OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

doodlehobby

Hi all, was going to post in product news, but also had a kit bash of it so decided to make it a new thread. :p

Update: Burryna Revisited Kit bash v2

So, for this figure, it's a total disappointment in my view. Especially for the cost they are asking for. As stated, there were some things that were nice, other things I found ugly. It didn't help that my figure had a few QC issues that I am talking to the shop I got it from to hopefully resolve it.

So let's get down to the basics. Box is nice but very plain. It opens like a book with a magnetic flap on the side that keeps the box closed.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463761663_6268956c2e_bShipper by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464621092_7dc68cb312_bBox Front by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464460056_94b941a4ab_bBox Back by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464459821_b17075bc75_bBox Side 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464459786_742f552bc1_bBox Side 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464459771_1a87ecf439_bBox Top by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464459951_d6bb14c891_bBox Bottom by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Opening the box reveals a small instruction sheet.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463762848_928ec9e088_bInstruction Sheet 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464622617_d799db791f_bInstruction Sheet 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

The set contains 3 foam trays inside. The first has the helmet, figure (all gear is worn), extra pair of open hands, connector piece to join the swords together, pair of batteries for the swords and a small pack of desiccant.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464621547_1bc6460d4a_bTray 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Second tray, we get a very nice cape.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463759653_83884cdb41_bTray 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Third tray is the light up figure base and stand, as well as the 2 swords.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464460256_8b8a8eb8b2_bTray 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Head sculpt is okay, I still haven't had a chance to see how it looks with smaller bodies. The hair tends to cover most of her elf ears though.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464462086_8042301446_bHS Front by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463762983_1b5abee9ca_bHS Side 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464461691_785d1fbe3d_bHS Side 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Figure itself is a S10D pale body with no anatomical features whatsoever (well, with the exception of the nipples). Didn't bother taking a body shot of it as there's really nothing to see.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464458456_82021cf436_bKT001 Front by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464461061_b2a5f5207b_bKT001 Back by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463762288_db74a61798_bKT001 Side 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463762238_6dc4b0f443_bKT001 Side 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Not too bad looking, BUT the armor... now there are places where it can and will damage the body out of the box. The shoulder pads are all clipped on with small button clasps. Already have indents on the shoulders because of it (it was hard to capture the small divots in the skin on pic). Also one shoulder was slightly discolored (not sure from where). All the armor is plastic with the small exception of the fishnet arm sleeves and leather straps glued to the back of the hip guards. Not a fan of the plastic underwear and you have to remove the threaded string if you want to remove the hip guards. Also the neck shoulder piece... well, look closely at it and there's a very noticeable gap on it and it does not look good. Furthermore, the point is SHARP and not dull. Careless move and that can puncture the skin very easily (it actually made a small indent already on the skin out of the box). They could have designed this better at least contour it to the body showing no gap. Also the ankles/feet are loose and this figure fell 3 times on its own.

Now the base is actually very nice and the lighting effects are good. BUT, for the cost, I expect to push that center button and select the lighting effect I want. It's just a basic on/off switch and nothing else. It will cycle through its effects which are mostly pulsing effects. I should add they didn't even bother adding a screw to the battery lid to secure the batteries. Much less give you 3x AAA batteries to power the base.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464460231_193417e829_bBase Stand Bottom by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463761408_7d7dbbff26_bBase Stand by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464621432_7084bf6078_bBase Stand LED by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

The swords... they are nice too, but I have an issue with one of them. It wasn't as bright as the other one and now flickers. Great. Just what I needed... more headaches.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464460971_7e595b2831_bPose 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463762083_c3741179c5_bPose 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Didn't bother with the crown as this is what I got.
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464067813_815e874da6_bHead piece broken by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Wow. Nice. More headaches...

QC is very poor with this figure (at least on mine). And at the cost they are asking, it's unacceptable. Yeah, pretty much disappointed with all this and definitely would not recommend getting it as a set. If you have a few things you like, just hope they get parted out at a reasonable cost. Don't bother with this full set as there's no value in it and if you get a lemon like mine, you'll just be annoyed and frustrated at the whole thing.

More shots: by desertdragon

But let's turn that frown upside down and kit bash and customize a few things in this set using a S22A body... Very Happy

You'll notice the swords are the same glow in these shots. But reality is the faint lighted sword is now flickering. Which can only mean the connectors are most likely loose in it or broken now. Hopefully the seller will be able to get a hold of this manufacturer about the issue (as well as the helmet).
KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464459131_4aff63a746_bCustom Front 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464620542_99a809bed9_bCustom Back by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463762893_6be3c52369_bCustom Side 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464622142_b01ec71b82_bCustom Side 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50463759868_5a0b525c78_bCustom Pose 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464458631_c4222f03da_bCustom Pose 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464619932_cedd0a17f9_bCustom Pose 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 50464458341_1d2072a985_bCustom Pose 4 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for the review and photos. For what it is worth, without the faulty crown and the poorly designed neck-piece she still looks quite striking. But sorry to read about all these annoying issues.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is a bummer about the neck/collar piece, and the swords. Are the two separate pieces of the crown supposed to be glued on prior to taking out of the box? I’m not a fan of the hip guards myself — for some reason it detracts from the bodies natural curves. The head is cute, though.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom C8485110

csyeung

csyeung
Ack, sorry to hear about the qc issues. I do like your body swap. I think she looks more heroic with the 22 body. I'm not a big fan of the light up gimmicks. I feel like the cost to benefit usually isn't there and i mean this pretty much across the board for all companies. I usually turn them on once or twice while unboxing and then they usually stay off. I am not skilled enough to make those wired displays.

Thanks for the review and showcase.

doodlehobby

csyeung wrote:Ack, sorry to hear about the qc issues. I do like your body swap. I think she looks more heroic with the 22 body. I'm not a big fan of the light up gimmicks. I feel like the cost to benefit usually isn't there and i mean this pretty much across the board for all companies. I usually turn them on once or twice while unboxing and then they usually stay off. I am not skilled enough to make those wired displays.

Thanks for the review and showcase.
Yeah not into electronic gimmicks much either. Would have preferred they dumped it and went with a very cool paint app instead.

Stryker2011 wrote:That is a bummer about the neck/collar piece, and the swords. Are the two separate pieces of the crown supposed to be glued on prior to taking out of the box? I’m not a fan of the hip guards myself — for some reason it detracts from the bodies natural curves. The head is cute, though.
Yeah, they were supposed to be glued on. There's no other way of attaching them except glue. And it was all packed in the little plastic bag with foam.

Diana

Diana
Thank you very much for this review. Despite the issues she does look really good, especially after your mods. Losing the fishnet sleeves and going for the solid long sleeved leotard (or whatever) instantly makes her look more believable.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the review and the great photos, and I'm sorry for your disappointment. For what it's worth, I think your kitbashed version looks a lot better than he original. I love that you gave her a bit more clothing underneath the armour, it was a wise choice and looks really good in this instance.

My own issue with this figure is not even the glowing swords or the overall design, but rather the colour of the armour... perhaps the white version is more convincing, but I think the black and gold paint app on this one doesn't seem very realistic. It looks like painted plastic, rather than metal. I don't know if it's the particular type of gold paint they used or what, but that was the thing that stood out most to me.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Valiarde

Valiarde
What kind of batteries are being used on the swords here? Are they easily obtainable to reorder if the old ones die?

I like the overall character, but still not worth the money to me, given how few things come with this figure. Also liking the HS, but there are several very nice Elf heads on the market right now!

doodlehobby

Valiarde wrote:What kind of batteries are being used on the swords here? Are they easily obtainable to reorder if the old ones die?

I like the overall character, but still not worth the money to me, given how few things come with this figure. Also liking the HS, but there are several very nice Elf heads on the market right now!
They use CR425 batteries. They are used for fishing IIRC. I agree cost is high especially with what you get in return.

AerynDiana wrote:Thank you very much for this review. Despite the issues she does look really good, especially after your mods. Losing the fishnet sleeves and going for the solid long sleeved leotard (or whatever) instantly makes her look more believable.
Thanks. Smile

skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the review and the great photos, and I'm sorry for your disappointment. For what it's worth, I think your kitbashed version looks a lot better than he original. I love that you gave her a bit more clothing underneath the armour, it was a wise choice and looks really good in this instance.

My own issue with this figure is not even the glowing swords or the overall design, but rather the colour of the armour... perhaps the white version is more convincing, but I think the black and gold paint app on this one doesn't seem very realistic. It looks like painted plastic, rather than metal. I don't know if it's the particular type of gold paint they used or what, but that was the thing that stood out most to me.
It's actually a very dark metallic purple colour for the armour. I think the gold paint apps were sloppy in some areas. And yeah it looks rough and unrefined. Doesn't help they didn't do a good job covering the mould seams.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks cool, and I like what you did, I personally do not like bikini armor. On the other side you probably lowered all her stats by giving her more clothes.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom 1f60e

doodlehobby

Just a small update... Manufacturer said I had to send the broken pieces back for repair as they don't have any spare parts to send. Store was very nice and said they would pay for the postage to repair the items. I opted out of that as I don't think its worth the time and costs. Getting a small reimbursement instead.

I managed to take apart the flawed LED sword and the LED pin was actually snapped. That explains the lower output and flickering. I think I can glue it into place and fix it myself. *fingers crossed *

As for the crown, that should be a very simple fix with glue. Still, for the cost associated with this figure, it's safe to say I won't PO from them in future. Especially with the shoddy QC.

csyeung

csyeung
That's unfortunate that they didn't have replacement parts. I do hope you are able to do some of the fixing yourself. Maybe a bit of soldering is needed?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good luck with the repairs. Hope it works out. I had the same (no replacement) for the JXK camel — haven’t ordered anything else from them since. Discount from the seller, but that shouldn’t be the norm — it should be on the manufacturer to make good.

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom C8485110

Delanie

Delanie
Her Hs looks much better on the new body I can't help but think she looks a tad 'fish eyed' but perhaps that's how these elves look?

would it be possible to replace the LED in the sword, or are you referring to the pin holding the LED in place?

I had similar problems with my Ciri figure the body was a standard jointed affair which I may have stuck with but upon changing her hands out I noted her arms and shins were split down the seamlines,. I didn't even bother to contact the store just replaced the body luckily the clothes came off.

desertdragon

desertdragon
My Burryna (version w/ cat) arrived here this week, and honestly from almost the moment I ordered her  I felt like there was no way this set would justify the price (especially the deluxe version) and was seriously considering just selling her unopened... Needless to say Doodlehobby's excellent but pessimistic review of her did not help assuage my misgivings... But I took a deep breath and decided to at least see what my seemingly ill advised purchase had delivered - and to my surprise and shock found myself thinking... she was worth it? Well, I know "worth it" is an entirely subjective sentiment, but Burryna does have some things going for her:

* Her armor is fantastic - It is beautifully detailed, and the mahogany and gold with red accents works really well... And happily I did not experience any QC issues with her helmet, or any other piece in the set... Everything is beautifully and artfully executed here...

* Her portrait is beautiful, and works really well to establish the fantasy / anime-esqe esthetic of the piece. Aside from me sucking at managing he hair, she is an absolute pleasure to photograph...

* Her swords - I was really expecting to be disappointed with the lighting effect for the sword blades and hilt, but I was happily shocked at how well they work... with no exposure or post adjustments, you can see how beautifully the blades illuminate... I promise the effect is just as pronounced in person.

* The cat - This is where I was really regretting my decision to go with the deluxe version of this set, and I was fully prepared to be let down with her feline companion... but holy crap the cat is *really* well done - it feels like it is cast resin, and is absolutely solid... the paint application is flawless, and everything from the subtle markings on the fur to the incredibly rendered head is just wonderful.. I will go out on a limb and say yeah, the cat actually earns its keep here...

As for her body, I feel like the body selection for works fine with the esthetic the piece is going for... She is definitely not Demon Huntress, but if you are happy with the notion that she is an elf after all, then the body selection makes perfect sense to me. Again, personal preference will dictate satisfaction here, and happily  swapping bodies for something more to one's liking is totally an option here...

So again, whether the deluxe version of this set is worth its rather perilous price point for a sixth scale seamless figure is definitely a matter of personal judgement... But I am happily surprised to find myself really loving Burryna and her floof / terrifying companion...

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu12

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu11

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu10

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu13

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu15

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu14

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu17

KYStudio KT001 Burryna (disappointment)... and body swap kit bash custom Elf_bu16

csyeung

csyeung
The cat looks fantastic! Thoroughly menacing!

BAMComix

BAMComix
I agree, she does super awesome! but how often have we seen this with figures where they come with annoying defects Sad . When will the people who design them make something that doesn't damage the figure or as you have said, have items that aren't easily broken.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Beautiful photographs, DD — she really shines in those shots. I passed due to the price point, so I’ll just have to enjoy her in your photos. Someday I’d like to be able to make a bunch of fantasy figures, but time is short at the moment.

desertdragon

desertdragon
csyeung wrote:The cat looks fantastic! Thoroughly menacing!

Thanks! He's genuinely terrifying, but loves it when you scratch him behind his ears tongue

desertdragon

desertdragon
Stryker2011 wrote: Beautiful photographs, DD — she really shines in those shots. I passed due to the price point, so I’ll just have to enjoy her in your photos. Someday I’d like to be able to make a bunch of fantasy figures, but time is short at the moment.

Thank you Stryker! Yeah, I wish the price on her was less painful... Even I think I was crazy to get this version of her... But to be fair she really is beautifully executed, and she goes great with Mister Snuggles Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glorious photography as always, desertdragon. They really should have you doing their promo images. Smile I'm not really into this sub-genre but you are able to highlight so much of the set's beauty and potential even I can easily appreciate it for what it is.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the awesome pics and the additional review, desertdragon! Your photography is gorgeous as always. From your pics I can see the colour of her armour a lot better and it is indeed really pretty. I'm rather partial to purple (I guess it's burgundy but it looks like purple and black to me), so perhaps that helps. ;D

Looking at it from a fantasy perspective, the face is quite cute. And the body suits that style of figure too. Your photos also bring out the neat light effects of the swords. I think you have to have a dark backdrop to make them truly, well, shine. :')

It seems they did try to do a decent job on the rooted hair, though if it were me I'd re-hair it to a much finer natural fiber, as I think it would bring out the ethereal qualities of the figure more. That's not a criticism of the figure or of your photography though, it's just the customizer in me thinking out loud. ;D

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

doodlehobby

Excellent pics @desertdragon. Glad to see you didn't suffer any QC issues like mine. Smile

desertdragon

desertdragon
GubernatorFan wrote:Glorious photography as always, desertdragon. They really should have you doing their promo images. Smile I'm not really into this sub-genre but you are able to highlight so much of the set's beauty and potential even I can easily appreciate it for what it is.

Thanks so muc GubernatorFan!! Honestly, I really do get frustrated with the promo shots companies use sometimes... But I'm happy I can at least try to bring out some of the potential of these figures in my own photos, and it is always a privilege to share them here!

desertdragon

desertdragon
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the awesome pics and the additional review, desertdragon! Your photography is gorgeous as always. From your pics I can see the colour of her armour a lot better and it is indeed really pretty. I'm rather partial to purple (I guess it's burgundy but it looks like purple and black to me), so perhaps that helps. ;D

Looking at it from a fantasy perspective, the face is quite cute. And the body suits that style of figure too. Your photos also bring out the neat light effects of the swords. I think you have to have a dark backdrop to make them truly, well, shine. :')

It seems they did try to do a decent job on the rooted hair, though if it were me I'd re-hair it to a much finer natural fiber, as I think it would bring out the etheral qualities of the figure more. That's not a criticism of the figure or of your photography though, it's just the customizer in me thinking out loud. ;D

Thank you so much skywalkersaga! And I agree that some finer fiber would have been much more suitable for her hair... She does have two braids that are done really well, and they at least help to establish some scale for the hair. Overall though she's fantastic, and I feel so much better about my decision to get her in the first place Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum