OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Empty NEW Character Added Chips Journalists Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:57 am

Chip

I have a keen interest in military Journalists , particularly those from the Vietnam conflict . I thought I would club them together here .

This first figure I based on Sean Flynn , he is the son of the famous actors Errol Flynn and his wife  Lili Damita . He followed his parents in a career of acting , but became bored of it , and ended up as a freelance journalist for Time Magazine working on the Vietnam conflict . In search of new and different photos , Sean was said to of travelled with Special Forces units , often into remote areas . In 1970 , Sean and fellow photographer Dana Stone went on an assignment into Cambodia , they were sadly never seen again , and it`s believed they were captured by the Vietcong but later fell into the hands of the Khmer Rouge , a communist organisation in Cambodia .

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  P1100781

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  P1100777

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  P1100776

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  P1100782

Chip

Meet Tim Page . At only Seventeen years old , Englishman Tim Page left home to travel across Europe , and later into the Middle East , India and Nepal .  He eventually reached Laos at the time when it was in Civil war , where he started his career as a Freelance Journalist . Later he moved on to Saigon . ( Now called Ho Chi Ming City ) . Where he covered the Vietnam War , working for Time - Life , UPI amongst others . Tim Seemed addicted to danger and excitement , and was keen on the use of recreational drugs , which were easily accessible at the time in NAM  , this rather brave but reckless attitude has led him to be an iconic photographer from the Vietnam war . Wounded more than once , the worst injury he received , was when He jumped from a Helicopter to help load the wounded and a troop in front of him stepped on a mine . he was pronounced dead on arrival at the Hospital , but after extensive neuro surgery , he survived and spent most of the 70s in recovery . Tim was best of Friends with fellow Journalist Sean Flynn and it was whilst he was in recovery , that he learned his best friend had gone missing in Cambodia , he spent years looking for his friend , but he was never found . Tim has written a few books , and there is a good deal about him , that explains his character in the book " Despatches " .

His bag was scratch made , and I based it on a Billingham , note the Kodachrome can in the harness , also scratch made , the cameras are modified Modern Action Man ones I believe .

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Tim-1-P1100799

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Tim-2-P1100793

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Tim_3_P1100803

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Tim_4_P1100801

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Tim_5_P1100797

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Tim_6_P1100796

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Tim_7_P1100787

Illusion

Illusion
That is really cool. I love the details on them (esp. the cigarettes)
It's great how easily knowledge can be shared based on figures or how you get triggered to google stuff you never thought you would.
Thank you.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Excellent figures. I love all the details, and the recreation of actual persons from history to begin with. The connections between them, too. Had to look up some of this (had no idea), and yes, it all checks out. I also know these tie in with other parts of your collection.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, excellent work bringing unique historical figures to life. The detail in their outfits and accessories is very pleasing. And I never knew what had happened to Errol Flynn's son -- how tragic!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Chip

Thanks for the very kind comments , they are much appreciated . I am really glad it got you looking these guys up , and that you found them of interest , as do I .

PitViper

PitViper
Outstanding work. Inspiring.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
These are both really great, and the added history lessen is inspiring, indeed. If you’ve never seen it, there was a movie made in the 80s, following a trend started with Platoon, to cover more realistic stories about Vietnam, and dealing specifically with the story of a combat photographer called “84 Charlie Mopic”.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  C8485110

BAMComix

BAMComix
Superb Chip! I have always admiring your journalists. They are always so well presented and have such high detail to them!

Chip

Stryker2011 wrote:These are both really great, and the added history lessen is inspiring, indeed. If you’ve never seen it, there was a movie made in the 80s, following a trend started with Platoon, to cover more realistic stories about Vietnam, and dealing specifically with the story of a combat photographer called “84 Charlie Mopic”.

Thanks Very Happy I will check out the 84 Charlie Mopic you mention . Sounds good .

Thanks for the further comments PitViper , and Dal . Much appreciated .

Chip

Joe Galloway , made famous for his photography and writings during the Vietnam war , and particularly that horrific battle at La Drang with the 7th Cav regiment commanded by Lt. Col. Hal Moore . Most of you have likely seen the movie based on that battle known as We were Soldiers once ..... and young . During that Battle , Joe did use a rifle to protect himself and other U.S soldiers for which he received the Bronze Star . That was not the only time he used a weapon during his work there . Joe worked for UPI and was determined to cover the Vietnam war , almost begging his bosses to send him there , in 1965 at the age of 23 he got his wish . He started out covering the Marines , where he claims . " I cut my teeth on the Marines and made every operation in I Corps " . In later years When he was first introduced to General Giap in Hanoi, he turned to Joe and said: “Ah yes, the reporter who carried a rifle. I heard about you.” I have based my figure both on Barry Pepper in that great movie , and some researched stuff . He was given the helmet by an Army colonel who noticed him wearing a beret during battle. The vintage Nikon was I had 3D printed . I hope you enjoy my take on Joe .

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-0-IMG-5893

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-1-IMG-5909

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-2-IMG-5905

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-3-IMG-5869

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-4-IMG-5877

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-9-P1100931

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-6-IMG-5913

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-7-IMG-5942

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Joe-8-IMG-5954

12NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Empty Re: NEW Character Added Chips Journalists Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:25 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another cool figure, Chip. Looks like it is closer to the onscreen version, but a great choice and nicely recreated. Love the details -- from the writing and drawing on the helmet to your painting of the camera.

13NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Empty Re: NEW Character Added Chips Journalists Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 pm

davidd

davidd
Excellent fig! Nicely detailed, as always! Love the artwork on the helmet! The backstory is fascinating!

14NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Empty Re: NEW Character Added Chips Journalists Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:22 pm

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Good work. I like that you provide their backstories.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Joe turned out great. That camera is really cool. Excellent bash.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Another wonderful figure. That camera is amazing -- great paint job, and I also love how you did the strap.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Chip

Thanks so much for the further comments and compliments , I have some more to show you . Smile

Chip

Another Englishmen Larry Burrows . Larry was a staff photographer for Life Magazine covering the Vietnam war , though he was also a war correspondent for a few other conflicts before the NAM , including Lebanon ,Iraq and the Congo . He is probably best known for his work in the NAM though . To me he was a very much in your face photographer , his photos don`t pull any punches and often tell some both harrowing and moving stories . He done what he could to live the lives what the Grunts were living , He flew with combat missions , lived on military bases and stayed in the thick of things even under enemy fire . Larry was killed in 1971 along with some other journalists , when the chopper he was riding in was shot down over Laos .

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-1-P1100926

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-2-P1100923

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-3-P1040410

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-4-P1040413

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-5-P1040477

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-6-P1040436

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-7-P1040479

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Larry-8-P1040394

BAMComix

BAMComix
Amazing work Chip! as I have said before, so much detail packed into each one, I never know what to look at first! Very Happy

20NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Empty Re: NEW Character Added Chips Journalists Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:46 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I looked him up and see the resemblance. Although I can't help but think of the actor that played Caesar in HBO's series Rome, for some reason. Anyway, great job. And no less than three cameras? This guy does mean business.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's another good looking figure. Love all the camera equipment.

Ovy

Ovy
Woow great job, and that they are all based on real persons, so interesting. To be honest, nothing against Private Joker or that Dennis Hopper character, but these here feel much more organic/real. Really like those details and cameras. And super tragic and dangerous, at least that hasn't changed.
Do you do any present day war reporters too?

GubernatorFan wrote:I looked him up and see the resemblance. Although I can't help but think of the actor that played Caesar in HBO's series Rome, for some reason. Anyway, great job. And no less than three cameras? This guy does mean business.
I think that's the journalist's equivalent of these guys full of machinegun belts and grenades.

Chip

Thanks for the further kind words and comments . I have more to show you , but that exhausts the figures I based on real people , but that does not necessarily mean that I have finished on those . Very Happy

Diana

Diana
What a cool interest to have, and the figures look great!

Chip

Thanks Diana . Very Happy

This figure is from my imagination , and I think he is useable for the NAM period too . He is dressed in a more civilian way than the previous ones , I feel he has the look of a Frenchman , and so have named him " Sean Piere " .

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Piere-1-P1100913

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Piere-2-P1100912

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Piere-4-P1100915

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Piere-5-P1100919

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Piere-6-P1100911

NEW Character Added Chips Journalists  Piere-7-P1100916

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum