OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Oh, I see. I thought the question was just about the Milanese knight, but didn't even realize the two variations. Personally, I prefer SE036, although I am sure late medieval armor probably also included something close enough to SE037 too.

What I don't like about SE037's helmet are the ridges running over it. SE036 seems more typical of Milanese design with the single crest in the centre.

Apart from the sabatons being all metallic again (with no sign of a leather shoe underneath), the armour looks very good to me.

shazzdan

SE036 looks pretty good. They screwed up the helmet on 037

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

dadrab

Hmmmmmm. I see the point about the helmet on 037 and would assert that without some more modern metal working equipment, it would be a pretty difficult construction process, BUT I really like it.

MerylAkiba

So if I buy the box set 038, it comes with shields and a long sword as the bonus pieces? Does this also come with extra shoulder armor, 2 standing and 2 plain? That way they could both have standing shoulder armor or is it the one set?

I missed out on every single coo model knight so I have to get this.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MerylAkiba wrote:So if I buy the box set 038, it comes with shields and a long sword as the bonus pieces? Does this also come with extra shoulder armor, 2 standing and 2 plain? That way they could both have standing shoulder armor or is it the one set?

I missed out on every single coo model knight so I have to get this.

I can't be certain, but judging by the two Vikings set, if you get the two-figure set, you would get everything that comes with each individual figure, plus the exclusive piece(s).

Skippy

The SE036 'Knight of the Realm - Famiglia Ducale' was delivered this afternoon.

This was the one of their many variations that I chose to represent a late fifteenth century Milanese harness.

It's not perfect, but it is very striking.

I must a have spent an hour or so this morning scanning the net and going through numerous Osprey books covering the period, mainly looking at one particular aspect: tassets!

In about 1500 a style of flexible armour that became known as 'Almain rivet' was created in Germany. Overlapping metal lames were connected by rivets, and were able to slide on the rivets to afford flexibility to the tassets.

It was only when I got the figure in hand that I could discern that the tassets looked less flexible than Almain rivet. There are two rows of slightly off-set rivets, and they're moulded with an outward curve giving the impression of forming a single, more rigid piece of armour. Neither are they body forming as Almain rivet tassets tend to be.

Tassets made from lames were in use during the second half of the fifteenth century, though apparently not that common. There were a couple of examples among the Osprey books: a mid-fifteenth century German crossbowman, and a late fifteenth century Italian crossbowman.

In the Karsten Klingbeil collection, Berlin, was this c.1480 south German and Austrian composite:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46280164244_7bf9cb31e4_o

So, depending how you view the tassets the armour can represent either the late fifteenth century, or well into the sixteenth.

Before putting on the larger pauldrons, I think he looks quite good with the just the spaulders on the upper arms:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 33133152518_2fcdb3271a_o

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46284386944_7dc88589c5_o

A pair of tassets as culet armour:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46284386874_0bb7cce872_o

Italian armour often had asymmetrical pauldrons, smaller on the dominant arm to assist movement for combat. It's not always the case, as there are examples where both left and right are identical.

At first glance the CooModel pauldrons appeared identical, but it became apparent that the right pauldron is wider from front to back. It's likely an accidental casting variation, because there's a magnet underneath it that's too far away from the breastplate to make contact. So it's held on only by the magnet that meets the spaulder.

If it was unintentional then it's a lucky accident, because it creates an asymmetry providing the sword arm with a little more range of motion.  

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 33133152298_1927c717b4_o

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46284387004_c237877d7c_o

On the negative side, all the straps and belts are made of stiff plastic. No doubt it was done for longevity, but it's a strange choice reminiscent of a Marx knight from the 1960s.

Because the plastic is so stiff it's harder to tighter the belts as it would be with leather or pleather. He comes wearing a narrow belt, and there are two other wider belts packed in a bag that need to be put on. These have loops  to hold the scabbard and warhammer. The scabbard would slide out of the loop if you're not careful. When scabbarded the crossguard of the sword secures the scabbard.

Because the belts are less flexible than pleather there they get bulky when all three are worn together. So I removed the narrower one.

It would be pretty simply to remake the belts in leather. All you'd have to do is remove the buckles; cut a couple of strips of leather; shape the ends and glue the buckles to the leather belts. It's something I'll probably do when I get the inclination. But for now the black plastic is passable.

Another negative is that the camera flash highlights the openness of the mail. It isn't that apparent on display.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for sharing the photos and your impressions and findings, Asta. Whatever the minor details (and this is too modern for me to spot any glaring issues, so I appreciate your research), the overall look appears both stunning and appropriate. As for real leather straps and belt, before you go cutting them yourself, you may want to look at the leather cords of different widths and thicknesses and sizes available in hobby stores -- that can probably save you a lot of grief and give you a nicely made and fairly durable option.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for sharing the photos and your impressions and findings, Asta. Whatever the minor details (and this is too modern for me to spot any glaring issues, so I appreciate your research), the overall look appears both stunning and appropriate. As for real leather straps and belt, before you go cutting them yourself, you may want to look at the leather cords of different widths and thicknesses and sizes available in hobby stores -- that can probably save you a lot of grief and give you a nicely made and fairly durable option.

I hadn't thought of that, as I have a stack of leather in various thicknesses that was bought years ago in a car boot sale with the intention of using for 1/6. But the need never arose.

I wouldn't change the straps as that would be too much work, and since they're small they don't stand out like the belts.

The plastic belts are simple lengths with a tapered end. The other end is looped round the buckle and glued.

This should be something straightforward that gets me started on working with the leather.  

A shot from the side that I forgot to post:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46285599854_97a7085812_o

And a group photo:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 40044993993_a901d5fb3c_o

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 40045354003_9652a63289_o

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting history, and great figure. When I was a kid my brother and I had two knights (and their horses) that my mom got at a garage sale. I had the Silver, and my brother had the Gold one; I think those were made by Marx, but I can’t be sure, they disappeared about 40 years ago.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 C8485110

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Interesting history, and great figure. When I was a kid my brother and I had two knights (and their horses) that my mom got at a garage sale. I had the Silver, and my brother had the Gold one; I think those were made by Marx, but I can’t be sure, they disappeared about 40 years ago.

I had the blue one which my mum had got from a jumble sale, but he didn't have any armour!

This is a re-issue version:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 Bluekn10

Here's a vintage silver version:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 Knight13

And gold:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 Marx-g10

Note the style of the tassets. They even have double rows of rivets, though not offset. CooModel added shields to the double pack of this series, which it seems was inspired by the Total War videogame going by the Famiglia Ducale reference. Yet they could just as well be inspired by the original Marx series:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 Knight14

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 Silver10

This page shows both the vintage and re-issue figures:

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=163

In their time those were great looking toys.

It was mum's jumble sale forays that brought me unwittingly to the world of sixth scale. I had secondhand 1960s Action Man/GI Joe figures, some incomplete Marx Best of the West, and later on a Cylon Warrior. I've no idea where all that early stuff went.

I had smaller the Mego, Lone Ranger and Doctor Who figures, but they weren't quite the same as the 12" ones. Though I wish I still had the Mego Doctor Who Giant Robot, and wish I remembered where all those toys went!

Skippy

I remade the two belts in leather this morning:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 40049802313_0df7360378_o

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 33139155478_98d7aec22e_o

Just noticed in the close up that the first belt (the lower one) still has ink marks from when I was spacing out the holes. I'll take them off with a bit of sandpaper.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I called my mom to find out where she got those Knights from (I thought it was a garage sale); turns out she got them from Sears. I have vague memories of opening this massive box on Christmas when I was about 4-5 years old (the box contained the Knight, the horse, and all the armour. The bad thing about them, was those little tabs that snap the pieces together kept breaking in the hands of typically careless little boys. My mom told me she sold them in a garage sale (I knew there was a garage sale in there somewhere), because my brother and I stopped playing with them. I do still have some of my old 12” figures from the 60s -70s — Six Million Dollar Man (with the capsule/rebuild playset), KISS, Lone Ranger and Silver, and a couple of G.I. Joes when they first started adding the flocking. Sadly, they’re all in pretty bad shape.

Nice job on the belts. I wonder if they shouldn’t be a darker color? (Just my own personal preference).

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 C8485110

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Wow. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I called my mom to find out where she got those Knights from (I thought it was a garage sale); turns out she got them from Sears. I have vague memories of opening this massive box on Christmas when I was about 4-5 years old (the box contained the Knight, the horse, and all the armour. The bad thing about them, was those little tabs that snap the pieces together kept breaking in the hands of typically careless little boys. My mom told me she sold them in a garage sale (I knew there was a garage sale in there somewhere), because my brother and I stopped playing with them. I do still have some of my old 12” figures from the 60s -70s — Six Million Dollar Man (with the capsule/rebuild playset), KISS, Lone Ranger and Silver, and a couple of G.I. Joes when they first started adding the flocking. Sadly, they’re all in pretty bad shape.

I remember one birthday I got Lone Ranger, Butch Cavendish, Silver, Smoke and the chuck wagon. I didn't think I could ever be happier! Later on I had Dan Reid and Red Sleeves. But never Tonto for some reason.

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice job on the belts. I wonder if they shouldn’t be a darker color? (Just my own personal preference).

Thanks. The colour isn't really so pale. I got close in with the camera and the flash washed it out.

I had a quick look online to see if there was a photo of a similarly coloured belt, and this is more like it:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 48457910

Since you mentioned the colour I looked around at my other figures from all genres, and leather is invariably represented as a darker brown.

In my 1/1 militaria collection I have a couple of First World War Webley holsters. One is dark brown, and the other the colour I used for the belts.

I might darken them a little by soaking them in cold tea.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
For some unknown reason, I never had Tonto, either. One of my younger half-brothers had him (but I don’t remember which). That chuck wagon would have been cool.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:For some unknown reason, I never had Tonto, either. One of my younger half-brothers had him (but I don’t remember which). That chuck wagon would have been cool.

I loved the chuck wagon.

Well, I just made myself a cup of tea, put the teabag into a saucer and painted the belts while they're still on.

Hard to tell how it will turn out as it's absorbant, so keeps needing another coat.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The belts turned out beautifully. Sandpaper on leather was a bit of a surprise for me.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Asta wrote:Thanks. The colour isn't really so pale. I got close in with the camera and the flash washed it out.

I had a quick look online to see if there was a photo of a similarly coloured belt, and this is more like it:

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 48457910

Since you mentioned the colour I looked around at my other figures from all genres, and leather is invariably represented as a darker brown.

In my 1/1 militaria collection I have a couple of First World War Webley holsters. One is dark brown, and the other the colour I used for the belts.

I might darken them a little by soaking them in cold tea.

In the past they used vegetable-tanning methods, which produces a lighter colour than modern chrome/oil tanning methods. It doesn't really matter because, as the the leather gets used and weathered, it will change colour to any shade of brown you can imagine.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:The belts turned out beautifully. Sandpaper on leather was a bit of a surprise for me.

Thanks.

A light sanding will take off the ink, a little more and you can create light wear by roughing up the surface.

shazzdan wrote:In the past they used vegetable-tanning methods, which produces a lighter colour than modern chrome/oil tanning methods. It doesn't really matter because, as the the leather gets used and weathered, it will change colour to any shade of brown you can imagine.

That's why I don't mind them being lighter.

It was an observation that regardless of the period portrayed, figure creators usually go for a darker colour, so it's become familiar and expected.

In the past I've used tea to colour a 1/6 leather holster to create the appearance of wear, and darken the pressure points where the revolver habitually presses against the leather.

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 29026408311_08fa310faa_z

The leather I pulled out of the cupboard for the belts was different. It's not quite a hard, shiny patent leather, but it does have a coating. It absorbed tea and darkened, but dried lighter, expelling much of the colour. The result is a shade darker than it started, and has taken the shine down.

The belts now look a little more worn, not so glossy/reflective.

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46972297782_6f472caebf_o

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good, Asta. The tea bath really helped a lot.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good, Asta. The tea bath really helped a lot.

I'm really happy with the result. So much so that I'm doing the same with the Gothic armour's sword belt.

This time I sanded down the shiny side so it should take the colour of the tea better. Also, because the buckle on this one has narrower gaps, I've been thinning the leather down by running the edge of a craft knife over the back of it.

He has a separate narrower belt for his dagger, but I've left that as is since it's mostly concealed by the sword belt.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I am really happy with the result too, and also very impressed with your holster. All this adds so much more realism to the overall appearance.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:I am really happy with the result too, and also very impressed with your holster. All this adds so much more realism to the overall appearance.

Being a natural product the leather has proven to be unpredictable, but not in a bad way.

The holster was easier to work with, and I could manage the colour by applying the tea with a brush like using paint.

The leather I used for the belts reacted differently. By removing the hard, shiny surface I'd have expected it to have absorbed and retained the tea better, rather than resisting it as the first belt did. My aim was to make this belt look older and more worn. Now that it's dried it's actually lighter than the first two, but I like it. It has a soft, broken in appearance.

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46116378205_427aec8736_o

COOMODEL 1/6 Empire Series - (New Lightweight Metal) Milanese Knight - Page 3 46116378195_14c8ef6b60_o

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, it looks good. It may be lighter, but it does have that "lived-in" look.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum