Gubernator, all four figures had the usual leakage that just comes with submerging the body in a heated liquid. Usually it all comes out within the first few hours. Only one had liquid trapped in it - Surprise! I never thought of flipping it over. Standing it up and letting gravity work down both legs has worked for me. It would seem harder to balance it upside down. Maybe I will try it with one in the next batch.

No doubt, it would be pretty impossible to balance it upside down unsupported -- but if you did manage to hold it in that position, any liquid that might have made its way in ought to be able to escape through the neck hole.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
You could tie some string around the ankle pegs, and use a hanger to suspend it over a bunch of paper towels...

Diana

Diana
Titan wrote:I will be doing another four figures the first week of April and will let you know how it turns out.
Thank you so much for all the info! I am already looking forward to the next batch! Very Happy

Matt.s99

Wow, this looks fantastic. I just recently made a custom Mystique with a generic and cheap Kumik body I had laying around, but would like to try dyeing a seamless body one day.  I’ll definitely be coming back here for tips and tricks!

Also, may I ask where that Gal Gadot head sculpt is from? The likeness looks better than the Hot Toys sculpt

gooboo

If you're asking about one of the heads I used in my pictures, I got it from ebay. I think it was this one-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Gal-Gadot-Wonder-Woman-Head-Sculpt-For-Hot-Toys-PHICEN-TBLeague-Figure-USA/163680317720?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item261c1b7118:g:6uIAAOSwZ79c0bZO&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWT2S8CzwFE8Lj8dXvzOheqe3imU3Fm5Pvkz8CeBUNpuxWTPyOw2aqcYFwLOMoSqXbWL15zJveTjTKfOo5jTxC%2BgwLfPeZYqA1%2Bwm3OGCi5oAW0fjXw0V6IeTZn0S6G2pE3cBfp6FHQyggtTzRhioi%2BisvBlqKWHRtPFX6wL7h3JCBbdXChwkoEuvMVhwmIHuUyj333zFk8bnmOZmfk%2FHpu0DY3sDnW%2FQhKZ91E9JBlUc9CqQDdwUf%2Feji7kcwidYFkgNcs44TNG1vN36fG6%2F9oqawtgbZRm9J%2FUuvMThn9pzCVTsEpPGAsyUSTx5VaT4ktIhrEV69yWrGCkZkxjrXjDUaJNiH2UiSQ9Rcd45sFSGsDkv5FlnoKT0sSCe%2FdPmlIlGGhwUTd%2FLD32RyLMvWQZ3538%2BkC7X2nF0fRBFvqQGFATwSrkvbkLojyeqm2mx%2Fp8%2BZ%2F5huCLrmBoMHF%2BOU2fLumBMfpQdEkvmVbKhSe1EKBMXL3dO81Z%2BQVw7TrU8n9GPaEn9tkh6Ob2WpM4rw3nTPzxxWPt6EyyjrvYTHBvO9xZwjUlKa9ruDzdSembxSJKexJ%2FooZqYMrj9nD5lhgfGIUqlUEDd629cUqFM5A%2B8KCTRAkklx7hnOR4jczSv5FGpwG8Lla%2B7RQ4cZq%2FjP6R2ckjJ%2FMBzVYCv2f%2BoYqBKWzaf9wMaQebW5gXmDQJ%2BnrRAFgvknUm0n9B69jAg2rRaMNZl%2B2eokOX0dCnTzIrw%2Bctw%2Fdy9Jw3hc34M7Ccdg%3D&checksum=16368031772071696f88ca52434f98f05a77b877b1d4

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
How is the dye holding up on your figures, gooboo? Have they faded any more?

gooboo

The dye on one of my most recent figures (the s28) faded a few days after dyeing, but seems to have stopped fading since then.

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 D110

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 D210

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 3 D310

It looks like this figure has fully evened out in terms of the dye spreading throughout the figure. I think I'm going to try dyeing it again, but this time using about half a bottle or more of dye as shown earlier and see if that fades at all after dyeing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum