OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

skywalkersaga

Huh, interesting to see another version of her, even if I'm not actually that keen on it. I'd be more likely to consider this if it had the same body as the first version, but since it's the seamless ankle body....I'm not interested at all.

And aesthetically.... I absolutely prefer the first version. This one is very pretty, but the original version completely blew me away. This one lacks 'oomph'.

rollotomasi

Not my line but my goodness what a gorgeous figure!
But same sentiments about the seamless ankle, very odd why TBL didn't go with the ankle joints like the previous Kier.
Also, the wings look too small for me... which is perfect for a 1/12 figure.

GeeWillikers

Head sculpt and kitbash odds and ends - yes.

Body with seamless feet - NO.

EDIT: Hopefully the halo is detachable.

....And am I the only one seeing a hint of a certain actress who plays a certain 'Wonder-ous Female' in that h/s?

Moonbase Alpha Male

rollotomasi wrote:Not my line but my goodness what a gorgeous figure!
But same sentiments about the seamless ankle, very odd why TBL didn't go with the ankle joints like the previous Kier.
Also, the wings look too small for me... which is perfect for a 1/12 figure.

No winged figure can ever make sense, so that’s a non-starter. If you give them great big wings like a proportionate 10x eagle, for flight the body would still have to be some super-skinny hollow-boned structure, but instead you see muscled men and women, and usually with all kinds of heavy armor.

If you get past that body issue, and you see some gorgeous comic book panel or a poster where the likes of Hawkman or Flash Gordon Birdmen look awesome, then you need to consider what they’d look like beyond the freeze-frame. They’d be flapping those huge wings beyond hummingbird speed, which could only look absolutely ridiculous. So I think you need to assume, as Hawkman kind of does, that the flying is done through some kind of magical or pseudoscientific levitation which supplies the anti-gravity, while the wings are only there for steering and control, so they can be relatively small.

Archangels, which is what Kier is, are probably a special case because of the iconography. You have to assume either they are mystical beings who look this way for symbolic reasons, or alternatively that humans imagined them this way and the archangels make their appearance match expectations. This size of wings is what you see in most angels art.

So after duly overthinking it, I’m totally fine with Kier’s wing size (while the Lucifer figure’s fullsize wings are a PITA).

gooboo

This is getting parceled out on ebay now. Someone on BBS did a video review as well-

http://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=371543

Looks like the head is going for $80-$90, so I probably won't be getting that.

Annalise

Annalise
gooboo wrote:Looks like the head is going for $80-$90, so I probably won't be getting that.

I agree. The prices for the TBL heads on ebay, or at least the authentic ones, are ridiculous, imo, at or near half the price of the entire sealed set. I wish everyone would refuse to buy them for that much... It's the only thing that will make the prices come down.

But since that is unlikely to happen, I try to buy them when they appear in stock at the U.S. parts stores in the $35 - $50 range, but they're rarely available for long. So unless you're checking multiple websites pretty much every day, there is an element of luck in play as to whether you can snag one.  I'm starting to seriously consider buying the sets to get the heads I want, then sell off everything else even though I don't really want to have to deal with the extra work of selling.

Delanie

Delanie
I'm tempted to maybe get this but guess what the bit i dislike is the h/s

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Delanie wrote:I'm tempted to maybe get this but guess what the bit i dislike is the h/s

Really? That's the part I like the best (that and the wings), but since I have the original Kier, I just can't justify getting another just for the head.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 C8485110

brassco

brassco
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 Hdrpl
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 Hdrpl
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 03
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 Rpt
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 Rhdr

First look at the figure. The box is rather big, i guessed the bigger box would house the base and other accessories. There is a manual about the seamless body, not the figure though. But shouldn't be a problem assembling this Kier figure, i think. There are 2 layers in the figure box. Not too much accessories if you ask me.

The main body. 2 holes at the back, but unlike it's counterpart, it's for wings. The feet are seamless, able to stand on it's own, surprisingly, when carefully positioned. The chest guard/bra can be taken off, from the left side.

I can live with sculpted HS, but the halo is not aligned properly with the HS. As it is sculpted, the halo also couldn't be adjusted! Some camera angles did work better...

TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 Rpt
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 18

There is not much challenge in assembling the rest of the accessories. The leg guard, however, required a bit of effort. I tried not to over exert my strength to put it on, but it is ok.

TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 20

There are 3 layers on the bigger box. The first layer contains the open wings. The 2nd layer contains the folded wings. The last layer has the base.

It is fairly easy to put the claws onto the base. There's a support stand, but i did not see the need to use it.

TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 27
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 28
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 33
TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 34

I could pose the figure in at least 3 ways. If i use the cloak, i can still attach the wings. Just a bit strange though...Oh, i accidentally dropped on of the wings, but nothing broken. So i guessed the wings are plastic, although it feels heavy, almost like resin.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
She looks nice. Bit weird that they didn't sculpt the halo to align properly, but as you say, it seems to work in several of the pics.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I wonder if you heat the halo up at the pony tail if you can’t break the glue holding it in place to reposition it to where it should be — it looks like a separate piece from her hair. I have to say, my favorite part is actually the base; very cool design overall — but seems a bit... odd... for an Angel before the Fall.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague - TBLEAGUE & SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: PL2020-171 Kier: Shadow of Heaven 1/6 Scale Action Figure - Page 2 C8485110

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thank you for the review and inhand pics! She does look nice and the wings are easier to place and handle then those real feather angels, but if you have space the others also look great.

As Stryker said, the base looks good. And that little halo gives the whole figure a nice extra touch:)

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Looks nice overall, thanks for the pics brassco. Though I'm still biased and greatly prefer the original Kier Valkyrie figure, it's just so much more striking from my perspective (and I prefer the body on it, as well). This one is pretty, but I'm actually not overly keen on the halo. I don't think it should be attached. If I owned the figure, I'd probably remove it.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you very much for the photos and notes, brassco. A fine figure, and with plenty of things to like. Personally, I have no attachment to the source material, and don't know how accurate this is, although Sideshow's involvement would presumably endure that. From a purely aesthetic point, I think they could have had a more exciting armor, although some of this may be from a superabundance in light -- your photos of the figure as a whole make it look quite nice. The molded wings are probably more practical than the feather ones, and seem as nicely done as one could possibly expect. The molded hair works, although there is every reason to believe that they could have made the braids from fiber (real or synthetic), as they would attach to the rest of the hairdo where there are ornaments. For the same reason, the halo could have been detachable and repositionable, and I understand your annoyance at what they did. Unless the collar piece is supposed to sit like this (I doubt it) in the source materials, they ought to foresee it rising and find a better solution; I think we have seen this problem before. The base is gorgeous overall, although the sword detail painted over and running down the stairs bothers me. Again, I don't know if this is based on something that exists in the source materials or not. But these misgivings are all about their design choices, and you've doe a great job showing off the beautiful figure.

Annalise

Annalise
Nice, thanks. Always good to see photos of the real item.

Nekk-ra

Am I the only one who thinks she looks like Daisy Ridley? I assume TBL repainted the original Kier head sculpt, but this version seems completely different. Paint apps for the win.

And it's interesting that she can stand on her own with the seamless feet. It makes the body more useful for customs when you don't have to worry about using a stand or knee-high boots to keep her upright.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Nekk-ra wrote:Am I the only one who thinks she looks like Daisy Ridley? I assume TBL repainted the original Kier head sculpt, but this version seems completely different. Paint apps for the win.

And it's interesting that she can stand on her own with the seamless feet. It makes the body more useful for customs when you don't have to worry about using a stand or knee-high boots to keep her upright.

All the more so, where she seems standing on her own two seamless feet despite the unbalancing weight of those big wings, in comparison to some other TBL ladies who can't even support their own weight plus three postage stamps of clothing.

And I agree, the subtle paint apps above and beyond just the big color change will make this a very interesting piece to see and display next to the original Kier.  My reaction actually is the opposite of Stryker2011's above -- precisely because I have the original Kier makes me want to have this one more, not less, because the contrast will be interesting.  And I don't know what the details of her back story are supposed to be, but just visually the two figures side by side imply a very dynamic "Fallen Angel" story.

Illusion

Illusion
Thank you for posting the in hand pics!
I had been about to preorder her too but had been on the fence because of all the plastic pieces which eventually did disappoint me on Gethsemoni somehow... They just did not feel right.
However, when I saw the red eyes in the promos, she became a firm "no" for me.

But seeing her now... she IS cool. Definitely. I adore her sword - and the fact she can stand that well on those seamless feet.
(no, I will not get her. Nonetheless.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum