OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Heartofiron

Just a quick update on my pepper potts figure, I've managed to snap the plastic arm spar whilst trying change the hands, having peeled back the coating I've noticed that the plastic wasn't as pliable as I first thought, is there any suggestions on repairing snapped plastic limbs.

skywalkersaga

Sorry about the damaged arm, HeartofIron. I'm not sure where the break has occurred just by your description, so without seeing it I'm not sure how to advise on potentially fixing it. Is it on the arm itself, or is it the peg that attaches the hands to the wrist?

Heartofiron

Its the arm itself between the wrist and elbow, but closer to the elbow, I'm aware that certain glues are a giant no no due to damaging the flesh covering, but is there any advice about modelling putty something like greenstuff( hopefully people will be nerdy 3nough to know what that is)😄

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Heartofiron wrote:Its the arm itself between the wrist and elbow, but closer to the elbow, I'm aware that certain glues are a giant no no due to damaging the flesh covering, but is there any advice about modelling putty something like greenstuff( hopefully people will be nerdy 3nough to know what that is)😄

The good thing about "green stuff" is that it will probably not damage anything. The bad thing is that while it is strong, it is probably not nearly strong enough to ensure a permanent fully-reliable adhesion. But it might be better than nothing.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
UPDATE:

I'm not sure if this deserves a thread of its own or not (I guess I'll make one if more details come out), but it seems that a new variant (upgrade?) on this body (with new serial number and all) has been quietly made available (note the 2021 copyright):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003825710078.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.27424c4dz5Faj8

accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 Sba58e28d9263414f8d81866c86aaf255F

accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 S185c7c1b448a4f5299653e709792e47dC

accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 S8737c1a41b9c4c31b55efc56c77c8037C

Details are very scant indeed (nothing at GianToy, no thread about it on BBICN), but while it is very similar to this 05 body, it does appear to be subtly different (curvier in places, and some actual shape/tone to the arms and legs  Shocked ) and it is available in five skintones (as opposed to the 05 only being available in three). They describe it as a 'muscle body' which is of course ridiculous.  Very Happy

I was about to buy a third one of the 05 models, but I've taken a chance on one of these instead. If I ever actually receive it, I'll report back on it.  Smile

Nothing earth-shattering, but it's nice to have another slim, medium-bust body to choose from.

Also on sale on Ebay, at ludicrous prices  Neutral

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll await your review before seriously considering it. But it does look like an improvement on the original version.

Btw, do you remember which Jiaou skintone was supposed to be closest to the tbleague suntan?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. I'll await your review before seriously considering it. But it does look like an improvement on the original version.

I think I prefer the broader waist on the original 05 (this new variant is a bit too 'waspie' for my taste), but everything else does look like an improvement. The 05 was a major upgrade (while still not up to TBL standard it holds positions much better than the older Jdolls) so hopefully this one is another step up. The underwear is apparently also included with this figure.

skywalkersaga wrote:Btw, do you remember which Jiaou skintone was supposed to be closest to the tbleague suntan?

I think it's BS01 (some sellers describe it as 'new wheat' or 'new suntan').

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you, good to know. : )

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’m not holding my breath, though the pictures of the new version look better. But remember, I showed pics of the body listed in the original post in the Latest Purchase thread, and it is ridiculously skinny, with pencil legs.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 C8485110

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Stryker2011 wrote:I’m not holding my breath, though the pictures of the new version look better. But remember, I showed pics of the body listed in the original post in the Latest Purchase thread, and it is ridiculously skinny, with pencil legs.

Heh yes, the legs on the 05 are like matchsticks with a thin layer of rubber wrapped around them.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Well ...

I've just received this 'new' body, and to be honest I'm not quite sure what to think.

Firstly, I've checked the contents manifest for this figure and while everything is present and correct and in the right number (including the underwear, which in line with the rest of Jiaou's clothing line is reasonably well made and prettier than anything TBL offer with their figures), certain elements clearly shown in the promos are missing: namely the bare high-heel feet. There is a pair of feet for heels included, but they're the old-style 'blank' feet. And it seems like a bizarre mix of the old (that is, redundant) and the new all round - a pack of plastic neck adapters are also enclosed, even though the body is equipped with a fixed steel neck peg ... Maybe there was a screw-up at the factory with my particular set?

Very much on the plus side, however, after some initial (and actually quite worrisome) stiffness, the posability of this model appears to be a vast improvement on earlier versions, even on the JO-Q05 which was the original subject of this thread. This body appears to have taken the improvements from the 05 and built upon them further. It doesn't seem to have any problem so far with holding some fairly extreme poses - there's no 'springback' as there is with older models. I'm not going to expose the skeleton to verify its composition, but if they are still using plastic, this seems like a significantly higher grade - the body somehow feels more weighty and substantial and less fragile than previous Jiaou models. However: there do seem to be some problems with general stability - the feet are most likely the cause as they're too small and the figure has fallen over multiple times already from a normal standing pose (I'll be fixing that with more stable boots later).

Design-wise, as I speculated earlier there are improvements, but also unwelcome throwbacks to older models, although I suppose that's a subjective judgment. The legs and bottom are more shapely than the 05, but the legs are still too thin. The torso is not as nicely or realistically-sculpted as the 05 in my opinion. Skintone is BS or Wheat.

As for the common 'peeling skin' problem with Jiaous, only time will tell. FWIW, the two 05's in my collection are holding up better than previous models, so perhaps they've addressed that issue already.

So I'm in two minds about this one. In some ways it's a giant leap forwards but in others, a small step beckwards.

I'm not sorry I bought it - it's always good to have variety, however narrow. I'll probably pick up another in a different skintone at some point, not least to see if I got a batch of old feet thrown in by mistake.  Smile

shazzdan

shazzdan
The steel neck adapter can be unscrewed so it can be replaced with the plastic adapters.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
shazzdan wrote:The steel neck adapter can be unscrewed so it can be replaced with the plastic adapters.

Ah, thanks. I'm still at the 'being careful' stage with this figure. Smile

Also, feeling around at the joints, it does seem to be a plastic skeleton as usual, but possibly an upgrade.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the report, GW.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Any chance of pics? :p

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the report, GW.

It's an odd beast, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it even now. But then I think their male bodies are better designed and realised in general anyway, so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

This body hasn't made me a convert, either (certainly not while TBL female bodies are around), but it has renewed my interest in where Jiaou might go next.

skywalkersaga wrote:Any chance of pics? :p

I might be able to get to it on Monday (I've already swapped out the feet though, so that might skew perceptions a bit).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
No worries, I’m really not bothered about feet Laughing

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
And now, because Sky demanded it: Very Happy

Flash:
accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 DSCN5483 accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 DSCN5484
Natural light:
accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 DSCN5519 accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 DSCN5525
Posability:
accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 DSCN5505 accessory - NEW PRODUCT: JIAOU DOLL: 1/6 scale Asian Shape Body (3 colors) - Page 2 DSCN5502

The arms (and legs) are much better at holding poses than earlier models.

Overall though, I think it's still too skinny. OK for a one-off 'fashion model' type, but not really one to buy dozens of.

Diana

Diana
Holy cow! That face with that body in that pose... are outrageously sexy! Laughing
I don't mind the legs too much, but the shoulders in the second to last pic look terrible... did you take a shortcut in posing Smile or are they limited like that?

Thank you so much for taking the time! Very helpful and quite tempting actually. Certainly a nice alternative for certain characters. I actually have one in mind that would match the build.

How tall is she compared to the S17B or S29B? (I hope she's closer to the S29B...)

I really want that head now.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the info and images, GW.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Diana wrote: the shoulders in the second to last pic look terrible... did you take a shortcut in posing Smile or are they limited like that?

Ah yeah that's entirely my fault, I think I was concentrating so much on showing off the flex of the elbows that I forgot to move the shoulders into the right (realistic) position first.

Diana wrote: How tall is she compared to the S17B or S29B? (I hope she's closer to the S29B...)

Sadly not - it's quite tall, about the same height as Viking Woman (TBL's tallest).

Diana wrote: I really want that head now.

PopToys 'Griffin Knight' in case you're not sure (but one of the 'Eagle Knight' sculpts - ALS010 - is very similar but blonder and paler). It's a very nice naturalistic sculpt, but a bit too 'orangey' to perfectly match TBL bodies, sadly.

Diana

Diana
GeeWillikers wrote:
Diana wrote: the shoulders in the second to last pic look terrible... did you take a shortcut in posing Smile or are they limited like that?

Ah yeah that's entirely my fault, I think I was concentrating so much on showing off the flex of the elbows that I forgot to move the shoulders into the right (realistic) position first.

Diana wrote: How tall is she compared to the S17B or S29B? (I hope she's closer to the S29B...)

Sadly not - it's quite tall, about the same height as Viking Woman (TBL's tallest).

Diana wrote: I really want that head now.

PopToys 'Griffin Knight' in case you're not sure (but one of the 'Eagle Knight' sculpts - ALS010 - is very similar but blonder and paler). It's a very nice naturalistic sculpt, but a bit too 'orangey' to perfectly match TBL bodies, sadly.

Thank you so much for clarifying! 🤗🥰

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum