OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Custom printing 3d heads

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Custom printing 3d heads Empty Custom printing 3d heads Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 pm

gooboo

Since I started dyeing the Phicen bodies to be various shades of brown, I realized there are very few headsculpts that match the new colors, and even fewer that depict women of non white/asian ethnicities, so I figured I would try my hand at making my own. The 3d printing service I've ended up using so far is Shapeways, and here is the result of my first test.

I think most professional sculptors use ZBrush to make their models, but I don't have the money to buy ZBrush currently and I don't want to give my computer AIDS by pirating software, so I used Blender instead. Here is the headsculpt I'm going with first- I tried to make her facial features look like she's from India or something, since I envision this going on a medium-brown body.

Custom printing 3d heads 3d110

I had this printed out and this was the result.

Custom printing 3d heads Head110

The measurements on this one were close but not quite right. The head is a little bit wide, and the peg hole is a little too small. The forehead lip where the Kumik wig slips behind is a little too thick and tall, but overall I was pretty close for my first test.

Custom printing 3d heads Head210

For my first successful head sculpt I plan on just using a black haired Kumik wig and gluing it on, but ultimately I plan on learning how to do rooted hair and creating my own hairstyles.

Some parts of the head were rougher than others and I think I should probably have tried to smooth them down first before painting. Once the paint dries I'll try sanding it down and painting it again.

Custom printing 3d heads Head310

Custom printing 3d heads Head410

Custom printing 3d heads Head510

I'll go back and make adjustments to the head's measurements and try it again sometime next month. Has anyone tried getting things 3d printed from a printing service before?

2Custom printing 3d heads Empty Re: Custom printing 3d heads Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
As tempted as I have been to try this, 3D is apparently beyond my skills -- either that or whatever free 3D software I was able to find back when I tried was very user-unfriendly. So I salute your courage and look forward to see what you end up with. I think you're right, should have sanded/smoothed the surface before painting. But you would probably be able to do so anyway.

3Custom printing 3d heads Empty Re: Custom printing 3d heads Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This will be interesting to see how it progresses.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Custom printing 3d heads C8485110

4Custom printing 3d heads Empty Re: Custom printing 3d heads Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's a very good attempt, will look forward to seeing you improve. Also no, I've never dealt with anything 3d printed, I've been tempted to buy a 3d printer but I've yet to take the plunge.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Custom printing 3d heads 1f60e

5Custom printing 3d heads Empty Re: Custom printing 3d heads Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:45 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That’s a really nice design! I agree it definitely needs sanding, but once you do that I’m sure it will look even better.

I would’ve had zero clue how to do this myself, so I’m impressed you were able to come up with that! : )

3D sculpting is completely beyond me .... I’m terrible enough at ‘real’ sculpting as it is. Razz

6Custom printing 3d heads Empty Re: Custom printing 3d heads Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:36 am

Diana

Diana
This is beautiful. I started working my way through the Blender tutorial videos and lost my patience around video 8. But I'm sure I'll try again some time. In the meantime I'll continue fighting with SketchUp to draw my head sculpt storage boxes. ^^

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum