OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

ZombieTestSubject

Thanks guys for the review and comparisons. It's really not that bad, tho some parts are kinda too rounded and I agree the TBL bodies are better.

skywalkersaga

Thanks for that comparison line-up, GeeW. Definitely helpful to see them partially clothed. I think my fave of the Jiaou's in that pic is actually the first one... the J10. Is that body still available? (Sorry to be out of it, I can't keep up with this stuff anymore...)

GeeWillikers

skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for that comparison line-up, GeeW. Definitely helpful to see them partially clothed. I think my fave of the Jiaou's in that pic is actually the first one... the J10. Is that body still available? (Sorry to be out of it, I can't keep up with this stuff anymore...)

The upgraded version of the J10 is actually the 'newest' of the three male Jbodies (not counting the 'new' four colour-option J12, which doesn't seem to be released yet - the currently available J12s are three colours only). The J10s are all over Ebay and AliExpress at the moment, although as few sellers seem to know or care about the model numbers you need to be absolutely certain which one you're getting before you buy. GianToy don't seem to be selling them at all unfortunately (I might drop them an email and ask if they intend doing so).

I think the J10 is my favourite too right now, even over the TBLs. It's still muscular but a more realistic, average, and easier to clothe shape. TBL generally has the advantage in terms of durability and posability, but Jiaou seem to be catching up there too if their newest J10 male and JQ female bodies are anything to judge by - both bodies seem like a significant step up in design and manufacture (only time will tell on that last point I suppose as in my experience the J bodies tend to deteriorate quickly).

skywalkersaga

Thanks again for clarifying! I'm definitely interested in that one, as I think it could be useful. Is the 'black/grey' skintone the one that compares most to the male tbleague skintone? While I prefer the suntan as it's warmer and seems a bit more realistic, it would be good to be able to match certain heads to it...

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
As far as the black/grey (PS) model goes, I can only speak for the PS11 but yes that's a decent enough match for the male TBL suntan, maybe just a little bit darker. It matches well with darker DAMTOYS heads, at least. But it's worth noting the differences between BS/'wheat' above between different models.

I am planning on getting a PS10 at some point, so I'll find out then if those differences in the 'same' tone extend to other colours/models I guess.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ok, I gave up on trying to establish a rule as to how these skin tones align and erased my last post that attempted just that. They vary between products (even within the same company) and look different in different light. Here is another take, with all of the Jiaou Doll male bodies compared to a TBLeague M33.

The first male seamless body Jiaou released was the 11C, followed by the 10A ("teen"), followed by the 12D ("strong"). All are available in the three skin tones "natural" (YS, actually super yellowish pale), "wheat" (BS, actually warm very light tan), and "black" (PS, actually cool light-to-medium tan). 12D is supposed to have an additional, warmer and darker version of the BS skin tone, but I don't know if that has been released. Given the hurry and the multiplicity of bodies, I did not bother trying to match heads. All are shot in natural but indirect light. The fourth shot shows all of them together. One can draw their own conclusions. Given how pale and light yellowish the YS body is, I never purchased more than the very first one of it for either the male or female figures: it is practically impossible to match with head sculpts. I realized that the off-putting wide hips issue with the Jiaou male figures is most apparent with the 12D ("strong") bodies, but the overly-elongated upper legs are present on all three Jiaou male body types.

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 - Page 2 Jdtbm112

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 - Page 2 Jdtbm113

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 - Page 2 Jdtbm114

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 - Page 2 Jdtbm115

For archival purposes, here is a comparison between Jiaou's 11C male bodies with some of their female body skin tones available at the time for detachable-foot female figures. These were shot with under artificial light, albeit advertised as "daylight."

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 - Page 2 Jd201810

Hope this helps.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Super helpful thread as always from you. This board is the best source for bodies on the internet! Thank you, some good options to choose from here

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
Apologies if you had covered the questions I'm about to ask but I have two.

# 1: Do the more muscular/bulky bodies have trouble holding poses since the TPE would probably want to bend back into shape?

# 2: Can you tell any quality differences between TBLeague vs Jiaou? Is Jiaou an equal competitor?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Suchsneak wrote:Apologies if you had covered the questions I'm about to ask but I have two.

# 1: Do the more muscular/bulky bodies have trouble holding poses since the TPE would probably want to bend back into shape?

# 2: Can you tell any quality differences between TBLeague vs Jiaou? Is Jiaou an equal competitor?

1. To a point yes, they can hold their poses, but to a point they can do that only so much -- you can bend limbs farther than they would actually stay, because there is a little bit of bounce back due to the "flesh." The pictures above should give you an idea of what is possible, although I'm not sure I have thought of every single pose (actually, check out the super photo-heavy TBLeague M35 review -- their bulkiest body -- which probably would cover everything: HERE). Generally, TBLeague has been better at that than Jiaou, but I think in that respect the newest Jiaou male bodies (12D) have perhaps improved a bit from where they were before.

2. Yes, there is a difference. Jiaou was very promising when we first heard of it, but it is not quite as good, although TBLeague is not perfect either. Issues with Jiaou include: A generally less robust skin/surface, which appears to be more easily damaged or stained. Metal joints but no full metal skeleton. Strange proportions or looks (ankle on seamless-ankled females, extra long upper legs on males, very wide hips on some models of either sex). Slightly less articulation/ability to hold more extreme poses. On the other hand, they come with more stuff (you can read about that above, similarly with the female bodies), and offer more options as to skin tone (although they are consistently advertised with misleadingly rich colors). Since the price of Jiaou Dolls is not (last I checked) substantially lower, I tend to stick with TBLeague. But Jiaou can be a passable substitute, and occasionally might have an advantage for specific purposes.

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
GubernatorFan wrote:
Suchsneak wrote:Apologies if you had covered the questions I'm about to ask but I have two.

1. To a point yes, they can hold their poses, but to a point they can do that only so much -- you can bend limbs farther than they would actually stay, because there is a little bit of bounce back due to the "flesh." The pictures above should give you an idea of what is possible, although I'm not sure I have thought of every single pose (actually, check out the super photo-heavy TBLeague M35 review -- their bulkiest body -- which probably would cover everything: HERE). Generally, TBLeague has been better at that than Jiaou, but I think in that respect the newest Jiaou male bodies (12D) have perhaps improved a bit from where they were before.

2. Yes, there is a difference. Jiaou was very promising when we first heard of it, but it is not quite as good, although TBLeague is not perfect either. Issues with Jiaou include: A generally less robust skin/surface, which appears to be more easily damaged or stained. Metal joints but no full metal skeleton. Strange proportions or looks (ankle on seamless-ankled females, extra long upper legs on males, very wide hips on some models of either sex). Slightly less articulation/ability to hold more extreme poses. On the other hand, they come with more stuff (you can read about that above, similarly with the female bodies), and offer more options as to skin tone (although they are consistently advertised with misleadingly rich colors). Since the price of Jiaou Dolls is not (last I checked) substantially lower, I tend to stick with TBLeague. But Jiaou can be a passable substitute, and occasionally might have an advantage for specific purposes.

Thank you for your very thorough answers, I appreciate all the guides and comparisons you're making greatly! Smile

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
The following is a bit more of a general overview than specific to the male bodies, but it might be useful Smile

You need to shop around carefully of course, but Jiaou dolls can be as much as £10-£15 cheaper than their TBL equivalents, which I'd say is a reasonable adjustment for what you get.

Neither body is perfect yet as Gub points out above, but basically: currently Jiaous are OK for relatively static non-demanding poses, while TBLs are better for more dynamic poses and lend themselves more to characters who may need to show some (or a lot) of skin. Neither type are particularly easy to find oufits for but with a couple of exceptions Jiaous tend to be slimmer and so easier to dress.

One very important drawback with the Jiaou bodies that I've discovered (through owning 20+ of them) however is that they tend to deteriorate quite quickly, but I imagine this would be less of an issue if you keep them clothed and in a static pose.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Suchsneak wrote:Thank you for your very thorough answers, I appreciate all the guides and comparisons you're making greatly! Smile

You are very welcome. If you haven't done so already, you might find taking a look at the following helpful too, for TBLeague bodies:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3013-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-with-steel-skeleton-catalog-updated-continually

GeeWillikers wrote:Jiaou dolls can be as much as £10-£15 cheaper than their TBL equivalents, which I'd say is a reasonable adjustment for what you get. Neither body is perfect yet as Gub points out above, but basically: currently Jiaous are OK for relatively static non-demanding poses, while TBLs are better for more dynamic poses and lend themselves more to characters who may need to show some (or a lot) of skin. Neither type are particularly easy to find oufits for but with a couple of exceptions Jiaous tend to be slimmer and so easier to dress. One very important drawback with the Jiaou bodies that I've discovered (through owning 20+ of them) however is that they tend to deteriorate quite quickly, but I imagine this would be less of an issue if you keep them clothed and in a static pose.

Perhaps you can find some Jiaou bodies cheaper (I haven't noticed a consistent trend, at least at the time of first release -- the prices may vary more later on), but if they are going to be less poseable and deteriorate faster, I'm not sure the price is a good trade off. That is why, after some initial excited shopping, I've ended up buying very very few. My female fantasy warriors are actually Jiaou Doll female bodies -- in part because I wouldn't feel as upset if they got stained or damaged by the outfit (which they actually have not, I think).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3810-cynanesque-female-fantasy-warriors-updated-with-part-ii-agathodaimon

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
GubernatorFan wrote:Perhaps you can find some Jiaou bodies cheaper (I haven't noticed a consistent trend, at least at the time of first release -- the prices may vary more later on), but if they are going to be less poseable and deteriorate faster, I'm not sure the price is a good trade off. That is why, after some initial excited shopping, I've ended up buying very very few. My female fantasy warriors are actually Jiaou Doll female bodies -- in part because I wouldn't feel as upset if they got stained or damaged by the outfit (which they actually have not, I think).

Yeah I have noticed that amongst the general Pandemic/Brexit chaos of recent times that prices on the Jiaou bodies have risen sharply over the last few months on places like Ebay. GianToy at least are still pricing them competitively though. It depends on what you want them for, I suppose. Admittedly I too became less enthusiastic for the Jiaous after an initial buying spree (the one-of-each J10 male and JQ female bodies I've bought recently are the first ones I've bought in over a year).

The worst case of body-staining from clothing I've experienced was with a Jiaou brown body that's still stained from a black leotard two years later. With a TBL it's at least more likely that stains will fade or become absorbed over time, even if they can't be cleaned immediately, but with this particular Jaiou, the stain is still there exactly as vivid as it was the day it happened.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
GeeWillikers wrote:The worst case of body-staining from clothing I've experienced was with a Jiaou brown body that's still stained from a black leotard two years later. With a TBL it's at least more likely that stains will fade or become absorbed over time, even if they can't be cleaned immediately, but with this particular Jaiou, the stain is still there exactly as vivid as it was the day it happened.

Interesting. It might be just coincidence, but I had a "brown" female body (in the archival comparison photo above) that got badly stained by some black clothing. I managed to wash and clean it, applied protective powder, but when I took it out of the box weeks later, it had broken out into splotches of darker color. TBLeague surface, although now also identified as TPE, appears to stain less and to be easier to clean or absorb the stain over time.

Ovy

Ovy
Ah nice to see this one reviewed. While I like the leaner Jiaou body ( the only Jiaou product I own), there was always something off with his behind when I saw him on ebay.

And you just happen to have a Temuera Morrison head. He looks like a clone trooper veteran turned stripper or adult film actor.
I can't think of any fitting name that rhymes with 'Captain Rex', though.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Ah nice to see this one reviewed. While I like the leaner Jiaou body ( the only Jiaou product I own), there was always something off with his behind when I saw him on ebay.

And you just happen to have a Temuera Morrison head. He looks like a clone trooper veteran turned stripper or adult film actor. I can't think of any fitting name that rhymes with 'Captain Rex', though.

LOL, really? Captain Sex must be too obvious. Yep, this 12D body is a little off in a few areas, but that part is probably the most questionable. By leaner do you mean 10A?

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:
Ovy wrote:Ah nice to see this one reviewed. While I like the leaner Jiaou body ( the only Jiaou product I own), there was always something off with his behind when I saw him on ebay.

And you just happen to have a Temuera Morrison head. He looks like a clone trooper veteran turned stripper or adult film actor. I can't think of any fitting name that rhymes with 'Captain Rex', though.

LOL, really? Captain Sex must be too obvious. Yep, this 12D body is a little off in a few areas, but that part is probably the most questionable. By leaner do you mean 10A?

I actually had no idea how these bodies were called before I saw this thread, so thanks for that. I meant the 11A, never seen the 10A before tbh. Good alternative to the m31 I think.

Although I am biased against Jiaou. The extreme smell might go away after a while, but the one Jiaou body I have has more damage than all my tbleauges combined, so I gave him a tight suit to hide it.

"Singaporean plagiarism can't beat good ol' Chinese quality." -Confucius

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:I actually had no idea how these bodies were called before I saw this thread, so thanks for that. I meant the 11A, never seen the 10A before tbh. Good alternative to the m31 I think.

Although I am biased against Jiaou. The extreme smell might go away after a while, but the one Jiaou body I have has more damage than all my tbleauges combined, so I gave him a tight suit to hide it.

LOL Wait, Jiaou is Singaporean? The 11C is, I'm pretty sure, the first Jiaou male body released. Except for the shape of the legs and not having a complete metal skeleton and the resulting better poseability, it is arguably a better alternative than M31. Sounds like you found a good solution for your damaged body.

Gizems nice Kittens

Gizems nice Kittens
We are in the process of getting a man into the house and have already chosen the T800 Arnold Schwarzenegger with glasses as the head. The M34 from TBLeague was recommended for this, but it is not currently available from Giantoy. Does anyone know how the M35 fits in terms of proportions and colour? Or is there a more suitable one?
Sorry to use your thread for this, but I didn't want to start a new one.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Gizems nice Kittens wrote:We are in the process of getting a man into the house and have already chosen the T800 Arnold Schwarzenegger with glasses as the head. The M34 from TBLeague was recommended for this, but it is not currently available from Giantoy. Does anyone know how the M35 fits in terms of proportions and colour? Or is there a more suitable one?
Sorry to use your thread for this, but I didn't want to start a new one.

Both M34 and M35 were designed by TBLeague with Arnie in mind (actually his physique varies according to period/movie). Both bodies are nice, although M34 would be the easier one to clothe in general -- yet you can find options designed for these muscle bodies and those will probably fit both. You can browse through the "Clothing TBLeague bodies" topic linked below. In general compare bodies in the "TBLeague Seamless Bodies Catalog," linked below (which also includes links to my reviews of the various models). You can read a thorough review and see a ton of photos of the M35 body (including comparisons to M34) at the link below:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t247-tbleague-phicen-m35-updated-photo-heavy

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3013-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-with-steel-skeleton-catalog-updated-continually

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1403-clothing-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-updated-part-xxiii-january-28-2021

Gizems nice Kittens

Gizems nice Kittens
Thank you for the links, I thought you had something there. The forum search didn't really get me anywhere.

Now I'm thinking whether the M33 might be enough, but I think that's a matter of taste.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Gizems nice Kittens wrote:Thank you for the links, I thought you had something there. The forum search didn't really get me anywhere.

Now I'm thinking whether the M33 might be enough, but I think that's a matter of taste.

You are very welcome, happy to help (if help I did). Yes, the internal forum search feature is not great. I recommend going to Google search and typing in the search box whatever it is you want to find information about, preceded (or followed) by onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

M33 is a nice intermediate body between slim and muscular, although it is probably a little closer to muscular. That said, it might be just a little bit less so than would typically work well for Arnie. But I can't say I've ever tried putting an Arnie head on one. Speaking of which, even with other heads, in certain cases you might find it helpful to stuff the neck (between the rubbery "flesh" and the stainless steel neck post) a little bit to get the right look. I do that all the time.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
The M33 is now also no longer available from GianToy, just as I was about to buy one. Neutral

Not paying the ridiculous prices (plus VAT) elsewhere.

I've messaged 'Amelia' to try and find out when/if they're getting more in.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Frustrating when GianToy runs out of stock... they are the best prices for those by far.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
GeeWillikers wrote:The M33 is now also no longer available from GianToy, just as I was about to buy one. Neutral Not paying the ridiculous prices (plus VAT) elsewhere. I've messaged 'Amelia' to try and find out when/if they're getting more in.

Hmmm they had them until recently. I'm sure they will stock up on them again, provided they are available from TBLeague. GianToy seems to be heavily invested in carrying TBLeague products. Good luck!

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
GubernatorFan wrote:Good luck!

Thanks Smile  It's probably just a case of bad timing on my part, I'm sure they'll have them back in stock soon.

More on topic: I've also just received a J10 PS (dark) and like the J10BS (wheat) it's a different shade than it's J11 counterpart, (this J10PS is somewhat more 'mud' coloured than the J11PS I already own) so it seems like the PS, BS and I assume YS suffixes are becoming increasingly arbitrary with those bodies, and they can only be depended on as a rough guide now.

A seller on Aliexpress is allegedy selling the new J12 BS01, but in the review comments one buyer complains that they've received a different shade altogether, so beware...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
GeeWillikers wrote:More on topic: I've also just received a J10 PS (dark) and like the J10BS (wheat) it's a different shade than it's J11 counterpart, (this J10PS is somewhat more 'mud' coloured than the J11PS I already own) so it seems like the PS, BS and I assume YS suffixes are becoming increasingly arbitrary with those bodies, and they can only be depended on as a rough guide now.
A seller on Aliexpress is allegedy selling the new J12 BS01, but in the review comments one buyer complains that they've received a different shade altogether, so beware...

Speaking from embarrassing personal experience, the difference between what you get with Jiaou Doll skin tones and what is shown in their promotional materials is so great, that I wouldn't be surprised if (like me) the buyer got exactly what he/she ordered, but it just looked unrecognizable, hence the complaint -- an honest error on the buyer's part, not the seller's. Of course, I don't know the particulars, and it could be otherwise. I'm just going by my experience.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
"Good News, Everyone!"

Got a reply from GianToy about the M33:

" Thanks a lot for contacting us.  
Sure! This item would be restocked soon. According to a recent communication with the supplier, it would be available in 1-2 weeks. 😉 "

BAMComix

BAMComix
GeeWillikers wrote:"Good News, Everyone!"

Got a reply from GianToy about the M33:

" Thanks a lot for contacting us.  
Sure! This item would be restocked soon. According to a recent communication with the supplier, it would be available in 1-2 weeks. 😉 "

Fantastic news! really pleased you will be able to get one bounce bounce bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum