OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OSF KOTM (KITBASH OF THE MONTH) idea/suggestion . . .

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
See subject.

Elsewhere . . . there is a discussion about KOTM (and KOTY) has been "neglected" due to technical issues, etc.

To quote a line from the film MY BLUE HEAVEN, "You see a problem.  I see potential."

Perhaps . . . our humble group should start a OSF KOTM function to promote our membership to create custom/kit bash figures regularly and more so in the spirit of the 1:6 hobby as well as drawing in more fellow hobbyists to the group?

1:6 food for thought.

Sound off fellow collectors and friends.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think I figured it out, but it would have helped if for once it was spelled out instead of an acronym.

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
GubernatorFan wrote:I think I figured it out, but it would have helped if for once it was spelled out instead of an acronym.

--

DOH!

My bad.

O ne
S ixth
F igures

K itbash
O f
T he
M onth

Wink Razz Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Maybe this should be a poll? Let everyone decide...

Me, personally, I always felt the KOTM was a bit of a one-note thing. I would rather not encourage, or discourage, anyone from posting either their own original work, or their collections, because they don't see their interests being represented in the KOTM nominations. (Now, maybe that's from a lack of interest on the part of the people nominating, but...maybe it isn't). I voted in the majority of KOTM/KOTY threads, but only once in the last five years did something I voted for win. After a while you start to see a trend in those things that win, and it just doesn't seem like it's worthwhile in even participating.
But, I also worry that if we start doing everything the old site does/did, that we might just end up being called Old Site 2.0, and I'd like to think that GubernatorFan, and the rest of us, have built something different (dare I say, better?) than that. We have a much more welcoming, encouraging, and accepting group of individuals here than sites that are much larger.
I'm not sure where I'm going with this, it's rather hard to explain. But, I hope something of what I posted makes sense.

If our members think it's a good idea, then I say go for it, if a way could be found to do it without imitating the old site. Just my thoughts.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

OSF KOTM (KITBASH OF THE MONTH) idea/suggestion . . . C8485110

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Honestly I really don't see any point in it, indeed why copy everything the old site does/ did?

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Honestly I really don't see any point in it, indeed why copy everything the old site does/ did?

--

You have a point, but perhaps the KOTM concept is not exclusive/specific/unique to the old site.

The concept has been around for a variety of 1:6 sites.

Fox915

Fox915
I do see Stryker's point and would love to see more variety.

Perhaps it could just be a some sort of friendly contest or challenge? Where each time a different theme is chosen and participants can enter their piece corresponding to the theme. Perhaps we could cut the need to nominate completely, and let anyone participate as long as their work corresponds to the given theme. Also these doesn't have to be too official where winners get badges, it's just all fun and friendly competition.

Maybe this way we can encourage varying fields of interest and promote the all-inclusiveness and equality.

Anyways, I'm just throwing out some of my thoughts. This is a very interesting subject/discussion, would love to hear how everyone feels about this subject.

scalawag

scalawag
I think it is an old idea that needs a lot of thought in order to implement it in a way which works.  If the same people or types of figure keep winning then I think it will discourage entries rather than encourage more builds.  It also pretty much excludes those of us who do not "bash" but just collect.

Just an idea, but I will throw it out there anyway.  Instead of a kit bash of the month type competition why not have a "1/6 photo of the month".  The photo could be of any 1/6 subject, and the attributes by which pics are nominated could be multiple, realism, creativity, figure posing, photography, humour, you name it really.  In my experience in other hobbies these type of competitions often come down to whether or not people like the photo or not anyway so why not vote on the photo in the first place. This to me seems more inclusive than a kit bash of the month and may well encourage more members to participate in my opinion.

Like I said just a thought.

Paul

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I like the idea of a photo of the month thing, as well as some themed challenges! Pretty much everything I do is a kitbash as I’m too cheap to buy anything, so I might actually have a shot at getting nominated this time round XD

Perhaps there could also be some kind of contest/challenge for using a particular household/easy to find object, where how they’re used is entirely up to each person? (So like, bamboo skewers for instance - some folk could turn them into fantasy weapons, others might use them to make a diorama, or furniture etc etc) That kind of thing might encourage more folk to be a little more creative!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Well I was a builder over there for 10 years, nominated loads (thanks guys) but never won once...got a bit disheartening after awhile. The main culprit was the personal taste and preferred 'theme/content' of the majority of members as well as superior work of course! Wink
I've always wanted a triple category contest for KOTM: Military, Non military and limited articulation (statue dios winning always drove me nuts as I believe in the mechanics of posability being key to a great figure build and clever ways to hide them if needed). Just my thoughts.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I do not think a kitbash of the month is specific to the old forum, as I have seen them elsewhere (Sideshow Freaks, for example). I also don't think having one here would necessarily be completely pointless. On the other hand, I am not sure we are ready for it. Do we have anyone to run it/set it up every time -- DFC are you volunteering? Do we have enough different members making a full kitbash every month? At present getting more members and more of the members we have to post is still where we seem to be, although a KOTM-type thing might actually encourage this to a point. A photo of the month might make sense, and a photo of the month in different categories might make even better sense. If we could figure out the nomination process, a poll would take care of it; alternately, perhaps there is a way to get a thumbs up function for every photo -- which might be easier to use?

blackpool

blackpool
I'm balanced on that one cause I totally understand and share Stryker's and some others feeling, but it might come from the KOTM acronym (I have to confess when I first read KOTM on a thread title here, my eyes naturally raised to the ceiling lol)

That said I second the idea that it wouldn't have the same "flavour" on a more mainstream forum like here if I dare to say, and it could be very interesting and refreshing to have a pic of the month. I don't want to sound pessimistic or negative toward an idea that is cool and generous.
I think in that case several categories like military/non military/diorama would be a nice feature, but it implies more work for whoever is in charge...

In fact I much more prefer the "contest" idea, not in any winning/loosing purpose, but as a way to share even more the passion for this hobby, there was something like that on a french 1/6 forum I used to follow but it failed after a few times, mainly because of a lack of users on the forum, and so contestants lol, which is unlikely here...

Anyway I like the idea of a given theme and deadline, and anyone inclined can post his related creation if interested in the theme, no obligation, no rivalry... only fun!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I do not think a kitbash of the month is specific to the old forum, as I have seen them elsewhere (Sideshow Freaks, for example). I also don't think having one here would necessarily be completely pointless. On the other hand, I am not sure we are ready for it. Do we have anyone to run it/set it up every time -- DFC are you volunteering? Do we have enough different members making a full kitbash every month? At present getting more members and more of the members we have to post is still where we seem to be, although a KOTM-type thing might actually encourage this to a point. A photo of the month might make sense, and a photo of the month in different categories might make even better sense. If we could figure out the nomination process, a poll would take care of it; alternately, perhaps there is a way to get a thumbs up function for every photo -- which might be easier to use?  

Yeah but then it becomes my other pet peeve with quite a few wins over there...a photograph contest not a build contest! I remember often ranting how the site was a 1/6 Figure (not statue) site and not a photographer site! One win still sticks in my brain, great poses, great photography, great dio but all the figures were virtually stock with a bit of real mud here and there, the odd accessory like a pipe and bandages for example. The dio wasn't permanent either it was a trench dug in a garden; looked fantastic in the photographs but not a build in my opinion just a great photoshoot of some nice figures in a great setting. Maybe some of the figures were kitbashed but it was very hard to tell with all the same period full figure releases that even came preweathered as an option around the time of the nominated work...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Shovelchop -- you raise a good point, that was already mooted in a different thread -- do we account for work put in, when evaluating a kitbash. For it to be successful, the look is crucial. But you could achieve a look theoretically by plopping one ready-made headsculpt on top of another ready-made body and outfit, or you could have built everything almost up from scratch. And it would probably be unfair to compare them.

As far as photos are concerned, you post numerous photos of the work-in-progress process, and relatively few and unstaged ones of the final result; others only show photos of the final result in a very staged setting. Again, comparison between them is somewhat questionable.

Genre and interest also come into play. Some are only into military, others only into fantasy, etc. Some posts get tons of responses, others (like mine?) very little traction (at least in terms of comments).

So I am on the fense about rationale, expectations, and logistics.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
blackpool wrote:In fact I much more prefer the "contest" idea, not in any winning/loosing purpose, but as a way to share even more the passion for this hobby, there was something like that on a french 1/6 forum I used to follow but it failed after a few times, mainly because of a lack of users on the forum, and so contestants lol, which is unlikely here...

Anyway I like the idea of a given theme and deadline, and anyone inclined can post his related creation if interested in the theme, no obligation, no rivalry... only fun!

There's an element in here, and I don't know if it is what you intended, but it made me think that instead of a kit/or photo of the Month. Why not just have a Theme of the Month? We can have members decide what "themes" they would like to see covered, and each month we pick a theme to do, then anyone can post their photos in that category. No Winners, Losers, voting, etc. Just a bunch of similar themed pics under one thread? That way the photos aren't just about kit bashes or customs, it's about all things 1/6. (Much like the Barbie De-Barbiefied, or the 1:1 items that can be used for 1:6 threads).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theme of the month? Nothing wrong with it, unless it discourages some members from sharing things outside of it. BAD-WOLF set a cardboard armor challenge for the spring, but I don't think anyone has taken him up on it -- I thought about it, but haven't done anything yet.

Fox915

Fox915
Wow, you guys really touch on a lot of important points.

I really like Scalawag’s idea, that way we can all participate more regularly. But on the other hand, Shovelchop does raise a crucial point where one could shift more towards the photography aspect and less about the figure.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Theme of the month? Nothing wrong with it, unless it discourages some members from sharing things outside of it. BAD-WOLF set a cardboard armor challenge for the spring, but I don't think anyone has taken him up on it -- I thought about it, but haven't done anything yet.

Unfortunately, that's my fear with anything KOTM related. I don't want anyone to be discouraged about posting their work, whether they are military enthusiasts, or into Tonnor/Volks. That's why I suggested a Theme of the Month, with a different theme all the time (until we run out of ideas of course, then we can start repeating them).

I think Photo of the Month is another good idea, but as Shovelchop pointed out, this might be just as limiting as Kit of the Month. Not everyone has the time, nor skill, (or even high-end photography equipment, or Photoshop skills) to pull off fancy photographs. I'd hate to think people who can only take pics with their phones, or whatever cheap camera they have, would feel they shouldn't post their work just because they can't compete with the likes of Lynkhart, ReverendSpooky, Peter the Painter, and Blackpool (to name just a few -- sorry if I left anyone out).

I want to see it all, no matter what it is, or what the subject, or how good it happens to be photographed. And I hope the rest of our members feel the same. I may not collect or bash every theme, but I learn something from everything that gets posted, and can appreciate the time and effort that went into it.

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
A monthly theme or round-up of highlights could be cool.

blackpool

blackpool
Thanks for your post Stryker, sometimes my english language limits shows up lol, that's what I tried to intend, contest is not the good word for what I meant, I like the "group project" aspect of it more than any victory or ranking, like shovelshop pointed so many variables can be taken to "rank" a picture or a figure... but the common theme and sharing our visions or interpretation of that theme is very cool!

I also totally agree that whatever comes out should be entertaining but not limitating for other people to showcase their work. I don't fear that to happen as the "monthly theme" could be just a thread among others, easy pass for those not interested, just as the rest of the content.

In the end what I value the most is the concept, or the idea behind a figure or a diorama or just a photoshop edit. The way you imagine something and bring it to life with the tools n skills you have. In that way an expensive hot toys figure shot with professional equipment and tons of FX can be as cool as a quick phone shot of a very simple kitbash, it's all about the concept behind.

I use instagram a lot to follow other collectors work, and everyday I see pictures that are way more interesting/fun/captivating/iconic/emotional than hot toys professional shots of their high end figures. That proves me that we all can bring something original and fresh, out of budget or equipment limits. I always think about the batman franchise when having this kind of talk cause it's perfect example to my eyes, I couldn't say if Burton is better than Nolan, if ledger is better than nicholson or even leto, I couldn't pick one over the other, just various personal visions of the same theme, both equally interesting in very different ways. They all have qualities and flaws, they all deserve to be seen, just ranking them is a loss of time, but having an oportunity to have them all together is interesting, at least to my eyes lol

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
I'm glad this discussion is yielding different points of views and suggestions from all who have chimed in this far because that is the context/intent of the thread to have members sound off and see where this may lead (or not).

I'll volunteer effort and time to organize, rally, etc. if a decision is made on the how the suggestion is implemented for our group, etc.

Let's continue the discussion to get perspectives from others.

scalawag

scalawag
It is a very tricky subject, and maybe one best left alone looking at the wide range of comments and opinions coming in.

I think any figure contest/vote or whatever you choose to call it on forums like this ultimately end up being a photo contest anyway.  That is not to say the the subject is not important, but in these circumstances, photos are the only medium we have to be able to see the quality of someones work on a forum.  Sure you might have an extensive build thread, and lots of other pictures too, but it is difficult to include all that info in such a way that it does not put off those looking to vote in a competition of this sort.  The entries need to be brief and snappy if there are a lot of them to look through.  That being the case people will look at what is in front of them on the voting thread, usually 1 or 2 photographs of each subject, and use that to make their decision.  I am not saying that is right, but I think it is what actually happens.

I have entered these type of contests on forums connected with other model building hobbies, and it is rarely the nicest model or the most accurate one, or the one that has had the most work put into it that wins!  

2 things happen to cause this I think.  

1.  Some people will actually vote for the builder and not the model.  
2.  People vote for the picture they like the best in the voting thread.

The first can't really be helped, if thats what people are going to do you can't stop it.  
The second can be ameliorated to some extent by introducing rules, like plain backgrounds only so that it is the model that is showcased, but then the more rules you add the less likely people are to contribute.  
At the end of the day it is very hard in my opinion to make these things anything more than a photo competition, so if we are going to have anything why not make it about what people are likely to vote on anyway, the photo!

I agree that some may have an advantage in terms of equipment or even their location when it comes to taking photographs (if I lived near a desert I could get some cracking pics of my Sand Troopers and DAK stuff Laughing ).  But I do still get compliments on some of the pics I take and show here, and I only ever point my phone at things to take pics these days. No fancy equipment for me Wink   It does not have to be a professional pic to be good and it may not always be that a professional pic is better.

In a way all of this is really semantics though I fear.  It is totally impossible to have something like this that everyone feels able to take part in, and maintain a level playing field for all.  The only real way to have a hassle free and inclusive competition that everyone thinks is fair is not to have one at all!!

Paul

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I just want to point out that the majority of the photos I’ve posted over the last year have been taken with my iPhone, and given a wee bit of tweaking via Instagram, so really anything’s possible if you’ve got the eye for a photograph and take your time composing the shot! :p
I’d be up for doing a wee phone photography guide if that would be of any interest for people? I haven’t a clue how any other handsets work as I went straight from a ye olde flip phone to an iPhone, but I think the cameras are pretty similar on most smartphones these days. XD

Anyway, I digress! I think there’s definitely scope to do most of the things suggested - after all, they aren’t mandatory challenges so nobody ought to feel left out if they aren’t ‘in the same league’ as some other members with more extensive collections/skills. I love the idea of a monthly theme - one of the model horse forums I’m on does a ‘model of the month’ thing where the winner of each month’s theme (it could be anything from a particular colour (bay, grey, pintos etc) or discipline (showjumping/western etc) has their photo as the forum’s header. Obviously we needn’t do that exact thing here, but I think emphasising the fun and community aspect of it is key in something like that as nobody wants it to end up becoming a really elitist event where the same folk win every time.

At some point I’d really like to host a ‘Pound/Dollar Shop Challenge’ where you try to make something for your figs using things from the £1 shop - random toys and householdy things often have loads of potential, and it might be another good way to get the community involved, as you could set a budget of £10 max or something (excluding tools/paints etc you already owned) so nobody would have a huge advantage over everyone else. To that end, I would really like to see a dedicated tutorial/guide section, as it would be a fantastic resource and save on having to search for things individually.

I’ll need to have a look for the cardboard armour challenge thing, that sounds right up my street!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:I want to see it all, no matter what it is, or what the subject, or how good it happens to be photographed. And I hope the rest of our members feel the same. I may not collect or bash every theme, but I learn something from everything that gets posted, and can appreciate the time and effort that went into it.

Goddamn, Stryker I couldn't agree more.  My thoughts exactly.

blackpool wrote:I use instagram a lot to follow other collectors work, and everyday I see pictures that are way more interesting/fun/captivating/iconic/emotional than hot toys professional shots of their high end figures. That proves me that we all can bring something original and fresh, out of budget or equipment limits. I always think about the batman franchise when having this kind of talk cause it's perfect example to my eyes, I couldn't say if Burton is better than Nolan, if ledger is better than nicholson or even leto, I couldn't pick one over the other, just various personal visions of the same theme, both equally interesting in very different ways. They all have qualities and flaws, they all deserve to be seen, just ranking them is a loss of time, but having an oportunity to have them all together is interesting, at least to my eyes lol

I do really agree with you on this.  I love a community thread with a common theme like this.  Maybe the trick just  isn't to formalize it, like a monthly thing, but to just start these kind of threads whenever the idea hits you.

Honestly, I really don't know where I'm at on this.  My 1st instinct was "Sure, I'm down."  But you guys do raise a lot of interesting points.  

I really do love all aspects of the hobby.  I love good custom work, I get excited and collect some full figure releases, and I love great 1/6 scale photos.  And that's what makes the hobby great, is that there are so many ways to enjoy it.  And while I agree with the sentiment that "this isn't a photography site," I do think toy photography is a really welcome part of the hobby (Although I may be a bit biased on that  Wink ).  And I think that there is plenty of room here for all of that.  We're a community of people who love 1/6 figures, and I think what sets us apart is not just that diversity of interests within that hobby, but that there seems to be much more of a focus on the commonality, and not the differences, here on OSF.  

I can only speak for myself, but I'm here for a few reasons.  Of course, I love having the outlet to show my own work, to people who I feel like genuinely get and appreciate what goes into a project in ways that anyone not familiar with 1/6 figures might not see.  But I love looking at other people's projects, and other people's photos.  I love sharing in that enthusiasm for this hobby in general, because it's infectious and inspires me to want to work harder and improve my own skills.  And I love the diversity of backgrounds because it means there are so many more people I can learn from, different approaches and techniques.  

I don't think here, especially right now, there isn't as much of a concern as far as bias and genre.  I think the culture here is generally pretty excited about all 1/6 scale work, done well (something I hope we never lose as this forum continues to grow).  I'd be happy to see a kitbash of the month and/or a photo of the month threads, but I'm just as happy without.  (For the record, I don't think I've ever even been nominated for KoTM over at OSW) There is something fun about a little competition between friends, but I'm not sure creative pursuits necessarily need to be competitive.  And the last thing I want is anyone discouraged from pursuing any creative projects, something we can ALWAYS use more of in this world.  I do also worry that we're a bit small right now to support this sort of monthly thing.  I know I work a lot slower than I'd like, so I don't know if we really have enough new work getting posted to have a lot of candidates every month.

I don't really see myself participating too regularly in a theme of the month build or photo contest.  I loved BadWolf's cardboard armor idea, I'm just so focused on the piles of my own projects, I'm afraid I don't have the bandwidth for many side projects.  I already worry I have more projects than I'll ever finish in my lifetime.  But again, if it encourages anyone to get inspired and work on something, I'm all for it.  But you never know, and if it coincides with stuff I'm working on, I'll be glad to be a part of it.

If anything, and it doesn't need to be too formal, but we could (and by that I mean I'll probably start) a retrospective thread, maybe around the end of the year. Maybe we can make it a good OSF tradition.  1 thread, bringing up some of our favorite things from OSF for the year.  Projects that really impressed you, photos you loved.  Hell, if there was a figure that came out that made your year.  But like KoTM, not your own stuff, but things from other members that were kinda board highlights for you.  What do you think?

http://reverendspooky.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum