OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Valiarde

Awesome stuff in really no time. This was the perfect thing vor Ovy to get. He will do wonders with it.

Can't wait to visit him next time and watching that thing in live action, as I have no clue how this is working and how you scale stuff. (And also to collect a nice Morion haha)

I love how you painted them, looks like real metal - especially love the rusty Zombie helmet here.

GregT

helmets... helmets galore! an infinity of possible helmets!
it's going to be fun watching Ovy create lots of magical stuff

MeMyself&I

I’m wanting to grab a 3D printer myself and this has only made me want it more! What model do you have? Did you have to buy anything extra (I.e. how do you have it set up to cure the resin)? What 3D programs have you used/tried?

skywalkersaga

MeMyself&I wrote:I’m wanting to grab a 3D printer myself and this has only made me want it more! What model do you have? Did you have to buy anything extra (I.e. how do you have it set up to cure the resin)? What 3D programs have you used/tried?

I'd like to know more details, too! Smile

shazzdan

shazzdan
This guy does a decent review of an Elegoo Mars printer and explains how resin printing works.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
so far i had satisfying results with pla filament, so i'm sticking to it exclusively. i got a sample of petg around for some time but haven't found the motivation to experiment with it. should be about as "safe" as pla but more stable in higher temperatures, thus having to be printed around 230-240 degrees. but like i said, got my printer set up just fine with the filament and values in simplify3d so no experiments in the near future Wink

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
shazzdan wrote:This guy does a decent review of an Elegoo Mars printer and explains how resin printing works.

Thanks for the YouTube link, I’ll check it out!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's a fantastic acquisition, those helmets are really nice even if they need a bit of work.

I've been thinking about getting one but still I'm not too sure which or if I'll use it often so I don't want to spend too much on something and then not use it.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! 3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:I'm sure you will master those programs in no time (I took a quick look at them years ago, and it was a bit confusing; now I might hit you up for some fairly basic designs). The helmets you have printed so far look great, and it's nice to see things we wouldn't normally run into in the commercially-available sets.
Thanks a lot for the confidence, haven't gotten around to getting into all this magical stuff yet. It's fun to experiment with stuff you don't usually have or combine for sure.

ReverendSpooky wrote:These are all so stunning!!!!  Man, I can't believe how smoothly the resin printer prints.  And your metallic paint jobs make the helmets into something really incredible.  Those skulls and horns are just SO awesome.  Floored seeing all of these.
Yeah also wasn't expecting such a good quality is available for that money. Actually it's mostly about the LCD screens resolution, and perfect precise ones are available for 20€, so no point in spending lots of money on other machines, haha.

Great thing about the resin prints, the acrylic paints stick incredibly well, even without primer. You actually can't really scratch it off.

Tjolnir wrote:this is great stuff. right from the get go i see the advantages of a resin printer, one being not having printing halves in order to stabilize certain objects. using my filament printer a helmet would have to have added in support beams with unsure outcome of wether the top line will be accurate or messed up.

but the main no go for me and my room setup is the toxicity of resin printing . while i could eat something right next to mine, or put it in my gaming room in the far future, if i'm not mistaken neither the fumes nor stuff needed to rinse and finalize the resin is any good for ones health.

but as far as the models go, this level of detail far surpasses filament printers.
enjoy your new toy and go ham Wink i'm looking forward for anything dark souls when it comes to helmets and armor Smile
by the way , whats the max size the printer could produce in terms of items? always was a sucker for those huge knights with their tower shields in dark souls, almost 1/4 scale when put in a diorama.
Thanks, there are quite some supports needed for resin too, although the fails mostly don't come in the end, but the beginning.

The build plate is 115mm x 65mm with a height of 150mm. Followed a tip by my brother to decide which printer to get. And made little scales beforehand.
The red one ist the Elegoo Mars, the other two are from Anycubic. The blue one was under 100€ on Black Friday even, but a bit too small for stuff like those big russian helmets. The yellow one cost a lot more, so I chose the Mars.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20210102-210755

Remember that models are to be tilted in a 30 to 45 degrees, so a shield could be higher than 150mm. But haven't tried such large stuff yet.

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Wow! 
Very Happy
Stryker2011 wrote:Such an impressive amount of work in such a short time. Some really great stuff.
Thanks, and yeah it's a fast thing for our scale. Actually didn't have that much time over the last days, but preparing a bunch of prints in the program and then starting prints after getting up, before work and before going to sleep really helps feeling productive.

shazzdan wrote:
Tjolnir wrote:but the main no go for me and my room setup is the toxicity of resin printing . while i could eat something rightnext to mine, or put it in my gaming room in the far future, if i'm not mistaken neither the fumes nor stuff needed to rinse and finalize the resin is any good for ones health.
Depends on the filament. ABS and Nylon emit high levels of styrene which is a suspected carcinogen and known to cause headaches, drowsiness, and fatigue. PLA is safer, the main gas it emits is lactide, which is less toxic, but can still cause problems with long-term exposure.
Yeah, nasty stuff, resin being the nastiest. So glasd my print room is so far away from everything and ventilatable.

Valiarde wrote:Awesome stuff in really no time. This was the perfect thing vor Ovy to get. He will do wonders with it.

Can't wait to visit him next time and watching that thing in live action, as I have no clue how this is working and how you scale stuff. (And also to collect a nice Morion haha)

I love how you painted them, looks like real metal - especially love the rusty Zombie helmet here.
Haha thanks. It's hard to explain, but not that complicated actually. Resin print was invented in the 70s but they didn't have those neat cheap smartphone LCD screens back then.

The rust is achieved wir Vallejo Pigment binder and multiple brown and rust colored Pigments cut from pastels and Vallejo pigments.

GregT wrote:helmets... helmets galore! an infinity of possible helmets!
it's going to be fun watching Ovy create lots of magical stuff
Thanks a lot! Yeah it's magic.

skywalkersaga wrote:
MeMyself&I wrote:I’m wanting to grab a 3D printer myself and this has only made me want it more! What model do you have? Did you have to buy anything extra (I.e. how do you have it set up to cure the resin)? What 3D programs have you used/tried?

I'd like to know more details, too! Smile
Yeah I own the Elegoo Mars Pro as mentioned. The video shazzdan posted covers it mostly. 
Until now I only used the Chitubox Slicer that it freeware, it's very simple but works for beginners. Didn't do much with other 3d software yet, blender is a lot to learn if you have never done something with 3d as me, haha.

For cleaning you either need a little tub (about 3 litres) filled with Isopropyl alcohol or Ethanol (Ethanol is much much cheaper since IPA is used for desinfectants...) And a UV lamp/light, many use these Nailpolish curing thingies.
The cheapest UV lamp is the sun© of course, but it takes longer. I use the sun© to let the supports etc cure for free.

Or get a wash and curing station for more comfort as I did, cost me 75€ in black Friday times. Before I explain, here a video:

Also needed: nithril gloves and breathers/masks.

I buy the grey Elegoo Mars resin, 1kg for around 25€. You can build a lot with that. There is also water washable resin. It's a bit more expensive, but you don't need the alcohol. The water is still toxic waste after use though, so don't use it in the sink. Let the stuff evaporate outside.

shazzdan wrote:This guy does a decent review of an Elegoo Mars printer and explains how resin printing works.

Thanks, yeah Thomas is ze go to guy for everything 3d printing.
He also compared the three versions of the Mars:

And of course check out my favourite sockperson Crafsman reviewing the mars and the anycubic photon, without former experience of 3d printing.

Tjolnir wrote:so far i had satisfying results with pla filament, so i'm sticking to it exclusively. i got a sample of petg around for some time but haven't found the motivation to experiment with it. should be about as "safe" as pla but more stable in higher temperatures, thus having to be printed around 230-240 degrees. but like i said, got my printer set up just fine with the filament and values in simplify3d so no experiments in the near future Wink
Yeah it's probably the wisest choice health wise, haha. If you ever need something resin printed, sag bescheid.

Theboo-bomb wrote:That's a fantastic acquisition, those helmets are really nice even if they need a bit of work.

I've been thinking about getting one but still I'm not too sure which or if I'll use it often so I don't want to spend too much on something and then not use it.

Thanks a lot! Yeah I knew I would probably need it a lot as I was already browsing for tons of models to get printed by my brother, but he has that SLA printer like Tjolnir that produces mechanical sturdier stuff but has these line textures that don't work for most of the detail mini stuff I want to make. 

Here some.more boring modern helmets. Chose the French Spectra helmets for my apocalyptic knights, as they are/were widely used in Europe and also the UN blue helmets they want to emulate.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20210102-150647

And of course my favourite Swiss Russian helmet, covered in nasty texture paint to be used by rusty warriors like Xykkurji.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20210102-150751

And I made squirrels.
"Squirrels, how many Ovy?
"Yes."
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20210102-150156

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20210102-150235

I try to get the Lewis Chessmen set I printed painted tomorrow, they are super cute.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
All of this is so awesome. I'm going to live vicariously through your 3D printing updates!

I also realised I missed something you mentioned in your first post.... you made an articulated baby??? LOL.

And you have some sort of surprise yet to be revealed. Hmm.... I have so many guesses. :'D

ETA: Excited about those Lewis Chessman!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL, looks like you have a little rodent infestation there... but a delightful one anyway!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I hope we get to see your yard rat army in some environment at some point. Looks fun.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 C8485110

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
dankeschoen, komm gerne auf dein angebot zurueck wenn ich was brauche Wink

but hot damn those squirrels look smooth Smile this machine gives "army building" a whole new meaning.
right now i'm stuck with 1/12 tmnt and with the rat king on the way.... you guessed it, i'll print rats Smile only those tails give me worries in such a small scale.
as for durability, it turns out skeletons for example, articulated ones at that, tend to break at the ball joints just as well. but all in all yeah you can abuse pla quite much.
but once warmed up with a hair dryer, i.e to pop in said joints, it won't move back into position and kina loses its shape/tightness.
petg might be a solution here.

but nothing beats the speed of the resin squirrel maker 2000 Smile
keep the good stuff coming

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:All of this is so awesome. I'm going to live vicariously through your 3D printing updates!

I also realised I missed something you mentioned in your first post.... you made an articulated baby??? LOL.

And you have some sort of surprise yet to be revealed. Hmm.... I have so many guesses. :'D

ETA: Excited about those Lewis Chessman!
Thanks a lot! Yeah, the baby is what I think is a scan of an elastic baby doll, so the sockets of the parts where too big and there were no holes, I hollowed out the model in the program. I sanded a bit now it fits, but the parts fall off the body all the time, don't know yet what I will do to make it into a stable mini.

It looks much bigger on the photos than it actually is somehow.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210104_210111

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210104_210200

GubernatorFan wrote:LOL, looks like you have a little rodent infestation there... but a delightful one anyway!

Thanks sir, I actually made some outdoor shots last year.

Stryker2011 wrote:I hope we get to see your yard rat army in some environment at some point. Looks fun.

Three are enough for now, haha.

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20201213-165209

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20201213-170348

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20201213-170025

Tjolnir wrote:dankeschoen, komm gerne auf dein angebot zurueck wenn ich was brauche Wink

but hot damn those squirrels look smooth Smile this machine gives "army building" a whole new meaning.
right now i'm stuck with 1/12 tmnt and with the rat king on the way.... you guessed it, i'll print rats Smile only those tails give me worries in such a small scale.
as for durability, it turns out skeletons for example, articulated ones at that, tend to break at the ball joints just as well. but all in all yeah you can abuse pla quite much.
but once warmed up with a hair dryer, i.e to pop in said joints, it won't move back into position and kina loses its shape/tightness.
petg might be a solution here.

but nothing beats the speed of the resin squirrel maker 2000 Smile
keep the good stuff coming
Thanks a lot!
And nice, found any good 3d models of rats?

Here the Lewis Chessmen, my first print of the year.

Here how I arranged them directly on the build plate still covered in resin.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210104_210441

I only primed them yet, details might pop out more after a brown wash. Placeholder chessboard, don't know yet how to make one, stencil and paint or make 64 little squares and glue them together.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210104_210711

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210104_210740

There was a set of detailed ones and other versions of less detailed ones (where you can not see the eyes etc), I mixed them. Pawns look all the same and boring, until I decided for myself they are cute little owls in my world. I also printed them in three slightly different sizes as I read the real Lewis pawns have different sizes.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210104_211024

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Love the Lewis set. So cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Amazing work on those chessman, Ovy! You are making me want to do some historical figures.... if only I had the time and supplies ....

The baby is a great idea, and very creative use of the 3D printer.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow... the gift that keeps on giving indeed! The rodents are precious, the Lewis chessmen are exquisite and a perfect choice, and the baby looks very promising. I'm sure you'll figure out a trick. Shovelchop used to solve many such dilemmas with Lego parts. I guess resin has little give to it, even when heated, which is where rubber and plastic/polymer-based parts come more handy. But I'm sure you'll find a way.

Valiarde

Valiarde
I said it before but the chess pieces look so good, like made of marble or ivory. I wonder which material you will use for the board. Wood? XPS?

Reading that you used different heights for the pawns is so much love to details.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
A baby, an army of squirrels and a chess set. Sounds like the start of a surrealist movie of some kind. Those are fantastic, specially those squirrels the details are really good.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! 3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 1f60e

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
This is just some awesome work Ovy, and will only further your already abundant creativity! Shocked

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
hi and sorry for the late reply. was down with a bad cold or something, at least covid test was negative.
as for the rats, if i remember correctly, those two are what i had in mind for my rat king project.
the more detailed one minus the whiskers of course =)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:586166

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4543001

second are rather for background purposes, easier to print but lacking in detail.
cheers

shazzdan

shazzdan
Love the chess set. Have you tried a 1:6 version?

blackpool

blackpool
geeez that's absolutely stunning!!! Only one question left, where can we order and when are you opening your store?

seriously fantastic work, the quality and level of detail is fantastic!!!

ukshaun

ukshaun
I am waiting for someone to 3D some 1/6 scale light switches, plug sockets etc

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Love the Lewis set. So cool.
Yeah it's great, only need some chessboards now.  Very Happy

skywalkersaga wrote:Amazing work on those chessman, Ovy! You are making me want to do some historical figures.... if only I had the time and supplies ....

The baby is a great idea, and very creative use of the 3D printer.
Thanks! Yeah, we all need more... supply of time.

GubernatorFan wrote:Wow... the gift that keeps on giving indeed! The rodents are precious, the Lewis chessmen are exquisite and a perfect choice, and the baby looks very promising. I'm sure you'll figure out a trick. Shovelchop used to solve many such dilemmas with Lego parts. I guess resin has little give to it, even when heated, which is where rubber and plastic/polymer-based parts come more handy. But I'm sure you'll find a way.
Thanks a lot, yes maybe little lego joints are the way to go, or just regular one dot lego parts might work, thanks for the suggestion!

Valiarde wrote:I said it before but the chess pieces look so good, like made of marble or ivory. I wonder which material you will use for the board. Wood? XPS?

Reading that you used different heights for the pawns is so much love to details.

Thanks!
Not sure about the board though yet. Need a reliable way to perfectly cut squares maybe. Or just print it in color somewhere Laughing

Theboo-bomb wrote:A baby, an army of squirrels and a chess set. Sounds like the start of a surrealist movie of some kind. Those are fantastic, specially those squirrels the details are really good.
Yeah some great models out there. And I would watch that movie probably. I guess it's French or Spanish and from the 60s or 70s.

tankgirlfuzzy wrote:This is just some awesome work Ovy, and will only further your already abundant creativity! Shocked

Thanks so much!

Tjolnir wrote:hi and sorry for the late reply. was down with a bad cold or something, at least covid test was negative.
as for the rats, if i remember correctly, those two are what i had in mind for my rat king project.
the more detailed one minus the whiskers of course =)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:586166

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4543001

second are rather for background purposes, easier to print but lacking in detail.
cheers

Hope you are well! Don't worry I am a late responder too, haha. The first rat I actually downloaded some time ago, but was afraid the whiskers would mess up the print, but now I know how to remove stuff like that in blender. You will hear from me when I had successful prints.

blackpool wrote:geeez that's absolutely stunning!!! Only one question left, where can we order and when are you opening your store?

seriously fantastic work, the quality and level of detail is fantastic!!!
Thanks a lot! And I will only open an offical store if I am able to learn how to make interesting 3d models myself.
The other business is handled via PM. So if you need something, France is not that far away.  Laughing

ukshaun wrote:I am waiting for someone to 3D some 1/6 scale light switches, plug sockets etc
Yeah I will be on the lookout for that. You could check thingiverse too.

shazzdan wrote:Love the chess set. Have you tried a 1:6 version?
Ha, sir, look closely, they were 1/6 all along!

3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210114_204028

I added thin browns to the paintjob, now at least the white guys look more accurate, really brings out the fine detail
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210114_204152

Just look how detailed the 3d models are. Some less detailed faceless ones in between from another maker.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210114_204431

When printing directly on the plate, there are those little pools around the model. The three on the right still have these, sanded them all down like an idiot.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210113_184728

I made other sets the same way, but the bases looked a bit inaccurate on some. Then I printed them on a raft with supports, this way you can wash and paint them easier and no details get lost.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX-20210114-203644

Watched Queen's Gambit for the mood while preparing and painting all these figures. Really good show! Didn't think chess could be that exciting. I still have no idea what they did while playing most of the time.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210114_203903

Made a regular black and white Staunton chess set.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210114_203500

An a wooden Dubrovnik Chess set. Looks a bit too shiny and no wood texture, maybe it will look better on a chess board in similar colors. Notice the reversed tips of the bishops, haha.
3D Printer, Ovy finally got one! [Three 1/6 Chess sets] - Page 2 PSX_20210114_203415

I still don't know much about chess, no clue of tactics or knowledge of openings at all. I played as a kid a bit.
But then I watched this video. Don't want to boast, but many of my intuitive tactics back then appear in this master class video. Maybe I am a born  chess master after all.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sixth-scale chess pieces... brilliant. Someone did it before in metal, but these (both the Lewis and modern sets) look so much more natural. Good luck with Lego articulation experiments on the baby. Can't wait to see what you figure out.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Ovy wrote:
Look at what? How can anyone tell how big they are when there is nothing to gauge the scale?

Diana

Diana
Those chess sets look awesome!! (And the helmets, too!)

Valiarde

Valiarde
shazzdan wrote:
Ovy wrote:
Look at what? How can anyone tell how big they are when there is nothing to gauge the scale?

It is really hard to see the scale - I was also wondering when Ovy send me the pics first time. But then I saw the Reichskrone and the knight helmet and thought: Yeah it should be 1/6 scale. But 1:1 chess also comes in various scales - I had a mini chess board for my pocket as a teen lol

figures look super real and cute

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum