OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Printing T-shirts?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Printing T-shirts? Empty Printing T-shirts? Thu May 11, 2023 9:06 am

teamweapon

Has anyone tried to print designs onto tshirts?
just curious what would be the best method. Either heat transfer or slide transfer maybe?
I dont know i havent tried it yet, but if anyone has tried i would be curious to know the results?

2Printing T-shirts? Empty Re: Printing T-shirts? Thu May 11, 2023 7:52 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I’ve used cheap iron on paper with varying quality depending on how hot your iron is/how long you apply it for. Some peel off if you don’t leave it long enough but I think that was mostly down to user error as I didn’t want to scorch the fabric 😂
They do affect the stretchability of the fabric so if you need to pull the clothing over a head rather than with fastenings, it can and often will crease and start to peel. Obviously that’s not an issue if you only display your figs and don’t change their outfits every five minutes like me. 😂

Printing T-shirts? Img_7010

3Printing T-shirts? Empty Re: Printing T-shirts? Fri May 12, 2023 3:49 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thats a good question. I would love to make some metal t-shirts for an eventual mini-me, and I hadn't figured out how to do it yet. Thanks for the suggestion, Lynkhart!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Printing T-shirts? Empty Re: Printing T-shirts? Fri May 12, 2023 8:39 am

teamweapon

Lynkhart wrote:I’ve used cheap iron on paper with varying quality depending on how hot your iron is/how long you apply it for. Some peel off if you don’t leave it long enough but I think that was mostly down to user error as I didn’t want to scorch the fabric 😂
They do affect the stretchability of the fabric so if you need to pull the clothing over a head rather than with fastenings, it can and often will crease and start to peel. Obviously that’s not an issue if you only display your figs and don’t change their outfits every five minutes like me. 😂

Printing T-shirts? Img_7010
im guessing that you are right and heat tranfers are the best, i thought that too, but have yet to get around to trying it Smile
your shirts look pretty good to me!

5Printing T-shirts? Empty Re: Printing T-shirts? Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I don’t think waterslide decals would work very well because they’d just sit on the surface rather than adhering properly. I’ve also done some experimenting with rubber stamps and waterproof inks which have worked out quite well, but obviously you are limited by the size and selection of stamps available unless you make your own. (Which I’ve also done)

My mum has had this stamp for years and years so I couldn’t resist using it on a tshirt! I think I used sharpies or alcohol markers for the colours, then ironed it afterwards to set the ink, but don’t rely on that because ink can be tricky to deal with if it isn’t set properly.

Printing T-shirts? Img_7910

6Printing T-shirts? Empty Re: Printing T-shirts? Fri May 12, 2023 12:20 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's a really clever idea to use a stamp! It turned out so cute. ^.^

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7Printing T-shirts? Empty Re: Printing T-shirts? Fri May 12, 2023 3:50 pm

ukshaun

ukshaun
Printing T-shirts? DSC08936-50small
LOADING: Image(s)

I once purchased something called 'Fabric Transfer paper' which is paper that can be printed onto using a standard printer. Once printed simply iron onto your fabric.
My design required the letter's N Y U (which were created using Photoshop)
I could have cheated and used a grey background. I went the extra mile and cut out each of the letter's prior to ironing them into place.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

8Printing T-shirts? Empty Re: Printing T-shirts? Fri May 12, 2023 9:10 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
That’s pretty much exactly what I used!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum