OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

skywalkersaga

Ha! Love it! You combined my two fave Maul 'looks' (his Sith robes and shirtless, lol). Oh, and it's great to see the results of your experiment. Looks promising!

AlKelAstra91

For some reason that Billy Joel song popped into my head while viewing the photos, and the lyrics changed to, "We didn't start the fire, it was all Darth Maul's fault."

Those Real Touch markers are something else to accomplish this on a TBLeague body, it seems to better match the color of Maul's head/hands/feet than the previous oil pastel incarnations. Also nice fire special effects, it looks convincing with the yellow-ish light source cast on his body.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Huh. So, the whole new body was colored with markers? If so, that’s impressive.

Yes, it is a qualified success, as I will explain in the other threads. But thank you!

skywalkersaga wrote:Ha! Love it! You combined my two fave Maul 'looks' (his Sith robes and shirtless, lol). Oh, and it's great to see the results of your experiment. Looks promising!

I'm very glad you loved it. The Sith robes are pretty sweet, but I used magnets to help the hood drape a little more naturally than otherwise (these are the Hasbro Sith robes). As for shirtless, well, the look was inspired by the Kotobukiya statue in the first place, and I needed to show off the body coloring and "tattoo" (I still say "warpaint") designs. It is promising, but I'll explain more fully elsewhere.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:For some reason that Billy Joel song popped into my head while viewing the photos, and the lyrics changed to, "We didn't start the fire, it was all Darth Maul's fault."

Those Real Touch markers are something else to accomplish this on a TBLeague body, it seems to better match the color of Maul's head/hands/feet than the previous oil pastel incarnations. Also nice fire special effects, it looks convincing with the yellow-ish light source cast on his body.

While I was trying to figure out the connection to the song (besides "fire"), I came across at the YouTube video linked below. Smile

Yes, I agree it is closer (or promises to be closer) to the color on the HT heads, but there are issues of various kinds I will describe in the Painting Seamless Bodies thread. The light was from a yellowish, soft-white LED shone from below, the fire effect was superimposed and manipulated between images. There is also a faint smoke effect superimposed too.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

BAMComix

Very cool short stories, love the Maul figure, you did a great job on him Ian Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Very cool short stories, love the Maul figure, you did a great job on him Ian Very Happy

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked them. Those are two different Maul figures, by the way (the intermediate third one hasn't been in any stories yet, I guess).

ministryofwrath

ministryofwrath
you're telling me... market stains and keeps on the TB bodies? and that's it, after all this time people were trying to figure that out....and markers do the trick? *face palm* well done though, I'm impressed.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ministryofwrath wrote:you're telling me... market stains and keeps on the TB bodies? and that's it, after all this time people were trying to figure that out....and markers do the trick?  *face palm* well done though, I'm impressed.

Thank you very much. Check out the long saga of finding ways to paint these figures (with links to some more specific topics or methods), but primarily focusing on oil pastel and different types of markers. It's all written up there (and there are tricks and pros and cons to each method).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t260-painting-seamless-bodies-nsfw

Ovy

Ovy
At last you used the Gundams on Maul! Do they have fine brush tips btw?

I think he looks rather paranoid, expecting a sneak attack by Obi Wan Ani minute.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:At last you used the Gundams on Maul! Do they have fine brush tips btw? I think he looks rather paranoid, expecting a sneak attack by Obi Wan Ani minute.

Yep, he does look a bit paranoid, although in this instance I was thinking he might also be looking around for a means of getting off the desert planet. The real touch markers come with two tips, one longer and larger, the other shorter and finer -- although neither is particularly wide or or super fine. Check out the Painting Seamless bodies tutorial thread for the full write up, but note these markers don't work well on hard plastic, need some special handling to ensure reasonably good adhesion to the TPE surface, and are partly reversible (or at least fadeable) by washing with soap.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Great work, he looks very realistic. I always thought part of Maul's hatred was beard envy, seeing Obi wan and his beard must have been triggering.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 1f60e

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Theboo-bomb wrote:Great work, he looks very realistic. I always thought part of Maul's hatred was beard envy, seeing Obi wan and his beard must have been triggering.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Tumblr_o4psp71qci1v4ldhqo1_250

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Tumblr_o4psp71qci1v4ldhqo5_250

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Tumblr_o4psp71qci1v4ldhqo2_250

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Ken_in11

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Tumblr_mltqtcGhOR1r7uqj6o2_500

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Ken_in13

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Ken_in10

(Yes, I had these saved on my blog under the tag I use for when Obi-Wan is looking particularly suave n' beardy STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 1f605 )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Great work, he looks very realistic. I always thought part of Maul's hatred was beard envy, seeing Obi wan and his beard must have been triggering.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked him. Interesting theory on the beard envy rationale. Poor thing couldn't grow a beard due to the "tattoos"?

skywalkersaga wrote:... when Obi-Wan is looking particularly suave n' beardy

These are beardy indeed. But are beards suave in themselves? Or is he a suave man who just happens to be beardy? Smile

Well, you two made me think of another snippet of lost footage:

STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt253

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:These are beardy indeed. But are beards suave in themselves? Or is he a suave man who just happens to be beardy?

The fact that the beard is on Kenobi automatically renders it suave... Wink

GubernatorFan wrote:Well, you two made me think of another snippet of lost footage:

Haha, that is too perfect....  STAR WARS The Further Adventures of Darth Maul (updated with Part III, May 2021) - Page 3 1f605

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Fr0stbit3

How did you get the body to be red? Oil pastels?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Fr0stbit3 wrote:How did you get the body to be red? Oil pastels?

Hi. I'm starting to lose track of my Mauls, but the first two were indeed oil pastels for the red background, then different black markers for the "tattoos" (I prefer to think of them as body paint). Since then I have made a third custom Maul, using only Gundam real touch markers (for both the red and the black). You can read through the two threads linked below for more detail. None of them is absolutely perfect, but they all make do; the Gundam markers (of this specific type) don't crack, but I'm not sure they are completely "cured." If you are just looking to color a body (or large portions of it) in a single color, I would recommend oil pastel -- its main limitations being relative difficulty to blend colors, and greater difficulty to make finer details.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2773-star-wars-updated-darth-maul-custom-part-v-maul-3-0-updated-may-13-2021

This thread (go though all of it) covers a lot of the body painting, mostly oil pastel (starting with Post 16), with links to alternative methods, too:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t260-painting-seamless-bodies-nsfw

Hope this helps, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Cool shot Ian!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Cool shot Ian!

Thank you very much, Dal, glad you liked it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum